ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Elko Has His Work Cut Out For Him

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
In the off season I expect Elko to lose the following starters / co starters from this year's defense...

SDE: Andrew Trumbetti
DT: Jonathan Bonner (likely moving on)
Buck: Greer Martini
Mike: Nyles Morgan
Rover: Drue Tranquill (likely moving on)

SDE: Jay Hayes and CB: Nick Watkins are up in the air for a 5th year.

Key returners will be...

WDE: Daelin Hayes
WDE: Julian Okwara
NG: Jerry Tillery
NG: Myron Tagaivailoa-Amosa
SDE: Jay Hayes (maybe)
SDE: Khalid Kareem
Buck: Te'Von Coney
CB: Julian Love
CB: Nick Watkins (maybe)
CB: Troy Pride Jr
CB: Shaun Crawford
S: Nick Coleman
S: Jalen Elliot

Players that must take the next step or make an instant impact for this defense to be as good or better...

DT: Elijah Taylor
DT: Jayson Ademilola
NG: Darnell Ewell
Buck: Asmar Bilal (needs to be moved)
Mike: Jamir Jones
Rover: Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah
Rover: Shayne Simon
SS: Alohi Gilman
FS: Derrik Allen

Do you have info that Tranquil and Bonner are moving on -- neither figures to get drafted and both might benefit with a free graduate degree? (ND does have a grad engineering program right?)

Otherwise, don't you think Elko is licking his chops, IIO? There will be a good share of seasoned talent coming back and some potential difference makers joining them as Freshman. The two most missed players will be Morgan and Tranquil (but Tevon will take Niles spot, right? and who will take Tranquil's? Perhaps a surprise there?)

I'm more worried about the offense losing it's best two players.

By the way Myron Tagaivailoa-Amosa has had an amazing first year (best Freshman on the team?) Surprised me that he made such an solid impact so soon...

Asmar Bilal... looks like a football player but is NOT a football player. He is so bad when he comes in and on special teams.

Ontario, where do you think he should be moved? The way he is playing I hope it’s the bench. Sorry for being so tough on him but it’s how I see it

Do you have info that Tranquil and Bonner are moving on -- neither figures to get drafted and both might benefit with a free graduate degree? (ND does have a grad engineering program right?)

Otherwise, don't you think Elko is licking his chops, IIO? There will be a good share of seasoned talent coming back and some potential difference makers joining them as Freshman. The two most missed players will be Morgan and Tranquil (but Tevon will take Niles spot, right? and who will take Tranquil's? Perhaps a surprise there?)

Bonner went on record saying that 1st this time he won't be returning and will stead be pursuing a career outside of football and putting his degree to use.

Word seems to be swirling that Drue will be moving on as well. His mechanical engineering degree will soon be complete, he's getting married, and he'll have a shot to play in the NFL.

Drue is getting married and yes, there are some NFL scouts that are showing interest in Drue in the later rounds. he may want to start earning a living for his family. At least, this is what I heard on the ND radio shows.

Reactions: Kelso86 and Ara64
I was thinking our D would be better next year. Now that IIO has rained on my parade I am worried about next year.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Asmar Bilal... looks like a football player but is NOT a football player. He is so bad when he comes in and on special teams.

Ontario, where do you think he should be moved? The way he is playing I hope it’s the bench. Sorry for being so tough on him but it’s how I see it

I think he should be given a luck at Buck. He doesn't play overly well in space but I'd give him a quick look before moving on to Jones, Jones, White, Lamb and Bauer.

I was thinking our D would be better next year. Now that IIO has rained on my parade I am worried about next year.

D line could be special. Secondary could be excellent and deep as well. Need better production from the safeties, however. Really it will be the linebackers that take a big step back both in terms of depth and overall talent.

Reactions: Kelso86
I think he should be given a luck at Buck. He doesn't play overly well in space but I'd give him a quick look before moving on to Jones, Jones, White, Lamb and Bauer.

I see no physicality or aggression from him. Bad traits for a LB, and very tough to teach.

D line could be special. Secondary could be excellent and deep as well. Need better production from the safeties, however. Really it will be the linebackers that take a big step back both in terms of depth and overall talent.

I guess that way they were recruiting linebackers hard this go-around.

coney will be a beast but the other two buck/rover are huge ?s.

I feel confident that one of those other 4 guys will step up to be solid at ILB beside Coney but there are serious questions marks at Rover. I doubt Bilal stays there and both Owusu-Koromoah and Shayne Simon are talented guys, but really young.

Drue has had a really good year. Not sure about an NFL career. Thought we would have him another year to allow Simon to learn and develop. Absent that, what’s the likelihood of someone like Heath getting a look at Rover? But hoping that Simon comes in and impresses from the start.

Reactions: Kelso86
Drue has had a really good year. Not sure about an NFL career. Thought we would have him another year to allow Simon to learn and develop. Absent that, what’s the likelihood of someone like Heath getting a look at Rover? But hoping that Simon comes in and impresses from the start.
The problem for Simon is experience. Rover is a position that requires instant reaction and that's a lot to ask of a freshman. Where action not thinking is critical, experience is required. A year with Tranquil would have been great for him.

Reactions: Telx1

Tranquil will get drafted and a lot higher than most think.

He has good pursuit angles and has some nice experience in the secondary which of course serves him well whether covering a running back coming out of the backfield or one if the many athletic tight ends in the NFL.

The bad...is the question....his health.

Two major knee surgeries will make any GM raise the eye brow but where he'll go in the draft the risk/reward is worth taking.

Reactions: Ara64

Just something I was noticing about Irish recruiting, they seem to be missing something every year. So last year it was Saftey's; This year they are short linebackers. Is it like this with all programs? or just the Irish?

I have doubt Tillery wants to chance another year. He will probably ask for a draft evaluation.
1st or 2nd round he might opt to go. His grade may be higher simply off physical stature and potential.
As of now, my thought as best guess is early 3rd Rd.

Just something I was noticing about Irish recruiting, they seem to be missing something every year. So last year it was Saftey's; This year they are short linebackers. Is it like this with all programs? or just the Irish?

It's not that ND is short on linebackers in terms of numbers, rather, it's a matter of Elko and Lea not bring overly thrilled about the talent and body types of the linebackers ND has waiting in the wings. Jamir Jones has an ideal frame but I don't know if he has great linebacker instincts. Drew White and Jhonathan Jones are natural, instinctual linebackers but White is 6'0 and Jones is 5'11. Even David Adams, who was highly ranked, is only 6'0 and he's coming off shoulder surgery.

If you look at Jack Lamb (6'4), Bo Bauer (6'3), Ovie Oghoufo (6'3), Shayne Simon (6'2.5), Peyton Wilson (6'4)' etc, etc, it gives you a good indication that Elko is looking for length at linebacker. Kids with big frames.

My guess is that of Adams, Jones, Jones and White, one of them will emerge as a really solid player much like Te'Von Coney did this year, but I like the direction Elko us taking linebacker recruiting in. If you're a short kid, with smaller frame, you better have surreal (Shane Lee) supporting intangibles or Elko isn't interested.

It's not that ND is short on linebackers in terms of numbers, rather, it's a matter of Elko and Lea not bring overly thrilled about the talent and body types of the linebackers ND has waiting in the wings. Jamir Jones has an ideal frame but I don't know if he has great linebacker instincts. Drew White and Jhonathan Jones are natural, instinctual linebackers but White is 6'0 and Jones is 5'11. Even David Adams, who was highly ranked, is only 6'0 and he's coming off shoulder surgery.

If you look at Jack Lamb (6'4), Bo Bauer (6'3), Ovie Oghoufo (6'3), Shayne Simon (6'2.5), Peyton Wilson (6'4)' etc, etc, it gives you a good indication that Elko is looking for length at linebacker. Kids with big frames.

My guess is that of Adams, Jones, Jones and White, one of them will emerge as a really solid player much like Te'Von Coney did this year, but I like the direction Elko us taking linebacker recruiting in. If you're a short kid, with smaller frame, you better have surreal (Shane Lee) supporting intangibles or Elko isn't interested.

Good assessment of LB’s. It is still a mystery why USC snubbed Lamb. I would wonder if the SC staff knew something, but experience says they really know little about much.

Recruiting is an imperfect science for any team not named Alabama. We only hear about the hits from other schools, not the misses.

Reactions: Blasky27
Good assessment of LB’s. It is still a mystery why USC snubbed Lamb. I would wonder if the SC staff knew something, but experience says they really know little about much.

Palaie Gaoteote and Raymond Scott are absolute studs. Bo Calvert committed early and he's a really good player as well. They're still in a battle with Ohio State for Solomon Tuliaupupu as well and they have a depth linebacker in fold as well. They have a chance to have a historically good linebacker class. I don't think they snubbed Lamb so much as they had their choice of West Coast backers, got 4 they really liked and just like ND, are trying to add a 5th if he's a stud.

I have doubt Tillery wants to chance another year. He will probably ask for a draft evaluation.
1st or 2nd round he might opt to go. His grade may be higher simply off physical stature and potential.
As of now, my thought as best guess is early 3rd Rd.
no chance Tillery is drafted in top 3 rounds

no chance Tillery is drafted in top 3 rounds

As an interior lineman I think he will Pennick. I see him as late 2nd early 3rd primarily off measureables. He's struggled over the last few games becuase our offense has been putrid and the D has been on the field way too long. But in terms of gap assignments dudes a stud and rarely gets moved.

Tillery has has had a really solid year. No complaints about his level of effort or game focus, etc... That said, he has not been a dominating disruptive presence, and not anywhere close to a third round NFL prospect in my opinion. Add his renaissance man interests and personality, and I think NFL teams will see him as too high of risk to take in the first six rounds, much less the third. I agree he has great measurables and the potential for a huge upside. He made great strides this year with consistently good play, but he really needs to show he can take his game to the next level and be a disruptive force, and he needs another year at ND to show he is a top three round talent.

Palaie Gaoteote and Raymond Scott are absolute studs. Bo Calvert committed early and he's a really good player as well. They're still in a battle with Ohio State for Solomon Tuliaupupu as well and they have a depth linebacker in fold as well. They have a chance to have a historically good linebacker class. I don't think they snubbed Lamb so much as they had their choice of West Coast backers, got 4 they really liked and just like ND, are trying to add a 5th if he's a stud.

The SC posters expressed doubt that Scott and Calvert stick. Bigger fish.
SC recruits late so it is hard to tell howthings will develop. SC does not have an elite recruiter on the whole staff.

Tranquil will get drafted and a lot higher than most think.

He has good pursuit angles and has some nice experience in the secondary which of course serves him well whether covering a running back coming out of the backfield or one if the many athletic tight ends in the NFL.

The bad...is the question....his health.

Two major knee surgeries will make any GM raise the eye brow but where he'll go in the draft the risk/reward is worth taking.
A big moment for Drue will be the combine assuming he gets an invite (can't imagine he wouldn't). When the doctors pull, prod, poke, and scan he knees (and every other joint for that matter), if he passes with flying colors then I agree, he could be a much higher pick than advertised.

Hey IIO,

I may have a mistaken memory on this, but didn't Diaco prefer a specific size, height, wingspan on his players at position which actually turned a few very good ball players away from ND in those early years of BK? I can't remember any specific names, but I feel like there were a few 6'0" kids and other around that size that ND passed on who went on to good/great things.

Not that this is an indictment on Elko. I like/love what he's brought this year with the short time he has had to work with, mold, and create with the ingredients in cupboard.

If what you say is true, is it a good thing that ND is back in the defensive recruiting aspect of picking from a select group of players? Or is this a case of being overly selective in which an undersized kid with skills, heart, and quickness gets put on the plan B list? I hope it's the former.

Last edited:
Hey IIO,

I may have a mistaken memory on this, but didn't Diaco prefer a specific size, height, wingspan on his players at position which actually turned a few very good ball players away from ND in those early years? I can't remember any specific names, but I feel like there were a few 6'0" kids and other around that size that ND passed on who went on to good/great things.

Not that this is an indictment on Elko. I like/love what he's brought this year with the short time he has had to work with, mold, and create with the ingredients in cupboard.

If what you say is true, is it a good thing that ND is back in the defensive recruiting aspect of picking from a select group of players? Or is this a case of being overly selective in which an undersized kid with skills, heart, and quickness gets put on the plan B list? I hope it's the former.

The last part of your post is correct. That's what I was talking about when I mentioned elie intangibles that a player must possess for Elko to be interested if he doesn't have ideal size. I quickly referenced Shane Lee, the stud 6'0 junior ILB who has already visited. Put it this way, he isn't turning down Reuben Foster because he's 6'0 or Te'Von Coney or Nyles Morgan because they are 6'1.

All I'm saying is that all things being equal, Elko is going to recruit longer, rather kids who can pursue faster and shrinknpassing lanes. You don't have to worry about him going full Diaco. He doesn't run a 3-4 defense that demands oversized players in the front 7.

The last part of your post is correct. That's what I was talking about when I mentioned elie intangibles that a player must possess for Elko to be interested if he doesn't have ideal size. I quickly referenced Shane Lee, the stud 6'0 junior ILB who has already visited. Put it this way, he isn't turning down Reuben Foster because he's 6'0 or Te'Von Coney or Nyles Morgan because they are 6'1.

All I'm saying is that all things being equal, Elko is going to recruit longer, rather kids who can pursue faster and shrinknpassing lanes. You don't have to worry about him going full Diaco. He doesn't run a 3-4 defense that demands oversized players in the front 7.
Very good. Thank you for your insight.

Hey IIO,

I may have a mistaken memory on this, but didn't Diaco prefer a specific size, height, wingspan on his players at position which actually turned a few very good ball players away from ND in those early years? I can't remember any specific names, but I feel like there were a few 6'0" kids and other around that size that ND passed on who went on to good/great things.

Your memory is just fine!

I think what Diaco complained about was that when he arrived at ND he could not visually clearly ID the DL from the LB group.

Reactions: ndnd
A big moment for Drue will be the combine assuming he gets an invite (can't imagine he wouldn't). When the doctors pull, prod, poke, and scan he knees (and every other joint for that matter), if he passes with flying colors then I agree, he could be a much higher pick than advertised.
You got that right.

The thing is ten years ago and further he would have been stuck in no mans land. Not big enough as a backer, too slow and not athletic enough to be in the secondary. Fast forward to present. The NFL still runs the ball but they pass so much more. Most tight ends are converted recievers from some point. The running backs must be able to catch the ball.

So now his skill set is absolutely ideal for present day.

No doubt they'll examine his knees and honestly they'll look him over everywhere more than normal just to make sure.

Reactions: ndnd
As an interior lineman I think he will Pennick. I see him as late 2nd early 3rd primarily off measureables. He's struggled over the last few games becuase our offense has been putrid and the D has been on the field way too long. But in terms of gap assignments dudes a stud and rarely gets moved.
I don't agree. He isn't a high draft pick. Not enough productivity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT