ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Brey to retire at end of season

Don't know if this is a serious post or not, but Bob Knight is 82 and suffering from dementia.
Just a wild ass guess but Id say hes joking. Anyways, Brey is like bk, very good coach but never great. He was in tough situation, hard to bring in bb kids who want to actually be a student. Time for some new blood, wish him all the best and he did quite well considering the circumstances.

Brey has had a very puzzling tenure. Had some big wins, but even more big losses. I used to have ND losing in the first round every time I filled out a bracket. I remember when we joined the ACC, I figured we'd be a perennial doormat. What does he do, but win the conference and get within a whisker of a Final Four. But since then, we have trended more in the doormat direction. So, yeah, it's time. We need someone who will recruit and play more than six or seven guys.

He did a great job here. I’m 30 and he’s the only coach Ive ever known (that I can remember). With that said it was the right time for him to leave. Thanks for the memories coach, hopefully we can finish the season well.
Onto the next chapter.

After his last press conference, this was not surprising and it showed it was time for him to step away from coaching. He just looked worn down the last few years and his teams seemed to take on that personality. As much as I thought he represented Notre Dame well, the results were just not there anymore. I hope Notre Dame basketball is still a brand that can attract a top tier coach.

Reactions: scubastevefl
He had a nice run, he made the tournament more times than not. He struggled early in his career with getting out of the first weekend.

He had a few years where they could have made the big dance with a first round Big East Tournament win and failed to come through.

The back to back Elite 8’s were impressive and the 2014-2015 team was a championship level team that could have won it all.

He had an investigation with Demetrius Jackson and some meals, other than that his program was mostly clean and graduated.

Great 23 seasons Coach Brey, enjoy your retirement and well earned.

Last edited:
Brey has had a very puzzling tenure. Had some big wins, but even more big losses. I used to have ND losing in the first round every time I filled out a bracket. I remember when we joined the ACC, I figured we'd be a perennial doormat. What does he do, but win the conference and get within a whisker of a Final Four. But since then, we have trended more in the doormat direction. So, yeah, it's time. We need someone who will recruit and play more than six or seven guys.
The ACC is always better when ND performs well. I remember when the men won the conference. Good times on your message board!

I’d like to see the Irish kick the tires on Jay Wright. Not sure if he would want to coach again after a successful career at Villanova but I would love to have him as a coach.

ND needs someone with a proven record as head coach in college. Pat Kelsey or Darian DeVries would be great hires.

I’d like to see the Irish kick the tires on Jay Wright. Not sure if he would want to coach again after a successful career at Villanova but I would love to have him as a coach.
Agree with this. Jay Wright would be a home run but likely not interested in a rebuild

Reactions: Kelso86
Brey's had a good run overall. Hard to believe he's been the coach for 23 years. But his ending reminds me of Digger's ending. He also had a lot of success, but had started going downhill the last 3 or 4 years of his tenure, like Brey.

Hopefully they can find a good up and coming replacement.

Reactions: Kelso86 and NDDadx3
I'd bet on Humphrey. Just seems like the type of pick Swarbrick would make,

Inglesby would be the home run because Williams won't leave the NBA.

I'd bet on Humphrey. Just seems like the type of pick Swarbrick would make,

Inglesby would be the home run because Williams won't leave the NBA.
Inglesby is just a little over 50% with Delaware..no thanks.

I’m not talking about availability because I have no idea if any of them would have an interest but I’d start w/ Jay wright, Tony Bennett & porter moser, in that order. Wright is in his late 50s, he still may want to coach. Bennett would be a coup, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Moser is the ? for a sure fire homerun but I’d take him in a heartbeat. Again, these may be pipe dreams but it couldn’t hurt to ask. And if it means opening up the checkbook, so be it. I’m tired of not being a legit contender in hoops all but a few times in the last 40 years. I miss my childhood when we were legit contenders in both hoops & football. 😞

Last edited:
Rick petino. Cleared by ncaa. Coaching at Iona.
I met Rick Pitino last year in Hofstra. They were hosting NYC Chsaa bb championships. Cardinal Hayes & Stepinac were playing. He was gracious & nice guy. ND would never hire him but the guys a winner. I also hoped St John’s would hire him

I think Pitino is a fantastic coach and would do great at ND. However he has too much baggage for ND to pull the trigger.

What about this guy in the article Sean Sweeney Apparently lives in South Bend in the off season when he’s not with the Mavericks. Plus he’s an Irishman with red hair! 🍀

I think Pitino is a fantastic coach and would do great at ND. However he has too much baggage for ND to pull the trigger.
Really. I remember when ND wouldn't hire Rick Majerus (sp?) from Marquette because he had admitted to cheating on an exam when in college.

Reactions: Kelso86
I’m not talking about availability because I have no idea if any of them would have an interest but I’d start w/ Jay wright, Tony Bennett & porter moser, in that order. Wright is in his late 50s, he still may want to coach. Bennett would be a coup, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Moser is the ? for a sure fire homerun but I’d take him in a heartbeat. Again, these may be pipe dreams but it couldn’t hurt to ask. And if it means opening up the checkbook, so be it. I’m tired of not being a legit contender in hoops all but a few times in the last 40 years. I miss my childhood when we were legit contenders in both hoops & football. 😞
I spent some time this week with someone close enough with Porter Moser to speak/text with him weekly. Their “opinion” is that Porter would take the ND job if offered. His buyout is currently $9mil but drops to $6mil on April 1. Obviously a hurdle, but I got the sense that Moser would help it to not be a deal breaker. Not saying Moser to ND will happen, but this will be interesting and I think Porter Moser is a more legit candidate than people think right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: francade
Really. I remember when ND wouldn't hire Rick Majerus (sp?) from Marquette because he had admitted to cheating on an exam when in college.
He wasn’t hired because he was divorced.

ADVERTISEMENT