ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan has a #1 secondary as per Football News....ND better be ready....

pikehead

Rockne's Water Boy
Feb 14, 2004
as per news leaks they will be unstoppable...Remember these are Michigan papers..ND should be on there toes.....

as per news leaks they will be unstoppable...Remember these are Michigan papers..ND should be on there toes.....

Unless something dramatic has happened in off season, the ball will likely be no where near either the wr’s or the DB’s.

The better clarification is the two corners did very well in coverage even when you account for opponent strength. I believe the two starting corners allowed only 21 catches combined. The bigger issue is that the two starting safeties busted some coverages. Good late season examples were the TD in the 2nd quarter in the OSU game and the long bomb in the 4th quarter of the SC bowl game.

What does this mean? In football you are often only as good as your weakest link. There was a cost last year to blitzing when someone busted a coverage. The good news as a UM fan as both safeties were young first year starters. This was just a mental issue of properly reading a coverage. The bad news is even though there is capable depth, last years starters will probably get the nod. So if someone replaces them the damage will already have been done.

I have mentioned this in the past but one of the topics on mgoblog is could UM present a 3 corner defense? Opposing teams thrived against UM last year by attacking safeties, slot fades, and RB wheel routes. Wheel routes will be harder because McCray has graduated. Though a great run stopper he was not good in space. However options one and two are open. If you have a 3 corner one safety base or 3 corner, one nickel, one safety, is that a better formation. If the corner is not as good in run support you will lose something there.

If you had the best secondary, wouldn’t it be THE #1 secondary, not A #1 secondary?

First question: Who was the best WR they played? B10 is not exactly a passing conference.

The better clarification is the two corners did very well in coverage even when you account for opponent strength. I believe the two starting corners allowed only 21 catches combined. The bigger issue is that the two starting safeties busted some coverages. Good late season examples were the TD in the 2nd quarter in the OSU game and the long bomb in the 4th quarter of the SC bowl game.

What does this mean? In football you are often only as good as your weakest link. There was a cost last year to blitzing when someone busted a coverage. The good news as a UM fan as both safeties were young first year starters. This was just a mental issue of properly reading a coverage. The bad news is even though there is capable depth, last years starters will probably get the nod. So if someone replaces them the damage will already have been done.

I have mentioned this in the past but one of the topics on mgoblog is could UM present a 3 corner defense? Opposing teams thrived against UM last year by attacking safeties, slot fades, and RB wheel routes. Wheel routes will be harder because McCray has graduated. Though a great run stopper he was not good in space. However options one and two are open. If you have a 3 corner one safety base or 3 corner, one nickel, one safety, is that a better formation. If the corner is not as good in run support you will lose something there.
Side note: You have the most boring and drawn out post. I mean, you make some good points but man... to get to the points the reader has to fight through a lot of yawns.

Side note: You have the most boring and drawn out post. I mean, you make some good points but man... to get to the points the reader has to fight through a lot of yawns.
I do not believe in twitter. I chaff at this generation that has a 3 second attention span. I guess people don't read books.

ADVERTISEMENT