ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Pratt?

thehellyousay

Rockne's Water Boy
Jan 2, 2010
Read on another site that Michael Pratt (Tulane QB) is being mentioned as a possible transfer candidate. Wondered if anyone else had heard his name mentioned.

He just led Tulane to the American Championship, knocking off Cincinnati on the road and UCF to win the title. went 25-5 TD/INT, rushed for 11 more TDs and about 400 yards.

They also knocked off Kansas State this year.

Thoughts?

Read on another site that Michael Pratt (Tulane QB) is being mentioned as a possible transfer candidate. Wondered if anyone else had heard his name mentioned.

He just led Tulane to the American Championship, knocking off Cincinnati on the road and UCF to win the title. went 25-5 TD/INT, rushed for 11 more TDs and about 400 yards.

They also knocked off Kansas State this year.

Thoughts?
Is he even in the portal? Or are we now just throwing at any names?

As I said, it was on another site that he was "frequently mentioned" as a candidate, so no, it's not a "random name", but no, he is also not in the portal.

I was asking if anyone had heard anything along those lines. I will put you under the category of, "have not heard anything"...

I haven't heard anything either. So go ahead and put me down for that. But that's curious though, I will watch some highlights. I wonder if Rees is now so consumed with getting a portal QB, especially after suddenly, and presumably unexpectedly losing DP, that we're just going to start cold-calling prospective grad transfer QBs. Pretty much anyone that's half-decent and theoretically could do it.

Otherwise how else do you even hook this sort of thing up? Just wait by the phone and hope that some hotshot potential transfer QB calls you?

I haven't heard anything either. So go ahead and put me down for that. But that's curious though, I will watch some highlights. I wonder if Rees is now so consumed with getting a portal QB, especially after suddenly, and presumably unexpectedly losing DP, that we're just going to start cold-calling prospective grad transfer QBs. Pretty much anyone that's half-decent and theoretically could do it.

Otherwise how else do you even hook this sort of thing up? Just wait by the phone and hope that some hotshot potential transfer QB calls you?
good question - I assume there is a gray area there, with third and 4th parties involved. obviously you can't just ask them.

It’s kinda sad, guy leads his team to a championship and the biggest bowl of their programs history and he’s being mentioned to possibly bolt. Now non Power 5 teams are basically the minor leagues.

It’s kinda sad, guy leads his team to a championship and the biggest bowl of their programs history and he’s being mentioned to possibly bolt. Now non Power 5 teams are basically the minor leagues.
that's how it works for coaches, might as well let players use their G5 job as a stepping stone to the P5 as well

I don’t think that’s the QB you spend your money on.

Go get Tua from Maryland if your going after someone who is not in the portal or Maye.

Reactions: d1042
Portal just opened today, unless your coach quit and schools have 48 hours to process before lusting names, if they decide to. Players can be directly contacted once in the TP.

Reactions: Kelso86
There's no real anti-tampering rules anyway though, right? The NCAA doesn't have the authority do they?

There's no real anti-tampering rules anyway though, right? The NCAA doesn't have the authority do they?
Yes, there are still anti tampering rules and yes, the NCAA still has the abilty to enforce things as to their member institutions. The problem is they are easily circumvented. If a player calls a friend or any other player and asks him to transfer to his school, that isn't improper under the rules. There probably isn't too much improper tampering just because you really don't need to.

Yes, there are still anti tampering rules and yes, the NCAA still has the abilty to enforce things as to their member institutions. The problem is they are easily circumvented. If a player calls a friend or any other player and asks him to transfer to his school, that isn't improper under the rules. There probably isn't too much improper tampering just because you really don't need to.
So then, these anti-tampering rules pre-existed NIL and no-penalty transferring? Because if they don't, and they were just recently created on account of these two new seismic shift rules changes, then maybe they don't have any real authority and they wouldn't stand up court. As in, the players had no say in the creation of such rules, and you are not allowed to get in the way, by way of any arbitrary anti-tampering rules, of blocking or hindering their ability to make money.

I don't know if that sort of argument could be made, given the sweep and the complete unequivocalality of the SCOTUS' denunciation of the NCAA racket. Either way, whether they've been on the books for a while or not, I could see them not standing up in court. In my layman's opinion....

I don't think you have read the case based on your statement, " given the sweep and the complete unequivocally of the SCOTUS' denunciation of the NCAA racket." The court opinion was limited.

In Alston Following a bench trial, the district court refused to disturb the NCAA’s rules limiting undergraduate athletic scholarships and other compensation related to athletic performance. At the same time, however, the district court found unlawful and thus enjoined certain NCAA rules limiting the education-related benefits schools may make available to student-athletes. Both sides appealed. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit affirmed in full. Unsatisfied with that result, the NCAA asked the U.S. Supreme Court to find that all of its existing restraints on athlete compensation survive antitrust scrutiny. The student-athletes did not renew their across-the-board challenge and, therefore, the Court did not consider the rules that remain in place. The Court considered only the subset of NCAA rules restricting education-related benefits that the district court enjoined. The Court upheld the district court’s injunction as consistent with established antitrust principles.

As the court noted The court enjoined only certain restraints—and only after finding both that relaxing these restrictions would not blur the distinction between college and professional sports and thus impair demand, and further that this course represented a significantly (not marginally) less restrictive means of achieving the same procompetitive benefits as the NCAA’s current rules. Finally, the court’s injunction preserves considerable leeway for the NCAA, while individual conferences remain free to impose whatever rules they choose. T

I don't think you have read the case based on your statement, " given the sweep and the complete unequivocally of the SCOTUS' denunciation of the NCAA racket." The court opinion was limited.

In Alston Following a bench trial, the district court refused to disturb the NCAA’s rules limiting undergraduate athletic scholarships and other compensation related to athletic performance. At the same time, however, the district court found unlawful and thus enjoined certain NCAA rules limiting the education-related benefits schools may make available to student-athletes. Both sides appealed. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit affirmed in full. Unsatisfied with that result, the NCAA asked the U.S. Supreme Court to find that all of its existing restraints on athlete compensation survive antitrust scrutiny. The student-athletes did not renew their across-the-board challenge and, therefore, the Court did not consider the rules that remain in place. The Court considered only the subset of NCAA rules restricting education-related benefits that the district court enjoined. The Court upheld the district court’s injunction as consistent with established antitrust principles.

As the court noted The court enjoined only certain restraints—and only after finding both that relaxing these restrictions would not blur the distinction between college and professional sports and thus impair demand, and further that this course represented a significantly (not marginally) less restrictive means of achieving the same procompetitive benefits as the NCAA’s current rules. Finally, the court’s injunction preserves considerable leeway for the NCAA, while individual conferences remain free to impose whatever rules they choose. T
Okay, if you say so. That sounds like your opinion. I'm not a lawyer, but every lawyer's take I've seen in the aftermath of the ruling was that the NCAA's authority was completely defanged. They can't stop players from getting paid, and they'd be fools to push their luck any further.

And what so great, was they used a message-board argument! And that's what got them destroyed so badly by a blatantly pro-business, pro-establishment SCOTUS. The same stupid shit you hear by online player-hating fans on CFB boards everywhere. And the NCAA's own high-priced lawyers tried to push the same bullshit. Unbelievable....

Full professionalization Is on the way, and with it collective bargaining. And then they'll have some rules in place, just like any other professional league.

Okay, if you say so. That sounds like your opinion. I'm not a lawyer, but every lawyer's take I've seen in the aftermath of the ruling was that the NCAA's authority was completely defanged. They can't stop players from getting paid, and they'd be fools to push their luck any further.

And what so great, was they used a message-board argument! And that's what got them destroyed so badly by a blatantly pro-business, pro-establishment SCOTUS. The same stupid shit you hear by online player-hating fans on CFB boards everywhere. And the NCAA's own high-priced lawyers tried to push the same bullshit. Unbelievable....

Full professionalization Is on the way, and with it collective bargaining. And then they'll have some rules in place, just like any other professional league.
Not my opinion, its what the court wrote.

Reactions: JWh2340
Weird, that's sort of the opposite of what the court wrote.
Yeah? So you got it all figured out then? You interpreted it perfectly, and all those lawyers and other pundits and assorted legal observers who are heralding the death of the NCAA as we know it are all just a bunch of woke little bitches who clearly don't get it?

Is that it? Please tell me you're at least a lawyer yourself. And not one of those internet autodidacts who reads the reports themselves, even though, why would I give a F what your own personal amateur take on a matter of fairly esoteric expertise? Especially when there's countless experts already opining on the subject. So hopefully you're a lawyer....

If it's any consolation the NCAA might be able to pull an end run, and get some sort of federal protection, which is reportedly what they're trying to arrange in a last-ditch attempt. But they have so much blood on their hands by now, no lawmakers want to be associated with that, doing their devil's work for them. Their brand is poison at this point. And I think their moment may have passed....

A LB from cal hit the portal today and committed to ucla this afternoon. Who honestly believes there was no prior contact between the two parties ? Drake Maye quoted as saying 15 schools had contacted him and money was involved. Tampering is rampant. College football is in fre fall

Yeah? So you got it all figured out then? You interpreted it perfectly, and all those lawyers and other pundits and assorted legal observers who are heralding the death of the NCAA as we know it are all just a bunch of woke little bitches who clearly don't get it?

Is that it? Please tell me you're at least a lawyer yourself. And not one of those internet autodidacts who reads the reports themselves, even though, why would I give a F what your own personal amateur take on a matter of fairly esoteric expertise? Especially when there's countless experts already opining on the subject. So hopefully you're a lawyer....

If it's any consolation the NCAA might be able to pull an end run, and get some sort of federal protection, which is reportedly what they're trying to arrange in a last-ditch attempt. But they have so much blood on their hands by now, no lawmakers want to be associated with that, doing their devil's work for them. Their brand is poison at this point. And I think their moment may have passed....
Yes, I am a lawyer, and I didn't interpret it, I quoted it. All the court did was apply the same antitrust rules that apply to all business to the NCAA. They didn't say anything about the NCAA racket and went out of their way to say they weren't adjudicating anything other than the antitrust issue.

And you do seem to give an F to my opinions, as evidenced by the frequent response to them.

A LB from cal hit the portal today and committed to ucla this afternoon. Who honestly believes there was no prior contact between the two parties ? Drake Maye quoted as saying 15 schools had contacted him and money was involved. Tampering is rampant. College football is in fre fall
It's not in free fall. Everything is completely fine. What is it with you people where you associate all this wheeling and dealing with the demise of the sport? How is there any connection between the two? The sport has seemingly never been more popular, with massive TV contracts piling up one on top of the other....

I think it's because you guys are so used to dealing in bad faith, whenever you opine on virtually any subject under the sun, you just start impulsively fear-mongering. It's just the language you guys speak I guess. I should be used to that much by now....

Yes, I am a lawyer, and I didn't interpret it, I quoted it. All the court did was apply the same antitrust rules that apply to all business to the NCAA. They didn't say anything about the NCAA racket and went out of their way to say they weren't adjudicating anything other than the antitrust issue.

And you do seem to give an F to my opinions, as evidenced by the frequent response to them.
Well that's a relief. You're still wrong, the NCAA is still very much toast, which is why they're not daring to enforce anything, whatever's left of their rule book, and their little bylaws. But being an actual lawyer gives you courage enough to at least wishcast it the way you'd prefer it to be. As you should....

Well that's a relief. You're still wrong, the NCAA is still very much toast, which is why they're not daring to enforce anything, whatever's left of their rule book, and their little bylaws. But being an actual lawyer gives you courage enough to at least wishcast it the way you'd prefer it to be.
I never said it wasn't in trouble, I said the connection you made to the SCOTUS case was wrong. The reason the NCAA is in trouble is because the new super conferences will not need them.

Also, I am not wish casting. I don't like the TP of the new NIL rules but crying about them does nothing. I coach's job is to win within the rules and laws. If teams want to impose other standards than those imposed by the governing body based on their values, that is fine. But they shouldn't cry about the impact of their own decision.

I never said it wasn't in trouble, I said the connection you made to the SCOTUS case was wrong. The reason the NCAA is in trouble is because the new super conferences will not need them.

Also, I am not wish casting. I don't like the TP of the new NIL rules but crying about them does nothing. I coach's job is to win within the rules and laws. If teams want to impose other standards than those imposed by the governing body based on their values, that is fine. But they shouldn't cry about the impact of their own decision.
Oh, well forgive me then. I shouldn't have put words in your mouth.

In any case, the NCAA is an evil institution, its only real purpose as an exploitative legal and administrative entity, and it's going down! The genie's out of the bottle anyway. As if they're going to go back to strictly enforced amateurism... I just wish top NCAA officers could go to prison for what they've done, or at least be sued personally into complete penury and die broken men. Wish there was some sort of legal mechanism for that. But like most all serious social change, the perpetrators of the previous criminal regime are going to walk away scot free, with only their guilty consciences as punishment.....

They still got their hooks in the men's basketball tournament, March Madness. Which I believe is the sweetest plum of them all. But the sport of CFB is gonna break away, and the players are going to make the money they deserve....

Oh, well forgive me then. I shouldn't have put words in your mouth.

In any case, the NCAA is an evil institution, its only real purpose as an exploitative legal and administrative entity, and it's going down! The genie's out of the bottle anyway. As if they're going to go back to strictly enforced amateurism... I just wish top NCAA officers could go to prison for what they've done, or at least be sued personally into complete penury and die broken men. Wish there was some sort of legal mechanism for that. But like most all serious social change, the perpetrators of the previous criminal regime are going to walk away scot free, with only their guilty consciences as punishment.....

They still got their hooks in the men's basketball tournament, March Madness. Which I believe is the sweetest plum of them all. But the sport of CFB is gonna break away, and the players are going to make the money they deserve....
Other than sending people to prison I agree with what you said.

There's a BIG difference between strictly enforced amateurism and guard rails to keep the train on the tracks. For example, one way they can get a hold on this is Title IX. You cannot convince me that NIL is being distributed in an equitable way in regard to that. Unlike the NFL, NBA, etc. who are organizations with the expressed purpose of playing a particular sport/gender. a College is still an institution whose primary goal is education of ALL students.

There's a BIG difference between strictly enforced amateurism and guard rails to keep the train on the tracks. For example, one way they can get a hold on this is Title IX. You cannot convince me that NIL is being distributed in an equitable way in regard to that. Unlike the NFL, NBA, etc. who are organizations with the expressed purpose of playing a particular sport/gender. a College is still an institution whose primary goal is education of ALL students.
Title IX doesn't apply. The schools aren't giving the NIL money out, outside groups are.

ADVERTISEMENT