ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Mayer

1Redrum

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Oct 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Has Michael Mayer officially opted out of the bowl game? I suspect he will but is he practicing with the team this week or is he just finishing up school and beginning his preparation for the draft?

Freeman told Foskey and Mayer to take a few days off while they focus practices in younger guys and then come back and discuss their plans.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Given where we are now with college football I don’t know why they would even think about it. Basically an exhibition game and why take the risk. It’ll have no impact on their draft status—-unless they get injured
2 words: Jaylon Smith

Given where we are now with college football I don’t know why they would even think about it. Basically an exhibition game and why take the risk. It’ll have no impact on their draft status—-unless they get injured
Especially when ND's own Jaylon Smith is sort of the poster boy for needlessly risking injury by playing in a meaningless bowl game, and then suffering an incredibly severe one....

Reactions: Rionegro
It’s kind of a bummer how eve gotten to the point where we just assume stars won’t play in their last bowl game if it isn’t the playoffs. I understand, it makes sense logically, but it’s still a bummer.

It’s kind of a bummer how eve gotten to the point where we just assume stars won’t play in their last bowl game if it isn’t the playoffs. I understand, it makes sense logically, but it’s still a bummer.
easily explained: me me me

Has Michael Mayer officially opted out of the bowl game? I suspect he will but is he practicing with the team this week or is he just finishing up school and beginning his preparation for the draft?
Finish the season with your teammates.

Reactions: Irish93
I like how we forgot that these are young men who practice hard year around for no other reason than to play a game they absolutely love.

I don't care how many millions may be on the line, I wouldn't miss a single opportunity to suit up and kick as much ass as i possibly could for the irish.

I like how we forgot that these are young men who practice hard year around for no other reason than to play a game they absolutely love.

I don't care how many millions may be on the line, I wouldn't miss a single opportunity to suit up and kick as much ass as i possibly could for the irish.
Playing football is what they do. They can get hurt anytime - even in the first practices as NFL rookies.

Reactions: Irish93
I saw where Ohio State receiver Jackson Smith-Njigba is sitting out the CFP to focus on the NFL draft. Now we have players sitting out the playoffs.

As an organization you want as many kids sitting out to protect their NFL draft stock as you can develop. It means the other games/reps they are playing in must be super high quality ones.

college football is DEAD : last rites pending!
NCAA basketball when players stayed was tremendous. The Chris Mullin vs Hoya Paranoia rivalries were great to watch. Duke when the players stayed. Unfortunately CFB is following suit. So basically if you’re not in the BCS playoffs then it’s a scrimmage game. Reps for 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: d1042
No reason to play lots of games after 3 losses. Maybe wrong, but did not seem like Hamilton was in any rush to come back.

It comes down to what you want. There are 1000 people who play through including the bowl and 1 Jaylon.

I don’t know why universities don’t take up insurance to protect kids if they want them to play.

Would be easy for an actuary to put a cost/payout.

Mayer would be 20M. Foskey 10M

Probably cost ND 100k for the entire team

No reason to play lots of games after 3 losses. Maybe wrong, but did not seem like Hamilton was in any rush to come back.

It comes down to what you want. There are 1000 people who play through including the bowl and 1 Jaylon.

I don’t know why universities don’t take up insurance to protect kids if they want them to play.

Hamilton set a new precedent by sitting out half the season.

Hell most players will get drafted on measurables anyways...

Why play at all?

Even for a title...

Too scared ....

Might get hurt...

Forego all 4 seasons

Might get hurt

there are many Jaylons (example the RB from Clemson)
and actuarily speaking the 20M would not cover the signing bonus! and there is the human adoration plus fame these kids value as much as the career $ value! Intangibles.

Hell most players will get drafted on measurables anyways...

Why play at all?

Even for a title...

Too scared ....

Might get hurt...

Forego all 4 seasons

Might get hurt
Tell that to Jaylon Smith.

"I don’t know why universities don’t take up insurance to protect kids if they want them to play"

Most universities do have some type of insurance for these kids

The freaking coddling bullshit continues right on...

If we were in the playoff like in 2018 y'all would say what? Ge should play?
We had absolutely zero chance to win a playoff game that year. None whatsoever!

You finish out the year you committed to playing.

Wrestling, tennis, fencing and the shooting team are all team but individually based sports.

Football is a team game. Has any teammate helped Mayer become what he is today?
Would his presence help either of the two tackles in the running game blocking?
I bet they have pro aspirations too...

If you comitted to playing a season then stay until the damn job's done.

The freaking coddling bullshit continues right on...

If we were in the playoff like in 2018 y'all would say what? Ge should play?
We had absolutely zero chance to win a playoff game that year. None whatsoever!

You finish out the year you committed to playing.

Wrestling, tennis, fencing and the shooting team are all team but individually based sports.

Football is a team game. Has any teammate helped Mayer become what he is today?
Would his presence help either of the two tackles in the running game blocking?
I bet they have pro aspirations too...

If you comitted to playing a season then stay until the damn job's done.
Michael Mayer has zero business playing against South Carolina.

Again. Zero.

Go enjoy the NFL, Michael.

And Thank You.

new rule: if you faeil to live up to the contract, that is you fail to complete / compete for your full season or any part of your eligible seasons, for any reason other than injury, then your contract for that season / academic year is voided and the university is entitled to full reimbursement of all associated cost related on your behalf, including tuition, fees, housing, training cost, medical cost, etc., for that season/academic year.

new rule: if you faeil to live up to the contract, that is you fail to complete / compete for your full season or any part of your eligible seasons, for any reason other than injury, then your contract for that season / academic year is voided and the university is entitled to full reimbursement of all associated cost related on your behalf, including tuition, fees, housing, training cost, medical cost, etc., for that season/academic year.
YEP, I advocated for this years ago !

ADVERTISEMENT