ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Mayer

I see it as a “generational“ issue.

The “me”, “entitlement” and “participation trophy” generation.

I think of Tom Brokaw’s book, “The Greatest Generation”, a generation that saw 18 year olds storming the beaches at Normandy and Iwo Jima in the face of murderous machine gun, mortar and artillery fire, versus the participation generation where guys need safe zones and cry if someone loses an election.

The “Band of Brothers” along with the concept of living up to your commitments and obligations seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I understand the risk factors, but you can mitigate that risk with insurance !
Absolutely positively damn straight

MM is crazy to play! Foskey is crazy if he plays! Pyne is crazy if he plays! Any draft hopefull is crazy if they play in what is essentially an exhibition game., Furthermore once on an NFL roster once their team is eliminated from contention they are crazy if they play another down! No.1 that’s where it’s at baby! No.1
Wait.... Did you just refer to Pyne as a draft hopeful?

Commitment to what? So fans, most of whom having zero ties to ND, never having stepped foot on campus, can root for him? His teammates? I’m sure they all would do the same. If anything, this gIves the young players a chance, the ones who will continue on with ND.

“You can’t live in fear.”

Easy for you to say or anyone else who’s not on the cusp of life-altering generational wealth to say. Additonally, Mayer can actually be an impact player on a winning team in the NFL and leave a long lasting legacy in the league, maybe even a hall of fame one. Yes, he can do so whether he plays this gsme or not, but even the possibility of tearing an ACL in a game that doesn’t mean much when we can have younger players play anyway is something that shouldn’t be risked.
Good lord am I listening to a stone?
Would you like to make a friendly wager?
I bet you that in the specific case of Mayer he already took out insurance on himself? If it was common knowledge abroad that you're the best TE or the top 3 TE in the country after your sophomore season mind you...
Don't you think it's wise to have got some insurance going forward?
Otherwise why play any games at all? Right? For what? A chance at a title? LOL...
Just like I said what exactly was coming next...top players skipping out on playoff games because it's only a game in the end and dolla bills mean everything.
Guess what...that's exactly what happened. The cat from OSU who is a top receiver said no thanks to playing again...
Hell don't you think his team could really use him?
www.si.com

McShay: NFL Scouts Question Jaxon Smith-Njigba Missing College Football Playoff - Sports Illustrated

The Ohio State wideout said his doctors decided he shouldn’t play anymore this season.
www.si.com
www.si.com
See what I'm saying...??
You either play in week 1 and finish out the season to completion or you don't play at all.
If you're on the cusp of great things then you better take some insurance on yourself because that cut you made in week 1 when your knee gave out could ruin your future the same as playing in a final bowl game...

Finish the damn season

I bet you that in the specific case of Mayer he already took out insurance on himself? If it was common knowledge abroad that you're the best TE or the top 3 TE in the country after your sophomore season mind you...
Otherwise why play any games at all? Right? For what? A chance at a title? LOL...
Just like I said what exactly was coming next...top players skipping out on playoff games because it's only a game in the end and dolla bills mean everything.
Guess what...that's exactly what happened. The cat from OSU who is a top receiver said no thanks to playing again...
www.si.com

McShay: NFL Scouts Question Jaxon Smith-Njigba Missing College Football Playoff - Sports Illustrated

The Ohio State wideout said his doctors decided he shouldn’t play anymore this season.
www.si.com
www.si.com
See what I'm saying...??
You either play in week 1 and finish out the season to completion or you don't play at all.
If you're on the cusp of great things then you better take some insurance on yourself because that cut you made in week 1 when your knee gave out could ruin your future the same as playing in a final bowl game...

Finish the damn season
Really easy playing with other people's future earnings.

Michael Mayer has zero business playing against South Carolina.

Again. Zero.

www.si.com

www.si.com
www.si.com
See what I'm saying...??

Finish the damn season
"The cat from OSU who is a top receiver said no thanks to playing again..."

The "cat" from OSU also was not cleared to play and was told by his team dr's he may not be

Bottom line is this -- you are pretty much the only one getting roiled up about it. Yea, society has changed -- some parts better, some parts worse. You want to blame anyone, blame Christian McCaffrey -- he began the shift!

Again. Zero.
I agree with whoever said the bowl games should be moved to the spring. They could replace the spring scrimmage.

"The cat from OSU who is a top receiver said no thanks to playing again..."

The "cat" from OSU also was not cleared to play and was told by his team dr's he may not be

Bottom line is this -- you are pretty much the only one getting roiled up about it. Yea, society has changed -- some parts better, some parts worse. You want to blame anyone, blame Christian McCaffrey -- he began the shift!
I don't "BLAME" anyone. The individual can do anything they so choose.
That said why play at all then?
Mayer was a top flight TE after last season, no? He could've injured himself on the first offensive play in Columbus let alone worried about a bowl game.
Oh he played to win a title? Alrighty then.
After losing to Marshall and Stanford I'm pretty sure I still seen Mayer playing. Why?
Break a record?
The title aspirations were weeks gone after three losses.
Again, why play at all?

If you've committed to a season then finish the damn thing.

BTW, did you actually read the SI article? There seems to be a slew of NFL scouts that disagree with your sentiment of the OSU receiver.

Again. Zero.
Then he had zero business playing any snap this season.

You can rally around quitters all you want meanwhile I'll stick with thosr who want to fulfill a comittment

Thx

Mayer bottom lines it for all you fossils who continue to obsess about stuff that has NOTHING to do with Notre Dame football being the name that it is today:

"The first reason I picked Notre Dame was the NFL, it was on my mind a very, very long time. I saw a lot of good tight ends in in the NFL from Notre Dame. That was one of the main reasons I went there."

Mayer bottom lines it for all you fossils who continue to obsess about stuff that has NOTHING to do with Notre Dame football being the name that it is today:

"The first reason I picked Notre Dame was the NFL, it was on my mind a very, very long time. I saw a lot of good tight ends in in the NFL from Notre Dame. That was one of the main reasons I went there."
The point is buzzing right over top...
Mayer is most likely a first round pick in this draft, no?
Odds are he was a first round pick in this draft even if skipped this year completely and kept up with a workout regimen until draft day and or combine day.

This year didn't vault him to tje first round. That was cemented last year

I don't "BLAME" anyone. The individual can do anything they so choose.
That said why play at all then?
Mayer was a top flight TE after last season, no? He could've injured himself on the first offensive play in Columbus let alone worried about a bowl game.
Oh he played to win a title? Alrighty then.
After losing to Marshall and Stanford I'm pretty sure I still seen Mayer playing. Why?
Break a record?
The title aspirations were weeks gone after three losses.
Again, why play at all?

If you've committed to a season then finish the damn thing.

BTW, did you actually read the SI article? There seems to be a slew of NFL scouts that disagree with your sentiment of the OSU receiver.
"BTW, did you actually read the SI article? There seems to be a slew of NFL scouts that disagree with your sentiment of the OSU receiver"

Don't need to -- have connections within the athletic department - who are much more reliable

BTW -- Mayer has declared for the draft.

Reactions: NDSMC78
www.si.com

www.si.com
www.si.com
See what I'm saying...??

Finish the damn season
No

Again. Zero.
Then why did he play the last 3 games ?

The last 5 games ?

This entire season ?

What is his or any players obligation to his team ?

What’s the line of demarcation ?

Reactions: 88ND

You can rally around quitters all you want meanwhile I'll stick with thosr who want to fulfill a comittment

Thx
👍

The concepts of “commitment” and “loyalty” are lost on this generation !

Reactions: 88ND
"BTW, did you actually read the SI article? There seems to be a slew of NFL scouts that disagree with your sentiment of the OSU receiver"

Don't need to -- have connections within the athletic department - who are much more reliable

BTW -- Mayer has declared for the draft.
LOL as do the countless NFL scouts...

Your point about Mayer declaring is what?

Thx
Why are you often arguing via either/or, false dilemma fallacies?

it's only a game in the end and dolla bills mean everything.
Why do I get the sense that in some other conversation you’d be advocating for the free market and individual decision making and responsibility? Does this line of thinking of “dolla bills“ not “mean[ing] everything” also extend to other areas, e.g., commitment to community, city, county, etc.? Or is that something different when your “dolla bills” mean everything?

Earlier in this thread you make the point that other people have helped someone like Michael Mayer get to where he’s gotten to which is true, but he is not letting any of those people down because each one of these players is graded on their own merit and there’s enough film and analytics available to touch them with or without Michael Mayer. I wonder if in a different context you would make the same argument that other people have helped a business owner get to where he or she has gotten by paying the necessary taxes to support infrastructure. Something tells me you have a much different take on that.

until Jaylon, I thought players should play! But from his injury forward, the risk is just not reasonable just to satisfy a few fans who live vicariously through efforts of athletes they don’t even know.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Why do I get the sense that in some other conversation you’d be advocating for the free market and individual decision making and responsibility? Does this line of thinking of “dolla bills“ not “mean[ing] everything” also extend to other areas, e.g., commitment to community, city, county, etc.? Or is that something different when your “dolla bills” mean everything?

Earlier in this thread you make the point that other people have helped someone like Michael Mayer get to where he’s gotten to which is true, but he is not letting any of those people down because each one of these players is graded on their own merit and there’s enough film and analytics available to touch them with or without Michael Mayer. I wonder if in a different context you would make the same argument that other people have helped a business owner get to where he or she has gotten by paying the necessary taxes to support infrastructure. Something tells me you have a much different take on that.
That something is assumption. Assuming is never good.
You can do it if you'd like but I'd recommend something much more accurate.
Ask. Just simply ask then you'll know for sure.

That all said exactly what point are you trying to make by integrating economics?
If I'm reading some of your assumptions correctly allow me to ask myself, for you, what I'd say in the different context you use as an example.

Let's use the professional sport's stadia in this country as the example.

If a professional sport franchise was handed a new venue from the state via it's resident's taxation,
The franchise and county and or state sign a 30 year lease agreement allowing the franchise to perform it's business activities on the premises.

If the franchise wanted to move before it fulfilled it's lease agreement of 30 years I'd something extremely similar.

Fulfill the 30 year commitment you signed.
The tax payers made that possible the least you could do would be to fulfill the 30 year comittment seeing it out to the end.

If that is what you're asking me did I answer that in a much different way that what you assumed?

I'm all for freedoms of the highest levels for individuals but that's the key word. Individual. Football is not an individualized sport.
This isn't Mayer vs the opposition. He's not taking on the entire team by himself. He needs contributions from others as they need his.

I say again if this were tennis, fencing, wrestling, diving or the rifle team then do whatever the hell you want. Those are INDIVIDUALIZED sports. Mayer plays a TEAM sport.

Finish out the year you committed to playing.

ADVERTISEMENT