ADVERTISEMENT

Media Rights

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
Apparently ND is targeting a new deal from NBC for at least 75 million. I know zero compared to Jack S knowledge of program but my first thought was “only 75?” If Big n SEC teams are getting $100 plus why can’t ND get same?

I have the same thought about the OSU game. If Scum can beat them why are we such dogs?

thoughts?

Apparently ND is targeting a new deal from NBC for at least 75 million. I know zero compared to Jack S knowledge of program but my first thought was “only 75?” If Big n SEC teams are getting $100 plus why can’t ND get same?

I have the same thought about the OSU game. If Scum can beat them why are we such dogs?

thoughts?
Best answer is to email Jack Swarbick and ask.

Average at best Oregon beat Ohio State in Columbus last season. That's a far better example than 2021 Big 10 champion Michigan defeating Ohio St. in Ann Arbor.

thoughts?
Michigan beat them in Ann Arbor for the first time in 9-10? years. That was also last year not this year. What happened last year has zero bearing on what happens going forward.

I do think the spread is too big but my guess is that Notre Dame still loses by two scores.

thoughts?
"If Scum can beat them why are we such dogs?"

Look at the way OSU (Oklahoma State) threw on ND -- especially in the 2nd half of the Fiesta Bowl. Conversely, look at OSU (Ohio State) -- they have a Heisman finalist at QB, 3 top notch receivers (Smith-Njigba(?) will probably be a top 10 NFL pick next year), Harrison and Fleming are no slouches either -- plus, what they have on the bench -- and, one of the best play-callers right now in College Football (Day). Look at what they did in the Rose Bowl throwing the ball. And, let's face it, ND's pass defense has not been overly stellar as of late. Now, 2022 is a new year and hope springs eternal -- but, let's all be honest, while ND does have talent -- there are a ton of question marks -- and playing there in Week 1 will be rough.
But, the positive is -- we are getting Ohio State at the right time -- Week 1. With a new DC (ironically, from Oklahoma State and the same scheme ND threw on as well), I am sure they have question marks as well -- I would suspect that by week 7-8, they will be a strong defensive unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: theskibro

Look at the way OSU (Oklahoma State) threw on ND -- especially in the 2nd half of the Fiesta Bowl. Conversely, look at OSU (Ohio State) -- they have a Heisman finalist at QB, 3 top notch receivers (Smith-Injigba(?) will probably be a top 10 NFL pick next year), Harrison and Fleming are no slouches either -- plus, what they have on the bench -- and, one of the best play-callers right now in College Football (Day). Look at what they did in the Rose Bowl throwing the ball. And, let's face it, ND's pass defense has not been overly stellar as of late. Now, 2022 is a new year and hope springs eternal -- but, let's all be honest, while ND does have talent -- there are a ton of question marks -- and playing there in Week 1 will be rough.
But, the positive is -- we are getting Ohio State at the right time -- Week 1. With a new DC (ironically, from Oklahoma State and the same scheme ND threw on as well), I am sure they have question marks as well -- I would suspect that by week 7-8, they will be a strong defensive unit.
Doesn't ND have a new DC? And wouldn't the same question marks apply? If they don't, then OSU's new DC has the benefit of having faced the ND defense. Either way....where is the advantage for ND?

Reactions: Kelso86
Doesn't ND have a new DC? And wouldn't the same question marks apply? If they don't, then OSU's new DC has the benefit of having faced the ND defense. Either way....where is the advantage for ND?
"Either way....where is the advantage for ND?"

I agree -- there is not much -- the only "advantage" ND has is that they have seen the scheme Knowles will run at OSU (OK State did not alter that in the Fiesta Bowl) -- now, how Ohio State's personnel takes to that new scheme is unknown.

The initial question to all of this was -- Why is ND such a big underdog (I believe the early line is ND +13.5) -- when Oregon and Michigan beat OSU by running the ball a lot. For me, a lot of it based on OSU's ability to throw the ball and they have a superior WR group than ND (at this time), and ND has shown a weakness in pass defense. Now, ND's "advantage" could be Al Golden -- OSU does not have any tape on how he will implement things at ND -- nor, how Rees will run the offense now that Kelly is gone (take the Fiesta Bowl out of the question as ND will not throw it 50+ times against Ohio State).

Last edited:

thoughts?
Ski, I’ve read that the Big and SEC are going to be getting around $75-80K per team, and that it MIGHT increase to $100K. Frankly, I was really pleased to read that ND is talking about this kind of number as a minimum. I would love to see NBC and FOX Sports and ESPN get Into a bidding war over broadcast rights to our games. However, it appears to me that FOX Sports and ESPN are facilitating the idea of two major conferences, which of course they would televise, and their preference then would be forcing ND to join a conference. It will be interesting to see if NBC will step up if they See no competition. Their risk of course, will be ND turning down an inadequate offer and joining one of these two conferences, and leaving NBC on the outside looking in. That’s the leverage Jack seems to be playing.

thoughts?
It's this thing in television called the "ratings." Notre Dame can produce media rights to 1 or 2 of the top ten rated games of the season, often played against a team from the BUG or $EC. But those two conferences account for basically all of the most watched games.

Also remember NBC buys the rights to ALL ND HOME games. So they don't get to broadcast ND @ anOSU but the Peacock is stuck with UMass & our new tradition of scheduling FCS schools. With a big conference those games are just dropped into the dustbin known as the BTN.

For those of you that missed it, there is a piece out on the internet that suggest that Netflix has tossed a number for streaming services out at 200 million to stream the games. The only thing I recall about the article was that it was mentioned that Netflix would keep a tailer at the Notre Dame home games for the entire season.

If you research this, you might be able to find the article.

'If' this is true and the 200 million dollar number is correct, I might suggest that a deal of such might make things very interesting for Notre Dame, NBC, CBS and Fox.

Beep, beep!

00TheBus00

Reactions: sluggo69
For those of you that missed it, there is a piece out on the internet that suggest that Netflix has tossed a number for streaming services out at 200 million to stream the games. The only thing I recall about the article was that it was mentioned that Netflix would keep a tailer at the Notre Dame home games for the entire season.

'If' this is true and the 200 million dollar number is correct, I might suggest that a deal of such might make things very interesting for Notre Dame, NBC, CBS and Fox.

Beep, beep!

00TheBus00
Yes, I missed it.

Yawn.

Beep, beep!

00TheBus00
Hi sjb.

Have you got in touch with Dabo @ Clemson to advise him on how to run his football program yet? I am rather confident that many board members here are waiting for your response.

00TheBus00

thoughts?
The sec is shopping all media rights to all sports.... Notre Dame is essentially selling the rights to air 6 home games in football exclusively.

When you look at what ND is selling, just 6 games, then getting $75 million sounds like a pretty good deal.

The reality is that ND is getting more than enough money to support the entire athletic program which is really what is important.

Reactions: theskibro

Look at the way OSU (Oklahoma State) threw on ND -- especially in the 2nd half of the Fiesta Bowl. Conversely, look at OSU (Ohio State) -- they have a Heisman finalist at QB, 3 top notch receivers (Smith-Njigba(?) will probably be a top 10 NFL pick next year), Harrison and Fleming are no slouches either -- plus, what they have on the bench -- and, one of the best play-callers right now in College Football (Day). Look at what they did in the Rose Bowl throwing the ball. And, let's face it, ND's pass defense has not been overly stellar as of late. Now, 2022 is a new year and hope springs eternal -- but, let's all be honest, while ND does have talent -- there are a ton of question marks -- and playing there in Week 1 will be rough.
ND was utterly unprepared for the hurry-up offense. Personally, I would have had players taking dives to get a chance to regroup.

But that's not the reason ND is such a dog. OSU basically scores on everyone. The reason ND is such a dog is because of the offense. Michigan ran the ball. Utah ran the ball. Oregon ran the ball. ND had a 3 score lead against Okie State, and could not run the ball. Granted, they didn't try that much, but they were only getting 2 yards a pop when they did. Gotta keep them off the field to have a shot. ND was #83 in rushing YPG last year. If that doesn't change, it will be a long day.

Buchner is a wild-card, but he is also largely unproven. Can he pull an Ian Book and put pressure on the defense with his feet? Or will he struggle making reads with 105,000 people screaming?

ND was utterly unprepared for the hurry-up offense. Personally, I would have had players taking dives to get a chance to regroup.

But that's not the reason ND is such a dog. OSU basically scores on everyone. The reason ND is such a dog is because of the offense. Michigan ran the ball. Utah ran the ball. Oregon ran the ball. ND had a 3 score lead against Okie State, and could not run the ball. Granted, they didn't try that much, but they were only getting 2 yards a pop when they did. Gotta keep them off the field to have a shot. ND was #83 in rushing YPG last year. If that doesn't change, it will be a long day.

Buchner is a wild-card, but he is also largely unproven. Can he pull an Ian Book and put pressure on the defense with his feet? Or will he struggle making reads with 105,000 people screaming?
I seem to remember ND would get 4 or 5 yards with a 2nd half rush, next to two incomplete passes.

The way to read this is a leak designed to say Hey NBC we can't pass up a pay raise like this.

What I have read is that NBC wants an ACC like deal between ND and the Big 12. The reason is they know that ND will bringing the viewers, but they want to play off that viewership by shouldering a Big 12 game. I don't know enough about ND to know if this is an option for them.

Last edited:
What I have read is that NBC wants an ACC like deal between ND and the Big 12. The reason is they know that ND will bringing the viewers, but they want to play off that viewership by shouldering a Big 12 game. I don't know enough about ND to know if this is an option for them.

The leak itself wrt the Big 12 and NBC almost assures this won’t happen. The exclusivity window FOX and ESPN enjoy over the next year and a half wrt the Big 12 makes it impossible for NBC to make a move without the permission of FOX and ESPN.

It would be interesting to know who leaked this, because whoever did intentionally sabotaged the deal, The way things are going, by the time NBC is allowed to actually talk to the Big 12, they could either be history, or already locked up by one or both of the other two networks.

The leak itself wrt the Big 12 and NBC almost assures this won’t happen. The exclusivity window FOX and ESPN enjoy over the next year and a half wrt the Big 12 makes it impossible for NBC to make a move without the permission of FOX and ESPN.

It would be interesting to know who leaked this, because whoever did intentionally sabotaged the deal, The way things are going, by the time NBC is allowed to actually talk to the Big 12, they could either be history, or already locked up by one or both of the other two networks.
love how internet experts know so much

NOT.

Reactions: Kelso86 and sjb75

I didn't know about the exclusive dealing period for the Big 12. Thanks for posting, it adds information to the discussion.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
I call BS on that, please provide links proving this supposed window.

Here's one article that alludes to it from ABC. Don't have time to google and link every source. If you don't believe me, just keep whistling past the graveyard.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sources-big-12-pac-12-partner-talks-officially/story?id=87043567 - :~:text=A%20Big%2012%20source%20countered%20that%20the%20Pac-12,are%20in%20the%20middle%20of%20media%20rights%20negotiations.%22

[The Pac-12 source said that the Pac-12 was skeptical of the full merger because the leagues' media rights expire at different times. A Big 12 source countered that the Pac-12 had expressed ways it could work around that.

"Because the Big 12 media rights can't be negotiated until 2024, Pac-12 schools have no motivation to join the Big 12," a Pac-12 source said. "The Pac-12 has announced that they're staying together and are in the middle of media rights negotiations."]

Reactions: Irish_Mutt
Here's one article that alludes to it from ABC. Don't have time to google and link every source. If you don't believe me, just keep whistling past the graveyard.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sources-big-12-pac-12-partner-talks-officially/story?id=87043567 - :~:text=A%20Big%2012%20source%20countered%20that%20the%20Pac-12,are%20in%20the%20middle%20of%20media%20rights%20negotiations.%22

[The Pac-12 source said that the Pac-12 was skeptical of the full merger because the leagues' media rights expire at different times. A Big 12 source countered that the Pac-12 had expressed ways it could work around that.

"Because the Big 12 media rights can't be negotiated until 2024, Pac-12 schools have no motivation to join the Big 12," a Pac-12 source said. "The Pac-12 has announced that they're staying together and are in the middle of media rights negotiations."]
All this means is the deal expires in 2024, it doesn't mean they can't have conversations about a new deal once the current deal expires.

If what you claim to be true in that they can't even discuss media rights, they clearly violated that as they discussed it with the PAC-12 discussions. You clearly lack reading comprehension, or you just don't understand it's acceptable to have conversations now about a contract that will expire in 2 years .

The reality is, nothing is stopping the BIG12 going to NBC and Notre Dame now to discuss an agreement they can have in place once the current agreement expires.

All this means is the deal expires in 2024, it doesn't mean they can't have conversations about a new deal once the current deal expires.

If what you claim to be true in that they can't even discuss media rights, they clearly violated that as they discussed it with the PAC-12 discussions as stated in the article. You clearly lack reading comprehension, or you just don't understand it's acceptable to have conversations now about a contract that will expire in 2 years .

Are you serious??????? :):):):):):):):)

Did you proof read what you just wrote??? You just wrote that the current Big 12 deal expires in 2024, and they can have conversations once the current deal expires. DAAAAAAAAAA. Look at a calendar. It's still freakin 2022. They can't negotiate with another media partner until 2024. Why??? Because they will violate their exclusivity window with FOX and ESPN. It even says in the article that the Pac 12 had to break off talks "because the Big 12 media rights can't be negotiated until 2024, Pac-12 schools have no motivation to join the Big 12".

The Big 12 can talk all they want to another Conference or Notre Dame about future membersip or hypotheticals. But they can't legally negotiate future media rights or contracts for the Big 12 until 2024 without FOX's or ESPN's permission.

If NBC had any visions of setting up "shoulder programming" between the Big 12 and Notre Dame, this intentional leak by someone has more than likely blasted it to smithereens. Now you know why UCLA let as few people as possible know about their talks with the Big Ten. One leak could have forced their athletic department to financially go down the toilet.

After your last post, I do get the feeling this is going WAY over your head. If so, I apologize.

Are you serious??????? :):):):):):):):)

Did you proof read what you just wrote??? You just wrote that the current Big 12 deal expires in 2024, and they can have conversations once the current deal expires. DAAAAAAAAAA. Look at a calendar. It's still freakin 2022. They can't negotiate with another media partner until 2024. Why??? Because they will violate their exclusivity window with FOX and ESPN. It even says in the article that the Pac 12 had to break off talks "because the Big 12 media rights can't be negotiated until 2024, Pac-12 schools have no motivation to join the Big 12".

The Big 12 can talk all they want to another Conference or Notre Dame about future membersip or hypotheticals. But they can't legally negotiate future media rights or contracts for the Big 12 until 2024 without FOX's or ESPN's permission.

If NBC had any visions of setting up "shoulder programming" between the Big 12 and Notre Dame, this intentional leak by someone has more than likely blasted it to smithereens. Now you know why UCLA let as few people as possible know about their talks with the Big Ten. One leak could have forced their athletic department to financially go down the toilet.

After your last post, I do get the feeling this is going WAY over your head. If so, I apologize.
They CAN have discussions with whomever they want about a new deal now. They just can't execute a new deal until the current one expires. Current deal says nothing about not being able to have discussions about a new deal now.

They CAN have discussions with whomever they want about a new deal now. They just can't execute a new deal until the current one expires. Current deal says nothing about not being able to have discussions about a new deal now.

You really don’t understand, do you? No matter what NBC promises Notre Dame wrt the Big 12, both FOX and ESPN can chop them off at the hip over the next year and a half. Now that FOX and ESPN knows what NBC’s strategy is, they can plan accordingly.

The chance of you getting “shoulder programming” wrt the Big 12 is now all but kaput. Along with that is your chance at $75 million unless you join a Conference.

The good News is if you joined a Conference, $75 million would be considered chump change. You would probably get substantially more, which is why I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this wasn’t leaked by someone from within Notre Dame.

You really don’t understand, do you? No matter what NBC promises Notre Dame wrt the Big 12, both FOX and ESPN can chop them off at the hip over the next year and a half. Now that FOX and ESPN knows what NBC’s strategy is, they can plan accordingly.

The chance of you getting “shoulder programming” wrt the Big 12 is now all but kaput. Along with that is your chance at $75 million unless you join a Conference.

The good News is if you joined a Conference, $75 million would be considered chump change. You would probably get substantially more, which is why I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this wasn’t leaked by someone from within Notre Dame.
You come on an ND board and spout bs like you are in the know when in fact you have absolutely zero knowledge of what's happening.

Fox and ESPN will be unable to chop them off at the hip. They can plan accordingly all they want, but the fact is Fox and ESPN only have the BIG12 to negotiate with. NBC will have ND with the BIG12. What you fail to understand is ND adds considerable value to any media negotiation because they have the eyeballs that will tune into the games. Fox and ESPN would fall all over themselves to get ND in a media deal with another conference for shoulder programming.

Again you don't know sh*t about what's going on except for your fantasy land opinions.

And even if it did, they could negotiate through lawyers confidentially.

Reactions: Kelso86 and NDinNJ
And even if it did, they could negotiate through lawyers confidentially.

You mean a handshake agreement with nothing in writing??? For $75 million???? Do you really think Notre Dame is that stupid????

NBC has absolutely NO power over what happens in the Big 12 for another year and a half. Do you REALLY think Notre Dame doesn’t know this???

Unless FOX and ESPN has given NBC permission for NBC to talk to the Big 12, NBC can’t legally or contractually promise squat for another year and a half.

You come on an ND board and spout bs like you are in the know when in fact you have absolutely zero knowledge of what's happening.

Fox and ESPN will be unable to chop them off at the hip. They can plan accordingly all they want, but the fact is Fox and ESPN only have the BIG12 to negotiate with. NBC will have ND with the BIG12. What you fail to understand is ND adds considerable value to any media negotiation because they have the eyeballs that will tune into the games. Fox and ESPN would fall all over themselves to get ND in a media deal with another conference for shoulder programming.

Again you don't know sh*t about what's going on except for your fantasy land opinions.

Once again, you’re unknowingly contradicting yourself.

First you say FOX and ESPN CAN’T chop NBC off at the hip. And then you go on to say FOX and ESPN would fall all over themselves to get Notre Dame in a media deal with another Conference. Again……DAAAAAAAA.

Sure FOX and ESPN would fall all over themselves to get Notre Dame in a media deal with another Conference. But it would be under THEIR terms. NOT NBC’s. Not for another year and a half.

Let me put it to you this way. What do you do if you make all these big plans with NBC, and all of a sudden the Big 12 isn’t available in a year and a half when the papers can be legally signed?

If I were a line judge in a blind-folded tennis match...I would probably read these threads rather than skip over them....but......alas.....

ADVERTISEMENT