ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe something else at work here...(REES)

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Ya know...

Let's just spitball a moment.

Perhaps the relationship between Rees and Freeman wasn't exactly sparkling.

Perhaps Rees is bitter he was only asked to retain his position when BK left. In other maybe he's pissed he didn't get offered the HC job. I don't think he was even interviewed for the job.

Perhaps he and Freeman don't get along.
Remember the job was Freeman's as long as Rees was retained.

I don't think this move is an advancement of sorts but rather one he's considered out of emotion.

There's something else going on in Denmark.

Whatever....there is only one HC job and Freeman is the one who really connects with recruits. Rees time will come....maybe as soon as 2024 but at the moment if he wanted to be a HC it would be at a significantly lesser program. Why? Because he has proven nothing. Zip. He should leave and go to Alabama as at the moment the majority around here thinks he is just a leftover lackey for Kelly who likely was not as good with the playbook as Kelly and had the same biases when choosing QB's. If he stays....he stays...if he goes....go now so we can truly speculate on who is coming in to be the new OC.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Ya know...

Perhaps Rees is bitter he was only asked to retain his position when BK left. In other maybe he's pissed he didn't get offered the HC job. I don't think he was even interviewed for the job.

I don't think this move is an advancement of sorts but rather one he's considered out of emotion.

To quote the immortal Crash Davis, " don't think, it can only hurt the ball club ""...

In all seriousness though why does Rees entertaining other offers cause some to believe there is some sort of problem inside the program ? He's 30 years old and his career is in its infancy. He owes it to himself to do what he believes is in his own best interests. Who amongst us wouldn't do the same ? Aren't we all continually trying to advance our given careers ? It's the nature of the coaching profession.

Ya know...

The reality is that swarbick retained Rees before freeman got the HC job. If anything, I'd say MF might want to hire his own oc. I think they get along fine, but both did what was needed to solidify the team last year and now it's ok if they want their own paths.

Ya know...

Not sure I would go that far, but ... in the beginning, I believe Freeman gave Rees TOO much autonomy when it came to the offensive side of the ball. My "guess" is Freeman had no idea of what style of offense he wanted (unlike Kelly -- love him/hate him -- he had a philosophy). And, perhaps, as the season progressed and Freeman began to grow as a HC (and he will still continue to grow -- hopefully), he started to state some expectations of what he wanted (the return to the run game is no coincidence here) -- maybe TR did agree with it --

Then again, using your initial comment, just spiff-balling a bit here.

In all seriousness though why does Rees entertaining other offers cause some to believe there is some sort of problem inside the program ? He's 30 years old and his career is in its infancy. He owes it to himself to do what he believes is in his own best interests. Who amongst us wouldn't do the same ? Aren't we all continually trying to advance our given careers ? It's the nature of the coaching profession.

Exactly, god. It's like EVERY SINGLE TIME someone doesn't do something other than act as if Notre Dame is the absolute pinnacle of existence people flip out and just can't understand it, attack the person, or whatever.

Notre Dame is NOT the be-all-end-all in the world. Get over it and let people make the decisions they feel are best for themselves and stop with the "Well someone didn't choose Notre Dame, there MUST be something sketchy in play here" garbage.

Because this move is not a career advancement… maybe he’s so smart and knows something history hasn’t shown with bama past OCs that don’t get crazy good roles immediately leaving bama unless they already had one before joining bama.

If you want to say it’s probably because he’d rather work for saban than freeman in same capacity, ok, I get it. But if he’s as good as he thinks he is, he could explode with great nd year, move on to nfl, then still have real good shot to be future nd HC. It’s all set up for him at ND, unless there is issues at nd with him freeman or program we don’t know.

Bama OCs haven’t become great HCs after leaving.

Exactly, god. It's like EVERY SINGLE TIME someone doesn't do something other than act as if Notre Dame is the absolute pinnacle of existence people flip out and just can't understand it, attack the person, or whatever.

Notre Dame is NOT the be-all-end-all in the world. Get over it and let people make the decisions they feel are best for themselves and stop with the "Well someone didn't choose Notre Dame, there MUST be something sketchy in play here" garbage.
I don’t see people blasting him for going, but more so not understanding the rational. Also, more of the attacks are on his poor performances at nd as player and coach.

Because this move is not a career advancement… maybe he’s so smart and knows something history hasn’t shown with bama past OCs that don’t get crazy good roles immediately leaving bama unless they already had one before joining bama.

If you want to say it’s probably because he’d rather work for saban than freeman in same capacity, ok, I get it. But if he’s as good as he thinks he is, he could explode with great nd year, move on to nfl, then still have real good shot to be future nd HC. It’s all set up for him at ND, unless there is issues at nd with him freeman or program we don’t know.

It is career advancement

Ya know...

Great job thinking

Reactions: Ndapolis1

"Because this move is not a career advancement…"

Says who? YOU?

If Rees BELIEVES this is an advancement for him (maybe not title wise -- but opportunity wise) -- who are you, or anyone else, to tell him it is not? He is doing what many of us professionals do -- looking for opportunities to learn, grow professionally, make more $$$, and ultimately, lead us to where we want to go in our own worlds. He is no different.

Beautifully stated. Kudos.

Reactions: Kelso86

Of course it's a career advancing move. Your resume just got better. OC at ND and Alabama ? That's pretty powerful. Have success in the SEC ? People at the next level are already paying attention to him. Going to Bama only improves his standing.

Says who? YOU?

If Rees BELIEVES this is an advancement for him (maybe not title wise -- but opportunity wise) -- who are you, or anyone else, to tell him it is not? He is doing what many of us professionals do -- looking for opportunities to learn, grow professionally, make more $$$, and ultimately, lead us to where we want to go in our own worlds. He is no different.
It's insane to say it's not advancement....

How many of the past 5 ocs at Notre Dame are head coaches in college or OCs in the pros?

How many of the past 5 ocs at Alabama are head coaches in college or OCs in the pros.

Riiiiggghhhtttt.

Says who? YOU?

If he believes this is careers advancements it’s solely due to saban, that’s fine, get it. Not great look for freeman if he doesn’t have stud lined up.

Perhaps Rees wants to learn how to run a program from observing arguably the greatest college football coach in history? And do so at a school where "WINNING" is defined as a National Championship or bust.

Are either of those 2 elements in place at ND?

Of course it's a career advancing move. Your resume just got better. OC at ND and Alabama ? That's pretty powerful. Have success in the SEC ? People at the next level are already paying attention to him. Going to Bama only improves his standing.
His resume is only title at nd, he didn’t do anything or note

I don’t see people blasting him for going, but more so not understanding the rational. Also, more of the attacks are on his poor performances at nd as player and coach.

His resume is only title at nd, he didn’t do anything or note
OC under the of 30 is nothing ? No way in hell you played college football. No chance . If you actually did you'd never make so many uneducated opinions.

Rees was not ever going to be offered the HC job. Not at age, like 29. Rees is kind of a punk, so I can imagine him being miffed about various things, little indignities.... but not that. He was not a candidate. Maybe now he will be if OCs a national championship at Bama....

His rationale is perfectly clear to anyone that thinks about it for 4 minutes...he took a coordinator job with a coach that MOST consider the best college football coach in history...at least since the immortal Knute...what else is there to it?

Last edited:
Reactions: BGI User 756

But they got better jobs after serving...but you won't acknowledge that, so you can ignore this comment

Reactions: BGI User 756
Ya know...

Clueless as usual! No brainer to go to Alabama.

OC under the of 30 is nothing ? No way in hell you played college football. No chance . If you actually did you'd never make so many uneducated opinions.
Does intramural football at a college or university count as "playing college football?"

Nobody suggested some sort of problem in the program.

ND.... if anything....
is trending up...

Right?

All indication by Rees was that he absolutely positively loved ND. Played here. Cut his coaching teeth here.
Blue and Gold through and through.

If he was just an assistant and got offered a coordinator job that's a promotion.
This is a lateral move from a place he absolutely positively
"loves"....
(his words and overall tone)

Certainly possible there's more to this than just taking a lateral coaching position.

Either way good riddance.

The offense needs freshened up big time.

Elite perimeter talent needs to land in South Bend more than once a decade.

Is he losing a stud? I've never heard you say that about Rees. Now he is a stud and if MF doesnt land one or looks bad. Which is it?
Stud lined up … not Rees is a stud … offense is ready to explode … no reason for nd to not have better OC that what we’ve had

Reactions: 88ND
Oh for sure. That had to be a tough pill to swallow. A guy with the same experience and he’s not an alumnus much less a former ND quarterback? And then Freeman overcomes a brutal start to the season and ends it being the media darling he started the season as… yeah I could see many people being envious of that.

Reactions: 88ND
It’s clearly a ploy by Saban to get Hartman. I can’t believe more people are blind to this. Rees is not Garrett Riley. Saban wants Hartman.
Wtf are you talking about? You think Nick Saban, the best college coach of our generation is choosing his oc to attract a one year rental?

No

Wtf are you talking about? You think Nick Saban, the best college coach of our generation is choosing his oc to attract a one year rental?

No
No...but he could be picking him to gain any edge he can on Brian Kelly.

Really now...think about this. Any OC could coach these guys at Bama to a great deal of success. The better the talent the easier it is to coach.

He has two thorns to deal with in the next few years.
Lane at Ole Miss and Brian Kelly at LSU.

Lane never gave shit about defense(still doesn't) and BK which he's definitely feeling out...

Clueless as usual! No brainer to go to Alabama.
Brian Van Gorder coaches here. 👇👇👇👇👇

I think you could start their very own message board and run the thing too.
I think you and BVG's family will be the only members so even you could moderate that.

Last edited:
But they got better jobs after serving...but you won't acknowledge that, so you can ignore this comment
Not really.
Lane...top of the world before his Saban stop.

Bill O'Brien...with Belechick...HC at PSU...HC at Houston NFL..
All before Saban stop.

You ****ing guys are dillusionaly trendy sorts.
OMG...nobody had success in anything until Saban employed them. WTFE....

Saban get white hot and in a groove at Bama. Plug and play.

He sucked at MSU....
He REALLY sucked in the NFL...

But hey...he only ever worked at Bama and never lost a game.

ADVERTISEMENT