ADVERTISEMENT

Marist Liufau and signs of a new recruiting philosophy: Is this good or bad?

Because the plan is still to give him a scholarship before Sept so that he can be eligible for 2019. Marist could have waited to sign until the Feb signing period but he decided to sign during the early signing period. Either way, he needed to sign before the final signing period ends or he won't be eligible for 2019.

I thought walk-ons were eligible without signing anything?

On another site I just read that Marist really opened some eyes at the Polynesian Bowl.

On another site I just read that Marist really opened some eyes at the Polynesian Bowl.
I watched it. All 3 of our guys played well. Marist had an INT and a few tackles. The opposing offense mostly avoided him, but he did likely blow his coverage on the one TD the other team scored. They didn't show a good camera angle on the play, so it's hard to say for sure how the WR got wide open, but you could see Marist desperately try to catch up to him as the ball was in the air. Still, he looked good overall. Here is his INT if anyone wants to see it:

Rutherford looked good as well. The opposing QB's mostly avoided him. He had PI called against him on a play that was otherwise played perfectly. He broke up the pass but had his hand on the WR's shoulder before the ball arrived. It was a borderline call because it didn't look like he affected the WR's ability to catch the ball. Still, if he hadn't touched him he still would have been in perfect position to bat the ball away.

Clark actually looked like he had the best day even though he didn't get many opportunities. He started off slow in his first series and a half but then started to hit his receivers. In the second half he only got 1 series with about 1 min to play, and man, he looked good. He was dropping dimes and moved the ball better than
Tagovailoa's little brother who got the most playing time. He also scrambled and ran very well. Unfortunately, he threw a pick in the end zone to end the game but he likely wouldn't have made the throw if the clock wasn't winding down.

Also, Asa Turner looked really good too. He had an INT, made several tackles, and was all over the field.

Reactions: Java65
ADVERTISEMENT