ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Freeman

Weisnheimer

Posts Like A Champion
Sep 25, 2005
My only hope for ND and HC Freeman is that he sticks to his word of being his own person. He can listen w/out showing his hand when the AD or the Admin. or the media or the big donors or alumni or any other group wants to bend his ear, but still make it his team because, it will be on him at the end of the day.

Bill Parcels came very close to getting canned when with the Giants. He knew it was his name on the line and on the team, and he had his staff and his team (and got LT) to do it his way or the highway.

Not exactly the same variables, but bottom line is he has to have all staff and players buy in. AND he has to make the difficult decisions that his gut tells him to make. Even if it riles (the above groups) and fan base.

For example, what we saw from that bowl game wasn't too promising from both coaches Rees and Freeman, but Freeman really had no time to learn the language of the Offense let alone for playing a bowl game. (BK really screwed ND we all know it, it's done).

For the Bowl game, I believe Freeman gave Rees the leash on offense simply because he had zero time to assess that side of the ball (and the language to control it). So we were left to witness was insanely stupid. Throw 67 times and hardly try any runs or make halftime adjustments. You have Alt and Kristofic playing much better going in, you have Patterson. You have Blake Fisher back and looking even better than ever. He simply dominated. I said it right after the game, he made RT look easy.

Then you have Chris Tyree, Logan Diggs and Audric Estime to choose from to run (actually a much stronger group than the WR group!) Yet Rees chose to pass 67 times. And guess what? WRs can get gassed too! So, not only were the guys on offense gassed, then we had Freeman's defense ineffectively gassed by ineffectively pressuring most of the game and second half. In Arizona weather. It was a bad game plan from both sides of the ball - actually hurting each other come 4th quarter.

I'm worried I saw no adjustments. Is that youth? Too much youth in key coaching roles? Communication re. game plan? It was a big ask to make it work in less than a month.

I guess all that throw-up and disgust (above) had to come out. But the point I wanted to make was that if Freeman sees the weakness (as I do) is Tommy Rees, he needs to man up and let him go. Rees will get this year simply because Freeman has too many other positions to fill while keeping recruits loved, and getting love to new recruits, and the 9 million other things now on his agenda (being HC).

Bottom line is I think ND can win an NC in the short term but only if we get a better and more experienced OC. I still feel pretty good about Freeman because again, it was a big ask in little time, yet not pleased with the game plan(s) not being modified for the 2nd half. Freeman could've said "Let's try some running plays and let's see if Buchner is feeling it for some of it this half". Or something similar, because it's his freaking team. Then, the choice for DC we still won't know about for a year, but I'll stop here.

Reactions: HL3402
My only hope for ND and HC Freeman is that he sticks to his word of being his own person. He can listen w/out showing his hand when the AD or the Admin. or the media or the big donors or alumni or any other group wants to bend his ear, but still make it his team because, it will be on him at the end of the day.

Bill Parcels came very close to getting canned when with the Giants. He knew it was his name on the line and on the team, and he had his staff and his team (and got LT) to do it his way or the highway.

Not exactly the same variables, but bottom line is he has to have all staff and players buy in. AND he has to make the difficult decisions that his gut tells him to make. Even if it riles (the above groups) and fan base.

For example, what we saw from that bowl game wasn't too promising from both coaches Rees and Freeman, but Freeman really had no time to learn the language of the Offense let alone for playing a bowl game. (BK really screwed ND we all know it, it's done).

For the Bowl game, I believe Freeman gave Rees the leash on offense simply because he had zero time to assess that side of the ball (and the language to control it). So we were left to witness was insanely stupid. Throw 67 times and hardly try any runs or make halftime adjustments. You have Alt and Kristofic playing much better going in, you have Patterson. You have Blake Fisher back and looking even better than ever. He simply dominated. I said it right after the game, he made RT look easy.

Then you have Chris Tyree, Logan Diggs and Audric Estime to choose from to run (actually a much stronger group than the WR group!) Yet Rees chose to pass 67 times. And guess what? WRs can get gassed too! So, not only were the guys on offense gassed, then we had Freeman's defense ineffectively gassed by ineffectively pressuring most of the game and second half. In Arizona weather. It was a bad game plan from both sides of the ball - actually hurting each other come 4th quarter.

I'm worried I saw no adjustments. Is that youth? Too much youth in key coaching roles? Communication re. game plan? It was a big ask to make it work in less than a month.

I guess all that throw-up and disgust (above) had to come out. But the point I wanted to make was that if Freeman sees the weakness (as I do) is Tommy Rees, he needs to man up and let him go. Rees will get this year simply because Freeman has too many other positions to fill while keeping recruits loved, and getting love to new recruits, and the 9 million other things now on his agenda (being HC).

Bottom line is I think ND can win an NC in the short term but only if we get a better and more experienced OC. I still feel pretty good about Freeman because again, it was a big ask in little time, yet not pleased with the game plan(s) not being modified for the 2nd half. Freeman could've said "Let's try some running plays and let's see if Buchner is feeling it for some of it this half". Or something similar, because it's his freaking team. Then, the choice for DC we still won't know about for a year, but I'll stop here.
A routine field goal missed or they win the game. Rees is an outstanding young coordinator and ND is fortunate to have him. He's still there because Freeman wanted him. If he didn't Rees would be in Baton Rouge. I love the staff makeup.

Rees didn’t “choose” to pass 67 times. Many of these passes were called run plays with the option to throw the ball based on defensive numbers and alignment. Why run the ball when you can more easily throw it?

There’s a lot more that goes into being a coordinator than basic run/pass playcalling. The offense put up 35 points and a 42-45 FG was missed.

I like what I see from Rees as a coordinator and believe ND has an asset there.

Last edited:
So passing 67 times garnering 1 TD in the 2nd half is your definition of an outstanding young OC? And what running options are you talking about when Coan is the QB?

And you guys are okay with sitting Buchner the whole game and throwing the ball 67 times, and not letting the kid see one snap? You guys (and alice giving a "like", are clueless).

So passing 67 times garnering 1 TD in the 2nd half is your definition of an outstanding young OC? And what running options are you talking about when Coan is the QB?

And you guys are okay with sitting Buchner the whole game and throwing the ball 67 times, and not letting the kid see one snap? You guys (and alice giving a "like", are clueless).
It took a total team effort to not win that game … giving up the TD just before half and just after half, RB fumble, poor tackling, short punts, missed FG … a lot of things had to go wrong and they did. It was a meaningless bowl game at the end of the day, plenty to feel good about what we saw and plenty to work on. At least we were in the game for a change.

I love the clueless comment. So because I disagree, that means I’m clueless. You’re the one who doesn’t understand that passing attempts doesn’t automatically mean passing playcalls.

That’s a very basic analysis.

I love the clueless comment. So because I disagree, that means I’m clueless. You’re the one who doesn’t understand that passing attempts doesn’t automatically mean passing playcalls.

That’s a very basic analysis.
You can stick with your analysis. I would think Coan wasn't second guessing play calls especially when he was in a position to showcase his passing acumen to the NFL and to the tune of 67 passing attempts. Or maybe think about it this way, how many run plays do you think he overruled or opted to change to a pass to amass 67 tosses? 20-30? Would Tommy, at some point and as an outstanding OC (and as a mediocre player, checked out of many play calls himself - detrimentally) come to Jack in the second half say, "Hey man, you gotta stop changing the play at the LOS and run the ball". "We can't be one-dimensional this half, they're expecting the pass". Of course, I would be giving too much credit to Rees to realize that, let alone say it.

I don't really know, we think it was Rees' offense this year, but we don't really know how many times Kelly stepped in to call and/or change plays. But Kelly wasn't there in the bowl game, and Rees, while making good calls - that were executed well in the first half, suddenly Coan ignores him in the second half and goes rogue to the tune of 67 passes? lol I doubt it.

This might be the most ridiculous post I've read in a while. The offense didn't lose the bowl game. The defense did. Jesus it's stunning to me just how stupid this board is. Rees did a good job with the offense, with a point average above 30, and scored 35 in the bowl game, with a missed FG and 2 second half turnovers; without Kyren!!!! The defense folded, we didn't get consistent pressure and our secondary was torched.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
You can stick with your analysis. I would think Coan wasn't second guessing play calls especially when he was in a position to showcase his passing acumen to the NFL and to the tune of 67 passing attempts. Or maybe think about it this way, how many run plays do you think he overruled or opted to change to a pass to amass 67 tosses? 20-30? Would Tommy, at some point and as an outstanding OC (and as a mediocre player, checked out of many play calls himself - detrimentally) come to Jack in the second half say, "Hey man, you gotta stop changing the play at the LOS and run the ball". "We can't be one-dimensional this half, they're expecting the pass". Of course, I would be giving too much credit to Rees to realize that, let alone say it.

I don't really know, we think it was Rees' offense this year, but we don't really know how many times Kelly stepped in to call and/or change plays. But Kelly wasn't there in the bowl game, and Rees, while making good calls - that were executed well in the first half, suddenly Coan ignores him in the second half and goes rogue to the tune of 67 passes? lol I doubt it.

Yeah I will stick with my analysis. I took about 3,500 words of notes and actually know what I’m talking about.

Coan wasn’t changing the play. It was simply throwing to open receivers by alignment. So its a run play, but if the defense is in X look, throw the speed out or hitch or fade (mostly speed outs). ND did that more in the first half than they did the second. There was actually a play in the second half where ND gained 4 yards on a run but the speed out was open to Styles by alignment. I believe the coaches wanted Coan to stick with the run call in that instance. There’s your adjustment for you.

There were also two triple option plays that WERE run plays even post-snap but they went in the stat book as pass plays. 3 yards and an easy pass for a first down. Another similar play that was a 3 yard gain but should have been bigger but for a missed block. The whole point is to gain numbers. If OKS had defended these two plays differently, ND would have had the numbers in the run game and gained yards. OKS took away the ballcarrier on the zone read so Coan just threw it to the outside instead of getting smashed by the linebacker.

They had another run play that looked well blocked but Coan threw the quick game and the play went for 12ish yards. I’d rather have that than 6 yards on the ground.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
This might be the most ridiculous post I've read in a while. The offense didn't lose the bowl game. The defense did. Jesus it's stunning to me just how stupid this board is. Rees did a good job with the offense, with a point average above 30, and scored 35 on the bowl game, with a missed FG and 2 second half turnovers, without Kyren!!!! The defense folded, we didn't get consistent pressure and our secondary was torched.
Agree. 35 points. A missed 41ish yard FG. That’s 38. Two turnovers when ND was in OKS territory. OKS finished #4 and #9 respectively in Total D and Scoring D. Not bad at all.

Versus the defense that gave up 37. A fumble on the 1 yard line. That’s 44. Missed FG. 47. A fumble on the ND 12. That’s 50-54. OKS also had a couple of near misses in the first half. Screen pass that should have been a first down but the back slipped. Another missed pass with an open receiver for a 15 yard gain on 3rd down. The D got shredded.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Yeah I will stick with my analysis. I took about 3,500 words of notes and actually know what I’m talking about.

Coan wasn’t changing the play. It was simply throwing to open receivers by alignment. So its a run play, but if the defense is in X look, throw the speed out or hitch or fade (mostly speed outs). ND did that more in the first half than they did the second. There was actually a play in the second half where ND gained 4 yards on a run but the speed out was open to Styles by alignment. I believe the coaches wanted Coan to stick with the run call in that instance. There’s your adjustment for you.

There were also two triple option plays that WERE run plays even post-snap but they went in the stat book as pass plays. 3 yards and an easy pass for a first down. Another similar play that was a 3 yard gain but should have been bigger but for a missed block. The whole point is to gain numbers. If OKS had defended these two plays differently, ND would have had the numbers in the run game and gained yards. OKS took away the ballcarrier on the zone read so Coan just threw it to the outside instead of getting smashed by the linebacker.

They had another run play that looked well blocked but Coan threw the quick game and the play went for 12ish yards. I’d rather have that than 6 yards on the ground.
You gotta be careful using football knowledge on this board :) ... the I hate Rees, fire this coach or fire that coach crowd just won't have it

Last edited:
Lets also not forget that OKS also got away with a couple of questionable non PI calls and one for sure where they grabbed Lenzy. That could have potentially been a touchdown pass.

Massive over reaction to bowl game by a fan . Oklahoma has some very good players . Nd had a young offensive line our best back out and a QB who has concrete sneakers for shoes . We scored 38 points let’s give Rees who I think is one of the best offensive coordinators in college football a brake

This might be the most ridiculous post I've read in a while. The offense didn't lose the bowl game. The defense did. Jesus it's stunning to me just how stupid this board is. Rees did a good job with the offense, with a point average above 30, and scored 35 on the bowl game, with a missed FG and 2 second half turnovers, without Kyren!!!! The defense folded, we didn't get consistent pressure and our secondary was torched.

Yea that's about as foolish as I've seen in a while, too. Rees calls in the 2nd half sucked! Run the damn ball! LET BUCHNER PLAY!! IT WASN'T ONLY ON THE DEFENSE, DUH!! Yea this board can be dumb as rocks alright and you fit right in. Leader of the stupid.

OMG, 3500 words that are meaningless to anyone like me that has watched and played for 55 years. I show it all the time on this board. Very few know as much as I do because of the eyes and wisdom about the game. I don't have to write shit down. I can sum a game up in 15 words as to what the biggest reason was that caused the result. lol please. 3500 words is supposed to impress anyone? I said it earlier a few days after the game. I put 85% of the blame on the coaches. The game plans for the O and D were terrible BECAUSE they gassed their players midway through the 3rd quarter. Hinish gave up on putting his hand on the ground. He couldn't breathe. OSU went up tempo and we were playing flag football or two hand touch by then. Zero adjustments, no different looks from either side of the ball.

Freeman will give Rees one more year and hopefully he will realize what I've seen from him for about 7 years - average to below avg. ability mentally and physically. Way too young to be the OC at UND. But, I will be psyched and rooting for Rees and ND as much as anyone when they visit the shoe.

Agree. 35 points. A missed 41ish yard FG. That’s 38. Two turnovers when ND was in OKS territory. OKS finished #4 and #9 respectively in Total D and Scoring D. Not bad at all.

Versus the defense that gave up 37. A fumble on the 1 yard line. That’s 44. Missed FG. 47. A fumble on the ND 12. That’s 50-54. OKS also had a couple of near misses in the first half. Screen pass that should have been a first down but the back slipped. Another missed pass with an open receiver for a 15 yard gain on 3rd down. The D got shredded.

Please. Woulda Coulda Shoulda.

Massive over reaction to bowl game by a fan . Oklahoma has some very good players . Nd had a young offensive line our best back out and a QB who has concrete sneakers for shoes . We scored 38 points let’s give Rees who I think is one of the best offensive coordinators in college football a brake

Anyone that thinks Rees is all that - - WHERE IS THE PROOF? WHAT HAS HE DONE? WHO HAS HE BEAT? If only he did this, or they didn't call that, a FG! They missed a FG!! So many reasons he's a genius that lost another big game. CLEAR HIM OUT! IN WITH THE NEW! IN FOR A PENNY; IN FOR A POUND!!! MY KINGDOM FOR AN INTELLIGENT POST!!!! lol

Anyone that thinks Rees is all that - - WHERE IS THE PROOF? WHAT HAS HE DONE? WHO HAS HE BEAT? If only he did this, or they didn't call that, a FG! They missed a FG!! So many reasons he's a genius that lost another big game. CLEAR HIM OUT! IN WITH THE NEW! IN FOR A PENNY; IN FOR A POUND!!! MY KINGDOM FOR AN INTELLIGENT POST!!!! lol
The level of intelligence would clearly rise if you simply refrained from posting.

"I don't really know"

The best words you have spoken all thread!

Reactions: notredamerises23
ADVERTISEMENT