ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Freeman has us playing smashmouth Lou Holtz football !!

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
We dominated a ranked team by using our superior physicallity against Cuse. We dominated a 7 and 1 ranked team (Nort Carolina) with a pro level QB by using our physical superiority. We dominated a highly ranked at the time BYU with our physical superiority.
We played smash mouth football and were beating the #2 team in the nation at halftime before we lost by 11 because Tommy got too cute.

We layed a couple of eggs against Marshall and Stanford because Marcus is still learning his way as a young coach. Marcus should of told Tommy to just run it down their throats the whole game.

Laundry boy (the coach poster from Florida) was working with tide and bleach in the locker room at the same age Marcus is learning his craft against teams like Oklahoma State, Ohio State, BYU, North Carolina, and planning for Clemson this week.

And in the mean time we are 5 and 3 with a recruiting class blue face could only dream of getting ! Including a 5 star qb !!!

I believe we are going to pound the crap out of Clemson this week!!. Maybe the score will be close but the Clemson players will know they have been in for a fight !! 24 to 22 Irish prevail !

Do you hear that Irish "there a tear in my"Beer and all thr rest of the Debby Dallas Downers !!

I have been to busy to post but my hats off to all of you true Irish fans that are carrying the flag for the Irish !! And there are many of you I am proud to say !

Go Irish !!! Beat Clemson !!

**** Marcus is a freaking genius using that tall tight end as QB ON SHORT YARDAGE PLAYS ! Tommy may be behind that too. Tommy is great one !

*** Brian Kelly is a yellow bellied, purple faced turncoat, Mr Sassy pants !! But I will give you this--he is an excellent football coach who turned the Irish around back to there winning ways ! He just couldnt get us over the hump as we frequently got embarrassed on the National stage because of his FEAR !!
Marcus Freeman is Fearless and is bringing in his type of RKG'S !!! Topp 100 and top 200 4 and 5 stars !! His recruiting is off the charts !! Best since Lou Holtz !! You with me @theskibro @Ara @Telx1 @DIP?
Get on the train before it leaves the station !

Last edited:
Hardly, ND under Holtz had a devasting I formation running game with half backs like Mark Green, Tony Brooks, Ricky Watters, Reggie Brooks, Randy Kinder, and Autrey Denson.

The attack featured the running of fullbacks like Anthony Johnson, Braxton Banks, Jerome Bettis, Ray Zellars and Marc Edwards.

ND could pivot to its Option Game with guys like Tony Rice, Rick Mirer and even Kevin McDougal making you pay dearly for playing man to man pass defense.

If teams still wanted to keep playing man to man defense. ND could strike through the air, WR Ricky Watters (1988 Flanker) Rocket Ismael, Lake Dawson, Mike Miller, Derek Mayes etc.

Not to mention had NFL 1st round draft picks in Derek Brown and Irv Smith to deal with.

Lou had a PHD in how to use screens, reverses and formations to attack a defense. The 2022 ND offense is a middle school offense compared to the "Holtz Bone" Which is why they laid eggs vs Cal, Marshall and Stanford.

Hardly, ND under Holtz had a devasting I formation running game with half backs like Mark Green, Tony Brooks, Ricky Watters, Reggie Brooks, Randy Kinder, and Autrey Denson.

The attack featured the running of fullbacks like Anthony Johnson, Braxton Banks, Jerome Bettis, Ray Zellars and Marc Edwards.

ND could pivot to its Option Game with guys like Tony Rice, Rick Mirer and even Kevin McDougal making you pay dearly for playing man to man pass defense.

If teams still wanted to keep playing man to man defense. ND could strike through the air, WR Ricky Watters (1988 Flanker) Rocket Ismael, Lake Dawson, Mike Miller, Derek Mayes etc.

Not to mention had NFL 1st round draft picks in Derek Brown and Irv Smith to deal with.

Lou had a PHD in how to use screens, reverses and formations to attack a defense. The 2022 ND offense is a middle school offense compared to the "Holtz Bone" Which is why they laid eggs vs Cal, Marshall and Stanford.
No one is a bigger fan of Lou Holtz than me. The 1988 team was not a study in offense. They wore you down but the passing game was a throwback to Knute Rockne. Miami now that was an offense.

Reactions: tbonesays
I do like watching that game against Miami in 88. That was some of the most talented coaches in CFB and Pro on both those sidelines including the assistants. The players were like a who's who of CFB and so many of them went pro and onto greatness in the pro's.

Man, George Streeter could lay some wood to you!

Adding #5 Rodney Culver to the list....

Lou Holtz lost to a Bill Walsh coached Stanford team that was not particularly talented, at home.
I was at that game … I believe it was 36-31 and Tommy Vardell scored 5 TDs

ND was ranked #1

Stanford was coached by Dennis Green, not Bill Walsh

We dominated a ranked team by using our superior physicallity against Cuse. We dominated a 7 and 1 ranked team (Nort Carolina) with a pro level QB by using our physical superiority. We dominated a highly ranked at the time BYU with our physical superiority.
We played smash mouth football and were beating the #2 team in the nation at halftime before we lost by 11 because Tommy got too cute.

We layed a couple of eggs against Marshall and Stanford because Marcus is still learning his way as a young coach. Marcus should of told Tommy to just run it down their throats the whole game.

Laundry boy (the coach poster from Florida) was working with tide and bleach in the locker room at the same age Marcus is learning his craft against teams like Oklahoma State, Ohio State, BYU, North Carolina, and planning for Clemson this week.

And in the mean time we are 5 and 3 with a recruiting class blue face could only dream of getting ! Including a 5 star qb !!!

I believe we are going to pound the crap out of Clemson this week!!. Maybe the score will be close but the Clemson players will know they have been in for a fight !! 24 to 22 Irish prevail !

Do you hear that Irish "there a tear in my"Beer and all thr rest of the Debby Dallas Downers !!

I have been to busy to post but my hats off to all of you true Irish fans that are carrying the flag for the Irish !! And there are many of you I am proud to say !

**** Marcus is a freaking genius using that tall tight end as QB ON SHORT YARDAGE PLAYS ! Tommy may be behind that too. Tommy is great one !

*** Brian Kelly is a yellow bellied, purple faced turncoat, Mr Sassy pants !! But I will give you this--he is an excellent football coach who turned the Irish around back to there winning ways ! He just couldnt get us over the hump as we frequently got embarrassed on the National stage because of his FEAR !!
Marcus Freeman is Fearless and is bringing in his type of RKG'S !!! Topp 100 and top 200 4 and 5 stars !! His recruiting is off the charts !! Best since Lou Holtz !! You with me @theskibro @Ara @Telx1 @DIP?

Bodi…I’m always on the train because I love ND and ND football, and all that represents. Those of us that express concerns about obvious weaknesses don’t forfeit our tickets, as most of us just crave a piece of the success and bravado we enjoyed with Ara and Devine and Holtz. Freeman’s challenge is to hold the fan base and his Recruiting classes together during a season where we have underperformed against weak opponents, all the while learning and developing as a HC in one of the most demanding HC positions in college football. A win against Clemson and a clean sweep of the last four games will accomplish this. It starts this Saturday. I don’t think we can pound the ball down Clemson’s throat without an efficient passing game, and that means the Pyne we saw against UNC and BYU has to show up. The wheels are turning!

Pretty sure you need a running qb to call yourself an option team. Pyne is close to Ron Powlus, the original.

Great post.

Your only omissions -- RODNEY CULVER who excelled even as a freshman and ROBERT FARMER who gained 660 yds at an 8.5 yds. per carry clip in 96 as a backup to Denson.

ROCKET also occasionally played TB and had DORSEY LEVENS not transferred, he would have figured in the mix as well.

Greatest collection of backs on ONE TEAM I've ever seen over any ten-year period. And that includes modern-day Bama and OSU.

Great post.

Your only omissions -- RODNEY CULVER who excelled even as a freshman and ROBERT FARMER who gained 660 yds at an 8.5 yds. per carry clip in 96 as a backup to Denson.

ROCKET also occasionally played TB and had DORSEY LEVENS not transferred, he would have figured in the mix as well.

Greatest collection of backs on ONE TEAM I've ever seen over any ten-year period. And that includes modern-day Bama and OSU.
+ Marc Edwards, Lee Becton and Ray Zellars

Jeff Burris was recruited as a RB but became an AA DB … Holtz was also the master of position switches which don’t happen much anymore. This could be a whole separate thread.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Smash mouth football is hard to do often anymore; the parity of talent is to the point where you can only do it a few times a year. Everyone knowing what you are about to do and then doing it is very hard to acomplish in ths day and age.

Reactions: tbonesays
I
Bodi…I’m always on the train because I love ND and ND football, and all that represents. Those of us that express concerns about obvious weaknesses don’t forfeit our tickets, as most of us just crave a piece of the success and bravado we enjoyed with Ara and Devine and Holtz. Freeman’s challenge is to hold the fan base and his Recruiting classes together during a season where we have underperformed against weak opponents, all the while learning and developing as a HC in one of the most demanding HC positions in college football. A win against Clemson and a clean sweep of the last four games will accomplish this. It starts this Saturday. I don’t think we can pound the ball down Clemson’s throat without an efficient passing game, and that means the Pyne we saw against UNC and BYU has to show up. The wheels are turning!
It is always GREAT having you on the train getting me ice cold Heinekins as I shovel the coal to keep the train going !
I miss Ara ! He used to spell me for a while and shovel the coal so I could take a break. You said you would help me once but you had a bad knee so I understood. I miss Ole Ara !
Go Irish !
Attack and defeat Navy ! General Kizer will be in command !

Reactions: irishalice
I

It is always GREAT having you on the train getting me ice cold Heinekins as I shovel the coal to keep the train going !
I miss Ara ! He used to spell me for a while and shovel the coal so I could take a break. You said you would help me once but you had a bad knee so I understood. I miss Ole Ara !
Go Irish !
Attack and defeat Navy ! General Kizer will be in command !
Loved the ride through South Bend last night, and getting you ice cold Heinekens while I sipped my Black Barrel Irish whiskey was my pleasure. My knees can no longer be an excuse as the replacements work great, but I‘ve got viable back up excuses as or when needed. You just keep shoveling and all will be well. But I was WRONG about what we needed from Pyne last night! Less than 50% completion and a meager 85 yards passing were way below the level of a passing game I thought we needed in order to run the ball Down Clemson’s throats! And you were RIGHT! An absolute thing of beauty.

Reactions: irishalice
The perfect storm that was the Clemson game has come and gone. The fundamental strengths and weaknesses of this team remain as they have been all season: the quarterback position is thin and marginal, as is the receiver position. The improvement in both the O line and the D secondary are a pleasant development and and surprise, for that matter. The question of "what will it take for Notre Dame to get to the next level" has not changed because of the outstanding Clemson game...it occurred in the same season as did embarrassing losses to Marshall and Stanford. This win does not change the needs of the program going forward.

Reactions: HDK and 4-4-3
The perfect storm that was the Clemson game has come and gone. The fundamental strengths and weaknesses of this team remain as they have been all season: the quarterback position is thin and marginal, as is the receiver position. The improvement in both the O line and the D secondary are a pleasant development and and surprise, for that matter. The question of "what will it take for Notre Dame to get to the next level" has not changed because of the outstanding Clemson game...it occurred in the same season as did embarrassing losses to Marshall and Stanford. This win does not change the needs of the program going forward.
Fair analysis.

It's easy to mistake dynamic fluctuations for overall trend reversals.

And vice versa.

Can you believe Lou didn't win a national championship with all of that great talent! (Coughlin out coached him with way inferior talent and they stole a Natty away from us.) Hard to believe we didn't get it done.

Lack of a good QB has us playing smash mouth football.

Reactions: futuredomer
I will eat crow. Thought we lost this game with pyne, didn't expect our o line had it in them. too bad I missed the game, I am in Cayo largo Cuba, memories resort, first vacation since 2019. Sorry handle is NDskins, no idea about this handle, will figure it out when I get back to canada

Lou Holtz lost to a Bill Walsh coached Stanford team that was not particularly talented, at home.
Twice. 1990 and 1992.
Edit:
As I continued reading the thread, I realize that ND lost to Stanford in 1990 when it was coached by Dennis Green. On the last play of the game Derek Brown was open in the end zone but couldn't come down with the ball.

Then in 1992, the team that Holtz thought could win a national title, turned the ball over several times as Stanford, coached by Bill Walsh, won going away.

Twice. 1990 and 1992.
Edit:
As I continued reading the thread, I realize that ND lost to Stanford in 1990 when it was coached by Dennis Green. On the last play of the game Derek Brown was open in the end zone but couldn't come down with the ball.

Then in 1992, the team that Holtz thought could win a national title, turned the ball over several times as Stanford, coached by Bill Walsh, won going away.
In the 92 game, ND led at the half, I believe, 16-0 and lost something like 31 to 16. I also seem to recall that in the second half, Mirer threw something like a DOZEN INCOMPLETIONS in a row.

Complete meltdown.

Most importantly, Saint Lou did not have the CFP Mulligan. One loss meant ND could not win the title. Not even in a field of 1 loss teams with a head to head win.

Saban's run was longer and greater, but he won many titles where a regular season **** up was forgiven.

Reactions: 4-4-3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT