ADVERTISEMENT

Manti Te’o and his girlfriend hoax to be subject of ESPN Backstory documentary

G_a_r_y

ND Expert
Jul 8, 2010
Te’o nearly won the 2012 Heisman Trophy, as he was the star defensive player for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. He took home nearly every major defensive award in college football that year. Notre Dame was an undefeated 12-0 heading into the BCS National Championship game vs. the Alabama Crimson Tide, but all we remember about him is his embarrassing catfishing saga and how his dead girlfriend inspired his run to the BCS National Championship Game and Heisman ceremony. The only thing is she didn’t exist.

https://fansided.com/2020/06/29/manti-teo-girlfriend-backstory-espn/

Happened 10 years ago. Over it. Dumb story. Mistake by a vulnerable, immature college kid.

Glad that all my F-ups aren’t turned into documentaries.....

Reactions: tkirish and Golson5
Te’o nearly won the 2012 Heisman Trophy, as he was the star defensive player for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. He took home nearly every major defensive award in college football that year. Notre Dame was an undefeated 12-0 heading into the BCS National Championship game vs. the Alabama Crimson Tide, but all we remember about him is his embarrassing catfishing saga and how his dead girlfriend inspired his run to the BCS National Championship Game and Heisman ceremony. The only thing is she didn’t exist.

Wowzers, we’ve never heard of this story, thanks so much for letting us know scoop.

would you watch if the story was about Harbaugh’s imaginary girlfriend?
or
his addiction to boogers?

Reactions: Ara64
I would like a 30 For 30 on Knute or Gipp. Fair and balanced. Not skewed one way or another. Only facts. Some facts may be hard to hear. That's OK as long as it is related to the theme and true. In fact, a 30 for 30 on Knute, Pop Warner, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Fielding Yost, Walter Camp. The "fathers" of college football coaching. Who were these coaching greats? What were their contributions to modern college football? How did they run and achieve success at their programs? That's a lot to pack into one hour, so perhaps a three parter is in order. "The First Dance". Anybody else on board?

I would like a 30 For 30 on Knute or Gipp. Fair and balanced. Not skewed one way or another. Only facts. Some facts may be hard to hear. That's OK as long as it is related to the theme and true. In fact, a 30 for 30 on Knute, Pop Warner, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Fielding Yost, Walter Camp. The "fathers" of college football coaching. Who were these coaching greats? What were their contributions to modern college football? How did they run and achieve success at their programs? That's a lot to pack into one hour, so perhaps a three parter is in order. "The First Dance". Anybody else on board?
Espn is a business. Ratings matter. This, while may be interesting to us and some, its not going to bring in big ratings

Espn is a business. Ratings matter. This, while may be interesting to us and some, its not going to bring in big ratings
LOL! I'm not sure ESPN's ratings are all that right now anyway. If ratings matter, why sink the ship with all this PC nonsense , from morning to evening? I heard that the ESPYs were a complete ratings disaster. It's their boat. Sink it just for spite.

The only thing I care about is which network is carrying ND away games. They can like or hate on ND all they wish; just carry the darn away games.

The only thing I care about is which network is carrying ND away games. They can like or hate on ND all they wish; just carry the darn away games.

I turn the sound is off anyways and just watch the action!

Reactions: IrishMike409
LOL! I'm not sure ESPN's ratings are all that right now anyway. If ratings matter, why sink the ship with all this PC nonsense , from morning to evening? I heard that the ESPYs were a complete ratings disaster. It's their boat. Sink it just for spite.
Race sells. People have an opinion one way or another. That's why espn and all media shove it down our throat.

Whatever it takes to motivate you. Obviously the PR department of Notre Dame blew that one. I would have spun it a little different to avoid the embarrassment. But in the end who gives a rip it doesn't change what a good college football player he was

Reactions: NDSMC78
Whatever it takes to motivate you. Obviously the PR department of Notre Dame blew that one. I would have spun it a little different to avoid the embarrassment. But in the end who gives a rip it doesn't change what a good college football player he was
If Teo's family had taken Swarbrick's advice and gone public ahead of the news stories, it would have been much different. As it ended up they were playing defense the entire time, and it didn't go very well. Lesson learned.

It would be kind of fun to take a peek into the closets of all the late night talk show dweebs, comedians, sports talk guys and sports media. All who aimed a relentless barrage of right hooks to Manti, a young college student. Then, after taking a peek into their closets, us fans can apply the same comedic standards for them that they set for Manti.

Reactions: francade
Teo was the best linebacker at ND since Bob Crable. The story , for him, is embarrassing, I’m sure. However, it had nothing to do with what he did on the field. It’s not like he was robbing stores, sexually assaulting women or taking drugs. You know, the things that are accepted as “ boys will be boys” mantra at a lot of schools. I got a good “ backstory” to air. How about all the arrests of football players at Florida while Meyer was coaching. How about let’s do a backstory on Jamie’s Winston at FSU. He was cleared , but I think some funny business was happening that got buried.

Reactions: francade
If Teo's family had taken Swarbrick's advice and gone public ahead of the news stories, it would have been much different. As it ended up they were playing defense the entire time, and it didn't go very well. Lesson learned.

Yep. The truth is embarrassing, so stick to the falsehood. Doesn't work

Reactions: ivan brunetti
That was an embarrassing story for everyone including ND.

Everyone?

No. It wasn’t. Kid hooked up with a swimsuit model & made millions playing in the NFL.

Internet losers will view it one way, his millions, success & laying with models will view it differently...LOL

He was a young, naive, unsophisticated kid from a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean who was taken advantage of.

But he was one hell of a football player !

Everyone?

No. It wasn’t. Kid hooked up with a swimsuit model & made millions playing in the NFL.

Internet losers will view it one way, his millions, success & laying with models will view it differently...LOL
At that particular time, it was a big embarassment to him and ND

Reactions: Pennick4
At that particular time, it was a big embarassment to him and ND

When you sit back and reflect on it, a nice young man was taken advantage of, vis a vis a cruel joke, and the MEDIA made a big deal of it, especially the anti-ND MEDIA !

IMO if he had just not used the term girlfriend when talking about her and just said someone had grown close too died, it would have saved him a lot of grief.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
I’m to the point where, except for a 30 for 30 that I’m really interested in, I watch no espn. I get my sports fill from blogs, and of course live action. The only game I’ll watch from start to finish is ND.

My favorite place for sports talk/info is here. The content flows consistently for almost 18 hours a day. Appreciate everyone’s contributions (even though we have the occasional disagreement).

Everyone?

Embarrassed himself, family and ND.

It is interesting how we project our perfect lives onto everyone else. I would love to open a few closets on this board. Let's take a count and see who will have the biggest skeleton, then the rest of us can make some popcorn, sit back, and judge the hell out of all those skeletons. Most here could not have withstood the public scrutiny, insults, and judgement from just about everyone, and still maintain their dignity.

It is interesting how we project our perfect lives onto everyone else. I would love to open a few closets on this board. Let's take a count and see who will have the biggest skeleton, then the rest of us can make some popcorn, sit back, and judge the hell out of all those skeletons. Most here could not have withstood the public scrutiny, insults, and judgement from just about everyone, and still maintain their dignity.
Well said, Toby. Like I said earlier: glad all my F-ups aren’t made into documentaries.

The situation was an embarrassment. But who he is as a person and man should never have been in doubt. Hes a classy guy and a role model for younger kids. He's winning in life. It sucks that situation happened and some people will only remeber him for that. He was a Legend here

ADVERTISEMENT