ADVERTISEMENT

LSU

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Cornerbacks are really really good...

Oh, and that QB isn't bad either.

Georgia, once again, with several top five recruiting classes underperforms, badly... I was pulling for them but this is bad.

Georgia, once again, with several top five recruiting classes underperforms, badly... I was pulling for them but this is bad.
They have a lot of injuries, but they ran into a buzzsaw and the best team in the country

Derek Stingley Jr (#24) their freshman corner, was the #1 player in the country last year. A generational talent. Grant Delpit (#7) their safety, is the best in all of college football. Started as a true freshman and was bonafide 5 star.

Elite, elite recruited and developed talent in that secondary.

Reactions: d1042
I didn't realize Derek is related to Darryl. He's Darryl's grandson. I wonder what Darryl would have thought about his grandson playing (and obviously excelling at) a game that forever changed Darryl's life. The rules and equipment have made the game much safer today, but it is still a very physical and, at times, brutal sport.

LSU’s offensive coordinator will be getting some looks. That’s a well-oiled machine and nearly impossible to stop. Even with all that, we’ll see what happens when that magician Burrow is off to the pros though his development has been incredible.

You’re right about Georgia’s relative waste of talent. On top of all that, the Bulldogs also have a good QB. 5 star talent on OL, DL, WR, CB and QB and unable to winnmore shows just how difficult it is to win in the CFP era.

Lastly, UGa should have went for the “higher ceiling” move and installed Fields even though they had a sure thing in Fromm being a very good QB.

Derek Stingley Jr (#24) their freshman corner, was the #1 player in the country last year. A generational talent. Grant Delpit (#7) their safety, is the best in all of college football. Started as a true freshman and was bonafide 5 star.

Elite, elite recruited and developed talent in that secondary.

you only know that because you pay attention!

LSU should jump back into the top slot. Tigers vs Sooners and Tigers vs Buckeyes.

Where’s Chase so he can tell us all about UGAs recruiting

Where’s Chase so he can tell us all about UGAs recruiting

you’re ridiculous! UGA was inthe playoff hunt till the final day and you use that as your criticism! how dumb is that!
Look at the teams that content! they support Chase’s contentions.

(Btw: UGA lost a few key guys before and during the season especially at WR, and the inability to stretch the field is what did them in; and that LSU is having a magical year!)

Clemson-tOSU-LSU and even Ok have recruited at very high levels!
“too many stars” ! that is ‘too many stars - can’t beat them’!

So disappointed nobody even mentioned UGAs conference/difficulty of schedule. Why does this get so easily overlooked in discussion? It's a MASSIVELY IMPORTANT/CRITICAL FACTOR.

Georgia's schedule (rankings are F/+) w/ cupcakes removed

Notre Dame #16
Auburn #10
Florida #11
TAM #24
LSU #2
Tennessee #39
Kentucky #42
Missouri #44
South Carolina #50

11-2 vs this schedule is pretty impressive.
UGA has finished top 5 or so in F/+ each of the last 4 seasons as well.

This is a playoff caliber/1st tier program stuck in by far the most difficult conference in college football.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
LSU had a great game and a great season, but for everyone falling all over themselves to defend Georgia, they got blown out from the opening drive. If they hadn’t also choked against a terrible S Carolina team, they might still be in the playoffs.

It’s time to go ahead and say Kirby wasn’t a significant upgrade at coach. They’re still the same almost there program they’ve always been, just with higher rated recruiting classes.

Reactions: graceh90
LSU had a great game and a great season, but for everyone falling all over themselves to defend Georgia, they got blown out from the opening drive. If they hadn’t also choked against a terrible S Carolina team, they might still be in the playoffs.

It’s time to go ahead and say Kirby wasn’t a significant upgrade at coach. They’re still the same almost there program they’ve always been, just with higher rated recruiting classes.

Yea it's just too bad you have to ignore every meaningful datapoint that exists to come to this conclusion.

If UGA is an “almost there” program, what does that say for BK and ND. Honestly we aren’t near that as far as coaching goes. Honestly, how would BK have fared against UGA’s schedule? 3-4 losses.

Shocking stat (IMO) for LSU from reading the box score - they only played 13 players on defense against UGA. I do not doubt they will get ranked #1 (deservedly) but wonder if that catches up with them in the playoffs.

If UGA is an “almost there” program, what does that say for BK and ND. Honestly we aren’t near that as far as coaching goes. Honestly, how would BK have fared against UGA’s schedule? 3-4 losses.
Maybe...
You and I agree on most things BK related but I don't believe the SEC is just so much more powerful than other conferences. The media has this trendy love affair with the SEC going back to the LSU/Bama titke game...Urban at Florida with Tebow and it's never really stopped.
The SEC is extremely top heavy. A couple teams that "have" and a whole bunch that are....meh. The SEC loves playing D1AA teams and hates leaving the cozy climate of the southeast come fall and winter.
That said,
I've always claimed the coach most similar to Brian Kelly is Kirby. Eerily similar.

Some people love to say well if BK moved on to a free reign admissions type school he'd have no problem winning a title.

I don't think so!!!

I truly believe you'd see a nearly identical result similar to Georgia. Close, but just not enough. Brian Kelly underachieving is what he does. So far Kirby Smart is underachieving.

Think about it....
Georgia allegedly is getting all this great material in recruiting yet every so often Kirby and the Bulldogs have one of those "WTH" just happened moments.
They've been really close at times yet so far away in others.

Georgia is getting more of the higher rated recruits than BK which has put the Bulldogs a little closer to a title...
but when you really think about that it's completely relative and eerily similar to BK.

Maybe...
You and I agree on most things BK related but I don't believe the SEC is just so much more powerful than other conferences. The media has this trendy love affair with the SEC going back to the LSU/Bama titke game...Urban at Florida with Tebow and it's never really stopped.
The SEC is extremely top heavy. A couple teams that "have" and a whole bunch that are....meh. The SEC loves playing D1AA teams and hates leaving the cozy climate of the southeast come fall and winter.
That said,
I've always claimed the coach most similar to Brian Kelly is Kirby. Eerily similar.

Some people love to say well if BK moved on to a free reign admissions type school he'd have no problem winning a title.

I don't think so!!!

I truly believe you'd see a nearly identical result similar to Georgia. Close, but just not enough. Brian Kelly underachieving is what he does. So far Kirby Smart is underachieving.

Think about it....
Georgia allegedly is getting all this great material in recruiting yet every so often Kirby and the Bulldogs have one of those "WTH" just happened moments.
They've been really close at times yet so far away in others.

Georgia is getting more of the higher rated recruits than BK which has put the Bulldogs a little closer to a title...
but when you really think about that it's completely relative and eerily similar to BK.
The SEC it's by far the best conference and has been for over 20 years

Disagree. The only team that scares me on that list is LSU. Yes, I believe we beat Auburn and Florida.

Georgia has been a top ten (many times top five) recruiting juggernaut for many years. Kelly would have won a national championship with that kind of talent. IMO -- he's a better coach, developer of talent than Kirby.

Reactions: graceh90
Shocking stat (IMO) for LSU from reading the box score - they only played 13 players on defense against UGA. I do not doubt they will get ranked #1 (deservedly) but wonder if that catches up with them in the CFB playoffs.
I think we've moved on to an era where it's all about "staying fresh" and using rotation depth instead of just flat out having your best 11 out there 99% of the game, but maybe college football coaches have taken it too far and its time to reel it back in a little and just play your best 11 ? who knows .. interesting stat though.

Last edited:
Georgia has been a top ten (many times top five) recruiting juggernaut for many years. Kelly would have won a national championship with that kind of talent. IMO -- he's a better coach, developer of talent than Kirby.

Under the previous regime, Georgia was recruiting similarly to ND. Bouncing around on the border of a top 10 composite class and occasionally having a cycle where it all came together and pushing through into the single digits.

Now Georgia is a mainstay in the top 3-5 under Kirby Smart. This is called recruiting above a program's baseline and Smart deserves massive credit for his recruiting success there.

Georgia has also been a lock in the top 5 of F/+ since 2016. He's been a few ball bounces away from having a national title and multiple sec championships under his belt. This is a firmly entrenched tier 1 program who would have been in every playoff game the last 4 years if they played in any other conference.

And lastly, I want to address the issue of the "SEC bias" especially in response to @88ND strong views on this topic.

When you use raw data that doesn't know what conference FBS teams belong to and just rank teams based on these very important criteria the SEC dominates college football:
  • Last 5 years of weighted team performance
  • Last 4 years recruiting classes
  • Returning production from the season prior
These are the main criteria used for modern advanced ranking systems to pre-rank football programs prior to the start of a new season.

It's how they get their initial rankings/initial schedule difficulty/etc.

The SEC is usually full of teams that are recruited better than everybody else, full of veteran teams with a lot of star players returning from the season prior, and full of teams that have performed better than everybody else over the last 5 years.

When you look at sites that breakdown out of conference P5 record the SEC has dominated the top spot on aggregate going back to the BCS era.

This is not a bias, it's a fact, the SEC is college football's daddy. The ACC is terrible and the teams in the middle have all fallen somewhere in between depending on the year. Altough the Big 10 has been way up in recent seasons but still WAAAAY BEHIND the SEC.

Shocking stat (IMO) for LSU from reading the box score - they only played 13 players on defense against UGA. I do not doubt they will get ranked #1 (deservedly) but wonder if that catches up with them in the playoffs.

I wonder if they did so knowing that they’d get three weeks off before the SF game. Playing only 13 players in today’s game is really unheard of if the box score is to be accurate.

UGa has a player listed who recorded zero tackles, sacks, INTs, or QB hurries. He’s the only player I saw got listed in the box score who didn’t record anything (looked st 6 box scores from this weekend), so I’m assuming that even someone who didn’t record anything gets listed.

Under the previous regime, Georgia was recruiting similarly to ND. Bouncing around on the border of a top 10 composite class and occasionally having a cycle where it all came together and pushing through into the single digits.

Now Georgia is a mainstay in the top 3-5 under Kirby Smart. This is called recruiting above a program's baseline and Smart deserves massive credit for his recruiting success there.

Georgia has also been a lock in the top 5 of F/+ since 2016. He's been a few ball bounces away from having a national title and multiple sec championships under his belt. This is a firmly entrenched tier 1 program who would have been in every playoff game the last 4 years if they played in any other conference.

And lastly, I want to address the issue of the "SEC bias" especially in response to @88ND strong views on this topic.

When you use raw data that doesn't know what conference FBS teams belong to and just rank teams based on these very important criteria the SEC dominates college football:
  • Last 5 years of weighted team performance
  • Last 4 years recruiting classes
  • Returning production from the season prior
These are the main criteria used for modern advanced ranking systems to pre-rank football programs prior to the start of a new season.

It's how they get their initial rankings/initial schedule difficulty/etc.

The SEC is usually full of teams that are recruited better than everybody else, full of veteran teams with a lot of star players returning from the season prior, and full of teams that have performed better than everybody else over the last 5 years.

When you look at sites that breakdown out of conference P5 record the SEC has dominated the top spot on aggregate going back to the BCS era.

This is not a bias, it's a fact, the SEC is college football's daddy. The ACC is terrible and the teams in the middle have all fallen somewhere in between depending on the year. Altough the Big 10 has been way up in recent seasons but still WAAAAY BEHIND the SEC.

Actually not true. I went back to 2005 and Georgia was right there with the big boys. I disagree that you need top five recruiting numbers every year (OU and Clemson have proved you wrong.) (*See my post where I compare numbers of all teams in the final four this year back to 2015.

Georgia's numbers going back to 2005:

10-4-9-7-6-15-5-12-12-7-6-9-3-1-1 (*And going back to 2015 they have better recruiting numbers than any of this year's top four teams....)

Sorry, but Georgia has the recruiting numbers to win (Clemson did in 2017 with way worse numbers) -- this is a case of coaching...

Did they only play 13 or did only 13 players make a tackle to get on the box score. My guess is definitely the latter

Did they only play 13 or did only 13 players make a tackle to get on the box score. My guess is definitely the latter

It has to be the latter. Especially when you factor the score, it’s pretty unlikely only 13 guys got on the field.

Actually not true. I went back to 2005 and Georgia was right there with the big boys. I disagree that you need top five recruiting numbers every year (OU and Clemson have proved you wrong.) (*See my post where I compare numbers of all teams in the final four this year back to 2015.

Georgia's numbers going back to 2005:

10-4-9-7-6-15-5-12-12-7-6-9-3-1-1 (*And going back to 2015 they have better recruiting numbers than any of this year's top four teams....)

Sorry, but Georgia has the recruiting numbers to win (Clemson did in 2017 with way worse numbers) -- this is a case of coaching...

I don't even know what argument you are responding to.

OU hasn't won a national title since ~2000.
Clemson is the exception to the rule. They are the only program since the turn of the century who've been able to win a national title without being firmly entrenched in the T1 of recruiting/talent rankings (with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 other Cinderella programs who had a generational talent at QB).. I think this says more about how uniquely fantastic Dabo Swinney and his coaching staff is more than anything else. Next year this will all change of course because Clemson will be heading into the 2020 season with one of the most talented 85 man rosters in the country once their mediocre 2016 class drops off.

Anyway, if you look at the 5 full classes under Mark Richt (prior to Kirby Smart), Georgia ranked about 8-9th in average class ranking. In Kirby smarts first full 3 classes his ranking is #2. If you include his partial class in 2016 (when he was hired), and you include his 2020 class (next NSD) his ranking "falls" to 3rd/4th on aggregate.

Point here is that Georgia is recruiting on another level entirely (way above Georgia's 'baseline') since Smart was hired. He deserves credit for being able to recruit the type of talent that can hang with anybody. He didn't 'inherit' the talent he and his staff procured it.

Since he came on board, Georgia and Alabama have been going toe to toe as 1A and 1B in the SEC (by far the most dominant conference in college football). Bama has been the slighly better program but in a Saban dominated era anything "slightly behind" Bama is a victory in and of itself.

Georgia was supposed to be a better team this year and I honestly don't know enough about their program to say what went wrong this year but Smart has killed it since taking over (Georgia would be a 12-1/13-0 juggernaut in any other conference prior to this season) and has that program clicking on all cylinders and has accomplished way more in several seasons than Richt ever did in his 15 years there.

Last edited:
If ND had an elite or dynamic coach they would have top recruiting classes. Five stars see Kelly as "meh".

I agree with this point.

The best talent wants to play for the best coaches. And they have way more at stake than a 'rooting interest' ... they have millions of dollars potentially on the line.

This is why I see recruiting rankings as more than just a university popularity contest. It's a definitive data point/measurement-- in my view--as to who the very best coaches in college football are.

I agree with this point.

The best talent wants to play for the best coaches. And they have way more at stake than a 'rooting interest' ... they have millions of dollars potentially on the line.

This is why I see recruiting rankings as more than just a university popularity contest. It's a definitive data point/measurement-- in my view--as to who the very best coaches in college football are.
Just focus on the QB position. Who in their right mind would suggest a marquee QB to go play for Brian Kelly?

Reactions: Leahylads
Looks like that is the case - I was mistaken in thinking that everyone that plays gets logged into the box score.

you’re ridiculous! UGA was inthe playoff hunt till the final day and you use that as your criticism! how dumb is that!

(Btw: UGA lost a few key guys before and during the season especially at WR, and the inability to stretch the field is what did them in; and that LSU is having a magical year!)

Too many stars but not enough depth! Got it

They lost to South Carolina and got pounded by LSU. Injuries have never been an excuse for ND but rather the UGAs and Bama just plug in another 5 star! Oh Pers

ADVERTISEMENT