ADVERTISEMENT

LSU vs ND 2022

Kelly took over a 6-6 team and improved it, freeman took over an 11-1 team and did far worse.
That 6 win team had a ton of talent. All he did was be competent and that was a huge upgrade over Weis. Who wouldnt have improved that year?

I don’t really like the idea of playing anyone with Mayer and Foskey on the sideline. Bowl games have become a farce.

That 6 win team had a ton of talent. All he did was be competent and that was a huge upgrade over Weis. Who wouldnt have improved that year?
So a better coach took over for a lesser coach and did better?

So a better coach took over for a lesser coach and did better?
Yeah. Kelly was a better coach than Weis. He left him a lot of talent.

It also didnt hurt we only played 2 ranked teams in 13 games. 15th and 16th

Unfortunately, this year our schedule got much tougher and Kelly left the QB and WR room bare.

We'll see how MF does when he gets a real QB and starts bringing in better talent

Reactions: Ndapolis1

Unfortunately, this year our schedule got much tougher and Kelly left the QB and WR room bare.

We'll see how MF does when he gets a real QB and starts bringing in better talent
Your narratives to minimize anything Brian Kelly accomplished in South Bend are interesting to read.

You should be Marcus Freeman's PR guy.

Your narratives to minimize anything Brian Kelly accomplished in South Bend are interesting to read.

You should be Marcus Freeman's PR guy.
I'm not minimizing him. He brought stability and credibility back to ND. I appreciate that

Give me a break. Cry me a river. There are 85 players on scholarship. Line up and play.
Yep. It'll be good for other guys to get those reps. And all the practices you get from being in a bowl game. Bowl games are good for the young players

11-1 was more likely in 2022 with kelly than 7-5.

If we use history and are honest, BK was 1-6 vs top 5 opponents. That record alone puts you at 9-3 with blow out losses to 2 of the 3, one being close.

He more than likely beats Stanford and Marshall.

I'd say a fair guess would be 9-3, same old same old, beat who you should, lose to who you should.

As much as I hated Marshall, I loved Clemson and BC. It was also refreshing to be in the other 2 games to the last minute.

I'm not really sure I believe the SOS. BK played 2 top 10 teams, MF played 3. MF also played more ranked teams at the time they played.

But, i will give you BK is one win better, just not a quality win.

no excuse for Stanford and marshal, that’s 100% coaching and prevented a good season

If we use history and are honest, BK was 1-6 vs top 5 opponents. That record alone puts you at 9-3 with blow out losses to 2 of the 3, one being close.

He more than likely beats Stanford and Marshall.

I'd say a fair guess would be 9-3, same old same old, beat who you should, lose to who you should.

As much as I hated Marshall, I loved Clemson and BC. It was also refreshing to be in the other 2 games to the last minute.

I'm not really sure I believe the SOS. BK played 2 top 10 teams, MF played 3. MF also played more ranked teams at the time they played.

But, i will give you BK is one win better, just not a quality win.
Clemson although top 5 at the time isn’t that good… those top 5 teams Kelly lost to were some of the best teams over the last decade or two… 3 of those 6 losses were to the national championship winner …I’m not a Kelly fan but at this time, far better coach than freeman … freeman already can recruit better than Kelly

I really want Freeman to succeed as he seems a great fit for ND. That said, I personally dislike his sideline presence as shown during the telecasts. He doesn’t “appear” to be in control of anything. By that I mean it looks to my eye that he is a very hands off head coach during games, and relies on his coordinators to be totally in charge of their areas of responsibility. There’s a distinction between delegating and abdicating, and I hope we see Freeman more visibly involved interacting with both Staff and players during games.
I agree with ALL of that.

Plus, to me, he looks like he's afraid that there are IED's out on the field and that one might go off at ANY SECOND.

I agree with this. He reminds me of Lovie Smith, has the head set on but never says a damn thing!
Yes, where is the IN-GAME coaching? Is it merely a SPEECH at halftime?

But then look across to the other sideline at Riley. He's UP TO HIS EARS in the action.

Night and day.

Reactions: Chitown11
He had jack Coan last year. If he had this years drew pyne last season we probably start the season 1 and 4.

Last year Kelly with Drew Pyne Kelly is probably 8 and 4

This year id say between 7 and 9 games. We'd still have Quinn so maybe 7 is more likely
Kelly would not have adopted the run heavy offense that was the salvation of this season. He would have Pyne trying to find the hot read all day long and blame a failure to execute.

Reactions: 88ND
LSU 9-3 with SOS of 7 and pre season not ranked

ND 8-4 with SOS of 31 and pre season ranked 5th

Do I think LSU has ND talent, nope. It goes to show what good (not even great) coaching can do. With good coaching ND is 10-2 this year and ranked between 6-8.

Freeman and company are bringing in the talent but can they learn how to coach and coach to win week in and week out in 23 and moving forward. I sure hope so. Kelly couldn't relate and get the top level talent, I think freeman can if he can show coaching ability.
So BK...
If at ND this year...
Loses to OSU
Loses to Syracuse
Loses to Clemson
Loses to USC

At a minimum!

Stanford he probably wins and possibly Marshall but I'm not locked in to that.

Other question marks...
UNC...might be a BK loss..
BYU...?
Navy..?

What I can say for certain is we would've folded and acted completely disinterested against USC.
That game had Michigan and Miami type games all over it.

We didn't get embarrassed and matter of fact a bounce here...a receiver or two ...god forbid they come back to the ball ...help out the QB...
And we might have stolen a win.
I stress might because that USC QB is a tough cat.
He was money and a real pita to deal with.

If he plays that way against everyone else the rest of the way USC will be a tough out

Kelly would not have adopted the run heavy offense that was the salvation of this season. He would have Pyne trying to find the hot read all day long and blame a failure to execute.
Absolutely positively damn straight. His run heavy was 33 trucking and a damn joke. East west run plays taking an eternity to develop...

Oooohhhhh he llloooovvveeeddd that play. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

33 trucking in the big games had several flat tires

• Haha
Reactions: chaseball
Kelly's first year at ND he went 8-5, with losses at home to Navy (by 18!) and Tulsa. Best win was Utah, which ended up ranked #23. He lost 3 of his first 4 games.

Kelly's second year, he went 8-5, with a loss in the home opener to South Florida, another C-USA team that went 5-7. Lost his first 2 games.

Now you could say the cupboard was bare, but they had Michael Floyd, Kyle Rudolph, Tyler Eifert, Cierre Wood Manti Te'o, Harrison Smith, Theo Riddick, Zack Martin, et al. You could say he had no QB, with an under-performing blue-chipper in Dayne Crist, and a plucky but not very talented Tommy Rees.

What did Marcus inherit? Wide receiver room has been neglected - top receiver is a TE. QB room has been neglected. Under-performing blue-chip QB in TB, plucky but not very talented Drew Pyne.

8-2 last 10, with wins over 4 ranked opponents. Had the #6 class last year, currently the #2 class. Kelly has the #14 and #11 class his first two years.

So why does Kelly get a pass and MF gets the microscope?
He doesn't get a pass from me.

BK is, was, and always will be fools gold.

Zero major bowl and or playoff win in his entire career.

How does that happen?
Even on accident he still couldn't win one major bowl game?

One top 5 win against a Clemson team without its all everything QB and others in a weird covid year.

Even if you want to give him credit for a top 5 victory in that weird ass season how in the hell he only has one top 5 victory in his entire career.

Fools gold all day long and thank christ he's gone. Good riddance!!!

The man beat Alabama and won the SEC West in year 1 at LSU, and you say there is a possibility he could have gone 7-5 with this Notre Dame team?

OK
Jesus Christ almighty...

Bama Bama bama...
WTF are you doing here?
Go and kiss BK's ass on his site and or Bama's on theirs.

He beat a Bama team this year that is not your grand daddys Bama team.

He still has yet to ever beat a top 5 team in his career that wasnt in a weird covid year!!

Explain that...

Not ever once without a covid aided season did he beat a top 5.

Never once ever competitive....NOT EVER ONCE...
Was he even competitive in a major bowl or playoff game. Not ever once in his ENTIRE CAREER.

What exactly are we missing?

NOTHING!

P.s.

The SEC boards would like you to participate

Kelly took over a 6-6 team and improved it, freeman took over an 11-1 team and did far worse.
did far worse? they dominated a top 10 team and another top 25 team. - how many ranked teams did ND beat in 2021? zero. The one chance they had to prove themselves, they lost by double-digits at home to a team that Alabama beat by 3 TDs.

Besides, it's not the same team. he lost the starting RB, 2 starting WRs, and the starting QB. That's 30 TDs and 2600 yards from scrimmage. and 3000 passing yards. Not to mention zero QB starts on the roster. It was always going to be a down year.

8-4 isn't so bad, considering they started 0-2 with the wrong QB. Since the Stanford loss, they've looked pretty good.

History? The man left South Bend with the longest winning streak in CFB against unranked competition. To claim that he would have "...likely" lost to anyone except Ohio State is simply misguided. This 2022 Clemson team was nothing near Clemson 2018 or 2020. IMO, Kelly goes 10-2 with this team, and I am a Marcus Freeman fan.
Laugh out freaking loud...

Thr longest streak against teams he should have beat?

Oh my dear lord.

The fact you hang your hat on and rally around a pathetic streak like that screams volumes.

Just remember the clown that owned that unranked victory streak also has another streak going that you don't want to mention.

Never victorious in a major bowl or playoff game. Not ever once!
Never competitive in same games.
Not ever competitive once.
Never victorious against a top5 team in a normal non-covid year. Not ever once.

Now those are some extremely telling streaks!!!!

Clemson although top 5 at the time isn’t that good… those top 5 teams Kelly lost to were some of the best teams over the last decade or two… 3 of those 6 losses were to the national championship winner …I’m not a Kelly fan but at this time, far better coach than freeman … freeman already can recruit better than Kelly

Clemson is still top 10.

Kelly has coached 240 D1 games and 157 D2 games. That's almost 400 games. He's been a head coach for 31 years. Marcus Freeman is 36. Kelly is a good coach. he's not a great coach.

Jury is still out with MF. I think he did a credible job considering all the obstacles in his way. But here's the difference - guys WANT to play for Freeman. He doesn't throw them under the bus when they lose (see Marshall and Stanford). Kelly would have thrown Pyne and Buchner under the bus so fast it would have made your head spin.

I think we've seen Kelly's ceiling. We definitely saw it at ND. Freeman, the sky's the limit. Give the man a chance.

How was Miami in 17 and Michigan in 19?

Amazing some posters would still want to sign up for the BK sh!tshow.
LSU was the same team that whole season. Slow starters, bad special teams.
FSU game couldnt move the ball until the 4th quarter and horrible special teams cost LSU a win

Tennessee game got blown out by 30+ at home due to horrible special teams and a slow start.

Down 17-3 to Mississippi in the 1st half because of a slow start

Struggled with a below .500 Arkansas team that had a back up QB. Another slow start and sub par special teams

Biggest game of the year with a shot at the playoffs on the line and his team came out flat vs a 4-7 Texas A&M that struggled to beat UMass. Ended up getting blown out and at his presser said he didnt get his team prepared. Some ND fans are dumb as sh!t.

If you look at history, BK had an amazing streak against unranked teams. A god-awful streak against top 5. An "OK" record against ranked.

If history is our guide, he would have lost all 3 to the top 10. He might have lost 1 game to BYU, Syracuse or UNC.

History also taught us he never lost to unranked. As much as I could give a rip about him any longer, he did win against teams like Marshal and Stanford but that was much later in his career. He had some bad losses early.

You have about a 75% chance of him being 9-3 and a 50% chance of him being 8-4 with a loss to 1 of the other ranked teams in his final years.

In his first year, he more than likely with this schedule have been 7-5.

He left ND in bad shape at QB, that is on him as the head coach. When BK took over the team he had a junior in Dayne Christ and a Freshman, one Tommy Rees (who was 4-0 as a starter).

He lost 5 games his inaugural season, if MF loses his bowl they will have the same record.

BK had back-to-back losses to two powerhouse teams, Navy and Tulsa.

BK had multiple 20-point losses that year, MF's largest loss was 11.

Largest win was 25 to Utah, MF was 44 to BC.

I dont really see MF having some "terrible" first year, he is favorable to BK if you run the numbers in all categories to BK's year 1.

If you look at history, BK had an amazing streak against unranked teams. A god-awful streak against top 5. An "OK" record against ranked.

If history is our guide, he would have lost all 3 to the top 10. He might have lost 1 game to BYU, Syracuse or UNC.

History also taught us he never lost to unranked. As much as I could give a rip about him any longer, he did win against teams like Marshal and Stanford but that was much later in his career. He had some bad losses early.

You have about a 75% chance of him being 9-3 and a 50% chance of him being 8-4 with a loss to 1 of the other ranked teams in his final years.

In his first year, he more than likely with this schedule have been 7-5.

He left ND in bad shape at QB, that is on him as the head coach. When BK took over the team he had a junior in Dayne Christ and a Freshman, one Tommy Rees (who was 4-0 as a starter).

He lost 5 games his inaugural season, if MF loses his bowl they will have the same record.

BK had back-to-back losses to two powerhouse teams, Navy and Tulsa.

BK had multiple 20-point losses that year, MF's largest loss was 11.

Largest win was 25 to Utah, MF was 44 to BC.

I dont really see MF having some "terrible" first year, he is favorable to BK if you run the numbers in all categories to BK's year 1.
it's more about how you finish than how you start, especially for a first-year HC. Last 6 games, the team averaged 37 PPG, and that's including 2 top 10 teams. I find that encouraging. They've started running the ball more, up 40 ypg from last season. they are finding their identity.

and you're right, Kelly left him a s***-show at WR and QB. good thing he can recruit - help is on the way.

I would agree with that statement, you should also compare Y1 of BK to Y1 of MF.

Comparing 2010 to 2022, MF had a better record, his losses were closer, had larger margin of victory, and played a tougher schedule.

Its not really fair to compare Y10 to Y1 I dont think. Whatever fits your personal narrative is your own choice.

Y1 to Y1, MF had a better start.

FSU game couldnt move the ball until the 4th quarter and horrible special teams cost LSU a win

Tennessee game got blown out by 30+ at home due to horrible special teams and a slow start.

Struggled with a below .500 Arkansas team that had a back up QB. Another slow start and sub par special teams

Biggest game of the year with a shot at the playoffs on the line and his team came out flat vs a 4-7 Texas A&M that struggled to beat UMass. Ended up getting blown out and at his presser said he didnt get his team prepared. Some ND fans are dumb as sh!t.
That theme sounds all too familiar, eh`

BK would have probably played OSU close, and would have gone 1-1 vs Clemson and USC. Two teams that were (and still are) wholly overrated according to the advanced metrics.

He would have anywhere from 1-2 regular season losses depending on how well the team performed in high leverage situations in those three games. He would have probably beat all the other teams that were all terrible this season (everybody on the schedule not OSU, USC, Clemson).

But at the end of the day, the Notre Dame team would still finish the year with a final F+ ranking somewhere around 10th, to match a 10th ranked recruiting class, and a 10th ranked outcome for the upcoming season, while likely being out-classed in talent in any potential playoff match they luck into. This shouldn't be a secret to anybody, it's basically the story of every season since 2017 under Brian Kelly.

To some that is good enough, to others, Kelly being gone is a refreshing sense of hope for more upside going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: thehellyousay

Tell that to Nick Saban.

no excuse for Stanford and marshal, that’s 100% coaching and prevented a good season
that's 100% dreadful QB play, and a 0-5 turnover ratio. Buchner's passer rating was 96, Pyne's 99 against Marshall.

Pyne was at 107 against Stanford.

For perspective, a passer rating of 96-99 would put you in the bottom 3 out of 113 qualifying QBs. A 107 rating would put you in the bottom 10.

Not having a good QB is what prevented a good season. Pyne improved, but when he was bad, it was painful to watch.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
ADVERTISEMENT