ADVERTISEMENT

LSU vs ND 2022

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
LSU 9-3 with SOS of 7 and pre season not ranked

ND 8-4 with SOS of 31 and pre season ranked 5th

Do I think LSU has ND talent, nope. It goes to show what good (not even great) coaching can do. With good coaching ND is 10-2 this year and ranked between 6-8.

Freeman and company are bringing in the talent but can they learn how to coach and coach to win week in and week out in 23 and moving forward. I sure hope so. Kelly couldn't relate and get the top level talent, I think freeman can if he can show coaching ability.

Do I think LSU has ND talent, nope. It goes to show what good (not even great) coaching can do. With good coaching ND is 10-2 this year and ranked between 6-8.

Freeman and company are bringing in the talent but can they learn how to coach and coach to win week in and week out in 23 and moving forward. I sure hope so. Kelly couldn't relate and get the top level talent, I think freeman can if he can show coaching ability.
No. So you got a few things wrong here, no surprise. Their sos is 22nd. Ours was 27th

It shows what getting a good qb can do for you. But he got the guy, so more power to him.

And pre season polls mean nothing. And LSU always has tons of talent.

Actually more than a few things wrong with your OP

LSU was 9 and 3. We were 8 and 4. We did that with a mac QB. They did that with a pretty good college qb.

Coaching was about identical

Easy to imagine ND 2022 under previous coach going anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3 … less than 7 and more than 9 were likely not happening

Reactions: NDinNJ and Golson5
I really want Freeman to succeed as he seems a great fit for ND. That said, I personally dislike his sideline presence as shown during the telecasts. He doesn’t “appear” to be in control of anything. By that I mean it looks to my eye that he is a very hands off head coach during games, and relies on his coordinators to be totally in charge of their areas of responsibility. There’s a distinction between delegating and abdicating, and I hope we see Freeman more visibly involved interacting with both Staff and players during games.

I've seen ND pegged to play South Carolina in the Gator Bowl or Oregon in the Holiday bowl.

No. So you got a few things wrong here, no surprise. Their sos is 22nd. Ours was 27th

It shows what getting a good qb can do for you. But he got the guy, so more power to him.

LSU was 9 and 3. We were 8 and 4. We did that with a mac QB. They did that with a pretty good college qb.

Is this not it?

or this

I've seen ND pegged to play South Carolina in the Gator Bowl or Oregon in the Holiday bowl.
Oregon would be the much better team, but I don't like going out west to play a west coast team.

Weren't you the one that said Daniels was terrible when I said he has more upside than any QB ND has had under Kelly?

LSU didn't have any head-scratching losses to bad teams like we had to Marshall and Stanford. That was the difference. But they did get thumped by a mediocre Texas A&M team in their last game, and they got crushed by Tennessee. We didn't get crushed by anyone.

Would love to play them in a bowl, but not hearing that in any of the bowl rumors.

I really want Freeman to succeed as he seems a great fit for ND. That said, I personally dislike his sideline presence as shown during the telecasts. He doesn’t “appear” to be in control of anything. By that I mean it looks to my eye that he is a very hands off head coach during games, and relies on his coordinators to be totally in charge of their areas of responsibility. There’s a distinction between delegating and abdicating, and I hope we see Freeman more visibly involved interacting with both Staff and players during games.
Like i said last year and I think it showed this year is he's not very good from an X's and O's standpoint. My opinion on so many poor schemes we saw last year and not as many trickled over until USC game. Freeman made it clear he told golden how he wanted to defend Calebs running ability, and it failed miserably. Remember when he talked about the clemson game where he told Rees to call a play to mayer for TD at the end. He said throw it up to mayer, instead of call play green left, x shift to right, 246 stick corner. My point is, i don't think he really knows the plays being called or has much if any input on them. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Like others have stated he really needed an experienced coach/leader as the OC vs getting one as the DC. I think Rees hopefully learned a lot this year and is ready to be much more consistent next year.

What's really really concerning to me about Rees is this is now 2 years in a row where we've started the year playing pretty bad offense and having to completely adjust our offensive strategy/game plan. Whatever he is doing/seeing in spring/fall isn't working for the first few games of the season.

I agree with this. He reminds me of Lovie Smith, has the head set on but never says a damn thing!

11-1 was more likely in 2022 with kelly than 7-5.
Not certain about 11-1; however, Brian Kelly would have finished better than 8-4. He would not have lost to Stanford or Marshall at home. No chance.

Not certain about 11-1; however, Brian Kelly would have finished better than 8-4. He would not have lost to Stanford or Marshall at home. No chance.
He would likely have lost to Ohio State, Clemson and USC and pretty good chance he drops one to UNC, BYU or Syracuse too. He probably beats Navy, Cal, Marshall, BC, Stanford, UNLV

He barely squeaked by Toledo last year with a better QB and receivers and a few all Americans.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
He would likely have lost to Ohio State, Clemson and USC and pretty good chance he drops one to UNC, BYU or Syracuse too. He probably beats Navy, Cal, Marshall, BC, Stanford, UNLV

He barely squeaked by Toledo last year with a better QB and receivers and a few all Americans.
if we barely squeaked by marshal and stanford we wouldn't be having this conversation

You're confusing 2016 kelly, we had an average schedule this year. CLemson is down, osu isn't unbeatable, usc is beatable, everyone else is average.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaseball
if we barely squared by marshal and stanford we wouldn't be having this conversation

You're confusing 2016 kelly, we had an average schedule this year. CLemson is down, osu isn't unbeatable, usc is beatable, everyone else is average.
He had jack Coan last year. If he had this years drew pyne last season we probably start the season 1 and 4.

Last year Kelly with Drew Pyne Kelly is probably 8 and 4

This year id say between 7 and 9 games. We'd still have Quinn so maybe 7 is more likely

Reactions: NDDadx3
if we barely squared by marshal and stanford we wouldn't be having this conversation

Kelly’s first and last big road win was in 2012. Average schedule??? We played 3 teams in the top 10, two on the road

Taking away everyone's personal feelings about BK, the reality of the matter for LSU this year is:

- He inherited a program in disarray and he is very good at program mgt, so he did a very nice job of that this year

- He had to go get a ton of transfers because the roster had a ton of holes. That meant he and the staff needed to get the team organized, familiar, etc., which did in fact cause some issues coming out of the gate for them.

- That said, TN and A&M games were crap performances similar to a couple of crap performances by the Irish this year. So it falls on coaching for both teams in their respective scenarios.

- While I get what you are saying about DP, the fact remains he is in fact a Div 1 QB who right now starts for the Irish. Can argue/debate all day long whether he should be, the poor QB recruiting, etc., but he is the current starter.

To say Brian Kelly "...would have lost to Clemson..," and would have lost to UNC, BYU, or Syracuse is either ignorant, or simply a narrative.

Kelly’s first and last big road win was in 2012. Average schedule??? We played 3 teams in the top 10, two on the road
by your take we didn't have a big road win this year.

i said the remaining schedule everyone was average after the 3 good teams

Taking away everyone's personal feelings about BK, the reality of the matter for LSU this year is:

- He inherited a program in disarray and he is very good at program mgt, so he did a very nice job of that this year

- He had to go get a ton of transfers because the roster had a ton of holes. That meant he and the staff needed to get the team organized, familiar, etc., which did in fact cause some issues coming out of the gate for them.

- That said, TN and A&M games were crap performances similar to a couple of crap performances by the Irish this year. So it falls on coaching for both teams in their respective scenarios.

- While I get what you are saying about DP, the fact remains he is in fact a Div 1 QB who right now starts for the Irish. Can argue/debate all day long whether he should be, the poor QB recruiting, etc., but he is the current starter.
The fact that he is the starter is all that needs to be said

To say Brian Kelly "...would have lost to Clemson..," and would have lost to UNC, BYU, or Syracuse is either ignorant, or simply a narrative.
I said it was likely, words matter and history is unfortunately on my side on this one. You all act like these were automatic wins under Kelly when reality is he didn’t just lose but got his arse kicked in these road games and neutral site games vs top 10 teams.

Reactions: 88ND
I said it was likely, words matter and history is unfortunately on my side on this one. You all act like these were automatic wins under Kelly when reality is he didn’t just lose but got his arse kicked in these road games and neutral site games vs top 10 teams.
History? The man left South Bend with the longest winning streak in CFB against unranked competition. To claim that he would have "...likely" lost to anyone except Ohio State is simply misguided. This 2022 Clemson team was nothing near Clemson 2018 or 2020. IMO, Kelly goes 10-2 with this team, and I am a Marcus Freeman fan.

History? The man left South Bend with the longest winning streak in CFB against unranked competition. To claim that he would have "...likely" lost to anyone except Ohio State is simply misguided. This 2022 Clemson team was nothing near Clemson 2018 or 2020. IMO, Kelly goes 10-2 with this team, and I am a Marcus Freeman fan.
Who knows? He quit.

He did go 4 and 8 in 2016 so no clue

My guess with this qb, he wins 7 to 9. If he got a legit qb in the portal, Id say 9 to 11

Who knows? He quit.

He did go 4 and 8 in 2016 so no clue

My guess with this qb, he wins 7 to 9. If he got a legit qb in the portal, Id say 9 to 11
The man beat Alabama and won the SEC West in year 1 at LSU, and you say there is a possibility he could have gone 7-5 with this Notre Dame team?

OK

and won 1. also beat another ranked team on the road. beat both ACC CCG participants by double-digits, by an average of 17 points.

Syracuse was ranked 16 when we played them, another road game, won by 17. BYU was also ranked.

The man beat Alabama and won the SEC West in year 1 at LSU, and you say there is a possibility he could have gone 7-5 with this Notre Dame team?

OK
Yeah. Why not. He went 4 and 8 here with Deshone Kizer at QB

OK

Reactions: NDinNJ
Please tell me you have something more than that. He beat unranked teams at home therefore he would beat top 5 teams on the road … even if every time he played a top 5 team on the road or at a bowl venue he got spanked. Graduating “champions”. Kelly wins 7-9 with this team and the QB injury.

Kelly's first year at ND he went 8-5, with losses at home to Navy (by 18!) and Tulsa. Best win was Utah, which ended up ranked #23. He lost 3 of his first 4 games.

Kelly's second year, he went 8-5, with a loss in the home opener to South Florida, another C-USA team that went 5-7. Lost his first 2 games.

Now you could say the cupboard was bare, but they had Michael Floyd, Kyle Rudolph, Tyler Eifert, Cierre Wood Manti Te'o, Harrison Smith, Theo Riddick, Zack Martin, et al. You could say he had no QB, with an under-performing blue-chipper in Dayne Crist, and a plucky but not very talented Tommy Rees.

What did Marcus inherit? Wide receiver room has been neglected - top receiver is a TE. QB room has been neglected. Under-performing blue-chip QB in TB, plucky but not very talented Drew Pyne.

8-2 last 10, with wins over 4 ranked opponents. Had the #6 class last year, currently the #2 class. Kelly has the #14 and #11 class his first two years.

So why does Kelly get a pass and MF gets the microscope?

Kelly's first year at ND he went 8-5, with losses at home to Navy (by 18!) and Tulsa. Best win was Utah, which ended up ranked #23. He lost 3 of his first 4 games.

Kelly's second year, he went 8-5, with a loss in the home opener to South Florida, another C-USA team that went 5-7. Lost his first 2 games.

Now you could say the cupboard was bare, but they had Michael Floyd, Kyle Rudolph, Tyler Eifert, Cierre Wood Manti Te'o, Harrison Smith, Theo Riddick, Zack Martin, et al. You could say he had no QB, with an under-performing blue-chipper in Dayne Crist, and a plucky but not very talented Tommy Rees.

What did Marcus inherit? Wide receiver room has been neglected - top receiver is a TE. QB room has been neglected. Under-performing blue-chip QB in TB, plucky but not very talented Drew Pyne.

8-2 last 10, with wins over 4 ranked opponents. Had the #6 class last year, currently the #2 class. Kelly has the #14 and #11 class his first two years.

Please quit ruining the false narrative!

There’s a reason Kelly walked away from the “dynasty” he built. He sold high.

Kelly took over a 6-6 team and improved it, freeman took over an 11-1 team and did far worse.

ADVERTISEMENT