ADVERTISEMENT

Lou Holtz decries push to scrap college football, other sports: 'What has happened to our way of lif

Quickest way to end this is to pull the government financial assistance. Folks will be clamoring for businesses to open and get back to work. A few things, if you’re against restaurants being open- don’t eat out. If you’re against schools opening- home school your child. If you’re scared- don’t go out. If you don’t feel safe at your job- quit.

Quit relying on the government to make these decisions. Let the people and free market make choices. We’ve given the government way too much power

Quickest way to end this is to pull the government financial assistance. Folks will be clamoring for businesses to open and get back to work. A few things, if you’re against restaurants being open- don’t eat out. If you’re against schools opening- home school your child. If you’re scared- don’t go out. If you don’t feel safe at your job- quit.

Quit relying on the government to make these decisions. Let the people and free market make choices. We’ve given the government way too much power

How about, to dine out, all you have to do is agree to be part of the test trial for vaccines; get your injection at the entrance, then sit and dine!
Or volunteer to get exposed to covid for research purposes!

They are so willing to put-the general populace at risk so they can play pretend life is normal!

Reactions: GoldCountryND
How about, to dine out, all you have to do is agree to be part of the test trial for vaccines; get your injection at the entrance, then sit and dine!
Or volunteer to get exposed to covid for research purposes!

They are so willing to put-the general populace at risk so they can play pretend life is normal!
How would the general populace be at risk if they are at home quarantining? How are you at risk Pers when you don’t leave your house? Or are you breaking the rules?

How would the general populace be at risk if they are at home quarantining? How are you at risk Pers when you don’t leave your house? Or are you breaking the rules?
What’s the greater loss of liberty? Being unable to leave your home or wearing a mask? Asking for a friend.

What’s the greater loss of liberty? Being unable to leave your home or wearing a mask? Asking for a friend.
Why’s it a choice? Why would ever drive a car or eat cheeseburger? 1.3 million humans die annually and 4K a day from driving a car. Why would you ever take that chance, please never drive a car. We know what this illness is and who it’s attacking. Least we can is be wise as use reason and protect the 1%-3% that are subject to effects of the illness. No logical reason to shut 98% of the world because 2% at at risk . We know what it does, if you had garden of 100 vegetables and 1 tomato plant died, would you kill the whole garden? Shelter the one tomato plant from sunlight? From the other 99 plants that could be affected?

let’s go folks! YOU are the Answer. Use the dome, take some accountability and quit looking to the government to provide answers.

Why’s it a choice? Why would ever drive a car or eat cheeseburger? 1.3 million humans die annually and 4K a day from driving a car. Why would you ever take that chance, please never drive a car. We know what this illness is and who it’s attacking. Least we can is be wise as use reason and protect the 1%-3% that are subject to effects of the illness. No logical reason to shut 98% of the world because 2% at at risk . We know what it does, if you had garden of 100 vegetables and 1 tomato plant died, would you kill the whole garden? Shelter the one tomato plant from sunlight? From the other 99 plants that could be affected?

let’s go folks! YOU are the Answer. Use the dome, take some accountability and quit looking to the government to provide answers.

Plants can’t wear masks. I looked it up.

I guess it comes down to are you a free person making his or hers own decisions or are you a slave to the government.

Too many here seem to think as slaves.

This virus is not enough to destroy our way of life like some here want it to.

Does that apply to birth control too, or just your face? Asking for a friend.

I always enjoy listening to Lou. I don’t know if
The camera set up in his home was bad, but
Lou did not look the same as usual.
The COVD Is not like any other virus that
We have faced before. We are also getting
So many conflicting statements from the
Medical Profession and “ Experts “ , and
Their opinions seem to change hourly ?
After trying to sort through the “ Expert “
Opinions, it seems that they all agree that Children and ”Young Adults “ are at very low
RisK of becoming seriously ill or dying from
The COVD. So I think that opening schools
Should be done.
The real danger may be to the teachers ?
But if they take precautions, are then in any
Greater danger than the people who work in
The Supermarkets, hospitals, etc?
I am certainly in the most vulnerable age group so my wife and I try to self quarantine
As much as possible, but we sill must go out
From time to time to purchase food, water,
Etc.
I have just about given up on watching pro
Sports , except for some baseball, so I could care less if they ever open op again.
I love high school and college sports, but
If they present a danger of COVD to the players, They are certain not essential so I can
Certainly survive without them as well.
The real dilemma is that the county and the World must either open up their economies
Or Face economic disaster!
In short, I think the most vulnerable must
Certainly self quarantine, but the younger and
Healthier people must , still take certain precautions, But go on with their lives and jobs.
I would also like to see Hydricholiquine
( not sure of spelling ) made available as a Preventative medicine until something better
Comes along ?

Reactions: d1042
I always enjoy listening to Lou. I don’t know if
The camera set up in his home was bad, but
Lou did not look the same as usual.
The COVD Is not like any other virus that
We have faced before. We are also getting
So many conflicting statements from the
Medical Profession and “ Experts “ , and
Their opinions seem to change hourly ?
After trying to sort through the “ Expert “
Opinions, it seems that they all agree that Children and ”Young Adults “ are at very low
RisK of becoming seriously ill or dying from
The COVD. So I think that opening schools
Should be done.
The real danger may be to the teachers ?
But if they take precautions, are then in any
Greater danger than the people who work in
The Supermarkets, hospitals, etc?
I am certainly in the most vulnerable age group so my wife and I try to self quarantine
As much as possible, but we sill must go out
From time to time to purchase food, water,
Etc.
I have just about given up on watching pro
Sports , except for some baseball, so I could care less if they ever open op again.
I love high school and college sports, but
If they present a danger of COVD to the players, They are certain not essential so I can
Certainly survive without them as well.
The real dilemma is that the county and the World must either open up their economies
Or Face economic disaster!
In short, I think the most vulnerable must
Certainly self quarantine, but the younger and
Healthier people must , still take certain precautions, But go on with their lives and jobs.
I would also like to see Hydricholiquine
( not sure of spelling ) made available as a Preventative medicine until something better
Comes along ?
reasonable response.

I wonder how much both sports and entertainment will lose after all of this.

I am reminded of what happened to the NHL when they sacrificed a whole season to a strike. They NEVER have recovered from that.

I wonder how many people will find that they do not miss what once seemed so important to them.

Reactions: rgc7
reasonable response.

I wonder how much both sports and entertainment will lose after all of this.

I am reminded of what happened to the NHL when they sacrificed a whole season to a strike. They NEVER have recovered from that.

I wonder how many people will find that they do not miss what once seemed so important to them.
I think in the NHL’s case it was the fact that it was a strike. The NBA and MLB also suffered after strike shortened seasons. I honestly find missing sports the only real change in the last 6 months that I’m not totally fine with.

The players interact with each other and the coaching staff. The players and the coaching staff interact with their families and the faculty. The families and faculty interact with their families, friends, store employees, etc. It's just not that difficult to understand how the virus spreads.

The players interact with each other and the coaching staff. The players and the coaching staff interact with their families and the faculty. The families and faculty interact with their families, friends, store employees, etc. It's just not that difficult to understand how the virus spreads.

Even a Duck understands!

Does that apply to birth control too, or just your face? Asking for a friend.
The beauty of freedom. All those players, coaches, faculty, friends and family have a choice to not return and to continue quarantining. The family and friends don’t have to interact with people who arent quarantining. Stay inside if you’re worried and If you choose to go out and interact then the people you come across also made that choice.

Lou's accomplished more in his lifetime than you ever will. His son has accomplished more in his life than you ever will. You holding this same granny standard for Corn pop and his best friend Ol' Joe?
I’m no Biden fan, but I am very familiar with Wilmington, DE. Believe me corn pop is a real person I have first hand accounts

Lou comparing the Covid risks of playing football to the risks of storming the beaches at Normandy was tough to watch. Feel for him with the loss of his wife but never compare sport to war & death.
Right. Comparing to DDay when less than 30 out of millions infected have died from COVID under 21. Makes sense. Not. Love Lou, but he should visit the cdc website to see how pathetically low the risk is to young people. Way more kids have died this year from the flu and we aren’t even to flu season yet. COVID to kids is less risky than riding a bike.

Reactions: Golson5
The beauty of freedom. All those players, coaches, faculty, friends and family have a choice to not return and to continue quarantining. The family and friends don’t have to interact with people who arent quarantining. Stay inside if you’re worried and If you choose to go out and interact then the people you come across also made that choice.
Didn’t answer my question.

Corn pop could beat Dumb Donald in November. LOL. Biden will dominate comrade Trumpsky and his pack of pardoned criminals.

It’s as though you see the world like a Saturday morning cartoon. An Inspector Gadget or Scooby Doo episode...

That's just not realistic. Do you really think that college players and coaches have a choice? Do the family of the players and the coaches really have a choice not to interact with their kids, spouses, and parents? I'm not sure what world you live in but it doesn't seem particularly realistic to me.

"Quit relying on the government to make these decisions. Let the people and free market make choices."

We have seen what the government has done -- they can't make a decision to save a life -- hell, they cannot even agree on anything -- they are all trying to dis-credit each other. And then, you have 50 states making decisions that, while some are similar, most are not.

Who the hell is going to make a decision? Mean while, you got people who may be infected, don't know it, and may be spreading this thing around. The bottom line is NO ONE has a grasp and THE PEOPLE are getting frustrated. There is NO CLEAR direction going on right now.

As for me -- I am lucky -- I get to continue to work (from home), I go out to my local tavern for a few frosty beverages (and yes, I social distance away from people), I dine out (again, I social distance) -- there is a common sense approach here -- most people don't use it. And that is the killer....

Reactions: Leahylads
"Quit relying on the government to make these decisions. Let the people and free market make choices."

We have seen what the government has done -- they can't make a decision to save a life -- hell, they cannot even agree on anything -- they are all trying to dis-credit each other. And then, you have 50 states making decisions that, while some are similar, most are not.

Who the hell is going to make a decision? Mean while, you got people who may be infected, don't know it, and may be spreading this thing around. The bottom line is NO ONE has a grasp and THE PEOPLE are getting frustrated. There is NO CLEAR direction going on right now.

As for me -- I am lucky -- I get to continue to work (from home), I go out to my local tavern for a few frosty beverages (and yes, I social distance away from people), I dine out (again, I social distance) -- there is a common sense approach here -- most people don't use it. And that is the killer....

dining out for me, as yet, having a hot dog at the far end of the driveway!

That's just not realistic. Do you really think that college players and coaches have a choice? Do the family of the players and the coaches really have a choice not to interact with their kids, spouses, and parents? I'm not sure what world you live in but it doesn't seem particularly realistic to me.
Players and coaches don’t have a choice? I completely disagree, their decision to not return during Covid in an effort to protect their families would be applauded my media. Not buying they don’t have a choice..that being said, most would likely exercise freedom and choose to play.

Not sure what works you live in, but if I feared this would harm my family, I wouldn’t return to coach or play football. Simple.

Players and coaches don’t have a choice? I completely disagree, their decision to not return during Covid in an effort to protect their families would be applauded my media. Not buying they don’t have a choice..that being said, most would likely exercise freedom and choose to play.

Not sure what works you live in, but if I feared this would harm my family, I wouldn’t return to coach or play football. Simple.

If a coach wants to keep his job and his paycheck, he's going to show up. If a player wants to start and have a shot at the NFL, he's going to show up. "Freedom to choose" suggests that a person can make a decision without penalty. I don't see that for either the coaches or the players. Have any college assistant coaches and/or players opted out yet? I know various pro players have but how about at the college level?

Reactions: benko's army
If a coach wants to keep his job and his paycheck, he's going to show up. If a player wants to start and have a shot at the NFL, he's going to show up. "Freedom to choose" suggests that a person can make a decision without penalty. I don't see that for either the coaches or the players. Have any college assistant coaches and/or players opted out yet? I know various pro players have but how about at the college level?
People on this board are very cavalier with the lives of other people.

Reactions: ZVZ
I’ve never made a choice/decision in my life that didn’t have a consequence, sacrifice or penalty. Just like the freedom of choice of a woman’s body, it comes with a consequence. If you have trepidation that this virus will risk your life or loved ones, why would you return to play a sport or coach? You absolutely have that choice. So should the others who decide differently.

People on this board are very cavalier with the lives of other people.

I think you have to follow the stats on students returning to school and not just in the U.S.

90 % of public school teachers are below age 60, 25 % below 30 and I believe 60 % below 40, but I could be wrong on that last one.

Fatalities in the 5 to 21 age group are close to zero and some studies indicate that young children can’t transmit Covid-19 to adults.

Other Countries have returned students to classes with no significant impact.

In the limited number of college students and parents of grammar school children that I’ve spoken to, universally, they indicated that the home schooling learning experience was terrible.

It’s been pointed out that school is a critical checkpoint in identifying abused children and that no school means no discovery.

As I’ve asked previously, without a vaccine, is the economy and the educational system to be put on hold.

Now I’ll ask a second question, who here would take the vaccine if it was available in January ?

Reactions: chicity and Golson5
Other Countries have returned students to classes with no significant impact.

In the limited number of college students and parents of grammar school children that I’ve spoken to, universally, they indicated that the home schooling learning experience was terrible.

When we catch up to “other countries” in tracking and preventing the spread of the virus we should consider adopting all of their strategies.

Aside from that, your anecdotes are just that.

But to answer your question, yes, if an effective (and safe) vaccine is developed I’d be in line tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leahylads

Uh huh. If "the people" were left to make all the choices, human beings would've been gone a long, long time ago. If you can't see that with what's been happening then well, you're one of those people.

I don't say that in any way whatsoever to make it sound like "the government" that people like you seem to love to rant on are any better; not at all. They're complicit in the frightening behavior as well. All we logical, rational people can do is hope that at the end of the day we survive the lunacy/stupidity around us.

Look at how this entire thing has gone and how people are behaving. We've earned extinction.

Uh huh. If "the people" were left to make all the choices, human beings would've been gone a long, long time ago. If you can't see that with what's been happening then well, you're one of those people.

I don't say that in any way whatsoever to make it sound like "the government" that people like you seem to love to rant on are any better; not at all. They're complicit in the frightening behavior as well. All we logical, rational people can do is hope that at the end of the day we survive the lunacy/stupidity around us.

Look at how this entire thing has gone and how people are behaving. We've earned extinction.

Wow. That got dark.

ADVERTISEMENT