ADVERTISEMENT

Loss to Marshall

Wrong...again..
Parity doesn't always have to mean a win.

I know you have a spelling bee you're practicing for in the 8th grade but trust me when I tell you there is an enormous amount of parity in college football.
Before 1973 there were zero scholarship limitations.
1973 they came up with 105

1978 reduced to 95
1993 reduced to 85 which brings us to present day

Prior to 1973 a school could have 155 players (and some did)

You can't reduce scholarships by 70 players in some cases and it not do anything

There have always been elite teams and always will be.
It's the next rung down that you see upsets that never happened before or really just a huge freak occurrence.
Add in the transfer portal and the days of just showing up to play are long gone.
The favorite can no show up and win.

If a team has a bad game...the Marshall or App state play perfect...upsets will happen. Add in the portal and parity is the highest It's ever been
There have always been upsets. Thanks for the soliloquy though

Most good teams are capable of laying an egg. If we run the table, it was a fluke and we will finish top 10. The team is rolling right now so I like the momentum we have. We will be dangerous against Clemson and USC. I'd be a bit surprised if we win both, but we have a shot. I'm actually less concerned about the teams motivation to play those two games. The one that makes me nervous is Syracuse.

There have always been upsets. Thanks for the soliloquy though
"There have always been upsets"

Yes, there have always been upsets -- more of the David vs Goliath type.

But, more and more, the "little man" is getting more and more bold in these types of games. And, yes, since the scholarship limit was capped at 85, good players need a place to go and play -- plus, a friendly transfer portal (Marshall had something like close to 20 transfers) and a team can suddenly become more than capable.

Reactions: 88ND
Most good teams are capable of laying an egg. If we run the table, it was a fluke and we will finish top 10. The team is rolling right now so I like the momentum we have. We will be dangerous against Clemson and USC. I'd be a bit surprised if we win both, but we have a shot. I'm actually less concerned about the teams motivation to play those two games. The one that makes me nervous is Syracuse.
"The team is rolling right now so I like the momentum we have. We will be dangerous against Clemson and USC. I'd be a bit surprised if we win both, but we have a shot"

Boy -- how fast you change your tune -- just a few posts back, you simply stated that ND has ZERO shot in those 2 games

"Unless the OL improved so drastically that they will hold Clemson's DL off the entire game giving him time, I don't see Pyne having the time in the extra pocket he needs (partly to blame on his short stature and partly to blame on the lack of running game against elite competition) to make plays. The other solution is to pound the ball so well that nobody, including Clemson, can stop it. I'm not confident either can happen, particularly given our inability to gain even 1 yard in the red zone half the time against terrible defenses."

"The team is rolling right now so I like the momentum we have. We will be dangerous against Clemson and USC. I'd be a bit surprised if we win both, but we have a shot"

Boy -- how fast you change your tune -- just a few posts back, you simply stated that ND has ZERO shot in those 2 games

"Unless the OL improved so drastically that they will hold Clemson's DL off the entire game giving him time, I don't see Pyne having the time in the extra pocket he needs (partly to blame on his short stature and partly to blame on the lack of running game against elite competition) to make plays. The other solution is to pound the ball so well that nobody, including Clemson, can stop it. I'm not confident either can happen, particularly given our inability to gain even 1 yard in the red zone half the time against terrible defenses."
Having a shot doesn't mean I think we will win. Stop reaching so hard. Find something better to do with your time.

ADVERTISEMENT