ADVERTISEMENT

Loss to Marshall

Watching the Marshall/Louisiana game tonight and I cannot believe we lost to them. How did they even score on us. Their offense is not very good and their defensive line is so small.
Was the team not properly prepared ?

Was the scouting in error ?

Was the game plan flawed ?

Reactions: TboneNDFan
Rajun' Cajuns upsetting The Herd tonight.

With losses to Troy and Bowling Green, Marshall drops to 3-3

It was a simple case of Marshall sold out on the short routes because we absolutely positively were not throwing it deep then...(we still aren't but a little more intermediate)

And we kept on keeping on with the 3 - 5 yard curl and sit routes...and Marshall kept selling out on those plays.

Add in another WRONG depth chart decision at QB (the ghosts of BK still haunt us)

Marshall played damn near perfect...we played terribly...

Thus we got ass whipped

Reactions: BGI User 756
Of course there was going to be a letdown. We put everything into osu, played a hard game and had a chance to win, and lost. Players I'm sure were upset and took Marshall lightly. Thought they could show up and win and they couldn't do that

MF didnt have the team ready to play, players just showed up and there was no intensity out there, and our OL was still struggling at the time

Put it together and you get upset

Sometimes the blame falls on the players. Pride alone should have gotten us a W against Marshall. Players make plays; we didn't, we lost

Reactions: jerbach
It was a major loss because had we showed up to that game and won like we should have, Marcus Freeman would be considered the hottest new coach in the country and we'd be a top 10 team without question. Our recruiting may have been juiced up even more as well, particularly with the debacle at TAMU and OK. It was a major blow, that's for damn sure. It will take a win over Clemson and/or USC to overcome it. If we can have a season similar to Michigan in 2007 when they lost to App State, but mostly turned it around and finished the season beating a top 10 Florida team in their bowl game, we will redeem ourselves (to some degree).

Watching the Marshall/Louisiana game tonight and I cannot believe we lost to them. How did they even score on us. Their offense is not very good and their defensive line is so small.
" How did they even score on us. Their offense is not very good and their defensive line is so small."

They (like Cincinnati last year) came into South Bend with nothing to lose and played like it. ND on the other hand, was still physically hungover from OSU (and similar to last year vs Toledo, physically hung over from FSU), and mentally, probably were nowhere near where they should have been. They allowed Marshall to hang around longer than they should have and they had supreme confidence.

Reactions: Classic Irish
It was a major loss because had we showed up to that game and won like we should have, Marcus Freeman would be considered the hottest new coach in the country and we'd be a top 10 team without question. Our recruiting may have been juiced up even more as well, particularly with the debacle at TAMU and OK. It was a major blow, that's for damn sure. It will take a win over Clemson and/or USC to overcome it. If we can have a season similar to Michigan in 2007 when they lost to App State, but mostly turned it around and finished the season beating a top 10 Florida team in their bowl game, we will redeem ourselves (to some degree).
It won't be that bad.

The App state type upsets aren't laughable any longer. Parity is the closest it's ever been in CFB.

That said the loss to Marshall was still a bad one.

Then again I'm not a trendy sort and truthfully the loss to OSU irritates me more.
We coulda, shoulda beat OSU.

Oh well

The Marshall loss was a stinker, they played awful.

What's important is the team has showed week to week improvement since that game in their last three victories. I also think Pyne being QB has been an upgrade.

It won't be that bad.

The App state type upsets aren't laughable any longer. Parity is the closest it's ever been in CFB.

That said the loss to Marshall was still a bad one.

Then again I'm not a trendy sort and truthfully the loss to OSU irritates me more.
We coulda, shoulda beat OSU.

Oh well
This is false

Marshall is a game you just can't lose. I'm also not as confident in Pyne as some others. I think he will shut down once we play a defensive line with a pulse. Unless the OL improved so drastically that they will hold Clemson's DL off the entire game giving him time, I don't see Pyne having the time in the extra pocket he needs (partly to blame on his short stature and partly to blame on the lack of running game against elite competition) to make plays. The other solution is to pound the ball so well that nobody, including Clemson, can stop it. I'm not confident either can happen, particularly given our inability to gain even 1 yard in the red zone half the time against terrible defenses. Perhaps they are rolling now and the first half of the Ohio State game is really who this team has the capabilities to be. We'll see.

Last edited:
Marshall is a game you just can't lose. I'm also not as confident in Pyne as some others. I think he will shut down once we play a defensive line with a pulse. Unless the OL improved so drastically that they will hold Clemson's DL off the entire game, I don't see Pyne having the time in the pocket he needs (partly to blame on his short stature and partly to blame on the lack of playmakers at WR) to make plays. The other solution is to pound the ball so well that nobody, including Clemson, can stop it. I'm not confident either can happen, particularly given out inability to gain even 1 yard in the red zone half the time.
"Marshall is a game you just can't lose"

I am sure the Michigan (2007) and Texas A&M (2022) thought the same thing about losing to App State. Unfortunately, in the game of sports, when you are flat as a pancake and the other team is sky high, and you do nothing to stop the momentum, upsets happen.

Since you have such a large disregard for Pyne and ND's ability, I guess your Saturday's are free since you already know the results of the upcoming games without even watching.

Reactions: Classic Irish
"Marshall is a game you just can't lose"

I am sure the Michigan (2007) and Texas A&M (2022) thought the same thing about losing to App State. Unfortunately, in the game of sports, when you are flat as a pancake and the other team is sky high, and you do nothing to stop the momentum, upsets happen.

Since you have such a large disregard for Pyne and ND's ability, I guess your Saturday's are free since you already know the results of the upcoming games without even watching.
I have watched every Notre Dame game since the early 1980's. I'm not going to stop now. I will continue to express my right to be critical, have high expectations, and hope for another title.

This is false
Wrong...

Perhaps your Graceland of the SEC is impervious to it.

Oh wait...App State said otherwise.
Just ask A&M...
who lost to App State but nearly beat your favorite team in Bama.

How on earth could that be?

Ready???

P
A
R
I
T
Y

Wrong...

Just ask A&M...

Ready???

P
A
R
I
T
Y
Parity -- and a transfer portal that is very friendly to college teams (I think Marshall had 15-16 transfers this year alone) --

Reactions: 88ND
Wrong...

Just ask A&M...

Ready???

P
A
R
I
T
Y
There is no parity in cfb

There is plenty of it.
Nonsense. Before the year, everyone said there are 3 elite teams and one of those 3 will win the NC

And one of those 3 teams are going to win the NC.

It's the same every year. The 4th team that makes the playoffs usually gets blown out every year. Last year everyone knew Ga and Alabama were the 2 best teams, guess what, they destroyed their 2 opponents in the playoff. Us,Cincy, mich, oklahoma, washington, msu didnt have a chance in those games

Blowout city, no parity. Let's revisit this when one of those 3 teams win the NC

Nonsense. Before the year, everyone said there are 3 elite teams and one of those 3 will win the NC

It's the same every year. The 4th team that makes the playoffs usually gets blown out every year. Last year everyone knew Ga and Alabama were the 2 best teams, guess what, they destroyed their 2 opponents in the playoff. Us,Cincy, mich, oklahoma, washington, msu didnt have a chance in those games

Blowout city, no parity. Let's revisit this when one of those 3 teams win the NC
Don’t ruin the narrative!

Reactions: Golson5

They're looking a little more vulnerable this year. Alabama's already had two very close games, and Georgia had a 4-point win over a 2-4 Missouri team.

I think there's a lot of parity though, outside of those elite teams.

They're looking a little more vulnerable this year. Alabama's already had two very close games, and Georgia had a 4-point win over a 2-4 Missouri team.

I think there's a lot of parity though, outside of those elite teams.
That parts always been the case. Nothing has changed.

Alabama second close game was because the qb didnt play. Osu is detroying everyone after us.

It's going to come down to those 3

Its called being realistic. You keep trying to ignore his inexperience but that does not wash.
So he was inexperienced for Marshall game but not Unc, Byu, or Cal?

So basically everytime something goes wrong you'll just say inexperience.

Too bad Jimbo was so inexperienced against App st. If he would have had 5 more years of experience maybr they could won that game

Well I gotta say while watching the game they didn't look good. They didn't seem like some sort of secretly kick-ass team from the group of five. They looked like a totally mediocre, podunk team on the level of a Ball St., or Hawaii, or someone like that.

That RB I guess was good, even though he wasn't real flashy. He was a former five-star elite recruit.....

So he was inexperienced for Marshall game but not Unc, Byu, or Cal?

So basically everytime something goes wrong you'll just say inexperience.

Too bad Jimbo was so inexperienced against App st. If he would have had 5 more years of experience maybr they could won that game
You know, you do dumb pretty good so keep at it.

One mark of experience is how to deal with a team coming off a big game; working at preventing a let down.
You are just too stupid to figure that out

One mark of experience is how to deal with a team coming off a big game; working at preventing a let down.
How did that help Jimbo?

I guess going on the road against an undefeated team doesnt require experience. Or winning a game with a backup qb starting his first game when you struggled out of the gate losing first 2 games

You use the inexperience card when it fits your narrative. Lame and weak

I can’t disagree with you ! 😜

There’s no question that both the coaches and the players share responsibility for the loss.

As to the degree of responsibility for each party, I’d go with 75-25 Coach-Players

Well, you do dumb pretty well, it’s an adverb. Kind of ironic.

There is no parity in cfb
Wrong...again..
Parity doesn't always have to mean a win.

I know you have a spelling bee you're practicing for in the 8th grade but trust me when I tell you there is an enormous amount of parity in college football.
Before 1973 there were zero scholarship limitations.
1973 they came up with 105

1978 reduced to 95
1993 reduced to 85 which brings us to present day

Prior to 1973 a school could have 155 players (and some did)

You can't reduce scholarships by 70 players in some cases and it not do anything

There have always been elite teams and always will be.
It's the next rung down that you see upsets that never happened before or really just a huge freak occurrence.
Add in the transfer portal and the days of just showing up to play are long gone.
The favorite can no show up and win.

If a team has a bad game...the Marshall or App state play perfect...upsets will happen. Add in the portal and parity is the highest It's ever been

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT