ADVERTISEMENT

Lol Jordan Johnson to transfer

Great player development!

I read Hansen's chat transcript tonight and he reported 77 players have transferred since Kelly became coach. Of them, 50 have completed their eligibility. 2!!!!! Have been drafted, both d-lineman....Eddie V (3rd round) and Aaron Lynch (5th round). I thought it was pretty interesting
Yes...taking the easy way out rarely works. Be accountable!

I read Hansen's chat transcript tonight and he reported 77 players have transferred since Kelly became coach. Of them, 50 have completed their eligibility. 2!!!!! Have been drafted, both d-lineman....Eddie V (3rd round) and Aaron Lynch (5th round). I thought it was pretty interesting
Shaq evans was drafted in the 4th

Reactions: tbonesays
Eddie Vanderdoesnt count. He never even enrolled. A decommit =/= transfer.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Fuller and Claypool “underrated” ?

By whom ?

Both are starting NFL receivers !

Maybe Kelly is a better evaluated of talent than you think !

in fact, 9 of this year’s team just got drafted by the NFL

That sounds like great evaluation to me.
Kinda agree here. Claypool, Boykin, Fuller, etc. They all got on the field when they were ready.

if your a 5 star and you can’t beat out Davis, Keys and Lenzy there is something wrong with you and it’s not BK.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Kinda agree here. Claypool, Boykin, Fuller, etc. They all got on the field when they were ready.

if your a 5 star and you can’t beat out Davis, Keys and Lenzy there is something wrong with you and it’s not BK.
Holy shite! We agree again! There is hope for ya!

Agree In part. Maybe the only thing ”wrong” with Johnson was that he was rated too high and came in with unrealistic expectations. He struggled with the transition from HS to ND, both in the classroom and on the field. He is physically talented, and might have grown into a reliable receiver who understands his responsibilities on each and every play by his junior season, but all of us (coaches and fans and himself) expected him to be an impact player his freshman season.

So, the responses range from "Oh well ND will be fine" or the "Sky is falling". Like every other topic on here. This thread is a complete joke. Yes, losing Jordan Johnson hurts, for no other reason than top programs can use this type of publicity, to attack ND when going after future WR's. And yes, the depth at WR is concerning, because Keys, Austin, Lenzy have been injury prone, and Wilkens has been inconsistent.

But the Kelly Cranks / Fools who are attempting to go back a decade and review each transfer. Then draw the conclusion that ND / Brian Kelly has a player development issue? Continue to amaze me with their off-the-charts stupidity and football ignorance. It is a bottomless pit and an endless reservoir of dumb. ND has won 34 football games and qualified for the CFP twice. over the past 3 seasons. Player development problem? Okay, poindexters! Thanks for more entertaining drivel.

There is nothing wrong with you if you can't beat out Davis, Keys, and Lenzy. All three are burners who will set the college football world on fire this season !!

So, the responses range from "Oh well ND will be fine" or the "Sky is falling". Like every other topic on here. This thread is a complete joke. Yes, losing Jordan Johnson hurts, for no other reason than top programs can use this type of publicity, to attack ND when going after future WR's. And yes, the depth at WR is concerning, because Keys, Austin, Lenzy have been injury prone, and Wilkens has been inconsistent.

But the Kelly Cranks / Fools who are attempting to go back a decade and review each transfer. Then draw the conclusion that ND / Brian Kelly has a player development issue? Continue to amaze me with their off-the-charts stupidity and football ignorance. It is a bottomless pit and an endless reservoir of dumb. ND has won 34 football games and qualified for the CFP twice. over the past 3 seasons. Player development problem? Okay, poindexters! Thanks for more entertaining drivel.
We have also had strong defenses over that coveted 34 win period which rarely gets mentioned. It wasnt the offense alone that made it happen. This year you have a new O line, new QB with decent WR's. TE is always solid barring any injuries. Lets hope our new D coordinator lives up to all the hype. He's going to have to.

I am thinking that Claypool-Boykin was our best WR duo since Floyd-Tate. The former were not starters at the start of the 2017 season while the latter were impressed into service as frosh.

I think the big takeaway, is not how BK is a loser coach who doesn't know how to cater appropriately to elite recruits and get them on the field quicker, or anything like that.

It's that the new transfer portal is officially open for business! Anybody can transfer anytime they want no questions asked. And if you're a former super elite recruit and you're still not in the two-deep by your soph year then it's hasta la vista. Simple as that.

So good luck to JJ, and I hope he chooses his transfer wisely because this is his one-time get out of jail free card, and he's stuck wherever he goes next. And this is how this newly liberalized transfer regime stands to really hurt ND. Because we won't be accepting transfers-in as easily as other schools will. But they can certainly transfer out at the drop of a hat.
With the liberalization of transfers, college football has truly entered its FREE AGENCY phase. And as you’ve indicated, this hurts ND immeasurably as it’s a hard enough slog to get many of its players in and/or to keep them.

Now, if someone is the least bit dissatisfied with playing time or life at the school, OFF THEY GO! And for many, that could be an extremely RATIONAL choice, given the pressures of being an ACTUAL student-athlete.

And on the other side, who are the WORTHIES who will come banging down the door to come to ND when they didn’t choose to go there or didn’t think they COULD or weren’t asked in the first place?

In recent years, there have been transfers from Stanford, Annapolis, Michigan and Northwestern. There have been ones from other places as well. But ND’s INCOMING TRANSFER PEER GROUP will be other prime academic institutions, a fairly limited pool, both in terms of numbers and average talent level.

While those who are on a MINOR LEAGUE/SEMI-PRO ride at the factories WILL NOT BE COMING in anything near quantity -- IF AT ALL.

And this is BEFORE taking into account the whole PRODUCT ENDORSEMENT FANDANGO which is likely to handicap ND further.

For 9 out of 10 top-flight recruits – and that’s a conservative guesstimate – college football is a SPORT that can generate material future wealth. It’s not some STUDENT-ATHLETE experience like in the 50’s when guys wore sports jackets and smoked pipes filled with cherry blend tobacco.

Too bad ND still lives in the world of the ACADEMIC PURITY TEST. Too bad that is -- for ND football and recruiting. It’s a very steep hill to navigate. As it surely must have been for the Johnson kid.

So then what? Who knows? Right now, despite what Kelly is forced to mouth – and Kelly has done WELL both as a coach and a spokesperson – ND’s mission, to me, appears to be to maintain its status as a top-flight college football BRAND.

PROMISE CHAMPIONSHIPS. CULTIVATE THE BRAND.

As its teams are short of consistent championship caliber, ND sells itself as a team that can find itself IN THE HUNT. A team of heart and integrity. That’s all laudable. But let’s see how it shakes out when players start moving rapidly about the board, and there’s money in the mix as well.

As for ND’s recruiting, I should now think it will require a PhD in the subject, given the even greater amount of needle threading that will be needed.

WILL THIS GUY STICK IT OUT HERE, OR WILL HE BOLT AT THE FIRST SIGN OF DIFFICULTY?

And if the game becomes more player-centric, how does a HYPER-INSTITUTIONAL place like ND cope with that? As I see it, there’s NO CLEAR PATH FORWARD for ND under this kind of regime.

In recent years, there have been transfers from Stanford, Annapolis, Michigan and Northwestern. There have been ones from other places as well. But ND’s INCOMING TRANSFER PEER GROUP will be other prime academic institutions, a fairly limited pool, both in terms of numbers and average talent level.
Cody Riggs on line 1. Although I haven't really checked the University of Florida's USNWR ranking lately.

With the liberalization of transfers, college football has truly entered its FREE AGENCY phase. And as you’ve indicated, this hurts ND immeasurably as it’s a hard enough slog to get many of its players in and/or to keep them.

Now, if someone is the least bit dissatisfied with playing time or life at the school, OFF THEY GO! And for many, that could be an extremely RATIONAL choice, given the pressures of being an ACTUAL student-athlete.

And on the other side, who are the WORTHIES who will come banging down the door to come to ND when they didn’t choose to go there or didn’t think they COULD or weren’t asked in the first place?

While those who are on a MINOR LEAGUE/SEMI-PRO ride at the factories WILL NOT BE COMING in anything near quantity -- IF AT ALL.

And this is BEFORE taking into account the whole PRODUCT ENDORSEMENT FANDANGO which is likely to handicap ND further.

For 9 out of 10 top-flight recruits – and that’s a conservative guesstimate – college football is a SPORT that can generate material future wealth. It’s not some STUDENT-ATHLETE experience like in the 50’s when guys wore sports jackets and smoked pipes filled with cherry blend tobacco.

Too bad ND still lives in the world of the ACADEMIC PURITY TEST. Too bad that is -- for ND football and recruiting. It’s a very steep hill to navigate. As it surely must have been for the Johnson kid.

So then what? Who knows? Right now, despite what Kelly is forced to mouth – and Kelly has done WELL both as a coach and a spokesperson – ND’s mission, to me, appears to be to maintain its status as a top-flight college football BRAND.

As its teams are short of consistent championship caliber, ND sells itself as a team that can find itself IN THE HUNT. A team of heart and integrity. That’s all laudable. But let’s see how it shakes out when players start moving rapidly about the board, and there’s money in the mix as well.

As for ND’s recruiting, I should now think it will require a PhD in the subject, given the even greater amount of needle threading that will be needed.

WILL THIS GUY STICK IT OUT HERE, OR WILL HE BOLT AT THE FIRST SIGN OF DIFFICULTY?

And if the game becomes more player-centric, how does a HYPER-INSTITUTIONAL place like ND cope with that? As I see it, there’s NO CLEAR PATH FORWARD for ND under this kind of regime.
Well the upside is we get to have huge recruiting classes every year, just to get to 85. Let's say we lose like, five guys every year to transfer, and so we take 25 every year to compensate and that way the cream rises to the top amongst our bountiful freshman classes every year! It's not like starters are going to transfer. So maybe it will be a huge boon.

Still, I feel uneasy about it. It could be too erratic and unpredictable.

If this NCAA-FA trend lasts then we are going to even more miserable if we treat every transfer as a coaching failure.

I’m less worried about transfers and more concerned about qb and wr evaluation and development

Reactions: Golson5
Well the upside is we get to have huge recruiting classes every year, just to get to 85. Let's say we lose like, five guys every year to transfer, and so we take 25 every year to compensate and that way the cream rises to the top amongst our bountiful freshman classes every year! It's not like starters are going to transfer. So maybe it will be a huge boon.

Still, I feel uneasy about it. It could be too erratic and unpredictable.
Yes, they could certainly take larger classes assuming they can get them and still preserve overall class quality. But even there, you're now having to factor in a significant POTENTIAL ATTRITION factor in excess of one that was already material.

And yes again, this could certainly lead to erratic and more unpredictable outcomes. In fact, it could actually become DESTABILIZING.

ND's model for playing college football only stretches SO FAR. In a transfer-happy, player-centric, monetized environment you are, as I see it, right to feel uneasy.

It's too early to tell what, but something WILL HAVE TO GIVE. I will simply be amazed if ND can turn all of this to its ADVANTAGE.

Yes, they could certainly take larger classes assuming they can get them and still preserve overall class quality. But even there, you're now having to factor in a significant POTENTIAL ATTRITION factor in excess of one that was already material.

And yes again, this could certainly lead to erratic and more unpredictable outcomes. In fact, it could actually become DESTABILIZING.

ND's model for playing college football only stretches SO FAR. In a transfer-happy, player-centric, monetized environment you are, as I see it, right to feel uneasy.

It's too early to tell what, but something WILL HAVE TO GIVE. I will simply be amazed if ND can turn all of this to its ADVANTAGE.
I suppose we need to factor in the N-I-L stuff as well, which is way, WAY, WW--AA--YY more of a crazy, unpredictable x-factor in the Brave New Equation of CFB moving forward.

So ND has two things they need to worry about, dealing with players transferring out in greater numbers, just as regular transfers a la JJ, as well as all these dudes on the three-year graduation track who can be grad transfers and transfer out of ND and still play TWO more seasons somewhere else. Which is pretty cool for them. They get their ND degree, and then get to have a whole 2nd act in their playing careers where presumably they can be starters.

And then of course there's the true elephant in the room which is the NIL thing, and the legalized paying of players, which still seems totally on the backburner as society gropes with more pressing concerns. Maybe that's what these billboards are about. It's some sort of sleek NIL marketing, as well as a recruiting tool, I suppose, though I don't that's that cool of a recruiting ploy or whatnot. The NIL thing, if somehow it doesn't simply amount to legalized booster payments in a fairly straightforward fashion, sans the bagman, is going to end up being very dystopian.

I suppose we need to factor in the N-I-L stuff as well, which is way, WAY, WW--AA--YY more of a crazy, unpredictable x-factor in the Brave New Equation of CFB moving forward.

So ND has two things they need to worry about, dealing with players transferring out in greater numbers, just as regular transfers a la JJ, as well as all these dudes on the three-year graduation track who can be grad transfers and transfer out of ND and still play TWO more seasons somewhere else. Which is pretty cool for them. They get their ND degree, and then get to have a whole 2nd act in their playing careers where presumably they can be starters.

And then of course there's the true elephant in the room which is the NIL thing, and the legalized paying of players, which still seems totally on the backburner as society gropes with more pressing concerns. Maybe that's what these billboards are about. It's some sort of sleek NIL marketing, as well as a recruiting tool, I suppose, though I don't that's that cool of a recruiting ploy or whatnot. The NIL thing, if somehow it doesn't simply amount to legalized booster payments in a fairly straightforward fashion, sans the bagman, is going to end up being very dystopian.
What the relaxed transfer rule could do is further commodify players almost to the point of tradeable assets.

While I’m not suggesting that college football teams could start trading players, players themselves will now more frequently be trading in their initial asset value at one venue in order to deploy it at another. Notice I didn’t say SCHOOL as in most cases, schooling, I suspect, will have little to do with it.

It will be more like leaving Fidelity for Vanguard. Or vice-versa. As in the search for GREATER RETURN.

And the more it happens, the more players could be seen as potential PUZZLE SOLVERS for teams missing this or that part. The entire CFB personnel landscape could become considerably more fluid and the team-building process more dynamic and, therefore, a) more EXACTING and b) potentially more punishing for those teams than can’t or won’t keep up.

In the past, measuring a player’s projected asset value was confined by and large to his recruitment period. Now, it’s likely to be tracked and scrutinized by EVALUATORS on an almost constant basis. And by this, I mean that the media could have a fascinating new toy to play with. Sites like Blue & Gold might even have to hire analysts to handle the TRANSFER PORTAL just as they eventually did with recruiting.

As for NIL, I think it’s potentially far too dynamic a development to envision what it will result in. With electronics, everything we apply it to has EXPONENTIAL POTENTIAL: 5/6G; autonomous EV’s; crypto and other digital assets; the Internet of Things; AI.

And once something is COMPUTATIONALLY FINANCIALIZED, the sky’s the limit as to how many ways you can TRY TO MAKE MONEY from it. Whatever's digitized will be monetized, and whatever’s monetized will be digitized. Because the BLOCKCHAIN WILL MAKE IT SO.

In light of this, I can’t see how the NIL phenomenon can possibly escape attempted heavy duty digitization-monetization by someone. But boosters and local car dealerships? They're more the 1950’s version of it. The Johnny Lattner/cherry-blend pipe smoker’s version.

Instead, what if some of the thinking that has brought us non-fungible tokens (NFT’s) permeates this space and a player’s digitized image in a certain context -- say, a Heisman related expression -- is viewed as a token of inordinate value? As is the case in other domains where rare tweets or inaugural emails from celebrities have sold as tokens in some cases for millions?

Or even should some of the fetishism you see in baseball card/sports memorabilia collecting take root in the NIL space, what might we be looking at?

Like I said, I have NO IDEA except that the whole thing could take off in a variety of unforeseen ways.

Last edited:
Greg Olsen.

Edit. Can we count Randy Moss since he actually signed a LOI. That still stings that we denied him.
No it doesn’t

integrity and standards trump raw ability.

you can’t have attended ND

That is interesting !

That is interesting !
That is at least 7 a year. That sounded like a lot to me until I read about how many had already graduated. It is about 5 a year. That is impressive.

Those historical stats would be really important for roster management and over signing.

Goid analysis but I think you reduce the player transfers by playing non starters in blow puts or to give starters a rest

ADVERTISEMENT