ADVERTISEMENT

Lol Jordan Johnson to transfer

$hi+ happens. Remember Ben Davis, 5 Star Top #1 LB in nation (2016, Overall 5th in country) that went to Alabama?? Yeah, I didn't think so. He just transferred from Ala to Texas last week. The former 5 star can't miss stud LB had a total of about 9 tackles in 4 years. NINE! Recruiting "gurus" miss on guys or the player just doesn't gel at the school or the coach for whatever reason.

5 stars probably have an expectation to play right away. You could tell there were issues when he hardly saw the field in a free year. Probably ND lands 5 star players once ever few years abs hardly ever at the skill positions. That’s why they will always be a step behind Bama.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
A lot of talk about how Freeman has simplified the defense and allows playmakers to just go out and make plays. Well, the same needs to happen with the offense, IMO. Simplify it, get your best athletes out on the field and get the balls in their hands.

The offensive game has changed and if you look at ND's losses in the big games recently they got killed on the scoreboard but I don't think they got killed on the filed. The difference is Clemson and 'Bama had 10 or so big plays and ND had none. That's where ND needs to get to on offense... big plays and you get those from great athletes.
This is literally what Bama does. Nothing fancy, nothing crazy. Just straightforward football with a BUNCH of athletes.

WR has been a mess at ND under Kelly. They have done a great job at recruiting some underrated players Fuller/Claypool but Kelly has not been good at getting and developing the big dogs at the position. I think part of the problem is kelly doesn't let the athletes be athletes as much. It's more important to be assignment correct than to make plays it seems at WR for kelly, a lot of WRs don't develop as it seems they are thinking way too much. Lets be honest, with Johnson leaving, it's almost all 3 star WRs on the roster (other than the incoming frosh). That's not good. Kevin Austin MUST get healthy and have a huge year. We weren't going to compete to win it all with Ben and Javon, we won't with Lenzy, Keys, wilkins, davis being our main threats.

We've had some really talented players on offense at skill position but really the Oline has been driving the offense (as it should) for the last 4 years. Need the skill players to rise to the occasion to go to the next level. I think RB and TE are there, but not sure on QB and WR.

Lastly, Johnson didn't look like a 5 star top 25 player talent wise in any videos I saw of him. He wasn't smoking by anyone or out jumping and making great grabs.
BS. Name a single player that left ND that ended up good. Sometimes the scouts are way off. That's the truth.

WR has been a mess at ND under Kelly. They have done a great job at recruiting some underrated players Fuller/Claypool but Kelly has not been good at getting and developing the big dogs at the position. I think part of the problem is kelly doesn't let the athletes be athletes as much. It's more important to be assignment correct than to make plays it seems at WR for kelly, a lot of WRs don't develop as it seems they are thinking way too much. Lets be honest, with Johnson leaving, it's almost all 3 star WRs on the roster (other than the incoming frosh). That's not good. Kevin Austin MUST get healthy and have a huge year. We weren't going to compete to win it all with Ben and Javon, we won't with Lenzy, Keys, wilkins, davis being our main threats.

We've had some really talented players on offense at skill position but really the Oline has been driving the offense (as it should) for the last 4 years. Need the skill players to rise to the occasion to go to the next level. I think RB and TE are there, but not sure on QB and WR.

Lastly, Johnson didn't look like a 5 star top 25 player talent wise in any videos I saw of him. He wasn't smoking by anyone or out jumping and making great grabs.
Fuller and Claypool “underrated” ?

By whom ?

Both are starting NFL receivers !

Maybe Kelly is a better evaluated of talent than you think !

in fact, 9 of this year’s team just got drafted by the NFL

That sounds like great evaluation to me.

Reactions: iwish
Our staff seems to have an inability to get freshman ready to get on the field. If you all think this didn't hurt you're wrong. Kevin Austin, Lenzy, and LK3 have been injury prone. Long did a great job of bringing in recievers but this is concerning for the depth chart. We have a lot of talent, but a lot of "ifs".

Our staff seems to have an inability to get freshman ready to get on the field. If you all think this didn't hurt you're wrong. Kevin Austin, Lenzy, and LK3 have been injury prone. Long did a great job of bringing in recievers but this is concerning for the depth chart. We have a lot of talent, but a lot of "ifs".
It hurts in terms of depth. But just watching his HS film and him at ND, I never saw a big time player.

We have 5 veterans
Austin
Keys
Lenzy
Davis
Wilkins

We have 4 young guys
Watts
Styles
Colzie
Brunell

Add in the Tight End group and Running backs that can catch. I think we'll be fine. I can see us adding a WR transfer

It would be nice to add a few impact wrs in this recruiting class

Reactions: IrishMike409
It hurts in terms of depth. But just watching his HS film and him at ND, I never saw a big time player.

We have 5 veterans
Austin
Keys
Lenzy
Davis
Wilkins

We have 4 young guys
Watts
Styles
Colzie
Brunell

Add in the Tight End group and Running backs that can catch. I think we'll be fine. I can see us adding a WR transfer

It would be nice to add a few impact wrs in this recruiting class
Even the "veterans" haven't seen much of the field with all the injuries. If they stay healthy this year you know they will bounce to the NFL rather than risk injury. Since Kelly will not play freshman recievers that will really hurt us down the road. Not to mention recruiting knowing that no matter how talented you won't see the field. Now with the transfer portal we can probably expect to see more transfers.

Even the "veterans" haven't seen much of the field with all the injuries. If they stay healthy this year you know they will bounce to the NFL rather than risk injury. Since Kelly will not play freshman recievers that will really hurt us down the road. Not to mention recruiting knowing that no matter how talented you won't see the field. Now with the transfer portal we can probably expect to see more transfers.
Some of those guys aren't nfl guys so they'll be back

Fuller and Claypool “underrated” ?

By whom ?

Both are starting NFL receivers !

Maybe Kelly is a better evaluated of talent than you think !

in fact, 9 of this year’s team just got drafted by the NFL

That sounds like great evaluation to me.
I said he’s done well with some underrated recruits like fuller and claypool. They weren’t that heavily recruited like other wrs. But we’ve struggled to land top wr recruits and develop our highest rated.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
I would disagree with the WR room being a mess. I think ND has had pretty good WR play. Someone mentioned Claypool, Fuller. boykins was decent, McKinley stepped up. Maybe ND was not the right fit for Johnson.

Let's say coach Kelly let these athletes that are four and five stars just be athletes and not worry about assignment correct. Let's forget about the fact that that hurts their chances in the pros which are assignment correct. After all the quarterback has to know where the receiver is going in order to throw the ball before the receiver makes the break. Gee, I wonder if that's the same in college football? I really think it is. These receivers that may put up gaudy numbers in high school, are not assigned incorrect. They run downfield, the quarterback throws the ball and they catch it. Wow Let's recruit that kid. That was a problem with the quarterback jurkovic. Every single highlight video showed him chucking the ball 30 to 50 yards, but no significant amount of throws were recorded of him throwing the shortfall, or the screenplay. Screenplay takes timing, which is not missile you for tape in high school football. Don't blame the coaching staff, blame the athletes. Look what they did with Claypool in Fuller. You got to want to have a kid who is coachable and we'll do the things you expect them to do. Then they can ad-lib when the pocket breaks down. Sorry for any syntax errors

The Irish have developed into a major winning program with 4 straight (5 out of 6) 10 win or more seasons.
It is not easy to get playing time. You have to fight for it. The competition among Notre Dame players is off the charts. The Irish are winning the National Championship this season. I have no doubt. The Irish players work out hard under Matt Ballis. They practice and study film hard under the great coaching staff,
The Irish have GREAT depth and send wave after wave of battle hardened hungry for glory troops against their opponents play after play week after week year after year.
The recruiting stars go out the window when the recruits come to South Bend.

That is why Notre Dame plays without names on the jersey ! Play the best !
I think the lack of names on jerseys do more with the mother's not wanting to know that their son's got injured on the playing field. All kidding aside, when athletes come to Notre Dame, the Stars really don't mean a lot. I don't think it's Dell Alexander's lack of development, but the fact that these athletes from high school who have these gaudy statistics are undisciplined, and you have to be disciplined and run the roofs so the quarterback knows where the throw the ball if he's in the pocket or on a specified rollout not running for his life. You have to run discipline routes in the pros don't you? Of course you do. Keep the enthusiasm going. One day you will be right. I do like our defense this year, and I believe our quarterback play will be improved.

Let's say coach Kelly let these athletes that are four and five stars just be athletes and not worry about assignment correct. Let's forget about the fact that that hurts their chances in the pros which are assignment correct. After all the quarterback has to know where the receiver is going in order to throw the ball before the receiver makes the break. Gee, I wonder if that's the same in college football? I really think it is. These receivers that may put up gaudy numbers in high school, are not assigned incorrect. They run downfield, the quarterback throws the ball and they catch it. Wow Let's recruit that kid. That was a problem with the quarterback jurkovic. Every single highlight video showed him chucking the ball 30 to 50 yards, but no significant amount of throws were recorded of him throwing the shortfall, or the screenplay. Screenplay takes timing, which is not missile you for tape in high school football. Don't blame the coaching staff, blame the athletes. Look what they did with Claypool in Fuller. You got to want to have a kid who is coachable and we'll do the things you expect them to do. Then they can ad-lib when the pocket breaks down. Sorry for any syntax errors
You're thinking about this the wrong way not understanding Kelly's offense.

Kelly's offense just isn't routes/plays........ he employs a ton of reads that both the WR and QB have to make. It's not as simple to get on the same page with the QB and learn all your reads as it is to just run a route.

My take is ND should be running more simple routes for stud athletes early in their careers. Say claypool, there was no reason to not put the ball in his hands at least 5-10 times a game since his sophomore year. He was one of if not the best athletes every time he stepped on the field.

Pitt gets chase and dominates with him on jet sweeps with his size and athleticism......... Did ND ever even hand the ball or do a quick pass to chase?

jaylen Guyton had a good college career. Michael Young is doing good at Cincinnati U. Hmm. Both are wrs.
It's rare. The vast majority of our 5 star talent that leaves is not good elsewhere. Sometimes academics are the problem too, not coaching. We've had some outstanding receivers under BK. Go look into the data. We do not squander more 5* talent than any other team. It's a guessing game. 5* talent means nothing without the right attitude. Some kids just can't do it at the next level or they were vastly overrated. When it comes down to it, they're all very talented if they're a 3-5 star. It's the ones that work the hardest that get good. I was a college athlete. My coach didn't make me good. The best kids on our team weren't necessarily the ones that had the most accolades. I wrestled with a kid in high school that was only a 1x state champ with no college offers. He walked on to a program and became national champion by his senior season. After that, he became a UFC champion (he's a household to most sports fans). He simply made a choice to live a spartan lifestyle, do nothing but train, and had an insatiable desire to achieve. He had talent, but not more than anyone else that made it to college. Most people don't want to sacrifice like that. He made himself good. His coach was there to help, but he's the one that stayed after practice for an hour every night while everyone else headed to the cafeteria to eat or back to the dorm to play video games. He couldn't stand losing. He was the only kid that got up at 5AM to run and lift while his teammates slept in.

How do you recruit those kids? No clue. But I think ND does it better than most teams. Yes, if you're Bama, you get the best athletes with the best work ethic. It's unfair, but it is what it is. They squander a lot of talent too, but they can afford to.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcswoopnh
Some of those guys aren't nfl guys so they'll be back
Perhaps, but there is a lot of ifs in that statement. They are talented and of they have a good season ok sure they want to take a shot at the NFL rather than risk another year and possible injury. Also if they want to come back they still have to apply for grad school and e accepted. We may be just fine but definitely hurt.

Kelly didn't recruit Floyd.

But yes, kelly is actually a great recruiter of current players getting them to come back for another year. Having Floyd in 2011 was huge.

Notre dame isn't for everyone, no question.
I pointed out that Weis was his Coach first at the beginning of my post. Your issue was developing WR. Floyd played two years for Kelly. He also developed him. THat's my point. It always isn't on the Head Coach or Staff.

I pointed out that Weis was his Coach first at the beginning of my post. Your issue was developing WR. Floyd played two years for Kelly. He also developed him. THat's my point. It always isn't on the Head Coach or Staff.
DId he develop him, he was pretty darn good before getting to ND. I think he did a better job at running an offense around him.

My point was Kelly hasn't landed many elite WRs, the top ones he's landed haven't done much if anything at ND. Whether that's development, evaluation, etc, etc.

The two best WRs kelly recruited are Fuller and Claypool, two NOT highly recruited players. Claypool had a couple good offers. Is kelly better at finding diamonds in the rough vs actually getting can't miss top talents?

I don't think WR is as bad as CB, but we need to improve there moving forward. The 21 WR class is the first end to end good one kelly has brought in.

THe class before was a head scrather to me and I would get blasted for my comments on it. THey were

2020 CLass
JJ - Good player but not a can't miss and not as good as his ranking (i am still shocked he actually looks worse than I Thought) He didn't play in a passing offense in HS
Watts - Should have been a DB
Brunelle - No clue why we offered

They're young and there's still time, but I don't think that class will have many catches at ND.

2019 Class
Not a single WR (WTF)

I think ND will be fine at WR this year if they get a really transfer or if Kevin Austin is fully healthy and as good as I Think he can be

BS. Name a single player that left ND that ended up good. Sometimes the scouts are way off. That's the truth.
Greg Olsen.

Edit. Can we count Randy Moss since he actually signed a LOI. That still stings that we denied him.

A lot of talk about how Freeman has simplified the defense and allows playmakers to just go out and make plays. Well, the same needs to happen with the offense, IMO. Simplify it, get your best athletes out on the field and get the balls in their hands.

The offensive game has changed and if you look at ND's losses in the big games recently they got killed on the scoreboard but I don't think they got killed on the filed. The difference is Clemson and 'Bama had 10 or so big plays and ND had none. That's where ND needs to get to on offense... big plays and you get those from great athletes.
Simplify the offense??? What are you talking about???

They run a simple route tree. If you can’t play in the ND offense and your need it simplified, you might as well hang up the cleats now.

There is nothing difficult about playing in the ND offense. Also, if you are a 4-5 star player with hopes of playing in the NFL, you better not complain about the offense not being simple enough.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Admit it. BK and staff have done a wonderful job. We can argue all day long about this or that. The simple reason we don't have a national title is because Bama, Clemson, and OSU get a preposterous amount of talent. There's just no argument. If we want to break into the top 3, we have to recruit better and continue to develop the players we get.

Simplify the offense??? What are you talking about???

They run a simple route tree. If you can’t play in the ND offense and your need it simplified, you might as well hang up the cleats now.

There is nothing difficult about playing in the ND offense. Also, if you are a 4-5 star player with hopes of playing in the NFL, you better not complain about the offense not being simple enough.
ND does a crap ton of pre-snap changes and WR's have to learn their adjustments. These other programs play with pace and they do a lot of RPO which creates a mismatch somewhere with one of their gamebreakers.

As far as them learning the intricacies of the position and blocking and such.. that's their NFL coaches problem. Just look at Waddle and Smith for the most recent examples. They weren't killing themselves blocking and 'Bama's offense was pretty vanilla but they were both drafted in the 1st round.

They both are great athletes and knew how to run their routes and find space.

ND does a crap ton of pre-snap changes and WR's have to learn their adjustments. These other programs play with pace and they do a lot of RPO which creates a mismatch somewhere with one of their gamebreakers.

As far as them learning the intricacies of the position and blocking and such.. that's their NFL coaches problem. Just look at Waddle and Smith for the most recent examples. They weren't killing themselves blocking and 'Bama's offense was pretty vanilla but they were both drafted in the 1st round.

This.... now we don’t have waddle or smith, but let’s see what they do with styles this year

DId he develop him, he was pretty darn good before getting to ND. I think he did a better job at running an offense around him.

My point was Kelly hasn't landed many elite WRs, the top ones he's landed haven't done much if anything at ND. Whether that's development, evaluation, etc, etc.

The two best WRs kelly recruited are Fuller and Claypool, two NOT highly recruited players. Claypool had a couple good offers. Is kelly better at finding diamonds in the rough vs actually getting can't miss top talents?

I don't think WR is as bad as CB, but we need to improve there moving forward. The 21 WR class is the first end to end good one kelly has brought in.

THe class before was a head scrather to me and I would get blasted for my comments on it. THey were

2020 CLass
JJ - Good player but not a can't miss and not as good as his ranking (i am still shocked he actually looks worse than I Thought) He didn't play in a passing offense in HS
Watts - Should have been a DB
Brunelle - No clue why we offered

They're young and there's still time, but I don't think that class will have many catches at ND.

2019 Class
Not a single WR (WTF)

I think ND will be fine at WR this year if they get a really transfer or if Kevin Austin is fully healthy and as good as I Think he can be

Will Fuller was a Penn State commit and a 4* by Rivals, decommitted, and committed to and signed with Notre Dame. I would say WAS highly sought after, because Michigan wanted him too. Claypool was a Canadian playing in High School in Canada and wasn't going to be highly sought after because he wasn't going to attend camps in the USA. I give Kelly HIGH credit for these two he recruited and developed.

Reactions: Chest Brockwell
Will Fuller was a Penn State commit and a 4* by Rivals, decommitted, and committed to and signed with Notre Dame. I would say WAS highly sought after, because Michigan wanted him too. Claypool was a Canadian playing in High School in Canada and wasn't going to be highly sought after because he wasn't going to attend camps in the USA. I give Kelly HIGH credit for these two he recruited and developed.
Was Fuller a 3* at one time in any service? I can never remember these things.

It gets hashed out a lot in the off-season. Suffice to say it's better to be good at recruiting 5s than developing 3s.

Fuller was wayyyyyyy under rated and got huge jump in ratings right before signing ... he was low 3 star when he decomitted...

I agree Kelly gets credit with those two but also needs the blame for the not landing many nfl talented wrs over 11 years. And really only claypool and fuller with staying power

maybe 5 wrs made nfl in 11 years, bama has about 5 in last 2

Fuller was wayyyyyyy under rated and got huge jump in ratings right before signing ... he was low 3 star when he decomitted...

I agree Kelly gets credit with those two but also needs the blame for the not landing many nfl talented wrs over 11 years. And really only claypool and fuller with staying power

maybe 5 wrs made nfl in 11 years, bama has about 5 in last 2
Seriously ?

I guess we are watching two different teams.

What is difficult about a WR reading zone or man? There are always new pre snap calls out in on game week. If you want a simple offense then you should start rewatching ND in the 1980’s. You cannot play that kind of football today.

ND cannot play Bama the way they play NC. There is nothing difficult about the ND offense. At least not for the WR to grasp.

I read Hansen's chat transcript tonight and he reported 77 players have transferred since Kelly became coach. Of them, 50 have completed their eligibility. 2!!!!! Have been drafted, both d-lineman....Eddie V (3rd round) and Aaron Lynch (5th round). I thought it was pretty interesting

Reactions: Zorich 88
ADVERTISEMENT