ADVERTISEMENT

Lol Jordan Johnson to transfer

WR has been a mess at ND under Kelly. They have done a great job at recruiting some underrated players Fuller/Claypool but Kelly has not been good at getting and developing the big dogs at the position. I think part of the problem is kelly doesn't let the athletes be athletes as much. It's more important to be assignment correct than to make plays it seems at WR for kelly, a lot of WRs don't develop as it seems they are thinking way too much. Lets be honest, with Johnson leaving, it's almost all 3 star WRs on the roster (other than the incoming frosh). That's not good. Kevin Austin MUST get healthy and have a huge year. We weren't going to compete to win it all with Ben and Javon, we won't with Lenzy, Keys, wilkins, davis being our main threats.

We've had some really talented players on offense at skill position but really the Oline has been driving the offense (as it should) for the last 4 years. Need the skill players to rise to the occasion to go to the next level. I think RB and TE are there, but not sure on QB and WR.

Lastly, Johnson didn't look like a 5 star top 25 player talent wise in any videos I saw of him. He wasn't smoking by anyone or out jumping and making great grabs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Java65
For what it's worth I talked to few folks I know who have some insight about it and they say it's not a football issue but more of an environment issue. Apparently the young man did not like the dynamic at ND as a student. As I said that's second hand info from folks I have no reason not to believe.

A lot of talk about how Freeman has simplified the defense and allows playmakers to just go out and make plays. Well, the same needs to happen with the offense, IMO. Simplify it, get your best athletes out on the field and get the balls in their hands.

The offensive game has changed and if you look at ND's losses in the big games recently they got killed on the scoreboard but I don't think they got killed on the filed. The difference is Clemson and 'Bama had 10 or so big plays and ND had none. That's where ND needs to get to on offense... big plays and you get those from great athletes.

WR has been a mess at ND under Kelly. They have done a great job at recruiting some underrated players Fuller/Claypool but Kelly has not been good at getting and developing the big dogs at the position. I think part of the problem is kelly doesn't let the athletes be athletes as much. It's more important to be assignment correct than to make plays it seems at WR for kelly, a lot of WRs don't develop as it seems they are thinking way too much. Lets be honest, with Johnson leaving, it's almost all 3 star WRs on the roster (other than the incoming frosh). That's not good. Kevin Austin MUST get healthy and have a huge year. We weren't going to compete to win it all with Ben and Javon, we won't with Lenzy, Keys, wilkins, davis being our main threats.

We've had some really talented players on offense at skill position but really the Oline has been driving the offense (as it should) for the last 4 years. Need the skill players to rise to the occasion to go to the next level. I think RB and TE are there, but not sure on QB and WR.

Lastly, Johnson didn't look like a 5 star top 25 player talent wise in any videos I saw of him. He wasn't smoking by anyone or out jumping and making great grabs.
I think this is a bit on the nose but also a bit too far if that makes sense.

I feel the wr coach needs to be re evaluated. He's getting talent into the program which is good, but he only seems to be able to maximize talent that has been in the system 3-4 years, and that simply isn't palatable. Is he not evaluating talent correctly, or is he not able to maximize the talent he has.

Why can't we have a fresh or sophomore that's fast and can run a deep route just on the field running that particular route? Surely there is something these young guys can do well. Why not have them rotate in and do that one thing well vs not sniffing the field?

I do not believe this is all kelly, as he did not do this at Cincy. Whatever the case the SYSTEM has to be reevaluated and changed.

I will agree that Johnson seemed to have issues with the college experience, both on and off the field. I don't think this is a huge loss because based on film we have seen...he's not one of the 5 best wrs.... But it's a red flag. And other schools will recruit against us using him as an example.

^This is spot on!

For what it's worth I talked to few folks I know who have some insight about it and they say it's not a football issue but more of an environment issue. Apparently the young man did not like the dynamic at ND as a student. As I said that's second hand info from folks I have no reason not to believe.
I think Kelly referenced this a bit last year. I took his comments to mean he was struggling with the academics but this makes sense too.

Reactions: Kelso86
Serious question would you allow a 5* player on the field if...he didn't know the playback, didn't always apply himself, missed practices or had a piss poor attitude that affected his team? Not to mention academics
I'm not saying this is the case with JJ. These are reasons why a coach may not play a 5*. I kinda wish we knew everything that goes on inside the program. It does seem a % of 5*s don't work out at ND

Well that's disappointing. But the haters of course are going to LOVE IT. Five-star recruits committing and then later transferring is basically the spiritual lifeforce of your typical miserable fanboy hater and they come alive at the news of it.

I bet you I know why he's doing this. He sees someone like Javon McKinley who did nothing for three years before finally having his moment as a fifth-year senior and then not getting drafted and he's worried that will be his fate. And he's not entirely incorrect to feel that way I would surmise. I'm not going to sit here and say BK does or doesn't favor veteran players, he very well may, which is a fine thing to do if he does. It's one of the reasons I love BK so much.

But I can also say with even more confidence that JJ would be first-string if he were too good to keep on the bench --- a la Michael Mayer, a la Clarence Lewis, a la Kyren Williams/Chris Tyree, the list goes on...

In any case we're going to be just fine at WR if the last three seasons are any guide.

Serious question would you allow a 5* player on the field if...he didn't know the playback, didn't always apply himself, missed practices or had a piss poor attitude that affected his team? Not to mention academics
I'm not saying this is the case with JJ. These are reasons why a coach may not play a 5*. I kinda wish we knew everything that goes on inside the program. It does seem a % of 5*s don't work out at ND
Well, a kid with a terrible attitude I wouldn't let on the team. That said if I had a kid that was a homerun threat every time he touched the ball but didn't block well and didn't know the playbook inside and out.. you bet I'd play him. I'd have him on the field as much as I could.

Simplify. Get as many playmakers on the field as possible. Get the playmakers into space. Get the ball to the playmakers as much as possible.

First of all no surprise here.

Second You can't play a kid who doesn't know the play book or won't block . You want to be like Alabama, Do you really think Nick Saban would play a guy who won't block or doesn't know his play book ? C'mon be serious.

Third You can't simplify-----Defenses today don't let you. Half of the plays being run are changed at the LOS in the offensive football of today.

Best of luck to the kid----he gave us a try------we're not for everybody.

I am going to make a prediction and say Styles gets playing time as a true freshman. Maybe, it is not on the coaching staff. Do you remember that all world cannot miss five star QB Michigan had that did not get drafted.

Reactions: IrishLenny76
Well, a kid with a terrible attitude I wouldn't let on the team. That said if I had a kid that was a homerun threat every time he touched the ball but didn't block well and didn't know the playbook inside and out.. you bet I'd play him. I'd have him on the field as much as I could.

Simplify. Get as many playmakers on the field as possible. Get the playmakers into space. Get the ball to the playmakers as much as possible.
Not disagreeing . Just throwing out there are several legit possibilities (on and off the field)that would prevent a super talent from seeing the field.
I don't believe the playbook is super difficult compared to other programs.
I think it is OK to question Del as a coach. He has a mixed record and I imagine Coach Long had a pretty good say in who was hired

BK craves winning, if the player can play and does his stuff in the classroom; he will play. I wish the young man the best of luck. I hope he finds what he's looking for at another school. On the bright side-rooms made for another recruit.

Sorry but you have to go to class. It is Notre Dame, not a semi-pro team like OSU or Alabama.

It is what it is... deal with it or move on as a fan.

Unfortunate that he transferred. But, I never viewed him as a 5 star as a recruit. I never thought he was on that level. And he never looked the part while he was here.

On the other hand, I think our wr coach is the weakest link in terms of recruiting and as a coach on the staff. Maybe it's time to address that after the season

Reactions: mirer03
Not disagreeing . Just throwing out there are several legit possibilities (on and off the field)that would prevent a super talent from seeing the field.
I think it is OK to question Del as a coach. He has a mixed record and I imagine Coach Long had a pretty good say in who was hired

Ok. Let’s take a step back and analyze before we bag Kelly for lack of development

Point 1- I have seen nothing that validated how this kid was rated a five star. Zero. Nothing jumped out

Point 2- if you are special, it shows. There simply is no way that a Randy Moss, Michael Floyd, Chase Claypool, Will Fuller, Golden Tate, Tim Brown, crap- a Fred Bilitnikof, would be overlooked and not stand out in practices. Did we ever, once hear of Jordan being spectacular in practice? Case closed

Time will tell. Maybe he becomes a contributor somewhere but I would be very surprised if he becomes all world

Oh point 3- ND for life. I give Jordan credit for choosing ND. Maybe it’s not for him. But is it a bad fit? Come on. If you are a shining star a challenging fit is overlooked because of the reasons you picked Nd in the first place. Career value

I feel strongly he is in over his head due to over hype and inability to achieve

Unfortunate that he transferred. But, I never viewed him as a 5 star as a recruit. I never thought he was on that level. And he never looked the part while he was here.

On the other hand, I think our wr coach is the weakest link in terms of recruiting and as a coach on the staff. Maybe it's time to address that after the season
Not to mention he was Coach Longs choice. A younger,more aggressive recruiter should have that spot

Reactions: Golson5
Yea, I understand. My assessment isn't just in regards to JJ, it's based on what I've seen and comments Kelly has made. First let me say I'm not in any way insinuating Kelly be fired or that he's not a good coach. Overall I think he's done a really good job. Since '16 ND almost never loses to a team they shouldn't, we win 10 games a year and are competitive against everyone but the 3 or 4 elite clubs. There have only been a few times the last 4 years the team has played poorly.

My one critique is the offense won't beat the elite teams and more times than not they'll get killed on the scoreboard. I've heard Kelly talk about the WR's learning the playbook or learning to block downfield. I've seen our fairly conservative playcalling. Maybe part of it was Book was overly cautious, but I don't tend to think this is the issue.

Look at the track record of highly ranked recruits that transferred from ND. I think what you'll find is that most didn't go on to have All-American careers or become a first round draft pick. It's disappointing that the highest rated recruit didn't work out, but chances are Johnson leaving is ND's gain. No point in using a scholarship on a guy that is gonna stand on the sideline. Use the extra scholarship to find a guy who can contribute. Good luck to Johnson. I wish him well.

I hate to be this guy.....but I don’t see it as a big loss. What has JJ done to warrant PT or even warrant status as a young impact player? He’s had time to make an impact, and hasn’t. I’ve heard more good stuff about Lorenzo Styles....

Last edited:
Reactions: theskibro
Look at the track record of highly ranked recruits that transferred from ND. I think what you'll find is that most didn't go on to have All-American careers or become a first round draft pick. It's disappointing that the highest rated recruit didn't work out, but chances are Johnson leaving is ND's gain. No point in using a scholarship on a guy that is gonna stand on the sideline. Use the extra scholarship to find a guy who can contribute. Good luck to Johnson. I wish him well.
Good point. Most who transfer are rarely heard from again

I hate to be this guy.....but I don’t see it as a big loss. What has JJ done to warrant PT or even warrant status as a young impact player? He’s had time to make an impact, and hasn’t. I’ve heard more good stuff about Lorenzo Styles....,
I think it has more to do with expectations that go with signing a 5* than what he actually showed here

Reactions: IrishMike409
I hate to be this guy.....but I don’t see it as a big loss. What has JJ done to warrant PT or even warrant status as a young impact player? He’s had time to make an impact, and hasn’t. I’ve heard more good stuff about Lorenzo Styles....,
Nothing at all. It's just obsessing over stars. I'm sure this guy had some real talent to get to five stars in the first place. But other than that, he's just another guy. And it's up to him like it is any athlete to make their own destiny.

And I guess ND isn't the place for him. You do kind of wonder sometimes if his status as a five-star elite recruit messed with his own head. I'm sure it does a lot of the time, and that's a damn shame if you ask me. Yet another reason why all the recruiting stars shit is such a nightmare.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It was Long who really sold ND to Johnson. The he saw very limited PT time last year. Whatever happened he lost that loving feeling. Hard loss and hope he finds what he's looking for.

Not a comfortable fit for him I think with all the negative traits talk. He has 5 star expectations and he wasn't playing. I noticed Styles more than JJ on Saturday.

Where do people guess that he will land? I am thinking Leach because he uses a ton of receivers to run his 50 passes a game offense. JJ could play a ton right away.

JJ was MIA in the blue gold game while given his share of reps. We all were enamored with getting a highly rated five star talent, and were disappointed with his struggles last season in the classroom and elsewhere that kept him off the field. So, I was interested to see him finally get some playing time in the blue/gold game, and he was a huge disappointment. Don’t know if it is attitude, skill, or what...but he was not going to get playing time based on his performance, and especially when you consider some of the young talent arriving this Fall. I’ve thought Alexander a weak link in our coaching ranks, but I don’t think this has anything to do with his coaching. Hope the kid finds a place where he is happy and productive, but ND was not a good fit, and his leaving will have zero impact.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
I think the big takeaway, is not how BK is a loser coach who doesn't know how to cater appropriately to elite recruits and get them on the field quicker, or anything like that.

It's that the new transfer portal is officially open for business! Anybody can transfer anytime they want no questions asked. And if you're a former super elite recruit and you're still not in the two-deep by your soph year then it's hasta la vista. Simple as that.

So good luck to JJ, and I hope he chooses his transfer wisely because this is his one-time get out of jail free card, and he's stuck wherever he goes next. And this is how this newly liberalized transfer regime stands to really hurt ND. Because we won't be accepting transfers-in as easily as other schools will. But they can certainly transfer out at the drop of a hat.

This.

I Don't think JOhnson fits into this category, but I do think it's too hard to see the field under kelly at some positions. The fact Claypool didn't get 100 targets his soph through sr years is exactly what I'm talking about. He did enough things off the field to get on it starting his frosh year, but didn't get forced targets until the 2nd half of his sr year? THat is an absolute joke. You had a 6'5, 235lb 4.4 forty jacked WR with pretty good hands and you didn't make him the focal point of the offense? Yes claypool was very raw and still is to an extent, but he has always been a freak and elite with the ball in his hands.

Time has flown by since BK became our coach. I was just looking over the BK years here and noticed he has 6 ten win seasons in 11 years. His only black mark is 4-8 in 2016. The worse 7th season of any ND coach in Irish Football History. I even wanted him gone after that season. since then his teams are 43-8-0.

I'd say Michael Floyd developed as a WR okay, under Kelly, after Weis was fired. He spent some time away from the program because of a DUI issue that peeked it's ugly head again when he was with the Arizona Cardinals. I'd say Michael Floyd was a big dog. Look, if a person chooses Notre Dame, knowing they have work to do, in the classroom as well as the field, and that's made very clear to all recruits early on in the process. Notre Dame is not for everybody ( Aaron Lynch ). It didn't work out, I wish the young man well, but let's try to stop throwing Kelly under the bus every time a high star recruit wants to leave (Gunner Keil ). Any Notre Dame WR, to be successful, has to work hard at classroom studies, block well down field, and catch the ball 99.5% of the time. That's all Jordan Johnson had to do from day one and he would have had plenty of playing time with his natural talent, just fill those boxes.

Last edited:
I'd say Michael Floyd developed as a WR okay, under Kelly, after Weis was fired. He spent some time away from the program because of a DUI issue that peeked it's ugly head again when he was with the Arizona Cardinals. I'd say Michael Floyd was a big dog. Look, if a person chooses Notre Dame, knowing they have work to do, in the classroom as well as the field, and that's made very clear to all recruits early on in the process. Notre Dame is not for everybody ( Aaron Lynch ). It didn't work out, I wish the young man well, but let's try to stop throwing Kelly under the bus every time a high star recruit wants to leave (Gunner Keil ).
Kelly didn't recruit Floyd.

But yes, kelly is actually a great recruiter of current players getting them to come back for another year. Having Floyd in 2011 was huge.

Notre dame isn't for everyone, no question.

The Irish have developed into a major winning program with 4 straight (5 out of 6) 10 win or more seasons.
It is not easy to get playing time. You have to fight for it. The competition among Notre Dame players is off the charts. The Irish are winning the National Championship this season. I have no doubt. The Irish players work out hard under Matt Ballis. They practice and study film hard under the great coaching staff,
The Irish have GREAT depth and send wave after wave of battle hardened hungry for glory troops against their opponents play after play week after week year after year.
The recruiting stars go out the window when the recruits come to South Bend.

That is why Notre Dame plays without names on the jersey ! Play the best !

Reactions: Telx1 and theskibro
Wtf is with the WR room/ development/ status?
It’s been poor to say the least. Del Alexander has to go, easily the worst coach on the staff. As for JJ leaving, not surprised. Couldn’t crack the lineup even with the pedestrian WR group we had last year and didn’t look impressive in the few clips we have seen so far this year. His loss should open up a spot for potentially a transfer to come in and help out.

Reactions: Golson5
A lot of talk about how Freeman has simplified the defense and allows playmakers to just go out and make plays. Well, the same needs to happen with the offense, IMO. Simplify it, get your best athletes out on the field and get the balls in their hands.
I don't see how this applies to the WR. HE needs to run his route period.
Good point. Most who transfer are rarely heard from again

It seems like we lose a lot of QBs and WRs to the Xfer. Were not the starters last year all ranked below others in their recruiting class. And then they are basically at the mercy of whatever situation they walk into i.e. Zaire running for his life behind an Oline sieve.

ADVERTISEMENT