ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley's teams are cotton soft. USC is NO different than OU

SouthFloridaIrish88

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 16, 2022
Unlike his predecessor at OU, Lincoln Riley's teams are soft as Charmin, he made the CFP 3x, and his teams played worse each time. His first team had Georgia on the ropes, but couldn't finish, his 2nd team was down 21-0 to Alabama, and put some cosmetic points on the board, this 3rd team suffered the worst beatdown in CFP history, if LSU wanted to, they could have scored a legit 100

Riley, bolted OU, because he wanted NO part of the SEC, he was content playing glorified flag football at OU, and winning 10-12 games year in the powder puff conference. Great job security, but he knew the SEC would take his powder puff offense and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Kiffin, Kelly, Heupel, even a guy like Clark Lea went looking for the SEC. Riley went looking something easier. If history is a teacher, this will be Riley's physically toughest team, and they are not tough at all.

The Air Raid scheme to a guy like Golden, will have all the complexity of Tic Tac Toe. ND will be prepared, it will really be up to the kids, to be on point with run fits, RUSH LANES, clean tackling, an eye discipline on the RPO. When the QB #13 gets away, he needs to be hit to the echo of the whistle and the crowd should be crying for a personal foul. Turn him into hamburger.

Offensively, it must be the same neanderthal, medievil, trench warfare. Tommy Rees has learned some really hard lessons this year, Marshall, Stanford, 2nd half vs Navy. Last year Tommy was surrounded by a Head Coach who could coordinate an offense and call plays, he had an RB coach Lance Taylor, who is doing a fine job as OC at 7-4 Louisville this year, and John Mcnulty was OC at Rutgers twice and OC at BC.

This year Tommy has not been surrounded by that experience and he has gotten his teeth kicked down his throat, several times. But I think he has learned, he is an exceptional coach, and a surefire future Head Coach.

He will have ND prepared to put points on the board, and I think Pyne will play his best game of the year. This is a sandwich game for USC, rivalry vs UCLA, Pac 12 Title game afterwards. I think it will be a big night for the Irish. Freeman concludes the most successful first year for a Head Coach since Weis in 2005,

USC LOOKED IMPRESSIVE OFFENSIVELY AND TRAVELING TO L.A. TO PLAY THEM IS ALWAYS A CHALLENGE.

USC HAS A LOT TO PLAY FOR NEXT SATURDAY !

I WOULDN‘T DESCRIBE THEM AS SOFT !

GO IRISH 🍀

Reactions: NDinNJ
Unlike his predecessor at OU, Lincoln Riley's teams are soft as Charmin, he made the CFP 3x, and his teams played worse each time. His first team had Georgia on the ropes, but couldn't finish, his 2nd team was down 21-0 to Alabama, and put some cosmetic points on the board, this 3rd team suffered the worst beatdown in CFP history, if LSU wanted to, they could have scored a legit 100

Riley, bolted OU, because he wanted NO part of the SEC, he was content playing glorified flag football at OU, and winning 10-12 games year in the powder puff conference. Great job security, but he knew the SEC would take his powder puff offense and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Kiffin, Kelly, Heupel, even a guy like Clark Lea went looking for the SEC. Riley went looking something easier. If history is a teacher, this will be Riley's physically toughest team, and they are not tough at all.

The Air Raid scheme to a guy like Golden, will have all the complexity of Tic Tac Toe. ND will be prepared, it will really be up to the kids, to be on point with run fits, RUSH LANES, clean tackling, an eye discipline on the RPO. When the QB #13 gets away, he needs to be hit to the echo of the whistle and the crowd should be crying for a personal foul. Turn him into hamburger.

Offensively, it must be the same neanderthal, medievil, trench warfare. Tommy Rees has learned some really hard lessons this year, Marshall, Stanford, 2nd half vs Navy. Last year Tommy was surrounded by a Head Coach who could coordinate an offense and call plays, he had an RB coach Lance Taylor, who is doing a fine job as OC at 7-4 Louisville this year, and John Mcnulty was OC at Rutgers twice and OC at BC.

This year Tommy has not been surrounded by that experience and he has gotten his teeth kicked down his throat, several times. But I think he has learned, he is an exceptional coach, and a surefire future Head Coach.

He will have ND prepared to put points on the board, and I think Pyne will play his best game of the year. This is a sandwich game for USC, rivalry vs UCLA, Pac 12 Title game afterwards. I think it will be a big night for the Irish. Freeman concludes the most successful first year for a Head Coach since Weis in 2005,

Your first paragraph would indicate ND is softer than cotton, as ND had no chance in any of their playoff games. ND never had anyone on the ropes and was usually knocked out by the mid-2nd quarter.

With that, thinking USC is soft is just nonsense. Pyne will play his best game, but that still will not equal what ND needs for a championship team. We discovered yesterday that a TE could do what Pyne does - hand the ball to an RB and watch the RB run for yardage/TD. A TE can also miss open receivers stalling TD drives into FG attempts.

Your first paragraph would indicate ND is softer than cotton, as ND had no chance in any of their playoff games. ND never had anyone on the ropes and was usually knocked out by the mid-2nd quarter.

With that, thinking USC is soft is just nonsense. Pyne will play his best game, but that still will not equal what ND needs for a championship team. We discovered yesterday that a TE could do what Pyne does - hand the ball to an RB and watch the RB run for yardage/TD. A TE can also miss open receivers stalling TD drives into FG attempts.
that has got to be one of the dumbest posts I have seen here yet and that is saying a lot

ND is definitely ready to beat USC, or to die trying. Even the freakishly poor 2nd half for Navy is a positive in that it can be a motivating factor as something to avoid, and no more lapses, probably more for the coaches than the players, but nevertheless a lesson learned I suppose...

But USC obviously is good. You don't go 10-1 like that, with a much worse program than MF inherited, if you are a bumbling nincompoop. And notwithstanding the OP's very valid points about LR's typically shitty defenses, they do have plenty of individual talent, and if they can score anywhere into the30s, it will be tough to win.

But all that said this is indeed setting up to be a potentially great game.

that has got to be one of the dumbest posts I have seen here yet and that is saying a lot

I can play too. No one is dumber than you - do you wear your knee pads all the time or just when defending a way below-average QB? How about it, "Neil?" Dumb is thinking Pyne is anything more than a D3 QB playing at the P5 level - an enormous recruiting mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: futuredomer
I can play too. No one is dumber than you - do you where your knee pads all the time or just when defending a way below-average QB? How about it, "Neil?" Dumb is thinking Pyne is anything more than a D3 QB playing at the P5 level - an enormous recruiting mistake.
Man you managed to beat your last post in stupidity, congratulations.

ND is definitely ready to beat USC, or to die trying. Even the freakishly poor 2nd half for Navy is a positive in that it can be a motivating factor as something to avoid, and no more lapses, probably more for the coaches than the players, but nevertheless a lesson learned I suppose...

But USC obviously is good. You don't go 10-1 like that, with a much worse program than MF inherited, if you are a bumbling nincompoop. And notwithstanding the OP's very valid points about LR's typically shitty defenses, they do have plenty of individual talent, and if they can score anywhere into the30s, it will be tough to win.

But all that said this is indeed setting up to be a potentially great game.
You do if you bring in 27 guys. I watched the game every time there was a big play the announcer said “that’s the transfer from ———“

My post would indicate no such thing, that is your opinion. ND faced undefeated generational teams in 2018 Clemson and 2020 Alabama. ND was beaten soundly in those games. OU was murdered on live TV by 2019 LSU. Their defense in the Gig 12 was a running embarrassment.

Riley's team is soft. ND shows up and brings its O-Line, USC will have limited possessions and Al Golden will have no issue scheming up the Air Raid.

Man you managed to beat your last post in stupidity, congratulations.
Sure Neil. Maybe I am stupid for responding to an idiot - a message board tough guy. That is all you are. What else do you have, Neil?

Your BS does not Pyne any better.

BIg man calling people stupid on a message board. What's the matter sweetheart, is life getting rough in mommy's basement? Or did they cut your hours at McDonalds?
Kind of whiny aren;t you?
was not fed your bottle soon enough?
Actually all your drivel about being soft makes one wonder if its to make up for something....

Sure Neil. Maybe I am stupid for responding to an idiot - a message board tough guy. That is all you are. What else do you have, Neil?

Your BS does not Pyne any better.
I am not the one whining and crying. Need a hug from your sensitive other?

My post would indicate no such thing, that is your opinion. ND faced undefeated generational teams in 2018 Clemson and 2020 Alabama. ND was beaten soundly in those games. OU was murdered on live TV by 2019 LSU. Their defense in the Gig 12 was a running embarrassment.

Riley's team is soft. ND shows up and brings its O-Line, USC will have limited possessions and Al Golden will have no issue scheming up the Air Raid.
OK, justified Notre Dame's shortcomings and exaggerate everyone else's. Got it - homerism.

How would you justify Notre Dame's pass defense against Navy?

Riley's team has a lot of players that Notre Dame recruited against USC for. I guess because they went somewhere else they're now soft, sure.

Accurately put neither team is soft and both will have to play good games in order to win.....

I am not the one whining and crying. Need a hug from your sensitive other?
No one is whining that's your interpretation but we know your interpretation is BS.

You thinking I need a hug is laughable.
What other cliche do you have Neil?

BIg man calling people stupid on a message board. What's the matter sweetheart, is life getting rough in mommy's basement? Or did they cut your hours at McDonalds?
Speaking of McDonalds… I’ve been really getting into that McRib the last few weeks.

Judge Riley over 2-3 years with players he would never get at OK. Same with BK at LSU. As others posters alluded to, this isn’t insignificant.

Regardless, I wouldn’t call USC soft. Let alone Notre Dame.

He's got one of the best RB coaches in the business. Deland is doing an outstanding job. ND does not miss Taylor one iota.

I think it's almost automatic to label a team "soft" when they have an explosive offense like USC. They can definitely go toe to toe with anyone.

You see the same BS on the Michigan boards about OSU but as we saw in the first game in the 2nd half, OSU can take it to a team on the ground when they have to and the passing game isn't there. Just a big mistake to assume that a team is soft because they have an explosive offense

I think it's almost automatic to label a team "soft" when they have an explosive offense like USC. They can definitely go toe to toe with anyone.

You see the same BS on the Michigan boards about OSU but as we saw in the first game in the 2nd half, OSU can take it to a team on the ground when they have to and the passing game isn't there. Just a big mistake to assume that a team is soft because they have an explosive offense
I think it's more in reference to their defense

Reactions: Okie70
I think the OP just means that they suck at defense, and that oftentimes that's sort of conflated or whatnot with the notion of being 'soft'. And teams that are 'soft' suck at defense. Maybe because they spend more of their practice time perfecting the offense, and all the finesse and timing that comes with that, and less time and reps on hard-nosed fundamentals, and physical defensive drills and whatnot. And so those types of teams really are a bit soft compared to ones like us that suck on offense, and may well have abounded the passing game altogether, and both the OL and the run defense gets all the priority in a ND practice these days.....

Sounds like I should take the points.

if I was Riley, after the season, I bring in Ed O. on staff. He would bring the toughness factor missing from USC for 12 years or so. Ice Cream Cone coach Helton created that soft mindset. A dramatic complete reversal of approach is needed. Return to Boot Camp.

Were they “soft” or just overmatched? That LSU team might have been the best team ever. Regardless, I do think we have a good chance to push them around Saturday. Whether or not they’re soft we have better guys up front both ways, so as long as we focus on our own toughness and execution we should have success.

if I was Riley, after the season, I bring in Ed O. on staff. He would bring the toughness factor missing from USC for 12 years or so. Ice Cream Cone coach Helton created that soft mindset. A dramatic complete reversal of approach is needed. Return to Boot Camp.
Ed O has no interest. loved sc , hated Hayden but game has not changed to his liking.

Now you understand why most OU fans aren't sorry Coach Hairplugs is gone and you are exactly right. He left because he was afraid of the SEC and I would be willing to bet he will not be the coach at SC when they go to the Big 10. He wants it easy, he likes being called an offensive guru, but truth is his offense was slipping every year because coaches in the Big 12 had him figured out (just drop 8 and make him take a long route down the field). He cares nothing about defense (obviously) and was turning us into Texas Tech. We are taking our lumps this year but will be better for it down the road.

Now you understand why most OU fans aren't sorry Coach Hairplugs is gone and you are exactly right. He left because he was afraid of the SEC and I would be willing to bet he will not be the coach at SC when they go to the Big 10. He wants it easy, he likes being called an offensive guru, but truth is his offense was slipping every year because coaches in the Big 12 had him figured out (just drop 8 and make him take a long route down the field). He cares nothing about defense (obviously) and was turning us into Texas Tech. We are taking our lumps this year but will be better for it down the road.
What are you talking about, you guys suck now. Although you did kick Okie St.'s ass. They must have been the year they finally thought they were going to win Bedlam.... Nope! Foiled again, and beaten pretty soundly into the bargain....

Does LR really use hair plugs?

What are you talking about, you guys suck now. Although you did kick Okie St.'s ass. They must have been the year they finally thought they were going to win Bedlam.... Nope! Foiled again, and beaten pretty soundly into the bargain....

yes, they are LED,

Now? Yes, we are down this year. Nobody is arguing that, but it would have been about the same if plugs had stayed. We would have been a little better on offense because of CW, but teams in the Big 12 had us figured out (we could have easily lost 4/5 games last year). Our problem has been defense and he didn't give a crap about that side of the ball so it would have been the same, maybe worse with the "Speed D" crap Grinch was running and with cross fit Bennie Wiley as our S&C coach. We have the right staff in place now (mostly) to move forward but it will take a couple of classes to get the right talent in place and recruiting is going well this year and for 2024. We'll be better next year but it will probably be 2024/25 before we have a shot at the CFP again. That is just the hard truth and most of our fans understand it. The ones who don't haven't been paying attention.

Now? Yes, we are down this year. Nobody is arguing that, but it would have been about the same if plugs had stayed. We would have been a little better on offense because of CW, but teams in the Big 12 had us figured out (we could have easily lost 4/5 games last year). Our problem has been defense and he didn't give a crap about that side of the ball so it would have been the same, maybe worse with the "Speed D" crap Grinch was running and with cross fit Bennie Wiley as our S&C coach. We have the right staff in place now (mostly) to move forward but it will take a couple of classes to get the right talent in place and recruiting is going well this year and for 2024. We'll be better next year but it will probably be 2024/25 before we have a shot at the CFP again. That is just the hard truth and most of our fans understand it. The ones who don't haven't been paying attention.
"We'll be better next year but it will probably be 2024/25 before we have a shot at the CFP again"

Not in the SEC you won't --

Reactions: NDSMC78
Oh well, good luck. I'm sure you guys will improve and all that, but it can't feel good falling back like this, on the eve of joining the SEC. For your sake I hope you guys return to the winners circle, so you can join the SEC from a position of strength. You don't want to be crawling in there at 7-5.....

Oh, and I remember you guys lost to Okie St. last year, that's why they were still ahead of us after the final week. Forgot about that. But the point still stands, even when you guys suck, Okie St. still can't beat you. So you still got that going for you. Texas managed to finally beat you this time, and in pretty commanding fashion.

Anyway......

OU50 is right. The only soft spot for USC is the D. Just like at OU. Which cost the Sooners the OSU game last year. He got some really good transfers on offensive; CW, the Oregon running back, Pitt receiver so they can score. Defense as bad as any he had at OU. Hope you guys win.

OU50 is right. The only soft spot for USC is the D. Just like at OU. Which cost the Sooners the OSU game last year. He got some really good transfers on offensive; CW, the Oregon running back, Pitt receiver so they can score. Defense as bad as any he had at OU. Hope you guys win.
No. They had worse defenses at OU. Their defense is bad but not atrocious

I think he’s NFL bound. Could be wrong. Been saying it since he left OU. This was an NFL move. Could see him as the OC for the Rams very soon.

I think he’s NFL bound. Could be wrong. Been saying it since he left OU. This was an NFL move. Could see him as the OC for the Rams very soon.
He's not leaving to be an OC. The only way he's going to the League is as HC

He's making 10 mil a year to be Head Coach.

He's not taking a pay cut and a demotion

ADVERTISEMENT