ADVERTISEMENT

Life after Ian Book

Your synopsis of Book’s “perfect storm” is spot on. Those skill sets really compliment each other nicely, supported by tremendous instincts.

They kind of need to. Book knows he can take his time and be more cautious, maybe because there's that sense that he can usually make something out of it with his legs if nothing else, avoid costly sacks etc. You just can't afford to hold onto the ball as long as Book often does if you're getting sacked and having too many negative plays on account of being slow of foot.

They were comparing him to Fran Tarkenton in the broadcast. Nice!

Here's sr year highlights of Brendan Clark if you're interested. I kind of feel like saying where Clark is concerned, that if Ian Book can do it, why can't someone like this guy? His profile is not that dissimilar to Book's.

I have been saying for some time now, all the Book haters are going to wish he was here after he leaves.
Book without a doubt, has had one of the greatest Careers any ND QB.
He will be missed the day he plays his last game.

No matter who starts next year, there will be a struggle at the QB position.

ND does not have a guy like DJ from Clemson waiting in the wings.

Who ever the QB is, he will not have any game plan built around him. ND will be a run first team.

Just need a game Manager next year at the QB spot.

Next year will have some growing pains for sure.

Reactions: Zorich 88
I suppose you're right. And if Book leaves, and there just happens to be a legit, high-quality option who wants in and is a program fit all the rest of it, of course you'd have to consider it. Though I don't think Kyler Murray was a grad transfer. Jalen Hurts was. And there are still impracticalities and drawbacks about it. We're not hurting at the QB position.

Kyler Murray was a grad transfer-----saw the field in some special packages behind Mayfield.

Kyler Murray was a grad transfer-----saw the field in some special packages behind Mayfield.

Not sure Murray was anything but a regular transfer; do not think he was a Graduate student when he was at Oklahoma.

Am I missing something here? Why the hell would Book not come back!? He has very little NFL potential.

Am I missing something here? Why the hell would Book not come back!? He has very little NFL potential.

Probably because he’s been at ND for five seasons, has had a very nice career and wants to move on. He may not want to take classes any longer either. I think the rule for allowing players to save a year of eligibility was a good idea but I think there was an intent for guys not playing full schedules. Book will likely play in 12-13 games this year pending CCgame/Playoffs, they play 13 every year.

There are going to be growing pains but I think we need to congratulate Book on his career and prepare to support the next young man.

Last edited:

Have you seen some of the QBs in the NFL? Chicago, Denver, Jax, NYJ, Wash? They are all desperate for even a decent QB. That's not including TB, NO and Indy who have 40 year old's playing, or even Pitt or GB where their QBs are aging fast.

I'm not sure Book is a NFL starter, but he could make it in the NFL and after 5 years he just may be ready to start his life.

Have you seen some of the QBs in the NFL? Chicago, Denver, Jax, NYJ, Wash? They are all desperate for even a decent QB. That's not including TB, NO and Indy who have 40 year old's playing, or even Pitt or GB where their QBs are aging fast.

I'm not sure Book is a NFL starter, but he could make it in the NFL and after 5 years he just may be ready to start his life.

Add to your list all the backups in the league. Raiders used Peterman this past weekend, SF used Mullens, and look at the Denver situation. Many teams have different levels of QB needs. Have no prediction for Book's chances, but many others also would not have predictions.

“Am I missing something here? Why the hell would Book not come back!? He has very little NFL potential.“

Were people missing something when they spouted off incessantly that he “sucked, should be benched, we’ll never win a big game w/ him, he’s a backup at best and that he’s a coward”? Not sure if you were one of them or not, but based on this post, I wouldn’t doubt it.

Reactions: Zorich 88
All three will compete for the job. Buchner is coming in early for that very reason. I wouldn’t write of Clark or Pyne. As for hitting the transfer portal, probably isn’t going to happen unless one of the above two transfers.
Not playing football this year is going to hurt buchners chances to play right away. A lot to ask of a true freshmen anyways, but as a true freshmen who didn't play his senior year... Best of luck to him to prove me wrong.

Add to your list all the backups in the league. Raiders used Peterman this past weekend, SF used Mullens, and look at the Denver situation. Many teams have different levels of QB needs. Have no prediction for Book's chances, but many others also would not have predictions.

Exactly

“Am I missing something here? Why the hell would Book not come back!? He has very little NFL potential.“

Were people missing something when they spouted off incessantly that he “sucked, should be benched, we’ll never win a big game w/ him, he’s a backup at best and that he’s a coward”? Not sure if you were one of them or not, but based on this post, I wouldn’t doubt it.

He's in the senior bowl, which typically is reserved for those considered to be highly draftable, legit NFL prospects worth the league's time to give close scrutiny to, with the real intent of looking to draft them.

It's not out of pity that Book got selected for it.

Yeah, I think Clark's a good athlete. I don't know if he'll be as talented or instinctive a scrambler as Book. Though Book's cautious/conservative style dovetails with his escapability, so it's sort of a perfect storm for someone who's a nice, quick athlete, a little shorter, and he can afford to take his time because he knows he can take off and run, it just plays off each other.

And so yes, I think Clark is considered a nimble athlete for a QB who was a rather prolific runner in HS. I'm guessing like Book he can be a threat carrying the ball.
4.7 40 for what it's worth. Over 700 yards rushing in high school.

I've never been high or low on him. Usually moderately high actually. I don't think looking at a sub 6"0 kid without a big arm not having much NFL potential as an attack, just an honest assessment. Tim Tebow couldn't make it in the NFL. Brady Quinn couldn't do it. Clausen wasn't very good. What on earth makes you think Ian Book could be? I think he's a perfect college quarterback. I'd rather have him than most pro style guys because he has the it thing for the college game. I like him and want him to come back. He will never play football again at a high level. He should say to himself, this is my last chance in life to do this. Why the heck not. Some people do not realize how insanely hard it is to even be a backup in the NFL. Most of the backups on NFL teams are incredibly gifted quarterbacks as good or better than anyone in college football right now. I'd also love to have our new kid watching and learning from Book for a year before he takes the field. If not, we are stuck with a substantially lesser talent in one of our current backups.

“I've never been high or low on him. Usually moderately high actually.“

This is laughable.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here are some of your past posts displaying your supposedly “high” opinion of him.

“Book is going to lose us this game. Defense and running game is saving his ass.“

“I think it’s very possible we are the third best team in the ACC. Especially with Book as the QB”

“Clemson is more talented than ND. Their backup is better than Book. This could still be a blowout”

“It’s okay to be a Kelly fan and also suggest he f’d up with Phil. It’s okay to criticize people you like. Jurk is better than Book and denying it is cognitive dissonance at its finest.”

These are just some tiny examples of your “high praise” of book just in the last couple weeks. And these are nothing compared to some of your past posts about him. Don’t try and peddle this nonsense that you think highly of book, it’s 100% BS and all we have to do to disprove it is to read any of your past posts on the subject.

Reactions: savvyandsassier
“Tim Tebow couldn't make it in the NFL.”

So what? What does Tebow not making it in the NFL have to do w/ book? They’re two totally different players. Tebow couldn’t throw for shit. I’m not saying book is an NFL qb, but that’s a dumb comparison. To say that he’ll never play football at a high level again is akin to saying that he’s a “backup at best”, “he sucks”, he “should be benched”, “he’s a coward”, and so on and so on. You don’t have a clue, neither do I. That’s why I don’t claim he’s gonna be a pro, but dismissing it is just more of the same ole same ole when it comes to some of you here when it comes to book. Don’t worry though, a bad series or two is bound to come and then you can go back to ripping him, or as you say, heaping high praise on him. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT