ADVERTISEMENT

Less is more (transfer portal QB)

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
There is way too much gimme that I want a QB now craze on this board and it's exactly that. C R A Z Y...

Everyone knows we're QB challenged and have been since Clausen...

BUT....

You will keep a position devoid of top talent firmly planted of not having top talent by grabbing QB's out the portal.

I'd much rather see us coach up what we have...
Angeli....Buchner...and work the recruiting trail the old fashioned way.

We desperately need to get back in the groove of a good QB cycle rotation.

Grabbing other school's table scraps is NOT the answer and ultimately does more damage long term. Kind of win today and lose tomorrow will be the pattern if we go the portal route.

Get a top QB recruit, develop the QB, win.
QB leaves, next player that has been developing in your system has their turn.

Rinse and repeat.

The Joe Burrows lightning in a bottle is a freak occurrence that sadly too many have hopes for. Unrealistic hopes.

The easy way out never works and if you want a program built...BUILT...you do it the old fashioned way.

There is way too much gimme that I want a QB now craze on this board and it's exactly that. C R A Z Y...

Everyone knows we're QB challenged and have been since Clausen...

BUT....

You will keep a position devoid of top talent firmly planted of not having top talent by grabbing QB's out the portal.

I'd much rather see us coach up what we have...
Angeli....Buchner...and work the recruiting trail the old fashioned way.

We desperately need to get back in the groove of a good QB cycle rotation.

Grabbing other school's table scraps is NOT the answer and ultimately does more damage long term. Kind of win today and lose tomorrow will be the pattern if we go the portal route.

Get a top QB recruit, develop the QB, win.
QB leaves, next player that has been developing in your system has their turn.

Rinse and repeat.

The Joe Burrows lightning in a bottle is a freak occurrence that sadly too many have hopes for. Unrealistic hopes.

The easy way out never works and if you want a program built...BUILT...you do it the old fashioned way.
I think we are in a time when the top QBs are not going to be content with the "next player that has been developing in your system has their turn". You are not getting a 5 Star every year or even every other year that is going to want to sit while the guy ahead of him plays for 2-3 years. Of course, we don't have that issue because we seldom get 5 Star QBs, but the days of having four relatively equal-quality QBs on your team is gone.

Reactions: Kelso86
We don’t have anybody proven enough. Even if Buchner reaches his potential he’s too injury prone to rely on. If we can get a proven qb we need to jump on it

The OP has a valid point. It is essential to recruit and develop elite quarterbacks in house. The Rent-a-Quarterback approach is not always going to work. Perhaps this year was the hangover from the year before.

Reactions: 88ND
Well it's definitely off to a poor start. It's a pretty shitty look, for holier than thou ND, good moral ND, to have managed to run off their starting QB, who was a totally decent player this year, and absolutely had a perfectly good year for us. And he was not the reason we missed the playoffs, or whatever our big goals were for this season.....

So it is not at all clear that or why we needed a transfer QB. And for a school that already finds it itself a bit behind the eight ball on account of our institutional inability to even accept undergrad transfers, when that is swiftly becoming the new normal in roster management, to find themselves losing the very credible starting QBs they already have on the roster.

Reactions: 88ND
I think the argument can go both ways. I'm not opposed to ND bringing a guy in, but let's not act like the guy they bring in is the solution to all their problems. For all we know, Buchner could easily beat out the new guy in spring and preseason. And if that happens, then it didn't make sense to bring in the new guy. But Buchner has serious health problems, so I'd err on the side of caution and bring in a transfer, especially since the other QBs have no experience.

Cam Newton, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Caleb Williams were all highly successful transfers....

Michael Pennix was really good this year. Wish we had him.

Reactions: Quest4Twelve
Comparison is the thief of joy, and ND Football has always compared itself to Michigan & USC. There is no way this school sits idly by as SC dominates them and Michigan competes for a Natty.

I think we are in a time when the top QBs are not going to be content with the "next player that has been developing in your system has their turn". You are not getting a 5 Star every year or even every other year that is going to want to sit while the guy ahead of him plays for 2-3 years. Of course, we don't have that issue because we seldom get 5 Star QBs, but the days of having four relatively equal-quality QBs on your team is gone.
I agree you can't fill the cupboard and take players just so another team can't have them....
And...

This me first tone is running rampant in cfb and not getting any better....

but...

if we keep getting a QB out of the portal we'll continue with the Coan and Pyne type QB etc of the world.

Serviceable but won't put you over the top.

That type of player needs recruited from high school and developed.

The star trek portal today can get you many things and even a serviceable QB as a time could arise that you're desperate for something just serviceable let alone a star. Perhaps an injury messes up the cycle. Maybe something else and the star trek portal can help as a stop gap...

That said if we want to contend with the top teams we need to recruit the position better. A lot better!!!

Times change. USC kicked our ass with a transfer QB.
And USC is playing for what?

If your bar is the USC game then you definitely were pissed BK left because he wasn't taking us over the top.

Reaching a little higher I'd hope you'd like to than just what happens in a game against SC

We don’t have anybody proven enough. Even if Buchner reaches his potential he’s too injury prone to rely on. If we can get a proven qb we need to jump on it
And the trend of "almost" will continue.

That's on the staff.

A good staff will develop the damn players that YOU RECRUITED.

A bad coach will take someone's table scraps and just go with it.

I love this ..." nobody has experience "...

Uuuhhh how in the hell does anyone get experience?

P
L
A
Y
I
N
G

At some point you actually have to play the player you recruited and oh my dear lord let them start cutting their teeth.
It's inevitable. 🙄

This year in the playoff...there is only one 5 star recruit and honestly he's the worst of the 4

JJ. Mccarthy
5 star
Non transfer

Stetson Bennett
3 star recruit
Non transfer
Looking to repeat as champion!
Imagine that....
An effing 3 star

Max Duggan
4 star
Non transfer
Guy could play for my team any day

C.J. Stroud
4 star
Non transfer

The point is you don't need to win the god damn Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes to compete at the top.

All the above do what their team needs them to do really well.
That's all it's about and sonething we desperately need to figure out.

With all do respect, I understand OP's point, however I will say that we are not in a position at the moment to rest on those laurels. I don't see any upside in Angeli or Buchner. Sorry, Buchner has not sold me and Angeli reminds me of a less exciting Evan Sharpley. I hope I'm wrong.

I think this year we need help from the portal. Hey, a portal QB still has to compete and earn the starting job. You bring guys in to compete and the winner will prevail. With our QB situation, a transfer likely comes in and starts next year.

With Minchey coming in this year, then Carr the next, we will finally have a quality QB stable to groom and continue to develop. The need for a portal QB is there this year more than any other year.

With all do respect, I understand OP's point, however I will say that we are not in a position at the moment to rest on those laurels. I don't see any upside in Angeli or Buchner. Sorry, Buchner has not sold me and Angeli reminds me of a less exciting Evan Sharpley. I hope I'm wrong.

I think this year we need help from the portal. Hey, a portal QB still has to compete and earn the starting job. You bring guys in to compete and the winner will prevail. With our QB situation, a transfer likely comes in and starts next year.

With Minchey coming in this year, then Carr the next, we will finally have a quality QB stable to groom and continue to develop. The need for a portal QB is there this year more than any other year.
You go down the portal road again it won't stop.

And nobody here has any idea how good Angeli is or isn't.
How he reminds you of anyone aside from someone who never played is beyond me.

Reactions: Kelso86
We need a portal. We need Bowen. We need Dasan McCullough. We need to develop what we have. If freeman can’t get that done he’s not moving a needle. We will see.

ADVERTISEMENT