ADVERTISEMENT

Late Signing Day Wednesday

No it's not. You need to know how a player fits into your lockerroom, into your culture, into the schools culture.

I never said anything about what is easier to identify ability. Thats college.

I specifically said culture and fit
You learn about that by asking his HS coaches and players who have played with him. Some of the kids who transfer were recruited in High School by the school they transfer to. Many are known by players on the team through HS games, camps and summer league. The idea that coaches spend tons of time at a recruit's home simply isn't true. They call and email, have a home visit and see the kid on campus visits. The rest of the information they get from kids they get from others who know him. They don't (other than Harbaugh) have sleep overs or go the movies together.

The fact that a recruiting process takes months doesn't mean a coach spends months with a player.

You learn about that by asking his HS coaches and players who have played with him. Some of the kids who transfer were recruited in High School by the school they transfer to. Many are known by players on the team through HS games, camps and summer league. The idea that coaches spend tons of time at a recruit's home simply isn't true. They call and email, have a home visit and see the kid on campus visits. The rest of the information they get from kids they get from others who know him. They don't (other than Harbaugh) have sleep overs or go the movies together.

The fact that a recruiting process takes months doesn't mean a coach spends months with a player.
They know the player in recruiting far more than they'll know a college player

I don't know how any ND fan could be happy with this class right now

ND is down to 10th in the recruiting rankings with 5 other programs biting at their heels.

MF was supposed to be the guy who brought in the high end talent despite being really green as a coach.

Now we have a really green coach and he's not even moving the needle on the talent side of the equation either.

This is a Brian Kelly esque recruiting class but without Brian Kelly here to coach them up. SIGH

Not a good sign at all
Let’s Go Irish!!!!!

rankings are neat, but it is impact players that determine the quality of a class. only 40-45% of a class makes a contribution, so except for a few surprises, it is usually apparent who is who in a class. Both ND and SC will be relegated to the category of pretender contender the way recruiting is being dominated by the SEC and B1G. Patience, what goes round comes round.

Yes guys you get from the portal make a huge difference, as I said. Why is it hard to sustain? You get guys for a shorter window but they come with experience. For example, SC picked up a first team all Big-Ten and Second team all SEC player from the portal this year.
Look no further than the Yankees to understand why a team full of highly paid and talented free agents does not equal instant success. Winning a championship requires digging deep, keeping the faith and trusting your teammates that you sweated with to overcome the bad break that will inevitably come and pulling out the win. Many transfers by definition just don’t have that resolve. Addison was a special player during a special season at Pitt. He was a rent a receiver at SC who was on and off the field and just not that special even as his team was chasing a playoff bid.

They won't have enough information on a week or two in cer

Look no further than the Yankees to understand why a team full of highly paid and talented free agents does not equal instant success. Winning a championship requires digging deep, keeping the faith and trusting your teammates that you sweated with to overcome the bad break that will inevitably come and pulling out the win. Many transfers by definition just don’t have that resolve. Addison was a special player during a special season at Pitt. He was a rent a receiver at SC who was on and off the field and just not that special even as his team was chasing a playoff bid.
The Yankees? You mean the most success franchise in baseball history by a wide margin Yankees?. That is your failure example. Addison? You mean the first team apll pac-12, semifinalists for the 2022 Fred Biletnikoff Award who was named the most impactful WR transfer, even though playing hurt wasn’t special? I think the NFL draft will disagree. He is your example of the failures of transferring? I must admit I admire your standards.

And just why do you think that transfers don't have the abilty engage in, " digging deep, keeping the faith and trusting your teammates that you sweated with to overcome the bad break that will inevitably come and pulling out the win." Did Caleb Williams not have those qualities? Travis Dye, no? How about your "rented" Wake Forest QB, lazy piker is he by your standards? Please also let me know why High Schools have more of these attributes even though they have no experience on what it means to dig deep against the college level of competition.

High School recruiting is guessing who can succeed at the next level. Transfers are about finding players who have proved they can.

The Yankees? You mean the most success franchise in baseball history by a wide margin Yankees?. That is your failure example. Addison? You mean the first team apll pac-12, semifinalists for the 2022 Fred Biletnikoff Award who was named the most impactful WR transfer, even though playing hurt wasn’t special? I think the NFL draft will disagree. He is your example of the failures of transferring? I must admit I admire your standards.

And just why do you think that transfers don't have the abilty engage in, " digging deep, keeping the faith and trusting your teammates that you sweated with to overcome the bad break that will inevitably come and pulling out the win." Did Caleb Williams not have those qualities? Travis Dye, no? How about your "rented" Wake Forest QB, lazy piker is he by your standards? Please also let me know why High Schools have more of these attributes even though they have no experience on what it means to dig deep against the college level of competition.

High School recruiting is guessing who can succeed at the next level. Transfers are about finding players who have proved they can.
Lifelong Yankees fan here. Most of their championships came before free agency when they couldn’t just outspend everyone and they haven’t won since 2009 despite having incredible talent … the homegrown Yankees under Torre and assembled by Gene Michael dominated baseball and the free agent all star squads assembled by Cashman haven’t managed to win … it’s not that hard to understand a group of all star free agents isn’t a team. Addison at USC was not Addison at Pitt, and he’s gone now. USC losses were shootouts where quite frankly a team with less talent but more heart outlasted them. Filling a roster with free agent “student athletes” and winning will be harder than it sounds. Succesful programs are going to plug holes not fill rosters with transfers. Leadership is going to come from the kids who actually attended the school for a couple of years

“it’s not that hard to understand a group of all star free agents isn’t a team….”

well reasoned, and this poster agrees

Lifelong Yankees fan here. Most of their championships came before free agency when they couldn’t just outspend everyone and they haven’t won since 2009 despite having incredible talent … the homegrown Yankees under Torre and assembled by Gene Michael dominated baseball and the free agent all star squads assembled by Cashman haven’t managed to win … it’s not that hard to understand a group of all star free agents isn’t a team. Addison at USC was not Addison at Pitt, and he’s gone now. USC losses were shootouts where quite frankly a team with less talent but more heart outlasted them. Filling a roster with free agent “student athletes” and winning will be harder than it sounds. Succesful programs are going to plug holes not fill rosters with transfers. Leadership is going to come from the kids who actually attended the school for a couple of years

Everyone has the right to his opinion, but this is utter nonsense. Off the top of my head, I can think of free agents, CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira, AJ Burnett, Jason Giambi, David Cone, Hideki Matsui, Gerrit Cole, Dave Winfield, Catfish Hunter and Reggie Jackson. These guys didn’t help the Yankees win? They would have been better off without them? Did Gronk and Brady help Tampa Bay? Labron and Bosh helpful in Miami? What doesn’t work is bringing in talented guys without drive and a commitment to team like Westbrook, Irving or Harden.

The USC team culture was led by transfers. Caleb Williams and Shane Na were elected captains by the -players. Travis Dye was conceded by the coaches, players and media to have the best attitude on the team. Mario Williams and Rice kept five star recruit Kyle Ford off the field by their willingness to block downfield and play hurt. The reason SC lost was because of a poor defense and it would have been worse if a transfer wasn’t one of the nation’s leaders in interceptions.

USC loses were caused by lack of heart? SC lost to a total of two teams in 2022. One of which was ranked nineth in the final AP poll, the other tenth. You are saying that SC came back from 14-0 against UCLA and beat ND because they had less heart than SC? Interesting position to take.

“Leadership is going to come from the kids who actually attended the school for a couple of years.” Not true at all. Leadership comes from character. It can be developed but it isn’t magically conveyed by time. Your claim would be that Shane Na who developed and played under Saban and Caleb Williams was known as a leader at Oklahoma after beating out five-star, number one QB recruit Spencer Rattler, lost their leadership skills when they transferred? And just why is it that a coach can define a player's character better when judging one who has never played college ball.

Look I understand that ND had an excellent tenth ranked recruit class but was only ranked thirty-third in portal rankings so you would feel better about diminishing it. But there is really nothing to support your view.

Everyone has the right to his opinion, but this is utter nonsense. Off the top of my head, I can think of free agents, CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira, AJ Burnett, Jason Giambi, David Cone, Hideki Matsui, Gerrit Cole, Dave Winfield, Catfish Hunter and Reggie Jackson. These guys didn’t help the Yankees win? They would have been better off without them? Did Gronk and Brady help Tampa Bay? Labron and Bosh helpful in Miami? What doesn’t work is bringing in talented guys without drive and a commitment to team like Westbrook, Irving or Harden.

The USC team culture was led by transfers. Caleb Williams and Shane Na were elected captains by the -players. Travis Dye was conceded by the coaches, players and media to have the best attitude on the team. Mario Williams and Rice kept five star recruit Kyle Ford off the field by their willingness to block downfield and play hurt. The reason SC lost was because of a poor defense and it would have been worse if a transfer wasn’t one of the nation’s leaders in interceptions.

USC loses were caused by lack of heart? SC lost to a total of two teams in 2022. One of which was ranked nineth in the final AP poll, the other tenth. You are saying that SC came back from 14-0 against UCLA and beat ND because they had less heart than SC? Interesting position to take.

“Leadership is going to come from the kids who actually attended the school for a couple of years.” Not true at all. Leadership comes from character. It can be developed but it isn’t magically conveyed by time. Your claim would be that Shane Na who developed and played under Saban and Caleb Williams was known as a leader at Oklahoma after beating out five-star, number one QB recruit Spencer Rattler, lost their leadership skills when they transferred? And just why is it that a coach can define a player's character better when judging one who has never played college ball.

Look I understand that ND had an excellent tenth ranked recruit class but was only ranked thirty-third in portal rankings so you would feel better about diminishing it. But there is really nothing to support your view.
You are normally better than the name calling crowd around here … calling my post “utter nonsense” … nothing left to discuss then really. Go Irish.

Reactions: Golson5
we talking football or baseball? baseball is or has been an individual sport for some time now.

ADVERTISEMENT