ADVERTISEMENT

Lacey transferring

This is the stuff that really bugs me. The portal. NIL, all of these new introductions with little to no rules/ramifications are poison. Where are we going as a society? This quitting mid season and moving on. What kind of character are we promoting for our future generations? "Hey let's dump 29 players and go in the portal" "hey I'm playing but not enough, I'm going to dump my team and go get mine." I absolutely refuse to have any respect for this guy for doing this. Not finishing the year. It's a quitter and a traitor IMO. One thing to leave end of year. But he's quitting on his team 1/3 of the way in.
agreed. Makes no sense to prepare all off season, get 4 games in, have arguably one of your best games to things are looking up, then quit and look for another team to play for and watch the rest of the college football season from your dorm room.....strange.

He left his teams before their seasons were over. When he didn't need to.

Yes, other coaches do that as well; but that doesn't make it okay.
Because of recruiting deadlines, new hires are made after the regular season ends. Thought you’d know that already.

agreed. Makes no sense to prepare all off season, get 4 games in, have arguably one of your best games to things are looking up, then quit and look for another team to play for and watch the rest of the college football season from your dorm room.....strange.
You all are complete buffoons. He's looking to preserve a redshirt year. He played in 11 games in his previous 3 years at ND. This gives him another year to play somewhere else. He did what he felt was right for him.

The portal giveth, and the portal taketh away. Although in ND’s case, there may turn out to be a lot more GIVING than TAKING. Besides, how good a deal is it when at least HALF of your GETS so far are from Northwestern, Harvard and the Naval Academy. Katy, bar the door! There are HUNS here!

But like it or not, this sort of thing is now SOP. And you have to wonder if it might not become even more of A THING than it already is. The more players do it, the more other players may do it. I mean, we ARE talking about young males without fully developed PREFRONTAL CORTEXES.

What it says to me, though, is that MONETIZATION and MARKET VALUES have fully PENETRATED CFB. The ultimate aim of the market model is PERSONAL GAIN. Without their being COUNTERVAILING REGULATION of some kind, all other values are DRIVEN OUT as in Gresham’s Law of debased money.

But here’s the kicker. Once the REWARDS INCENTIVES have been structured in such a way that great gains are IN THEORY achievable – and in some cases, ACTUALLY achievable – what player intent on playing in the NFL is going to pass at a shot at the BRASS RING?

If I can increase my playing time somewhere and therefore improve my draft stock am I not a fool not to try? I fully agree with you that the SPIRIT OF THE GAME has been WHOLLY CORRUPTED, but that’s what happens once money becomes the SOLE DETERMINANT in how people behave.

When they give you a chip, YOU PLAY IT.

And this is just the BEGINNING. What’s already happened was INEVITABLE given the game’s recent TRAJECTORY and may very well be IRREVERSIBLE. There are folks on both the LEFT and the RIGHT who seek greater PLAYER EMPOWERMENT and/or STAKEHOLDER STATUS AND PROTECTIONS.

We’ll see how it plays out. One thing I feel is certain, though. Whatever is decided, NO ONE will be looking to COUGH UP A DIME. And TEAM IS NO LONGER THE THING. It’s instead about the players as self-interested ECONOMIC ENTITIES. And the only destiny they care about is THEIRS.

As they used to say each morning at Salomon Brothers – LET’S MAKE SOME F*****G MONEY!

(No, I didn’t work there, but they WERE a client.)
Anyone have an Advil?

Reactions: sluggo69
You all are complete buffoons. He's looking to preserve a redshirt year. He played in 11 games in his previous 3 years at ND. This gives him another year to play somewhere else. He did what he felt was right for him.
You really should stop talking about yourself on here.

He wants to play 6 seasons. And start somewhere. He will.

Football players, those that play for the love of the game, do not consider the sidelines as being in the game. Some kids want to actually play; even those who do not have professional aspiration. Good luck to the kid!

Can the program survive?
The program will survive regardless what ever happens. Even 0 and 12. But do you want to be a better team or a lesser team? The more good players you have the odds of you being a good team goes up. Everytime we lose someone you or that tool pennick say the same thing. It's moronic

Reactions: Kelso86
That's fine. That rule implies you finish the year but don't play in more than 4 games. My point is how can you quit and still use it as a redshirt? To me, if you quit. No redshirt. No more scholarship either.
"That rule implies you finish the year but don't play in more than 4 games."

TomAto, tomato -- he played in his 4 game allowed -- if he just stands on the sidelines the rest of the year and does nothing, what does that accomplish? If he does not want to play any more the rest of the year, why practice and run the risk of getting hurt? I get the "quitting on your teammates" and all of that -- but, this is a different generation.
If he does not want to play anymore, that is his call. Ket him move on and rally around who we have here.

How does it hurt for next year? Lacey has 1 year of eligibility left. If he plays in more than 4 games this year he's done.
No, because of the free Covid year, he has an additional year. So he'll be able to play for his new team for 2 years, if he wants.

No, because of the free Covid year, he has an additional year. So he'll be able to play for his new team for 2 years, if he wants.
more reason for him to transfer. He can’t play football forever.

I'm thinking this has a lot to do with expectations of Rubio... For our sake this hopefully means that lacey would be passed on the depth chart.
Depth....he wouldve been at worst our number 3 behind Cross and Rubio. Thats valuable

I don't see many taking advantage of that.

How? only have 4 years of eligibility, he's burned 3 at ND, leaving one year remaining.
2019 - year 1
2020 - doesnt count covid
2021 - year 2
2022 - redshirt
2023 - year 3
2024 - year 4

He has 2 years left

I don't see many taking advantage of that.
well, they do have to carry credit classes, right? and if they are not pro prospects, they might as well play college football! the economy is going down the crapper! the players get board and meals, right?

2019 - year 1
2020 - doesnt count covid
2021 - year 2
2022 - redshirt
2023 - year 3
2024 - year 4

He has 2 years left
forgot about the covid year. Again, not many have leveraged the covid year.

Depth....he wouldve been at worst our number 3 behind Cross and Rubio. Thats valuable
Onye too... I think he saw that he'd be a role player at best. He can go somewhere lower tier and star.

^ fans are selfish
I don’t think fans are selfish. He made a commitment to his teammates and he bailed on them. I have no problem with him wanting to transfer but do it either before the season or after the season. To quit in the middle of the season is selfish on his part.

Reactions: NDblitz
I don’t think fans are selfish. He made a commitment to his teammates and he bailed on them. I have no problem with him wanting to transfer but do it either before the season or after the season. To quit in the middle of the season is selfish on his part.
his teammates probably are supportive of him; next?

Reactions: ohio1980
The kid wants to play in the NFL. He thinks transferring will make that more likely.

Now, if you think schools should have the right to keep players from transferring, then you should support unionization. That would bring collective bargaining and rules for contracts etc.

GettyImages-1236767022-e1655149603460.jpg
If he can’t play at ogre Dane how is he going to play in the NFL ?

You don’t need to unionize in order to enter into a contract.

Unionizing would only hasten the demise of college football.

Nah. As long as coaches can leave before the end of the season, players should be able to as well.

brian-kelly-p1jpg.jpg
Coaches don’t leave prior to the end of the regular season unless they’re fired or resign, usually for medical/personal reasons

ADVERTISEMENT