ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Fields

savvyandsassier

All Star
Dec 16, 2013
So, supposedly he's going to drop in the draft. He seems like an elite prospect on paper so I don't know what the deal is, if there even is one. Maybe he still goes top five, but scuttlebutt has him possibly dropping out of the top ten. Mac Jones, as anyone who's following this year's draft is up to #3 overall, behind TL and Wilson from BYU.

So all I wanted to add was my thought that there is something about Justin Fields that doesn't quite do it for me. Just from a lifelong layman fan's perspective. I don't know what scouts and professional football people might be thinking, but for me there's something about his delivery, perhaps, that's somehow off, it's too wobbly or something. I don't know if I know what I'm talking about, I can't scout football players to that fine of a nicety. But there was always something about him for such a phenom type player that gave me a bit of pause. And maybe his delivery and mechanics are just a little.... not compact enough or something. It's just an instinctive feeling when watching him and tOSU play. Then again I feel that declaring TL some sort of once in a lifetime 'generational' talent to be quite overblown as well. And when I say his delivery, maybe that's not it at all. But there's something not quite right, at least for such a totally elite guy as he has always been considered.

So... just wanted to make a thread about that. Oh, and this thread has nothing to do with Ian Book. So he does not need to be brought up, and let this lone apophasis be the only time.

He has Epilepsy, which I’m sure is scaring some teams away.

I have to wonder if poor NFL QB performance from past Buckeye QB’s (Haskins, Barrett, Jones, Miller, Pryor) shit even Smith) is in the back of some GM and coaches minds.

He has Epilepsy, which I’m sure is scaring some teams away.

I have to wonder if poor NFL QB performance from past Buckeye QB’s (Haskins, Barrett, Jones, Miller, Pryor) shit even Smith) is in the back of some GM and coaches minds.

Oh shit, that's right.... I remember hearing something like that. That isn't ideal, I suppose, for a top, top draft pick. No offense.

Maybe it's just pre-draft posturing and he's not going to drop at all. Here's another scouting video for the peeps to enjoy, courtesy of former Rivals 5-star recruit and USC flameout Max Browne. I didn't watch the whole thing, but he seems to possibly question JF's mental traits, and 'processing' abilities, which puts him in Ian Book's boat, even though I said wasn't going to mention him I just did.

Anyway, no one's talking about the draft at all. ND stands to have like, 8 or 9 nine guys drafted, let's get some chatter going!

Reactions: Kelso86
Neither Alabama nor OSU have had any top NFL QBs for a very long time. Actually I am not aware of any OSU QBs being all that great in the NFL.

Bluntly speaking having epilepsy would make me think twice about him.

True enough for Bama and tOSU. Bama to be fair was not built around the QB position for most of the Saban years. And let's not write Tua off just yet.

In any case it's not hurting Mac Jones as he's shooting up the charts while JF falls. I guess being politically correct, or common courtesy or whatever, no one is mentioning the epilepsy and they're not putting it front and center as the main reason why JF may be dropping, if indeed he does drop out of the top ten. At least not the tidbits I've looked at.

Though if you google it, it's right there, he does have epilepsy. And that's gotta be the reason now that we're talking about it. Mystery solved....

Perhaps it was his recent admission that he has epileptic seizures? I'm quite sure someone will take him within the first two rounds. I mean he only threw six TD's against Clemson. That's six times more than Ian had in three games Clemson lol.

Alabama out talented people for 5-7 years and didn't need a game changing QB. Clemson and OSU caught up by having Game changing college QBs. Saban adapted, and now has game changing college QBs.

Mac Jones was never supposed to start at Bama, but he did, and their offense was insanely loaded. Possibly top two wrs, top RB, and a few of the best olinemen.

It will take a dynamic running and throwing QB for ND to compete to win it all. I think Coan is a nice player, possibly slight upgrade from book but probably not enough to be a top team without our WRs exploding (austin, johnson, lenzy, keys hitting potential), and oline really gelling.

Neither Alabama nor OSU have had any top NFL QBs for a very long time. Actually I am not aware of any OSU QBs being all that great in the NFL.

Bluntly speaking having epilepsy would make me think twice about him.
The epilepsy is a non issue

Oh shit, that's right.... I remember hearing something like that. That isn't ideal, I suppose, for a top, top draft pick. No offense.

Maybe it's just pre-draft posturing and he's not going to drop at all. Here's another scouting video for the peeps to enjoy, courtesy of former Rivals 5-star recruit and USC flameout Max Browne. I didn't watch the whole thing, but he seems to possibly question JF's mental traits, and 'processing' abilities, which puts him in Ian Book's boat, even though I said wasn't going to mention him I just did.

Anyway, no one's talking about the draft at all. ND stands to have like, 8 or 9 nine guys drafted, let's get some chatter going!

You can't help yourself bringing Book up

If I'm the Jets I would draft Fields. Not sure if he is better that Zach Wilson but I'm sure he is better then Mac Jones or Trey Lance.

So, supposedly he's going to drop in the draft. He seems like an elite prospect on paper so I don't know what the deal is, if there even is one. Maybe he still goes top five, but scuttlebutt has him possibly dropping out of the top ten. Mac Jones, as anyone who's following this year's draft is up to #3 overall, behind TL and Wilson from BYU.

So all I wanted to add was my thought that there is something about Justin Fields that doesn't quite do it for me. Just from a lifelong layman fan's perspective. I don't know what scouts and professional football people might be thinking, but for me there's something about his delivery, perhaps, that's somehow off, it's too wobbly or something. I don't know if I know what I'm talking about, I can't scout football players to that fine of a nicety. But there was always something about him for such a phenom type player that gave me a bit of pause. And maybe his delivery and mechanics are just a little.... not compact enough or something. It's just an instinctive feeling when watching him and tOSU play. Then again I feel that declaring TL some sort of once in a lifetime 'generational' talent to be quite overblown as well. And when I say his delivery, maybe that's not it at all. But there's something not quite right, at least for such a totally elite guy as he has always been considered.

So... just wanted to make a thread about that. Oh, and this thread has nothing to do with Ian Book. So he does not need to be brought up, and let this lone apophasis be the only time.
There are 4 issues with Fields.

1. Durability
2. Consistency
3. The Haskins et. al factor at OSU.
4. Processing what he sees.

His performance against Northwestern in the 2020 BIG Championship game was awful and hurt him more than the Clemson game helped him. Had NU had even an average Power 5 offense, the Bucks lose that game. By contrast, Rashawn Slater's 2019 performance against Chase Young and the Bucks took him to a top 10 1st round grade. One game against top competition can be very influential when you're grading projected 1st rounders.

I would be most concerned about the processing issues. It seems to be a DNA issue among QBs. Former all everything 5 star Hunter Johnson has every physical tool and passing talent you could ever hope for. Super smart too. Watch him in practice/drills and you're in awe. He makes it all look easy. But he's 3rd string among average at best NU QBs because he still can't process worth a damn when it counts.

Fields could still go high. His character, athletic ability and accuracy are off the charts. He's also a really smart kid. On the other hand, the success rate among 1st round QBs, even those taken very high, is really bad. So going high won't tell us anything other than a team was willing to take a chance with him to fill the most demanding position in sport.

GOUNUII

• Haha
Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I have to admit that I do not get it. https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/2021-04-San-Francisco-49ers-NFL-Draft-live-blog-16129937.php

Mac Jones strikes me as a guy that was blessed with a clearly superior supporting cast that he will not get in the pros. Trey Lance has never been challenged. I can't believe a team would trade 3 1st round picks to move up to draft either. I assume the NFL teams have known for a long time that Fields has epilepsy.

Equally baffling to me is Weis's comment that he likes Mac Jones as the best QB.

If Justin Fields is truly falling, I bet some team trades up to get him.

Alabama out talented people for 5-7 years and didn't need a game changing QB. Clemson and OSU caught up by having Game changing college QBs. Saban adapted, and now has game changing college QBs.

Mac Jones was never supposed to start at Bama, but he did, and their offense was insanely loaded. Possibly top two wrs, top RB, and a few of the best olinemen.

It will take a dynamic running and throwing QB for ND to compete to win it all. I think Coan is a nice player, possibly slight upgrade from book but probably not enough to be a top team without our WRs exploding (austin, johnson, lenzy, keys hitting potential), and oline really gelling.
In my sophistimicated system, college players are liabilities, role-players, or weapons. In the BK era only Deshawn Kizer was a weapon.

He played in 4 tough games this year and wasn't very good in 3 of them.

3 INT's vs IU , Poor vs NW and Bama-----excellent vs Clemson------guys see that.

To be fair he may have been nicked vs Bama .

• Haha
He played in 4 tough games this year and wasn't very good in 3 of them.

3 INT's vs IU , Poor vs NW and Bama-----excellent vs Clemson------guys see that.

To be fair he may have been nicked vs Bama .
He has a long ways to go to be a consistent starting NFL QB that's any good, but he has the potential. He's far from a plug and play.

The epilepsy is a non issue

Have to totally agree! Like any QB about to get drafted, it is all about fit -- if he gets into the right organization, and is allowed to develop and grow for a year, he will be fine. If he is thrown to the wolves, he will struggle early.

He is talented, and has an arm. He will be a fine pro

Now that is horsecrap. Now maybe no one will admit it but it has to be.

"Now maybe no one will admit it but it has to be"

Has not been an issue for him athletically. even in the media driven town of Columbus, where they dive in to all aspects of a players lives, no one knew about this (maybe the coaches) -- no one needed to know. His effort on the field speaks for itself. He takes care of his body, and has his medication.

1. Durability
2. Consistency

His performance against Northwestern in the 2020 BIG Championship game was awful and hurt him more than the Clemson game helped him. Had NU had even an average Power 5 offense, the Bucks lose that game. By contrast, Rashawn Slater's 2019 performance against Chase Young and the Bucks took him to a top 10 1st round grade. One game against top competition can be very influential when you're grading projected 1st rounders.

I would be most concerned about the processing issues. It seems to be a DNA issue among QBs. Former all everything 5 star Hunter Johnson has every physical tool and passing talent you could ever hope for. Super smart too. Watch him in practice/drills and you're in awe. He makes it all look easy. But he's 3rd string among average at best NU QBs because he still can't process worth a damn when it counts.

Fields could still go high. His character, athletic ability and accuracy are off the charts. He's also a really smart kid. On the other hand, the success rate among 1st round QBs, even those taken very high, is really bad. So going high won't tell us anything other than a team was willing to take a chance with him to fill the most demanding position in sport.

GOUNUII
Your #2 is my #1 with him. Consistency. He looked like the best of all time v Clemson, then mediocre against Bama on a huge stage.

• Haha
Max Kellermans "hot take" on BSPN attributed his potential fall in the draft to race. Apprently Max has forgot a few things?

1. 4 highest paid QBs in the league are black.
2. Vick, Newton, J Russell, WInston and K Murray were taken #1 Overall in the NFL draft this century.
3. Aaron Rodgers dropped to the botton of the 1st round. And Tom Brady was drafted what round? Oh 6th...

1. Durability
2. Consistency

GOUNUII
How about work ethic?

• Haha
Max Kellermans "hot take" on BSPN attributed his potential fall in the draft to race. Apprently Max has forgot a few things?

2. Vick, Newton, J Russell, WInston and K Murray were taken #1 Overall in the NFL draft this century.
3. Aaron Rodgers dropped to the botton of the 1st round. And Tom Brady was drafted what round? Oh 6th...

Max Kellerman is a poor mans Howard Stern (shock jock). This is the guy who said the Fighting Irish is an offensive nickname and mascot.

If fields is being profiled it’s not because of his race but the poor performance of prior Ohio State QB’s in the NFL going all the way back to Art Schlichter. Not saying that’s a fair comparison but who is the most successful OSU QB Kent Graham? Who transferred from Notre Dame.

Last edited:
I always felt that if you were an NFL QB, you have to be pretty darn good. That's all QB's from Tom Brady to the QB holding the clipboard. With that said, I think assuming NFL QB's already possess the physical tools, the two most important assets are being able to read defenses and how quickly you process that information and deliver the throw. Elite QB's like Brady, Manning , Rogers and others have the ability to read and understand what they are seeing and make their throws quickly, most of the time. Some QB's are good at that and others not so good. Again, all have the physical tools. So as this relates to JF, he obviously has all the ability to play the QB position. Are scouts seeing something like an inability to see the field or a lack of understanding opposing defenses ? I have no idea. Maybe it's accuracy or delivery. I guess we will see draft day how it plays out.

Reactions: echowaker
That's why QB is considered the toughest position in all of sports, because of the unique or uniquely challenging mental demands, play after play, that are built into the basic DNA of the position. And that's why Mac Jones is rising up draft boards, because he's supposedly strong in those areas and good at making reads quickly and effectively, and processing....

Having great arm talent and other physical tools helps a lot, but how well you 'process', is probably the defining trait of the position. See Tom Brady.

If you watch the video I provided, and can spare five or ten minutes, Max Browne goes over a few examples where JF appears to be struggling to make the proper reads and his decision making could be questionable. And I want to reiterate my own gut feeling that it feels like there could be something lacking there. I don't know what exactly, but something. At least for such a top prospect.

Reactions: tkirish
"Now maybe no one will admit it but it has to be"

Has not been an issue for him athletically. even in the media driven town of Columbus, where they dive in to all aspects of a players lives, no one knew about this (maybe the coaches) -- no one needed to know. His effort on the field speaks for itself. He takes care of his body, and has his medication.
The NFL is a whole different story. When you are going to spend tens of millions and put the fate of your team in someones hands EVERYTHING is considered. Only an idiot would think otherwise.

This is from a poster on another site paraphrasing Bill Polian. This was his hierarchy of analyzing QBs.:

(1) Arm strength: this does not mean he was looking for the guy with the strongest arm. Just that the prospect's arm has to be strong enough to make all the throws needed in the NFL.

(2) Accuracy and ball placement: this is the #1 reason why a guy fails at the quarterback position in the NFL. However, this is why a guy like Joe Montana succeeded despite not having an overly powerful arm - he was outstanding with his accuracy and ball placement.

(3) Play processing speed: the ability to quickly read the defense, make the correct decision where the ball is to go and then quickly delivering the ball.

(4) Quick release in the throwing motion: how fast the prospect can deliver the ball once he decides to make the throw.

The NFL is a whole different story. When you are going to spend tens of millions and put the fate of your team in someones hands EVERYTHING is considered. Only an idiot would think otherwise.
Everything is considered but everything is also weighed differently. This isnt a big issue and hasnt been since hes been pkaying with it since he was young

You are right -- the NFL is a different animal. And yes, when you are investing millions, you not only look at all data points, you also speak to people who have been around him -- coaches, medical people. People who know him and then make your best judgement.

The fate of team -- that is a crap shoot each and every time. For every Peyton Manning, there is a Kijana Carter. There are many guys who come into the league with clean bills of health -- then get injured early in the season and never materialize -- for the team that drafted them or any one after.

So, while his medical will be considered, his athletic ability will also be considered. How he has managed the condition his whole life will be considered, the pros and cons of playing with it as well. In the end, he wil get drafted very high and once the draft is over, it will be a non - issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golson5

Someone bought up the race card 2021. No way!

Reactions: Golson5
Don't the best NFL qbs come from NorCal teams that went .500?

Well, he did drop a little bit. Out of the top ten, and certainly the top two or three. Still beat out Mac Jones, though, who did NOT go #3 overall.

Good landing spot. He has skill players to work with. He is much better off than where Wilson landed except for bucks. SF would have been a better landing spot. I do not get trading up for Trey Lance.

Jones had a great landing spot as well.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Good landing spot. He has skill players to work with. He is much better off than where Wilson landed except for bucks. SF would have been a better landing spot. I do not get trading up for Trey Lance.

Jones had a great landing spot as well.
Lance has a ton of ability

ADVERTISEMENT