ADVERTISEMENT

Jurcovich

I worked with a close family friend ... said Phil wanted to play at ND since he was a young boy. While none of us see practice it seemed he never got a chance even in mop up time to show any of his skills. I would have liked to see him get a few series with the 1s in games.

Several on this board made the ludicrous claim that PJ couldn’t spin the ball in defense of BK not giving him an opportunity.
17-23, 300, 2 TD, 1 INT 203.5 QBR. Not bad considering he has no where near the talent he had at ND

Several on this board made the ludicrous claim that PJ couldn’t spin the ball in defense of BK not giving him an opportunity.
17-23, 300, 2 TD, 1 INT 203.5 QBR. Not bad considering he has no where near the talent he had at ND
Nice first game.

Reactions: d1042
He reminds me of Kent Graham.

He had chances at ND. He simply wasn’t good. Bad fit, both ways. ND top 10 in the country, BC will be BC. Move on.

He had chances at ND. He simply wasn’t good. Bad fit, both ways. ND top 10 in the country, BC will be BC. Move on.
He never played at ND except to hand the ball off or run with it behind the 2nd team line in mop up time. Unless you were at practice I think you know what the rest of us know, which is not too much. I wish him well ... he didn’t see an opening so he left to try his luck somewhere else. D1 QB is sometimes about getting coaching love. I know family of major D1 starting QB and the internal politics don’t sound easy.

He never played at ND except to hand the ball off or run with it behind the 2nd team line in mop up time. Unless you were at practice I think you know what the rest of us know, which is not too much. I wish him well ... he didn’t see an opening so he left to try his luck somewhere else. D1 QB is sometimes about getting coaching love. I know family of major D1 starting QB and the internal politics don’t sound easy.
Reasonable and well said.

I’ll add: none of us were in the locker room, meeting rooms, practice field. We’ve seen less than 1% of What went on. Clearly, for whatever reason, the coaches didn’t feel like Phil met expectations to be the starter.

BK’s recent history speaks volumes. I’ll opt to trust BK and staff.

Also- Book has flat out won a TON of games. That’s all I need to know....

Reasonable and well said.

I’ll add: none of us were in the locker room, meeting rooms, practice field. We’ve seen less than 1% of What went on. Clearly, for whatever reason, the coaches didn’t feel like Phil met expectations to be the starter.

BK’s recent history speaks volumes. I’ll opt to trust BK and staff.

Also- Book has flat out won a TON of games. That’s all I need to know....

BK’s recent history speaks volumes? He’sscrewed the pooch on the QB position since he’s been here. To some this may be his only flaw, but it’s a big one!

BK’s recent history speaks volumes? He’sscrewed the pooch on the QB position since he’s been here. To some this may be his only flaw, but it’s a big one!
ND is clearly a Top 10 program right now. I’ll take those results. You can dissect and whine about the QB situation all you want.
We have a 5th year guy playing and he’s won a ton of games. I hope he’s back next season.

If he had stayed, and not transferred, maybe he beats Book out. It was his decision to transfer. He turned his own back on his childhood dream school.

Any suggestion contrary to that, that he was somehow betrayed by BK or Ian Book in some fashion, is psycho hater talk - full effing stop. In any case anyone was wondering, in case any backstabbing hater fans were wondering and planning on getting all conspiracy-theory about it, which I'm sure will happen. There was no basis whatsoever for him to beat out Book a year ago - and then he transferred. And that's where his story at ND ended.

So I wish PJ the best, BC was definitely an auspicious place for him to transfer to, and it looks like he's taking advantage of it.

ND is clearly a Top 10 program right now. I’ll take those results. You can dissect and whine about the QB situation all you want.
We have a 5th year guy playing and he’s won a ton of games. I hope he’s back next season.

I used to get excited about the start to the season, only to be let down. Not let down by the losses, but how they lost. Always that one wtf game. So now I’ve been taking a more tempered approach in recent years due to the melt down games. I’ve got two games that will make or break this season, UNC and Clemson. Realistically, I’d be happy if ND splits these two games, but is competitive in them.

Last edited:

I don't even know if he was a bad fit at all. He just didn't beat out Ian Book - and that's it! He was 2nd string, and he didn't beat out the 1st-string starter - AS THERE WOULD BE NO REASON for him to put supplant Ian Book at that juncture, as of last year. He was a RS frosh, and the starter who was someone who had just taken us to the playoff, and was doing just fine in his 2nd year. And it just wasn't in the cards - very, very obviously - that he wasn't taking Ian Book's job as of last year.

If he stays, could he have beaten him out at some point in the future, including this season? Hell yes! He was there as a true freshman to have witnessed Ian Book take over for an underperforming Brandon Wimbush. Of all people PJ had every reason to stay strong, keep the faith, keep pushing and believe in himself. But he couldn't take the heat, and he left. That's on him - 100%

Only BK/Book haters would ever suggest and try to insidiously pump this conspiracy theory that BK had it in for PJ. No basis for that kind of creeper talk. He just didn't win the starting job as a RS frosh which there would be no reason to think that he would or should - and that's it.

So i'm just saying, that's all. In case anyone was wondering.

Is he going to be a referee?
Really, some pretty classless comments on this board. How about just beeing happy for Phil and leaving it at that. He is 6'5" 230 lbs a ton of mobility and just threw for 300 yards on 17 throws. He will be in the NFL putting up those numbers, but we will have to see how he progresses. Passer rating over 200 so when has that happened at ND? I have a feeling something went South in South Bend.

Really, some pretty classless comments on this board. How about just beeing happy for Phil and leaving it at that. He is 6'5" 230 lbs a ton of mobility and just threw for 300 yards on 17 throws. He will be in the NFL putting up those numbers, but we will have to see how he progresses. Passer rating over 200 so when has that happened at ND? I have a feeling something went South in South Bend.
Yeah... He wasn't good enough to beat out the starter.

Yeah... He wasn't good enough to beat out the starter.

History dictates BK can’t evaluate the QB position properly. Just look at the cluster f*ck of the past 11 years.
All I know is PJ had far better numbers than Book against the same defense, with Book as 3 year starter, at home, PJ’s first start on the road with inferior talent around him. That speaks Volumes!!

Reactions: d1042
History dictates BK can’t evaluate the QB position properly. Just look at the cluster f*ck of the past 11 years.
All I know is PJ had far better numbers than Book against the same defense, with Book as 3 year starter, at home, PJ’s first start on the road with inferior talent around him. That speaks Volumes!!
Stop your bloviating! He couldn't beat out Ian.

Reactions: Bodizephax

It is just one freaking game. Every game is different. Tyler Lawrence had some bad games at the start of last year against teams that bad QB's had better games against. Do you think Syracuse was better than Clemson when they beat them?

Do 18, 19, and so far in 20 count? Results great.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I’d be interested in watching the actual game to see how PJ performed rather than trust a stat line. I’m not sure why there is so much hate for him though. Him leaving had absolutely zero effect on this team as far as I can tell.

Reactions: NDinNJ
you proved you’re a keyboard warrior that knows nothing about football. It was you who said PJ couldn’t spin the ball. You’re a joke.
Stop spreading the china virus with your hot air. 35-6.

Who cares about the NFL? Notre Dame plays college football. Alabama won a few e national championships with average qb's..
Bodi, remember that guy Tommy Clements? I don't remember him having a sterling NFL career. I believe he won a lot of games at ND as a starting QB. Didn't he win a NC too. You are spot on in your reply. ND prepares players to perform on Saturday not Sunday. They aren't an NFL scout team.

Last edited:
35-6 but no national championship. We play Iowa State in the champs bowl.
Forget the 0 national championships, let’s get a major bowl win first, and not have that one game a year BK doesn’t have the team prepared.

Yea 35-6 is great, but most of those losses were embarrassing. Outscored 197 - 81 in those 6 losses.

Last edited:
Like others, I think he has pro potential, which is better than our other QBs. Too bad it didn't work out. I hope he does really well at BC and we get to see him in the pros.

Brian Kelly has improved and changed many areas of the program. QB improvement and development has to be a main focus going forward.

“Yea 35-6 is great, but most of those losses were embarrassing. Outscored 197 - 81 in those 6 losses.“

3 were embarrassing and one was against one of the better teams in recent past and the other in a monsoon. Both Georgia games could’ve been won & Stanford in ‘17, so saying most were embarrassing is wrong, only Miami, Clemson & Michigan were.

ADVERTISEMENT