ADVERTISEMENT

JOK is no joke -- these highlights are insane

embargolifted

Shakes Down The Thunder
May 10, 2020
Might be one of the best players I've seen on film on defense at Notre Dame since Jaylon Smith. Just a dominating presence/player with MASSIVE upside this year. Look at how many plays he blows up/makes behind the LOS and just how rangy of an athlete he is. Dude is a total freak.

He's also been moving up NFL prospect big boards all off season and many have him squarely in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft.

I think IIO mentioned that JOK is 85% of Simmons or Jaylon Smith .. but he might be every good a college football player and pro prospect as those guys.

He lead the team in tackles, tackles for loss, and sacks last year. And his film is NUTS. I'm not a pro scout by any means, but anytime a player is able to transform himself on film into a heat-seeking-missile set off and aimed at the football you know you have a special one.

PFF graded owusu the 6th best off-ball LB in 2020 with his highest grades coming in 6 of his final 7 games.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...otball-top-10-returning-ball-linebackers-2020

Todd McShay has Owusu as the 17th best overall NFL draft eligible prospect in 2021

Last edited:
I am hoping JOK, Hamilton and Crawford give us 3 big play guys on our defense. Fumbles created, recovered, passes intercepted or defense and tackles for loss.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Might be one of the best players I've seen on film on defense at Notre Dame since Jaylon Smith. Just a dominating presence/player with MASSIVE upside this year. Look at how many plays he blows up/makes behind the LOS and just how rangy of an athlete he is. Dude is a total freak.

He's also been moving up NFL prospect big boards all off season and many have him squarely in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft.

I think IIO mentioned that JOK is 85% of Simmons or Jaylon Smith .. but he might be every good a college football player and pro prospect as those guys.

He lead the team in tackles, tackles for loss, and sacks last year. And his film is NUTS. I'm not a pro scout by any means, but anytime a player is able to transform himself on film into a heat-seeking-missile set off and aimed at the football you know you have a special one.
In the five or six plays he definitely looks good, and he definitely has speed off the edge. If he could translate that into 60 Minutes a game, will be dominant on defense

because of god awful defensive coaching, JOK will have more of an impact this year than Jaylon did any year.

ALready had more TFL and Sacks than jaylon did any year. Sucks we'll only get to watch JOK play 2 years.

because of god awful defensive coaching, JOK will have more of an impact this year than Jaylon did any year.

ALready had more TFL and Sacks than jaylon did any year. Sucks we'll only get to watch JOK play 2 years.

This is an important point. Jaylon was dominating, despite a horrendous scheme and an incompetent defensive coordinator. We only ever got to see a fraction of his athleticism. He could have been a Rover for the ages. He had legit man coverage corner skills.

Reactions: IrishMike409
This is what happens when Kelly hires in his comfort zone (Quinn, Van Gorder). Jmo
Jury is still out on Quinn, lets be fair here, ND is considered by some experts to have #1 oline coming into this season. They were absolutely phenomenal in pass pro last year, inconsistent in the running game, but part of that may have been the absolute lack of talent in the backfield, embarrassing lack of talent.

This is an important point. Jaylon was dominating, despite a horrendous scheme and an incompetent defensive coordinator. We only ever got to see a fraction of his athleticism. He could have been a Rover for the ages. He had legit man coverage corner skills.
He also had very good pass rushing skills but BVG never let him eat, wanted him to clean up mistakes instead of make plays, so stupid to make him constantly have to fend off linemen.

It was astounding what a bad coach BVG was. It was even more astounding that it took so long for BK to recognize that. BVG's incompetence completely wasted the talents of a generational talent.

It was astounding what a bad coach BVG was. It was even more astounding that it took so long for BK to recognize that. BVG's incompetence completely wasted the talents of a generational talent.
The 2016 team actually had some darn good talent, it was a complete and total disaster of prep and coaching from BK to BVG. It all started with retaining BVG after his defense was awful the 2nd half of 2014, and had a bad 2015 year, and gave up 82 points the last 2 games of 2015. They it compounded by not having Kizer as clear starter day 1. Team was just flat out not prepared for 2016.

The 2016 team actually had some darn good talent, it was a complete and total disaster of prep and coaching from BK to BVG. It all started with retaining BVG after his defense was awful the 2nd half of 2014, and had a bad 2015 year, and gave up 82 points the last 2 games of 2015. They it compounded by not having Kizer as clear starter day 1. Team was just flat out not prepared for 2016.
Horrible season. The Texas game was a nightmare. Unbelievable let down.

I like how our defensive stats mysteriously improved 2/3 of the way through the 2016 season. It's like we sent in an 11th player.

Ovie will be a really nice backup to Daelin Hayes, in what should be an excellent 5 man DE rotation of Hayes, Oghoufo, Ogundeji, Ademilola and Foskey.

This is all completely true but I'd also add that our strength and conditioning was as big of an issue in 2016 as everything you have listed here. It's amazing that players stated that S&C was mostly left up to them.

Ove may start at WDE next year since we lose both Dealin and Ade after this year.

Actually I think Ademilola and Foskey will be the DE starters in 2021. If Ove and Botehlo show the necessary growth, they could be the WDE rotation with Foskey and Ademilola the SDE rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT