ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Alt ND committ

A little perspective before the star gazers come out with their pitchforks and torches.
Alt plays tight end in high school, he is reported to be an outstanding blocker at that position and has potential to be an OT. 6’7” but only 257, we’ll need to grow into a position. He will need to learn to pass block but his calling is high at OT.

A little perspective before the star gazers come out with their pitchforks and torches.
Alt plays tight end in high school, he is reported to be an outstanding blocker at that position and has potential to be an OT. 6’7” but only 257, we’ll need to grow into a position. He will need to learn to pass block but his calling is high at OT.
Great DNA.

Dad played in the NFL and brother played in the NHL. Definitively comes from an athletic family. If you're going to whiff at the top of your board, find some home upside guys and it appears Notre Dame did just that with Alt.

255'ish lbs means he has at least 50lbs to gain before he fills out that frame, so don't expect to see him before his junior year, but if can get to Notre Dame 275+lbs, he'll have a chance.

Coogan and Alt are both reaches, but if you're going to reach they have the right type of makeup.

I'm not overly excited about this pickup, but I'm not negative about it either. Status quo, IMO.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Dad played in the NFL and brother played in the NHL. Definitively comes from an athletic family. If you're going to whiff at the top of your board, find some home upside guys and it appears Notre Dame did just that with Alt.

255'ish lbs means he has at least 50lbs to gain before he fills out that frame, so don't expect to see him before his junior year, but if can get to Notre Dame 275+lbs, he'll have a chance.

Coogan and Alt are both reaches, but if you're going to reach they have the right type of makeup.

I'm not overly excited about this pickup, but I'm not negative about it either. Status quo, IMO.

your right about Alt and Cooglin being projects. Makes Spindler a must!

I am pleased and I agree Spindler is a must! ND will be playing 4 big time high profile games in 2022 and our overall schedule is much stronger than Michigan's. We are gonna need elite players on the OL. If Quinn can land Spindler, I think Fisher, Coogan and Alt will all complement him well and I will give Quinn high ratings for his efforts during Covid.

Last edited:
I know this was probably discussed earlier but why was Greg Crippen turned away?

I know this was probably discussed earlier but why was Greg Crippen turned away?

Not thought as having extremely high upside by the ND staff. He was a guard only prospect and that's not usually how they recruit, unless said player is absolutely elite. They usually take offensive tackles and move them in to guard.

They also thought they were going to do much better than they ultimately will along the OL.

Not thought as having extremely high upside by the ND staff. He was a guard only prospect and that's not usually how they recruit, unless said player is absolutely elite. They usually take offensive tackles and move them in to guard.

They also thought they were going to do much better than they ultimately will along the OL.
If you had your choice right now to take 2 out of these 3, who would you take? Crippen, Alt, Coogan. Id take the 2 we got. Definitely expected a much better OL class though. Spindler is a must get. And hopefully we can flip a higher ranked kid later on somehow.

If you had your choice right now to take 2 out of these 3, who would you take? Crippen, Alt, Coogan. Id take the 2 we got. Definitely expected a much better OL class though. Spindler is a must get. And hopefully we can flip a higher ranked kid later on somehow.

Agreed. I'd take the two we have in the fold. Crippen is ahead of both right now, IMO, but both Alt and Coogan have more upside.

I'm really hoping ND has a big year and stays on the likes of Dellinger, Millum, Johnson, etc... Maybe a late flip for a 5 man class, after taking 2 last year.

I don't see Coogan as a reach at all.

Had commitable offers from Ohio St and Oklahoma

Can pull and trap and bend.

First thing that jumped at me on his tape was he long snaps and runs down 40-45 yards and makes the tackle on the punt returner.

There aren't many many 280 lb HS kids that can do that.

He's tough.

Hard hitting 3 star.....Kelly still closing the deal to deliver that top 5 class.

I don't see Coogan as a reach at all.

Had commitable offers from Ohio St and Oklahoma

Can pull and trap and bend.

First thing that jumped at me on his tape was he long snaps and runs down 40-45 yards and makes the tackle on the punt returner.

There aren't many many 280 lb HS kids that can do that.

He's tough.

I think he's a reach if your goal is to make a playoff game and beat Alabama or Clemson.

As far as guards go, Blake Fisher, Rocco Spindler, Landon Tengwall, Terrence Ferguson, Donovan Jackson, Micah Morris, Bryce Foster, Marcus Tate, Garrett Dellinger, Bram Walden, Dylan Fairchild, David Davidkov, Jaeden Robert's, Dietrick Pennington... Those are the type of guys I wanted for the 2 OG spots in the class.

Agreed. I'd take the two we have in the fold. Crippen is ahead of both right now, IMO, but both Alt and Coogan have more upside.

I'm really hoping ND has a big year and stays on the likes of Dellinger, Millum, Johnson, etc... Maybe a late flip for a 5 man class, after taking 2 last year.
It's possible if we have a big year and they allow visits late in the process. Without visits, I just dont know if that will happen

I think he's a reach if your goal is to make a playoff game and beat Alabama or Clemson.

As far as guards go, Blake Fisher, Rocco Spindler, Landon Tengwall, Terrence Ferguson, Donovan Jackson, Micah Morris, Bryce Foster, Marcus Tate, Garrett Dellinger, Bram Walden, Dylan Fairchild, David Davidkov, Jaeden Robert's, Dietrick Pennington... Those are the type of guys I wanted for the 2 OG spots in the class.

Disagree----respectfully

But nothing IMO is a bigger crapshoot than evaluating OL guys.

I know some college OL guys and this is what I know--------5 guys can look at a kid and have 5 opinions.

I'll say this about the kid-----he plays with a good pad level-----he finishes-------he combos and comes off it easily to get the 2nd level guy.

He has a good OL coach at his school that I know by watching him .

He lists a 235 Clean----that's an excellent lift for a HS Big.

I'm not in the " Star Biz " but combining all that with 30 offers and several from Top 5 schools what's not to like. ?

What do you know that OSU , OU ,Mich and LSU don't ?

They all offered.

OU , LSU ,Texas A&M , Tenn-----they don't come to Chicago for just anyone. They can get your basic " reach " prospect closer to campus.

OL is a position group that the sum of the parts can far exceed the parts of the sum!

I'll say this about the kid-----he plays with a good pad level-----he finishes-------he combos and comes off it easily to get the 2nd level guy.

His high school OL coach is his father, John Alt, who was a first round NFL pick and played 12 years for the Kansas City Chiefs, twice making the NFL All-Pro team. So yeah, I'd say he has a pretty good OL coach.

Disagree----respectfully

But nothing IMO is a bigger crapshoot than evaluating OL guys.

I know some college OL guys and this is what I know--------5 guys can look at a kid and have 5 opinions.

He lists a 235 Clean----that's an excellent lift for a HS Big.

I'm not in the " Star Biz " but combining all that with 30 offers and several from Top 5 schools what's not to like. ?

What do you know that OSU , OU ,Mich and LSU don't ?

They all offered.

OU , LSU ,Texas A&M , Tenn-----they don't come to Chicago for just anyone. They can get your basic " reach " prospect closer to campus.

That's ok. We can disagree to disagree. I absolutely agree with you that assessing OL is difficult and I'm far from some guru at it. My general rule of thumb, however, is that I want the guys that are a good looking 300lbs+ walking in the door, with room to reshape and add some more... The reason being is that when you face the Clemson's, Alabama's and Georgia's of the world, if you're going to run the ball you need some straight up dudes. 320lb'ers that can throw guys around. Without them, their 310lb interior players just destroy you at the LOS. There is a chance that you can take a 255lb (in the case of Alt) or a 280lb (in the case of Coogan) type and turn him into a monster, but the failure rate is high. Personally, I'd rather get more Quenton Nelson, Chris Watt, Tommy Kraemer, Penei Sewell, Trey Smith, Wyatt Davis, Alex Leatherwood, Donovan Jackson, Landon Tengwall types... Huge people, that move like much smaller people.

Last edited:
The more I read about this kid, the more I like him. Seems like he has a great head on his shoulders, and his interest in what ND has to offer him academically isn't just lip service. Plans to major in mechanical engineering, a very tough major. Drue Tranquill was an ME major; if Joe turns out to be the player and team leader that Drue became, we'll have ourselves a pretty good football player.

Aside from being the son of a great NFL player, I liked the things that former ND great Tim Grunhard had to say about the kid. Grunhard thinks Joe could become a really good player. Time will tell, but I think ND made a really good pick up with Joe.

Andy Heck and Chris Hinton are two examples of guys who were originally tight ends and ended up as excellent offensive tackles.

That's ok. We can disagree to disagree. I absolutely agree with you that assessing OL is difficult and I'm far from some guru at it. My general rule of thumb, however, is that I want the guys that are a good looking 300lbs+ walking in the door, with room to reshape and add some more... The reason being is that when you face the Clemson's, Alabama's and Georgia's of the world, if you're going to run the ball you need some straight up dudes. 320lb'ers that can throw guys around. Without them, their 310lb interior players just destroy you at the LOS. There is a chance that you can take a 255lb (in the case of Alt) or a 280lb (in the case of Coogan) type and turn him into a monster, but the failure rate is high. Personally, I'd rather get more Quenton Nelson, Chris Watt, Tommy Kraemer, Penei Sewell, Trey Smith, Wyatt Davis, Alex Leatherwood, Donovan Jackson, Landon Tengwall types... Huge people, that move like much smaller people.

Those are in very short supply.

You would be amazed how many guys passed on Quentin .

ND almost being one of them.

Those are in very short supply.

You would be amazed how many guys passed on Quentin .

ND almost being one of them.

They are in very short supply, but when your program produced 3/5 of the NFL All Pro Team offensive line last year, should should be able to recruit OL like Alabama does running backs, Oklahoma does quarterbacks and LSU does defensive backs. Whatever short supply there is, you should get more than your fair share. Notre Dame SHOULD be able to pull 2-3 Spindler / Fisher types every single year. 3-2-3-2... Something like that in a 4 year cycle. They got 1 of those blue chip types last year and they'll probably get 2 this year. That's about 2 short of what they should land in a 2 year cohort.

Nobody has produced better NFL OL than ND over the last 6-7 years. Their recruiting should reflect that, as it does at other programs.

They are in very short supply, but when your program produced 3/5 of the NFL All Pro Team offensive line last year, should should be able to recruit OL like Alabama does running backs, Oklahoma does quarterbacks and LSU does defensive backs. Whatever short supply there is, you should get more than your fair share. Notre Dame SHOULD be able to pull 2-3 Spindler / Fisher types every single year. 3-2-3-2... Something like that in a 4 year cycle. They got 1 of those blue chip types last year and they'll probably get 2 this year. That's about 2 short of what they should land in a 2 year cohort.

Nobody has produced better NFL OL than ND over the last 6-7 years. Their recruiting should reflect that, as it does at other programs.

The academic component plays into that along with the location.

We're in Indiana----it's cold----we have a beautiful campus but SB isn't much.

You couldn't do more to recruit a kid than we did for Tengwall but at the end of the day he wanted a place where on Gameday his parents could get in the car and drive to the game. I can't hold that against him.

PSU gets him with very little in terms of track record in OL development and a new OL coach he barely knew.

So much for relationships.

ADVERTISEMENT