ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Quinn/ + Bonus outlook for 2021

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
On TOS I saw where Jeff Quinn was listed as the #1 offensive line recruiter for the recruiting classes 2019--2021. A GREAT hire by Brian Kelly.
The legend IIO had a meltdown after Harry Heistand left and said Jeff Quinn was a terrible hire and Kelly only hires his buddies.

*** This is one of the reasons I believe 2021 will be a playoff year as we will not fall off much on the Oline as we will lose alot of experience but it will be made up for by sheer talent (better than Bama Oline talent (freshman and sophmores)

*** We are also in good shape at QB because we have a super talent in Buchner coming in (Skibro is right on that) and we have a talented experienced QB transfer (Jack Coan coming in) and we have two other QB's in Clark and Pyne that know the offense well that will fight for the job. The cream will rise to the top.

*** We are the best at running back since the old days.

*** And we have speed and high ceiling talent at WR for that we were lacking in 2020. Loaded !!

---Jordan Johnson---5 star--high 4 star.
--- Braden Lenzy---A healthy Lenzy has the speed to kill. 4 star
---Xavier Watts---4 star.
---Kevin Austin--4 star.
New additions
---Lorenzo Styles Jr.---High 4 star--55th ranked national. The next super star receiver who can do it all--will play plenty as a freshman. Think Michael Floyd
---Deion Colzie--- 4 star out of Georgia--ranked 144 national at all positions. From the hotbed of Ohio.
---Jayden Thomas--- 4 star--not ranked as high as Lorenzo or Deion but still a 4 star out of Georgia !

And we have experienced fast receivers in Lawrence Keys, Avery Davis, and Joe Wilkins JR. returning.

Tommy Rees will be a hot commodity in 2022 as the Irish will have one of the better offenses in the country in 2021. The Foolish Naysayers were down on Tommy after one year when he didn't have the tools at receiver to hang with the big boys at the end. They will be forced to eat crow in 2021.

The defense will be dominant-- the best since 2012--- Marcus Freeman is a step up from Elko and Lea--which is really saying something !!

The Irish will be 12 and 0 In 2021 !!

Brian Kelly is one of the best coaches in college football. And is determined to win a NC at Notre Dame and I believe he will do it. If he coached at one of the football factories he would already have a NC title or two under his belt.
*** I confess---I want ND to be a football factory. The powers that be at ND need to make it easier for Kelly to get what he asks for !!

I'm sure he did say that Jeff Quinn sucks. Would you expect anything less from that dude? But he was far from the only one. And of course they were all nothing but spiteful idiots.

In any case, Quinn is really going to have to earn his keep in 2021. Four new starters, a true rebuilding year along the offensive line.

Reactions: Kelso86
The evolution of Quinn:
Kelly’s worst hire besides BVG
Kelly resorts to hiring friends again, while passing on some great talent
Quinn’s early recruitment success is Really Harry’s
OK, Quinn looks to be a decent recruiter
Quinn may be a good recruiter, but he’s a terrible OL coach
Quinn spends almost no time teaching techniques
Quinn may know how to coach pass blocking, but has no clue about run blocking
Wow, the offense found a running game, maybe Long was the problem and not Quinn
Quinn is a great recruiter and great OL coach...another great Kelly hire!

I'm sure he did say that Jeff Quinn sucks. Would you expect anything less from that dude? But he was far from the only one. And of course they were all nothing but spiteful idiots.

In any case, Quinn is really going to have to earn his keep in 2021. Four new starters, a true rebuilding year along the offensive line.
Savvy......100% correct that 2021 will be the test for Quinn. Even though he whiffed on a few major recruits, I have to give him credit for becoming a real good recruiter. His ability to develop players will be on display this year.
I'd argue this past season was one of the o lines best. I think some of the past seasons play was good/very good but perhaps they under achieved in the big games.
Coach Quinn had exceeded my expectations. I have no problem admitting it

Reactions: savvyandsassier
Anyone else concerned that Jordan Johnson only saw action in two games in 2020? Both were blowout wins (South Florida and Boston College). I thought he would see the year more considering 2020 was a free year for everyone.

There were A TON of people lamenting that Kelly has taken the easy way out and hired his buddy Quinn, instead of going after a more name brand OLIne coach.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Anyone else concerned that Jordan Johnson only saw action in two games in 2020? Both were blowout wins (South Florida and Boston College). I thought he would see the year more considering 2020 was a free year for everyone.
He was struggling initially outside of football. Kelly isn't going to play freshmen until they get their academics in order.

Savvy......100% correct that 2021 will be the test for Quinn. Even though he whiffed on a few major recruits, I have to give him credit for becoming a real good recruiter. His ability to develop players will be on display this year.
I'd argue this past season was one of the o lines best. I think some of the past seasons play was good/very good but perhaps they under achieved in the big games.

This Oline got us our first win against a #1 team in 27 years as they ran all over Clemson. Against Clemson the second time, the Irish moved the ball into the red zone the first three drives but only scored 3 points thanks to dropped passes like that one Avery Davis dropped on 4th down.
Against Alabama the Irish moved the ball (they had about the same amount of yards as Bama) and kept Alabama's scoring down.

HH's Oline were great but they did not play as well in big games due to the blocking schemes that didn't work against athletic top tier defenses.

HH was very good at ND . Jeff Quin is even better. And his Olines will even be better as he has the top recruiter at the Oline position the last three classes.

He did not whiff on Major recruits---he just can't win every recruiting battle.

Reactions: mmca

I remember Bryan Driskell was really leading the charge against Jeff Quinn ever possibly getting the OL job. He was just relentless.

Personally, I have no idea how good or not Jeff Quinn truly is or not as an OL coach. I'm no expert. My whole thing was that his track record was too good for him to be getting dismissed so vehemently like he was, before eventually getting hired. You could easily make an argument for any number of other good candidates, which is always true. But the antipathy for Quinn, and how emotional some fans got over it, considering his almost twenty years as BK's right hand man, most trusted assistant, as well as his OC to boot, and pretty much unbroken success at every step of the way. From D-2 national champs to back-to-back BCS bowls at UC. On paper at least, Quinn would appear to have been so instrumental, and so integral to BK's success that you almost wondered back when he was hired, whether him and Jeff Quinn was a possible Chris Peterson/Dan Hawkins situation and that it was Quinn that was the real genius.

It was such utter disrespect for both Quinn and BK that you couldn't help but be taken aback by it. In any event, Quinn had the last laugh, and OL remains ND's greatest position-group strength. I'm not so sure that's not going to be harder to replace than Book. They're probably all going to get drafted too. Eichenberg, Banks, Hainsey, as well as Kraemer, though Kraemer's stock may have dipped some.

Jordan Johnson - Don't write him off. Sometimes it takes a guy a year to adjust to the playbook, speed of the game, blocking and college.

If he doesn't produce some in 2021, time to have some concerns.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
I look for similar problems that new offensive lines have in learning to work together.

I look for similar problems that new offensive lines have in learning to work together.
No concerns there at all. The cupboard is extremely well stocked. 3 guys coming back who have seen enough time with Patterson a star in waiting. Looking forward to the guard competition as there is some real talent there.

No concerns there at all. The cupboard is extremely well stocked. 3 guys coming back who have seen enough time with Patterson a star in waiting. Looking forward to the guard competition as there is some real talent there.

So do you think Patterson will move to LT? There's no doubt on paper we've got some names, but nobody who's actually done much yet. I suppose Lugg has been earning his stripes a bit, but otherwise lots of new blood that will getting major minutes on the line, most of whom there's not much to go on beyond their recruiting ballyhoo.

I haven't checked the actual minutes/snaps played of our reserve OL who now will be moving into starting jobs, but it can't have been too much.

Any word on Spring Practice? I am anxious to see this battle take place.

So do you think Patterson will move to LT? There's no doubt on paper we've got some names, but nobody who's actually done much yet. I suppose Lugg has been earning his stripes a bit, but otherwise lots of new blood that will getting major minutes on the line, most of whom there's not much to go on beyond their recruiting ballyhoo.

I haven't checked the actual minutes/snaps played of our reserve OL who now will be moving into starting jobs, but it can't have been too much.
It's already been speculated about. Zeke was more than solid in his couple of starts. I can easily see him at center with Patterrson and Lugg as almost certainties at the tackle spots. I think Spindler has a real shot at guard and don't sleep on Spears.

It's already been speculated about. Zeke was more than solid in his couple of starts. I can easily see him at center with Patterrson and Lugg as almost certainties at the tackle spots. I think Spindler has a real shot at guard and don't sleep on Spears.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Zeke. So just being a fanboy then, I'm guessing Zeke at C, Patterson at LT, and filling out the last three spots in no particular order, i.e. five best guys overall, Lugg, Kristolfic, and my surprise pick, Hunter Spears. And I see that you also like Spears as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Zeke. So just being a fanboy then, I'm guessing Zeke at C, Patterson at LT, and filling out the last three spots in no particular order, i.e. five best guys overall, Lugg, Kristolfic, and my surprise pick, Hunter Spears. And I see that you also like Spears as well.
Lugg is a much better tackle than guard. Way more of a natural tackle. The good thing is that there is an embarrassment of riches in that room. Totally confident they'll find the right combination.

Reactions: savvyandsassier
Did I read somewhere that Patterson will not be taking Spring ?

If that's the case it's very hard to pencil him in at LT.

On TOS I saw where Jeff Quinn was listed as the #1 offensive line recruiter for the recruiting classes 2019--2021. A GREAT hire by Brian Kelly.
The legend IIO had a meltdown after Harry Heistand left and said Jeff Quinn was a terrible hire and Kelly only hires his buddies.

*** This is one of the reasons I believe 2021 will be a playoff year as we will not fall off much on the Oline as we will lose alot of experience but it will be made up for by sheer talent (better than Bama Oline talent (freshman and sophmores)

*** We are also in good shape at QB because we have a super talent in Buchner coming in (Skibro is right on that) and we have a talented experienced QB transfer (Jack Coan coming in) and we have two other QB's in Clark and Pyne that know the offense well that will fight for the job. The cream will rise to the top.

*** And we have speed and high ceiling talent at WR for that we were lacking in 2020. Loaded !!

---Kevin Austin--4 star.
New additions
---Lorenzo Styles Jr.---High 4 star--55th ranked national. The next super star receiver who can do it all--will play plenty as a freshman. Think Michael Floyd
---Deion Colzie--- 4 star out of Georgia--ranked 144 national at all positions. From the hotbed of Ohio.
---Jayden Thomas--- 4 star--not ranked as high as Lorenzo or Deion but still a 4 star out of Georgia !

And we have experienced fast receivers in Lawrence Keys, Avery Davis, and Joe Wilkins JR. returning.

Tommy Rees will be a hot commodity in 2022 as the Irish will have one of the better offenses in the country in 2021. The Foolish Naysayers were down on Tommy after one year when he didn't have the tools at receiver to hang with the big boys at the end. They will be forced to eat crow in 2021.

The defense will be dominant-- the best since 2012--- Marcus Freeman is a step up from Elko and Lea--which is really saying something !!

Brian Kelly is one of the best coaches in college football. And is determined to win a NC at Notre Dame and I believe he will do it. If he coached at one of the football factories he would already have a NC title or two under his belt.
*** I confess---I want ND to be a football factory. The powers that be at ND need to make it easier for Kelly to get what he asks for !!
The schedule is highly favorable for another run next season. It’s part of why the move to bring in a veteran like Coan made so much sense this year.
With the move to bring in experience at QB the rest of the holes needing replaced are all areas that the coaching staff has a terrific track record developing and have recruited well the past few years.

Why ? Seamless transition for him. Not a concern at all. He was a tackle before he was a center. Making sure he's a 100% is the most important thing.

Echo, you know a hell of a lot more about OL play than I do, so I was surprised to see you say that Zeke was more than solid in his few starts. I thought he struggled in both, but also thought he was better than Lugg. Patterson is an elite center in my opinion, and so the drop off was really apparent.
Zeke will benefit greatly from his two game experience, and another year of strengthening will be a huge plus for him. The beauty of ND OL recruiting is the quality and position flexibility these guys offer. This translates into the best five players starting, and I’ll be interested to see if Zeke is in fact one of these. Lugg was awkward at center and guard, but seems to have all the physical traits of a talented tackle, and I expect both him and Patterson to start; but unlike the general assumption, I‘m not convinced that Patterson moves from center to tackle.
At any rate, the competition for the OL spots this year will be really interesting given the quality of players we have, and so I am anxious for Spring ball to start to see what develops.

Reactions: echowaker

---Kevin Austin--4 star.
New additions

Great points my friend. I know at times, you and I look through blue/gold glasses. However, no one can argue against your points in this thread. Well done!

Echo, you know a hell of a lot more about OL play than I do, so I was surprised to see you say that Zeke was more than solid in his few starts. I thought he struggled in both, but also thought he was better than Lugg. Patterson is an elite center in my opinion, and so the drop off was really apparent.
Zeke will benefit greatly from his two game experience, and another year of strengthening will be a huge plus for him. The beauty of ND OL recruiting is the quality and position flexibility these guys offer. This translates into the best five players starting, and I’ll be interested to see if Zeke is in fact one of these. Lugg was awkward at center and guard, but seems to have all the physical traits of a talented tackle, and I expect both him and Patterson to start; but unlike the general assumption, I‘m not convinced that Patterson moves from center to tackle.
At any rate, the competition for the OL spots this year will be really interesting given the quality of players we have, and so I am anxious for Spring ball to start to see what develops.
Many folks here were saying Patrerson was bad in 2019. You have to factor in expectations and that's what I always do. I knew with a full year of experience under his belt and another offseason with Balis he would be excellent in 2020 and he was. Anyone that was expecting Zeke to step in an perform like a seasoned vet was bound to be disappointed. I feel the same about him as I did Patterson going forward. The guard battles are what I'm looking forward to.

Reactions: Telx1

Right, that's what I was kind of thinking too about Patterson. I didn't realize at first he was considered such a lock to start at LT, after having played C all this time. But the pundits at least seem to think he's likely headed for LT. Maybe he's not really a lock, and he'll stay inside. And then Zeke Correll could be a G.

Why ? Seamless transition for him. Not a concern at all. He was a tackle before he was a center. Making sure he's a 100% is the most important thing.

Because he was LISTED as a LT-----he didn't get any game reps there did he ?

Anointing someone as a starter not my cup of tea when he doesn't have game reps.

Right, that's what I was kind of thinking too about Patterson. I didn't realize at first he was considered such a lock to start at LT, after having played C all this time. But the pundits at least seem to think he's likely headed for LT. Maybe he's not really a lock, and he'll stay inside. And then Zeke Correll could be a G.
Those same pundits say that Zeke is a center only, and that he is too small to play elsewhere. I don’t understand how you can be big enough to play center but too small to play guard. Now if they’re talking about footwork and agility and ability to pull, then maybe that’s a fair assessment, but I haven’t seen anything beyond size referenced. I do get that he was penciled in as a natural center when he was recruited, and I fully expect he will be stronger and bigger and better this upcoming season. I just find myself thinking we have one starter returning, which is Patterson, and question whether we really want to Have that one starter playing a new position when he was elite at his current position. The proverbial bottom line is we’ll start the five best players, and we are assured that Patterson is one of five, the other four will likely dictate where Patterson plays.

Reactions: echowaker
In the era of the 4-3 scheme which a majority of teams are playing at the moment an OG is going to have in many situations a guy in the 6'4-6'5 300-320 range on his head. That's a lot to ask over the course of a 60-70 snap game and a 12 game season for a guy who's in the 280 lb range.

At Center you're uncovered in many more situations or there's a guy in your gap and you get help from the Guard before you climb to the 2nd level and find the LB .

Those same pundits say that Zeke is a center only, and that he is too small to play elsewhere. I don’t understand how you can be big enough to play center but too small to play guard. Now if they’re talking about footwork and agility and ability to pull, then maybe that’s a fair assessment, but I haven’t seen anything beyond size referenced. I do get that he was penciled in as a natural center when he was recruited, and I fully expect he will be stronger and bigger and better this upcoming season. I just find myself thinking we have one starter returning, which is Patterson, and question whether we really want to Have that one starter playing a new position when he was elite at his current position. The proverbial bottom line is we’ll start the five best players, and we are assured that Patterson is one of five, the other four will likely dictate where Patterson plays.

Right, fair points. Then again, if there was ever a time for a complete re-build basically from scratch, now's a good time for that. For me I'm not so much worried about breaking in a new center, more getting the best five on the field, and sorting things out on the whole. LT is often considered the OL's most critical spot, and if Patterson represents the best you got at that position, then move him and find yourself a new center, ie ZC. Then again we have a few fairly ideal LT candidates who were highly recruited, and if nothing else Patterson could easily just stay inside, which is where his best NFL potential might be anyway, and not at LT. He's not overly tall.

So it's definitely a complete rebuild. Too bad about covid, because this will be a really big spring practice for the program. New coaches, new starters, new QB... There's always turnover but this offseason is especially big.

In the era of the 4-3 scheme which a majority of teams are playing at the moment an OG is going to have in many situations a guy in the 6'4-6'5 300-320 range on his head. That's a lot to ask over the course of a 60-70 snap game and a 12 game season for a guy who's in the 280 lb range.

At Center you're uncovered in many more situations or there's a guy in your gap and you get help from the Guard before you climb to the 2nd level and find the LB .
Yeah, the sizes you reference on the defensive side are more in line with most of the OL on our roster. I’ll be surprised if Zeke plays below 300 this year, but when he was Standing next to the other OL starters last year, he looked a Good four to five inches shorter and doubt he can effectively carry more than 300. Always enjoy your technical analysis.

I remember Bryan Driskell was really leading the charge against Jeff Quinn ever possibly getting the OL job. He was just relentless.

Personally, I have no idea how good or not Jeff Quinn truly is or not as an OL coach. I'm no expert. My whole thing was that his track record was too good for him to be getting dismissed so vehemently like he was, before eventually getting hired. You could easily make an argument for any number of other good candidates, which is always true. But the antipathy for Quinn, and how emotional some fans got over it, considering his almost twenty years as BK's right hand man, most trusted assistant, as well as his OC to boot, and pretty much unbroken success at every step of the way. From D-2 national champs to back-to-back BCS bowls at UC. On paper at least, Quinn would appear to have been so instrumental, and so integral to BK's success that you almost wondered back when he was hired, whether him and Jeff Quinn was a possible Chris Peterson/Dan Hawkins situation and that it was Quinn that was the real genius.

It was such utter disrespect for both Quinn and BK that you couldn't help but be taken aback by it. In any event, Quinn had the last laugh, and OL remains ND's greatest position-group strength. I'm not so sure that's not going to be harder to replace than Book. They're probably all going to get drafted too. Eichenberg, Banks, Hainsey, as well as Kraemer, though Kraemer's stock may have dipped some.
Driskell is great for his recruiting insight... For his coaching insight...not so much. He's never in the realm of the same page as kelly and staf

Right, fair points. Then again, if there was ever a time for a complete re-build basically from scratch, now's a good time for that. For me I'm not so much worried about breaking in a new center, more getting the best five on the field, and sorting things out on the whole. LT is often considered the OL's most critical spot, and if Patterson represents the best you got at that position, then move him and find yourself a new center, ie ZC. Then again we have a few fairly ideal LT candidates who were highly recruited, and if nothing else Patterson could easily just stay inside, which is where his best NFL potential might be anyway, and not at LT. He's not overly tall.

So it's definitely a complete rebuild. Too bad about covid, because this will be a really big spring practice for the program. New coaches, new starters, new QB... There's always turnover but this offseason is especially big.
Put the experience on the edges then put the best players at the guard spots available at the guard spots.

ADVERTISEMENT