ADVERTISEMENT

JAMES LAURINAITIS RETURNING TO OHIO STATE AS DEFENSIVE GRADUATE ASSISTANT

NDblitz

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Dec 15, 2021
Laurinaitis will serve as an assistant linebackers coach, filling the role held last season by Koy McFarland, who is now the linebackers coach at Tulsa.

Laurinaitis will serve as an assistant linebackers coach, filling the role held last season by Koy McFarland, who is now the linebackers coach at Tulsa.
Predictable. Can’t fault him. Makes career sense.

Reactions: Kelso86
See Ya Duck GIF by DefyTV

His name came up a lot in recruiting as a guy the LB targets liked a great deal. He also spent considerable time with hands on coaching the linebackers last year, and They were underwhelming. Freeman obviously liked and respected him, but I‘m more interested in who Freeman now brings in to help him with the linebackers. Personally, would like to see a former starting ND football player hired.

Reactions: Kelso86
His name came up a lot in recruiting as a guy the LB targets liked a great deal. He also spent considerable time with hands on coaching the linebackers last year, and They were underwhelming. Freeman obviously liked and respected him, but I‘m more interested in who Freeman now brings in to help him with the linebackers. Personally, would like to see a former starting ND football player hired.
This… epic failure by freeman in hiring a friend but possible good move if he is smart and instead gets a good coach…. We know how poorly hiring friends typically works out

Linebackers didn’t improve at all with so many experts; someone has to take fall

This… epic failure by freeman in hiring a friend but possible good move if he is smart and instead gets a good coach…. We know how poorly hiring friends typically works out

Linebackers didn’t improve at all with so many experts; someone has to take fall
Epic fail?

JL has nothing to do with the linebacker play last year. That's on Golden

Reactions: ohio1980
Epic fail?

Seriously… he literally worked soley with lbs

Lb play was bad in 21 and possibly worse in 22 with freeman Golden and Jamie…. No one should get a pass for that

Seriously… he literally worked soley with lbs

Lb play was bad in 21 and possibly worse in 22 with freeman Golden and Jamie…. No one should get a pass for that
LOL.

He was a grad assistant in his first year of coaching

LOL You're joking right

And you're putting blame on him. This is a new one. Blaming a GA in his first year for the LB play. First time I've ever heard this one

LOL

LOL.

He was a grad assistant in his first year of coaching

LOL You're joking right

And you're putting blame on him. This is a new one. Blaming a GA in his first year for the LB play. First time I've ever heard this one

LOL
I’m not putting the majority of blame on him by any means, yes way more goes to golden and freeman for lb play

With that said, despite being a GA he operated in a LB coach capacity , and clearly didn’t do a good job

Hopefully freeman and golden have learned that you need good coaching too not just people good at recruiting … Washington and James handling dl and lbs wasn’t good

Last edited:
Reactions: Telx1
Please no more Ohio State clowns. ND needs to bring in ND people. People that see ND as a final destination. I’m not a fan of this Ohio State bs connection we have built. **** Ohio State. We are Notre Dame. Bring in Manti!

Reactions: baron100
Please no more Ohio State clowns. ND needs to bring in ND people. People that see ND as a final destination. I’m not a fan of this Ohio State bs connection we have built. **** Ohio State. We are Notre Dame. Bring in Manti!
Manti is back in Hawaii with a young family, and can’t see him as a viable option. I want the ND connection as well. Have no idea as to interests and circumstances, but someone like Drew White comes to mind. Smart overachiever who was like a coach on the field When he played at ND.

Reactions: baron100
Manti is back in Hawaii with a young family, and can’t see him as a viable option. I want the ND connection as well. Have no idea as to interests and circumstances, but someone like Drew White comes to mind. Smart overachiever who was like a coach on the field When he played at ND.
I thought he lived in Utah. Either way I agree. ND needs more ND.

Is he interested in coaching ? Would he be good at it ? Not everyone who played automatically becomes a competent coach. You have to have the ability to teach and to interact well with others , develop staff chemistry and recruiting acumen . Just being a former player is not nearly enough.

Is he interested in coaching ? Would he be good at it ? Not everyone who played automatically becomes a competent coach. You have to have the ability to teach and to interact well with others , develop staff chemistry and recruiting acumen . Just being a former player is not nearly enough.
There has been a lot of talk that he would be a good coach and might have interest. Whether it comes to fruition is the question. He’s a ND grad wkth a good job. Point being we need ND guys coming back to give back that see ND like JL sees Ohio State. Ohio State is where all these alum want to be, shocker.

Is Freeman an OSU clown ?
Freeman’s an Ohio State alum and if ever offered the OSU job he will be off like a prom dress. Fickell and Hartline will also want it if Day leaves, and Ohio State cares about winning, so unless Freeman is a perennial playoff coach, he’s probably stuck at ND.

DOES COURTNEY WATSON COACH???

Freeman’s an Ohio State alum and if ever offered the OSU job he will be off like a prom dress. Fickell and Hartline will also want it if Day leaves, and Ohio State cares about winning, so unless Freeman is a perennial playoff coach, he’s probably stuck at ND.
Fickell is not on their radar at all. If Day leaves there are only two people on their list. Hartline and Mike Vrabel. Take it to the bank, one of those two will be the next OSU coach, likely within two years.

Fickell is not on their radar at all. If Day leaves there are only two people on their list. Hartline and Mike Vrabel. Take it to the bank, one of those two will be the next OSU coach, likely within two years.
One more blowout loss to Michigan should do it!

Freeman would most definitely be on their list if he makes a playoff game this season. Not even a debate. A black HC, alum, recruiter. Add a playoff and he’s top choice.

I’ll let ya know in 11.5 months…. Lol.

I really think only coaching has this team worse than 11-1 next year… other than major injury to Hartman alt or Morrison
Yeah playing 3 top 10 teams and only coaching has us less than 11. It can't be that this teams are better than us. Noooo

Freeman would definitely be on their radar. 100 percent

I’m not putting the majority of blame on him by any means, yes way more goes to golden and freeman for lb play

With that said, despite being a GA he operated in a LB coach capacity , and clearly didn’t do a good job

Hopefully freeman and golden have learned that you need good coaching too not just people good at recruiting … Washington and James handling dl and lbs wasn’t good
Beyond dumb

Epic fail?

That is not true. Laurentiis was extremely hands on. He was learning the nuances of how to coach, but was always working on technique with guys.

Reactions: Telx1
That is not true. Laurentiis was extremely hands on. He was learning the nuances of how to coach, but was always working on technique with guys.
Lol in his first year. He was teaching what Golden wanted him to teach

If the OL fails I'm blaming HH, not the GA

When Quinns line sucked, I didn't hear one person blame the GA

When Del Alexander sucked, I didn't hear one person blame the GA

When QB play was bad, I didn't hear one person blame a GA

When Polians special teams sucked, I didn't hear one person blame the GA

When our defense under BVG sucked, I didn't hear one person blame any of the GAs

When people say our DL didn't play up to their ability this year, I didn't hear one person blame a GA

This is nonsense. Al Golden is the linebackers coach. Hes been a coach for 30 years. He was in the nfl coaching last year. So he comes to ND and the GA is getting the blame for poor LB play last year. In his first season of coaching. The only reason you hear his name is because of his name.

That is beyond ridiculous

Yeah playing 3 top 10 teams and only coaching has us less than 11. It can't be that this teams are better than us. Noooo
2 of them home and 2 of them with other team having inexperienced qb and nd top 5 college qb …. Nd more overall talent than Clemson and usc … the gap with usc was really qb and coaching

Lol in his first year. He was teaching what Golden wanted him to teach

If the OL fails I'm blaming HH, not the GA

When Quinns line sucked, I didn't hear one person blame the GA

When Del Alexander sucked, I didn't hear one person blame the GA

When QB play was bad, I didn't hear one person blame a GA

When Polians special teams sucked, I didn't hear one person blame the GA

When our defense under BVG sucked, I didn't hear one person blame any of the GAs

When people say our DL didn't play up to their ability this year, I didn't hear one person blame a GA

This is nonsense. Al Golden is the linebackers coach. Hes been a coach for 30 years. He was in the nfl coaching last year. So he comes to ND and the GA is getting the blame for poor LB play last year. In his first season of coaching. The only reason you hear his name is because of his name.

That is beyond ridiculous
We didn’t have a full time lb coach, it was lauranitus and golden , JL full time tittle or not

And we or I absolutely put blame on golden and freeman for poor lb play , 3 guys who couldn’t get improvement

Freeman converted to Catholicism... I think it's fair to say he is all in at Notre Dame.
Freeman’s relationship with ND and Ohio St reminds me of that of Dabo with Clemson and Alabama. The talk for years was that Dabo was Saban’s heir apparent, and yet here he is in year 15 as HC of Clemson and signed through 2031. Hope we have a similar experience, and similar success with freeman at ND.

Freeman’s relationship with ND and Ohio St reminds me of that of Dabo with Clemson and Alabama. The talk for years was that Dabo was Saban’s heir apparent, and yet here he is in year 15 as HC of Clemson and signed through 2031. Hope we have a similar experience, and similar success with freeman at ND.
Similar to dabo freeman needs home runs at OC and DC…. Freeman isn’t a master of game plans but he is a master of selling the program and seems to not have major ego …. Needs the top coaches to do their thing and golden/Rees didn’t have great year in 2022 so you get 9-4, and similar season for Dabo after losing both longtime OC and dc

2 of them home and 2 of them with other team having inexperienced qb and nd top 5 college qb …. Nd more overall talent than Clemson and usc … the gap with usc was really qb and coaching
Mccord and Klubnik are both more talented than our QBs. We do t have a top 5 QB. And I don't think we are overall more talented than SC or Clemson. Probably right around the same. But they have more talented QBs than we do and Williams is light years better than ours

Mccord and Klubnik are both more talented than our QBs. We do t have a top 5 QB. And I don't think we are overall more talented than SC or Clemson. Probably right around the same. But they have more talented QBs than we do and Williams is light years better than ours
Not talking about Buchner…. Hartman was about 10th best college qb in 2022 at frichan wake …. Buchner has more talent than Hartman but he sucks right now and as a jr will not come close to beating him out

Clemson and osu would want Hartman over their 2023 qb 100%

Not talking about Buchner…. Hartman was about 10th best college qb in 2022 at frichan wake …. Buchner has more talent than Hartman but he sucks right now and as a jr will not come close to beating him out

Clemson and osu would want Hartman over their 2023 qb 100%
Im talking Hartman. He's not a top 5 QB

And I don't agree at all or OSU and Clemson would have been after him in the portal. They weren't. At all

They have higher upside guys who might not be better than him right now but a few games in they will be. Much more talented than him

Im talking Hartman. He's not a top 5 QB

And I don't agree at all or OSU and Clemson would have been after him in the portal. They weren't. At all

They have higher upside guys who might not be better than him right now but a few games in they will be. Much more talented than him
We’ll see soon

ADVERTISEMENT