ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any chance ND goes rogue here

john0gaunt

ND Expert
Oct 11, 2004
and creates an independent A(academic)FL type league with some of the left outs? I mean there is Stanford, UW, U of Arizona, Oregon, BYU, maybe Northwestern. Clemson may consider joining. BC and FSU are probably too far away but there must be a couple I'm leaving out that would all create there own league. A number of posters have mentioned this is a play by Fox and ESPN to corner the college game. If so, it's entirely possible CBS/NBC would want a piece of the action. No question usc carved out a ND exception before agreeing to the B1G deal. Also, I don't agree that the players are only interested in getting to the league. Many are interested in an education so they would still have access to the same marquee players. This new league could easily brand themselves a real college experience with classes and everything.

and creates an independent A(academic)FL type league with some of the left outs? I mean there is Stanford, UW, U of Arizona, Oregon, BYU, maybe Northwestern. Clemson may consider joining. BC and FSU are probably too far away but there must be a couple I'm leaving out that would all create there own league. A number of posters have mentioned this is a play by Fox and ESPN to corner the college game. If so, it's entirely possible CBS/NBC would want a piece of the action. No question usc carved out a ND exception before agreeing to the B1G deal. Also, I don't agree that the players are only interested in getting to the league. Many are interested in an education so they would still have access to the same marquee players. This new league could easily brand themselves a real college experience with classes and everything.
No

We shoulda tried it in the 80s when independent schools had named like Penn State and Miami instead of BYU and UMass.

Reactions: Rionegro
Penn State and Miami
I can't speak for ND, but parochial schools I do know. Forgive and forget is an ethereal, biblical concept. Not to be confused with decisions made in daily life.

Just as I don't think ND ever joins b1G, nor do they join a conference with Penn St. Unless dragged kicking and screaming.

Reactions: bcnd

The only “academic school” in the nation with a good football program is Notre Dame. There is no benefit to us in such a league.

Another in a long,long line of uneducated posts. You act like no other university out there that has a football program gives a damn about academics. Educate yourself if possible.
This is a terrible reply from you as usual. ND is head and shoulders above all other top programs. Name another school with an average ACT of 34 and a GPA average of 4.02 and is also a top 20 undergraduate university that can put a team in the playoffs. Nobody said those other schools don't give a damn about academics. You're a weird guy that likes to attack people you've disagreed with in the past. FACTS. ND is by far the best academic school with a good football program. Michigan is likely the next closest. Followed by nobody. Stanford sucks at football, which is a good thing for ND. Vanderbilt, Duke, Northwestern also suck at football. There's no comp.

This is a terrible reply from you as usual. ND is head and shoulders above all other top programs. Name another school with an average ACT of 34 and a GPA average of 4.02 and is also a top 20 undergraduate university that can put a team in the playoffs. Nobody said those other schools don't give a damn about academics. You're a weird guy that likes to attack people you've disagreed with in the past. FACTS. ND is by far the best academic school with a good football program. Michigan is likely the next closest. Followed by nobody. Stanford sucks at football, which is a good thing for ND. Vanderbilt, Duke, Northwestern also suck at football. There's no comp.
ND, Stanford, Vandy, Duke, Northwestern, Navy, BC, BYU, FSU, Clemson, are all miles above Michigan in academics. Heck, UCI puts them to shame. And Michigan has one NC in almost 75 years. Not really an elite program. In fact, University of California system has as many NC's as Michigan in that timeframe. And they are VASTLY better in academics.

There are many schools that emphasize academics besides ND. And football is not the only collegiate sport.

Reactions: pem55
This is an awful idea. No thanks.

if you are going to do this, why not just join the Ivy League?

Reactions: Airzee23
This is an awful idea. No thanks.

if you are going to do this, why not just join the Ivy League?
Well, you know the history. They aren't gonna join the B1G, the ACC seems doomed, and ND isn't gonna do well in the SEC. So what's the better option?

Stay independent. We'd do fine in the sec
I'm not sure independent is an option going forward and playing in the sec reduces ND's national footprint. Also, I don't think ND culture fits well with sec culture.

I'd prefer ND play academic institutions. They could include the academies, FSU, Duke, BC, and maybe Clemson. That would be enough for a west and eastern division. 7 games/yr within your division and 4 games on the other coast.

The way it is setting up, there will be 2 divisions in each superconference and the 4 winners will play in NC tournament. No room for independents.

And CBS and NBC, plus maybe a streaming service will want some of the college sports action. So there will be money available.

Well, you know the history. They aren't gonna join the B1G, the ACC seems doomed, and ND isn't gonna do well in the SEC. So what's the better option?
Stay right where they at at.

And are FSU and Clemson great academic schools? I really don’t know, never heard they were.

Stay right where they at at.

And are FSU and Clemson great academic schools? I really don’t know, never heard they were.
Well, I don't think independent will be an option soon. Plus if ACC folds, the non football sports need a home.

FSU is #55 and Clemson is 75. Not elite, but not garbage.

Another in a long,long line of uneducated posts. You act like no other university out there that has a football program gives a damn about academics. Educate yourself if possible.
Duke, Vandy, Northwestern, and Stanford have bad football teams for the most part. ND is by far the one program that consistently through many years has the program, academics, fans and brand. USC would be next in line with all that. I don’t understand your nasty response to Beer.

Reactions: IrishBeer
ND, Stanford, Vandy, Duke, Northwestern, Navy, BC, BYU, FSU, Clemson, are all miles above Michigan in academics. Heck, UCI puts them to shame. And Michigan has one NC in almost 75 years. Not really an elite program. In fact, University of California system has as many NC's as Michigan in that timeframe. And they are VASTLY better in academics.

There are many schools that emphasize academics besides ND. And football is not the only collegiate sport.
Florida State ahead of Michigan academically?????? 😂😂😂😂

WTF!!? No they’re not. Lol. Look up top undergraduate institutions. FSU!!? Hahahahhahahba. Now this is getting silly. US News has ND ranked top 20. There are 0 football programs in the top 20 that have ever been elite in the past 50 years besides ND. Michigan, Cal, UCLA, USC are solid, not top 20. That’s about it. ND stands alone in the top 20. Of that list, I’d say UofM has the best reputation outside ND. If Stanford or Duke were good, that would change things. They’re not.

Last edited:
WTF!!? No they’re not. Lol. Look up top undergraduate institutions. FSU!!? Hahahahhahahba. Now this is getting silly. US News has ND ranked top 20. There are 0 football programs in the top 20 that have ever been elite in the past 50 years besides ND. Michigan, Cal, UCLA, USC are solid. That’s about it. ND stands alone in the top 20.
Cal is #4 and UCLA is #18. BOTH have national championships in the last 100 years. Again, University of California system has more NC's and are vastly better academically than your beloved sh!thole michigan.

Cal is #4 and UCLA is #18. BOTH have national championships in the last 100 years. Again, University of California system has more NC's and are vastly better academically than your beloved sh!thole michigan.

They’re not relevant. You’re trying to nitpick away from the original premise. Creating a different argument. ND is the only relevant academic institution. Period.

Reactions: mcleanva1
Florida State ahead of Michigan academically?????? 😂😂😂😂
FSU is competitive academically and absolutely SPANKS michigan with FIVE NC game appearances in the last 25 years and 3 wins. michigan has one. hahahahahahahhahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: IrishBeer
They’re not relevant. You’re trying to nitpick away from the original premise. Creating a different argument. ND is the only relevant academic institution. Period.
Since you're using the 100 yr argument, Stanford has 2 NC's during that time. They top ND academically.

They’re not relevant. Not an elite academic school. ND is the only one. FSU is “respected”. Nobody is arguing that.
Stanford is an elite academic school. As is Northwestern, Cal, and BC. Other posters have noted and I agree we don't want an Ivy League, just a league that respects education and can field a competitive football team/all other non revenue sports. The teams I list match those qualifications. For some reason this caused your panties to get all twisted up.

Reactions: Weisnheimer

Florida is a good school. Alabama actually has a good engineering department.

The B10 isn't a write-off. If they have to join a conf., and they do, the B10 is best choice.

The B10 isn't a write-off. If they have to join a conf., and they do, the B10 is best choice.
First and foremost, Notre Dame wants to be Independent. IMO Jack Swarbick will exhaust every avenue to stay Independent, and I hope they succeed.

And your michigan trash haven't been relevant for 25 years.
You are a jerk for making me defend Meatchicken....

They have a NC more recent than ND, they were in the playoffs last year and have more wins (199 to 197 if my math is correct) in the last 25 years.

Nope.

World University Rankings 2022

Clemson, FSU and BYU are ahead of Michigan in academics?? Put down that crack pipe, son.

You are a jerk for making me defend Meatchicken....

They have a NC more recent than ND, they were in the playoffs last year and have more wins (199 to 197 if my math is correct) in the last 25 years.
This thread is about creating a rival to the 2 superconferences beginning to appear in CFB consisting of independents and other schools left out by the reshuffling currently underway. A reshuffling that threatens to destroy existing conferences that have been around for many years.

michigan is in the B1G. Their conference is the one looting the PAC12 and they have no intention of leaving the B1G. As such, they are completely irrelevant to this thread. Perhaps you can create a new thread and title it "to the glory of michigan". You have that option.

Clemson, FSU and BYU are ahead of Michigan in academics?? Put down that crack pipe, son.
2 of the 3 are incredibly more accomplished in football and most other non revenue sports over the last 25 years and very respected in academics. take a hit for me, pops. As for michigan academics? UCI puts them to shame.

ADVERTISEMENT