ADVERTISEMENT

Is Notre Dame in play for any 5 stars in 2019?

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Seems like an eternity since we've landed a commitment from one of the top .1% studs out of HS.

A Mike Floyd, Jimmy Clausen, Quenton Nelson, Jaylon Smith, Manti Te'o consensus 5 star .. are we in play for any talents like this in 2019? If so .. who are some names to keep an eye on?

Seems like an eternity since we've landed a commitment from one of the top .1% studs out of HS.

A Mike Floyd, Jimmy Clausen, Quenton Nelson, Jaylon Smith, Manti Te'o consensus 5 star .. are we in play for any talents like this in 2019? If so .. who are some names to keep an eye on?

I guess we need to define “in play for.”

There are 2-3 ND is recruiting but they all are pretty heavy leans to their local schools.

Also, there are a high 4 Star guys now ND is in on that might end up 5 Stars.

our irish have a great shot with borderline 5 star and top 50 overall rated VA LB Brandon Smith who some insiders think we get from what I've read. Lea has been recruiting him hard since Elko was here and Smith was thrilled when Lea was named DC

Right now, not really. Brian Williams was our best bet, but he followed Elko to in state Texas A&M, which wadn't shocking.

A guy like Brandon Smith, Quinn Carroll or Hudson Henry could get his 5th star during the cycle and ND is top 3 for all those guys right now. That would be our best bet, IMO.

Mike Elston boldly stated that he thinks this could be the best DL haul they'll land during the Kelly era... I think that's a little ridiculous. The best DL class they signed, by far, simply had some unfortunate situations.

5 star Stephon Tuitt
5 star Ishaq Williams
4 star top 100 Aaron Lynch
4 star top 100 Ben Councell

Williams was a bust. Lynch transferred after being named a freshman All American and Councell's career was derailed by injuries. A shitty string of luck outside of Tuitt, obviously, but that class was exceptionally talented coming in. 3 years of Tuitt /Lynch would have been awesome.

Right now, not really. Brian Williams was our best bet, but he followed Elko to in state Texas A&M, which wadn't shocking.

A guy like Brandon Smith, Quinn Carroll or Hudson Henry could get his 5th star during the cycle and ND is top 3 for all those guys right now. That would be our best bet, IMO.

Mike Elston boldly stated that he thinks this could be the best DL haul they'll land during the Kelly era... I think that's a little ridiculous. The best DL class they signed, by far, simply had some unfortunate situations.

5 star Stephon Tuitt
5 star Ishaq Williams

Williams was a bust. Lynch transferred after being named a freshman All American and Councell's career was derailed by injuries. A shitty string of luck outside of Tuitt, obviously, but that class was exceptionally talented coming in. 3 years of Tuitt /Lynch would have been awesome.

Also, Springmann was in that class (3*) and he was playing very well until injuries did him in.

No need for 5 stars...Get the 3* and 4* and coach them up with our elite coaches.

5 star Stephon Tuitt
5 star Ishaq Williams

That was a GREAT class but as you state, life happens. That is why you've got to have that type of recruiting every year. Not necessarily two 5 stars and 2 four stars, but multiple top DL every year. Keep in mind Tillery was a converted OL. It has been a long time since the Irish hit the mother load with DL.

Ben Councell reference ? wow .. lol

Being a college football fan has a way to remind you of how old you are pretty quickly...

I remember being super excited about councell ... it's unfortunate nothing really materialized there.

I also remember when Lynch was rated a 100-200 overall prospect, and IIO was VERY adamant that Lynch was a top 25/5 star talent ... when is the last time a Freshman on the defensive line had the kind of impact Aaron Lynch has had ? You nailed that one IIO. Just have a lot of respect for your insight.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
That was a GREAT class but as you state, life happens. That is why you've got to have that type of recruiting every year. Not necessarily two 5 stars and 2 four stars, but multiple top DL every year. Keep in mind Tillery was a converted OL. It has been a long time since the Irish hit the mother load with DL.
I believe Tillery played ol and dl in hs

Zach Harrison might be one to watch.
He's a monster. Best pure pass rush d end I've seen since clowney coming of high school. Not even close to as good as clowney was in high school still

Edit: That kid Thibideoux is just as good. 2019 class is loaded with stud d ends

Last edited:
He's a monster. Best pure pass rush d end I've seen since clowney coming of high school. Not even close to as good as clowney was in high school still

Edit: That kid Thibideoux is just as good. 2019 class is loaded with stud d ends

ND is not in play for Thibideoux.

5 star Stephon Tuitt
5 star Ishaq Williams

Tuit and Williams were a great recruiting coup, but looking at the 8 possible total seasons how productive was the end result?
Lynch and Council were less productive.

ADVERTISEMENT