ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State was tough in every game.

7-5, those 5 losses were by a combined 21 points.

Margin of loss:

#16Iowa-1
@#7Baylor-2
OK State-7
@#4Boomer Sooner-1
@K-State-10
4.2 per game

they were in every game they played!
Another palooka ......no excuses...ND should win big.

Another palooka ......no excuses...ND should win big.

Matt Campbell maximizes what he has at Iowa State, which isn’t much. Good coach, prepared team that doesn’t get blown out. ND should win on “talent” alone, but there’s a reason they play the game.

Iowa State hasn’t been blown out all year, why would they start in a neutral field game?

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Matt Campbell maximizes what he has at Iowa State, which isn’t much. Good coach, prepared team that doesn’t get blown out. ND should win on “talent” alone, but there’s a reason they play the game.
They have the more talented QB

Margin of loss:

#16Iowa-1
@#7Baylor-2
OK State-7
@#4Boomer Sooner-1
@K-State-10
4.2 per game

Let's not make excuses.. This is the best case scenario for ND. ND could have easily got matched with someone like Bama and got smoked just like Michigan is going to get rolled in last game of the season and then have to wait 8 months to forget about it. ND must win this game as talent wise we are far superior to Iowa state coaching wise not so much..

ISU broke my heart in their game @Okla. They went for the win instead of OT but of course had to call timeout and let the Sooners rest their reeling defense.

Margin of loss:

#16Iowa-1
@#7Baylor-2
OK State-7
@#4Boomer Sooner-1
@K-State-10
4.2 per game

A lot of luck went against them for sure as the Cyclones were a play or two away in most of those games, but then again, those plays or two separate the tiers of teams.

—F/+ has Iowa St. at #22.
—Overall efficiency has them as 33rd on offense, 35th in defense. They’re not great at anything, but have no weaknesses.

Honestly, not too bad given their talent level.

We’re fsvored by 5.5 right now. Think it will go to 7 before game.

A lot of luck went against them for sure as the Cyclones were a play or two away in most of those games, but then again, those plays or two separate the tiers of teams.

—F/+ has Iowa St. at #22.
—Overall efficiency has them as 33rd on offense, 35th in defense. They’re not great at anything, but have no weaknesses.

Honestly, not too bad given their talent level.

We’re fsvored by 5.5 right now. Think it will go to 7 before game.
You must be Chase using those rankings all the time

You must be Chase using those rankings all the time

I’m not sure why the need for these aggressive comments and the ones that relate to advanced metrics/modern models. I agree with Chase about the viability of this model that takes into account more variables than any other and paints a picture of how every single school has used non-garbage possessions on offense and defense to create winning margins. No other model looks at so many variables. It is literally impossible for an eye test to take in so many variables into account.

I’m not sure if you’re an ND alum or not, but it seems strange to seem so close-minded about new ways of measuring how good a team is. Seems like going through ND’s undergrad program would open you up to looking at things differently than you’re used to and be open to that new paradigm. This model does NOT say team A will beat team B because one is ranked higher than the other in F/+, but rather that team A has done X per possession on offense and done Y per possession on defense against certain types of defenses, at home, on the road, adjusted for luck, etc. It paints the not complete picture of what a team has done. I work with data analytics professionally now and appreciate the depth of the model. I’m not sure what you do for work, but every industry now wants data, data, data, and the more of it, the better; any opinion not based on data is blown out the meeting room.

I disagree with Chase about where the program is and about what Kelly’s role in taking us further is. To be honest, I’m not sure. I was a freshman in 2007 when we were awful and became a laughingstock, and so I appreciate what Kelly has built. I also realize that we’re not at the level of the elite teams, but also realize we never may be given the limitations of whom we can recruit.

In any case, Go Irish.

Reactions: chaseball

Margin of loss:

#16Iowa-1
@#7Baylor-2
OK State-7
@#4Boomer Sooner-1
@K-State-10
4.2 per game

It should be a good game. ISU, having played both Oklahoma and Baylor very tough (and beat Texas as well), is not a typical 7-5 team. But we've played well in minor bowls under Kelly, so I'm optimistic we'll play well.

I’m not sure why the need for these aggressive comments and the ones that relate to advanced metrics/modern models. I agree with Chase about the viability of this model that takes into account more variables than any other and paints a picture of how every single school has used non-garbage possessions on offense and defense to create winning margins. No other model looks at so many variables. It is literally impossible for an eye test to take in so many variables into account.

I’m not sure if you’re an ND alum or not, but it seems strange to seem so close-minded about new ways of measuring how good a team is. Seems like going through ND’s undergrad program would open you up to looking at things differently than you’re used to and be open to that new paradigm. This model does NOT say team A will beat team B because one is ranked higher than the other in F/+, but rather that team A has done X per possession on offense and done Y per possession on defense against certain types of defenses, at home, on the road, adjusted for luck, etc. It paints the not complete picture of what a team has done. I work with data analytics professionally now and appreciate the depth of the model. I’m not sure what you do for work, but every industry now wants data, data, data, and the more of it, the better; any opinion not based on data is blown out the meeting room.

I disagree with Chase about where the program is and about what Kelly’s role in taking us further is. To be honest, I’m not sure. I was a freshman in 2007 when we were awful and became a laughingstock, and so I appreciate what Kelly has built. I also realize that we’re not at the level of the elite teams, but also realize we never may be given the limitations of whom we can recruit.

In any case, Go Irish.

I am not sure what you are saying. Other than implying that the op that you are posting about isn’t as open minded or as you or as smart as you because they probably didn’t go to Notre Dame for undergrad studies. But you aren’t aggressive but come across as passive aggressive. Maybe I got this wrong but I doubt it j

Frankly Iowa State has shown more against tougher opponents than we have. Do you guys really think we could hold it to a narrow loss against either Baylor or Oklahoma?

Margin of loss:

#16Iowa-1
@#7Baylor-2
OK State-7
@#4Boomer Sooner-1
@K-State-10
4.2 per game

Too expand on this, the Iowa game they made a lot of mistakes, and yet should have won. At Baylor the ISU sideline was over 120 degrees, and they lost on the last play of the game. OK State, Brock messed up and threw 3 interceptions. At OU, ISU went for the win in the last 30 seconds and missed the 2 point conversion. K-state, the wind was probably 50 mph, really messed with ISU throwing the ball. To be blunt, a disappointing season for ISU. You will get a look at Brock Purdy, he has 4000 yards this year, and will be Hyped for Heisman big time next year. His brother is Chuba, and he will be the QB at Louisville in the near future.

In any case, Go Irish.

I have zero quarrel with anyone in this debate, but I take issue with you constantly throwing that you're an ND alum in posters faces as if your opinion is suppose to somehow mean more because of it. I would say it's safe to assume that Notre Dames following is made up of an overwhelming majority of people who did not attend ND and would also assume that the number of fans in our fan base that aren't alum are far more in comparison to other programs. (Meaning our subway alums far our number any other program). So really why throw it around as many times as you do unless you're trying to gloat? In no way shape or form should that ever come up in a conversation about whether someone agrees with a post or not. F/+ is awful and I'm sorry you like it. It's not closed minded to study and then make a decision based on findings is it? @Golson5 has debunked this several times with facts that neither you or chase want to admit are, in fact a nail in this coffin.

Like I said, zero quarrel with you but it irritates the heck outta me how many times you've used your alum status as some measuring point for fandom and knowledge to come across as more "open minded" or in some way more aware. If you have done research on this f plus stuff and you still think it's valid, then that should pretty much some up what your football IQ is. And for those of us that disagree, it doesn't make us "close minded" in the slightest.

Reactions: francade
Too expand on this, the Iowa game they made a lot of mistakes, and yet should have won. At Baylor the ISU sideline was over 120 degrees, and they lost on the last play of the game. OK State, Brock messed up and threw 3 interceptions. At OU, ISU went for the win in the last 30 seconds and missed the 2 point conversion. K-state, the wind was probably 50 mph, really messed with ISU throwing the ball. To be blunt, a disappointing season for ISU. You will get a look at Brock Purdy, he has 4000 yards this year, and will be Hyped for Heisman big time next year. His brother is Chuba, and he will be the QB at Louisville in the near future.

It could be a great game. I just hope our team isn't as negative as us fans.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Easily. Georgia is better than both
BS. Georgia showed how weak it was when LSU cornholed them.
Imagine what LSU would do to us?
I doubt Georgia would beat either Baylor or Oklahoma. This was a down year for them.

BS. Georgia showed how weak it was when LSU cornholed them.
Imagine what LSU would do to us?
I doubt Georgia would beat either Baylor or Oklahoma. This was a down year for them.
Well I guess we will find out about how they'd do against Baylor in a few weeks.

Margin of loss:

#16Iowa-1
@#7Baylor-2
OK State-7
@#4Boomer Sooner-1
@K-State-10
4.2 per game

2nd coming of the Green Bay Packers! or the Buffalo Bills!

College football streets are littered with the decaying carcasses of uninterested and over confident teams who lost to opponents who were totally physically and mentally ready to take advantage of the situation. Irish...be careful. Cyclones are not Bowling Green. No disrespect to Bowling Green football.

some teams just go through the motions in the bowls (UGA in’18)
and
a lot of draft year guys are going to come down with the flu.

Does Baylor have anything on their resume besides a couple of good losses?

The story line is what is carrying them from my standpoint. I think they are getting a lot of credit for "rising from the ashes". I mean I've watched a lot of Big 12 Games and that comment is made every time they play.

You don't mind if we actually play the game first before awarding the trophy, do you?
According to many folks around here, the team won’t be up for this game. And if ND is not up for this game then they will lose. ISU is a talented team with many all B12 players.

According to many folks around here, the team won’t be up for this game. And if ND is not up for this game then they will lose. ISU is a talented team with many all B12 players.
By "many folks around here", if you're talking about posters on this free anonymous message board, I wouldn't put too much stock on what is said by the "many folks around here". They still can't figure out how their "sources" on the Urban to USC sure thing breaking news got to be so wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT