ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Stat: 52 of 62 & Kelly's Megaphone Dance

IRISHJD98

Posts Like A Champion
Jun 22, 2007
Chicago
Kelly ended last night's post game press conference by mentioning that 52 of the 62 guys that traveled to MSU should be returning next year. And I noticed that the announcers mentioned 18 first year guys getting decent playing time so far this year (9/True Fr. & 9 Redshirt Fr.)

The 52/62 number surprised me a bit (though it shouldn't have when I think about who I see playing). It seems like we were kind of a young team for the past two seasons. Though I haven't thought deeply about the numbers.

The number of first year players getting game reps makes sense. Its one of the benefits of winning by a wide margin and putting games away. It seems like there is also a new emphasis on developing depth through a regular rotation too.

Watching the team with Kelly in the locker room with the dancing and the Megaphone celebration showed me this team seems to be welcoming Kelly's leadership changes. Of course things are always better after a win, but it seemed like a genuine dynamic. Pretty obvious the dancing is outside Kelly's comfort zone, but he did it anyway and guys responded well. He seemed right at home grabbing the Megaphone though.

We never get the full story about what actually motivates transfers, and I'm sure some may be a good thing. But I have to wonder if Kelly's leadership changes and a healthy rotation of playing time will help with some of the attrition - whether via transfer or just mentally opting out - that we've seen for a while now.

Last edited:
Kelly ended last night's post game press conference by mentioning that 52 of the 62 guys that traveled to MSU should be returning next year. And I noticed that the announcers mentioned 18 first year guys getting decent playing time so far this year (9/True Fr. & 9 Redshirt Fr.)

The 52/62 number surprised me a bit (though it shouldn't have when I think about who I see playing). It seems like we were kind of a young team for the past two seasons. Though I haven't thought deeply about the numbers.

The number of first year players getting game reps makes sense. Its one of the benefits of winning by a wide margin and putting games away. It seems like there is also a new emphasis on developing depth through a regular rotation too.

Watching the team with Kelly in the locker room with the dancing and the Megaphone celebration showed me this team seems to be welcoming Kelly's leadership changes. Of course things are always better after a win, but it seemed like a genuine dynamic. Pretty obvious the dancing is outside Kelly's comfort zone, but he did it anyway and guys responded well. He seemed right at home grabbing the Megaphone though.

We never get the full story about what actually motivates transfers, and I'm sure some may be a good thing. But I have to wonder if Kelly's leadership changes and a healthy rotation of playing time will help with some of the attrition - whether via transfer or just mentally opting out - that we've seen for a while now.

Brian Kelly has gone insane... The last straw was when I ripped him after the Georgia game. He won't return my calls. He unfriended me on facebook. It was all part of my master plan. The Irish and Kelly will dominate the rest of the way. They have something to prove !!
https://www.diehards.com/notre-dame/watch-notre-dame-coach-brian-kelly-dances-win-michigan-state

The exit interviews Coach Kelly did with the players in 2016 revealed the team wanted Coach to spend time with them. Coach listened and brought in an OC who has a similar offensive philosophy and turned the keys to the offense over to him. It told me that there's a deep connection between the Coach and his players. I personally like the new Brian Kelly and I like this improving team a lot.

The exit interviews Coach Kelly did with the players in 2016 revealed the team wanted Coach to spend time with them. Coach listened and brought in an OC who has a similar offensive philosophy and turned the keys to the offense over to him. It told me that there's a deep connection between the Coach and his players. I personally like the new Brian Kelly and I like this improving team a lot.

It sounds like a coach showing what it means to be coachable.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Of the players that travelled last night and the departing seniors, I think Kelly is expecting to lose...

QB: Montgomery Vangorder
LT: Mike McGlinchey
LG: Quenton Nelson
G: Hunter Bivin
G: Jimmy Byrne
TE: Durham Smythe
DE: Andrew Trumbetti
DT: Pete Mokwuah
WR: Cam Smith
LB: Nyles Morgan
LB: Greer Martini
P: Tyler Newsome

5th year options are...
C: Sam Mustipher
RG: Alex Bars
TE: Nic Weishar
WR: Freddy Canteen (6th)
DE: Jay Hayes
DT: John Bonner
Rover: Drue Tranquill
CB: Nick Watkins

Potential early exists for the draft are...
RB: Josh Adams
WR: Equanimeous St. Brown
DT: Jerry Tillery

Without being omnipotent enough to know who will transfer it get injured, my starting group for 2018 looks like this...

QB: Brandon Wimbush
WR: EQ St. Brown
WR: Chase Claypool
WR: Kevin Stepherson
TE: Aliz'e Mack
LT: Liam Eichenberg
LG: Tommy Kraemer
RT: Robert Hainsey

SDE: Khalid Kareem
DT: John Bonner / MTA
NG: Jerry Tillery
WDE: Daelin Hayes
Buck: Asmar Bilal
Mike: Te'Von Coney
CB: Julian Love
CB: Shaun Crawford
FS: Nick Coleman
SS: Devin Srudstill

Obviously I'm projecting Jay Hayes and Nick Watkins to leave for the NFL without taking a 5th year. I hope I'm wrong and they stay because I thinkntje defense could take a step back next year losing Jay Hayes, Andrew Trumbetti, Nyles Morgan, Greer Martini and Nick Watkins. If they return, however, the defense could be excellent if ND can adequately replace their two senior inside backers....

New guys that I expect to be significant contributors in the defensive rotation next year include...

WDE: Julian Okwara
SDE: Ade Ogundeji
DT: Kurt Hinish
DT: Jayson Ademilola
Rover: Shayne Simon
CB: Donte Vaughn
S: Derrik Allen

Reactions: Ara64 and IRISHJD98
Of the players that travelled last night and the departing seniors, I think Kelly is expecting to lose...

5th year options are...

Without being omnipotent enough to know who will transfer it get injured, my starting group for 2018 looks like this...

Obviously I'm projecting Jay Hayes and Nick Watkins to leave for the NFL without taking a 5th year. I hope I'm wrong and they stay because I thinkntje defense could take a step back next year losing Jay Hayes, Andrew Trumbetti, Nyles Morgan, Greer Martini and Nick Watkins. If they return, however, the defense could be excellent if ND can adequately replace their two senior inside backers....

New guys that I expect to be significant contributors in the defensive rotation next year include...

Good list.

I think Josh Adams definately goes pro because of running backs short shelf life.

I think Jay Hayes stays to up his stock value.

I think there is a like a 40% chance Jerry Tillery comes back too.

5th year options are...

IIO. You are a demigod though

Good list.

I think Josh Adams definately goes pro because of running backs short shelf life.

I think Jay Hayes stays to up his stock value.

I think there is a like a 40% chance Jerry Tillery comes back too.

I think Tillery will return because of his love of education, I'm just not sure how much football means to him, and he's nowhere close to NFL ready. When J.T. wants to shine, he shines; but those moments are a rarity.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Right now, I don't see anyone leaving early. You don't leave early unless you're first or second round. Right now, I don't see anyone going in the first 2 rounds.

"We never get the full story about what actually motivates transfers, and I'm sure some may be a good thing. But I have to wonder if Kelly's leadership changes and a healthy rotation of playing time will help with some of the attrition - whether via transfer or just mentally opting out - that we've seen for a while now."

My guess is an obvious one -- playing time (and I am sure there are others), but under BVG, it seemed like there not not a lot of emphasis on player development, and guys were constantly under the gun to learn his complex system. Under Elko -- seems like a lot of guys are seeing action (recall many comments from the TV announcers that "ND is subbing in fresh bodies") -- feeling like you will get an opportunity like that will keep guys around longer -- and, could also help with the recruiting of players as they see this as well.

Ohio State does this very well, for the most part -- they are always bringing in fresh guys to a few snaps here and there -- and in the tight games -- players like to see that.....While they all want to "start" -- knowing they could also see significant snaps on a weekly basis helps as well.

Reactions: IRISHJD98
^^^ Its absolutely about development, but I think Elko has a good eye for seeing how to use the talent he has as he develops it too. Before BVG, the "Next Man In" mantra was about being ready in case the guy ahead of you got hurt or "needed a blow." Seems like Elko's approach is more, get ready because we will use you on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT