ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Ranking

Extirpate 6951

Irish Expert
Oct 27, 2016
Tropical Island or Western Ranch
ESPN’s Bill Connelly has released another version of his SP+ rankings for the 2021 season for all 130 teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision, this time with NFL departures, returning seniors and transfers factored into the equation. The formula he uses to compute them isn’t as bullish on Notre Dame’s outlook as most media outlets’ way-too-early top 25s.

The Irish are 25th in the preseason SP+, with an overall rating of 14.6. They’re 34th in offensive SP+ and 26th in defensive SP+.

ESPN’s Bill Connelly has released another version of his SP+ rankings for the 2021 season for all 130 teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision, this time with NFL departures, returning seniors and transfers factored into the equation. The formula he uses to compute them isn’t as bullish on Notre Dame’s outlook as most media outlets’ way-too-early top 25s.

The Irish are 25th in the preseason SP+, with an overall rating of 14.6. They’re 34th in offensive SP+ and 26th in defensive SP+.

Whatever happened to @Chaseball ? He was big on the SP rankings.

Reactions: Kelso86
I like it! I always like coming in with a low profile. Catch 'em off guard that way! All that matters is your W/L record at the end.

Apparently you didn't closely follow the postings on this board by @chaseball and some of his other advanced metrics disciples. They seemed to place little stock in W/L record, and instead followed SP+ (or whatever other metric was the flavor of the day) as the real measure of gridiron success.

Reactions: hvillebill
Lots of turnover on the offense and defense. They could be really bad or really good. They could be average. Truth is, no one really knows. Either way it’s going to be interesting to see how the season unfolds.

Reactions: Kelso86
It’s interesting how ESPN and Yahoo continually use headlines labeling ND as a down team or a school mired in yesteryear for clicks.

Yeah they should just focus on the past national championships that were won.
It’s just interesting that there is a constant string of stories on some variation of why the Irish won’t be relevant. See Yahoo today for example. Why write about irrelevance. Just odd. Your straw man and hyperbolic comment also suggests you are a dumb ass. But that’s not odd.

I actually agree with Connelly this time. 2/3 of the rankings are based on loss of production and ND will be losing:

Starting QB
2 starting Receivers
Most of the OL
2 top defensive Linemen
Best LB in the country

The challenge is can we replace them with guys who will generate similar production. If so, I think we have a good season. As said, it will be interesting.

Reactions: Kontiki09
This is an under promise over deliver waiting to happen. Love the low expectation and will enjoy our steady weekly rise in the standings.

I actually agree with Connelly this time. 2/3 of the rankings are based on loss of production and ND will be losing:

Starting QB
2 starting Receivers
Most of the OL
2 top defensive Linemen
Best LB in the country

The challenge is can we replace them with guys who will generate similar production. If so, I think we have a good season. As said, it will be interesting.
If you buy into that analysis, how do you have Bama #1. They lose three productive offensive skill guys who were Heisman finalists and likely high draft choices, plus another WR who will go in the first round.

I am not saying Bama shouldn't be #1 in reality, but they certainly shouldn't be #1 with that rationale.

Starting QB
2 starting Receivers
Most of the OL
2 top defensive Linemen
Best LB in the country

If you buy into that analysis, how do you have Bama #1. They lose three productive offensive skill guys who were Heisman finalists and likely high draft choices, plus another WR who will go in the first round.

I am not saying Bama shouldn't be #1 in reality, but they certainly shouldn't be #1 with that rationale.
Because that's only 1/3 of his formula.

1. Returning production.

2. Recent recruiting.

3. Recent history.

It’s just interesting that there is a constant string of stories on some variation of why the Irish won’t be relevant. See Yahoo today for example. Why write about irrelevance. Just odd. Your straw man and hyperbolic comment also suggests you are a dumb ass. But that’s not odd.
You recognize there is a difference between relevant with regards to popularity and relevant with regards to winning the championship right? People will write about popular subjects even though they aren't particularly important or valuable to an overall issue all the time. That is essentially what click bait is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT