ADVERTISEMENT

I'll say again ND Defense isnt athletic enough for a mobile QB. How Kollie hasn't seen the field is beyond me.

Kollie is not ready to play. He is clearly not reading things fast enough. Linebacker is a lot more than athleticism.

I think ND has enough team speed. They got out-schemed. That and Mickey didn’t play well.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Kollie is not ready to play. He is clearly not reading things fast enough. Linebacker is a lot more than athleticism.

I think ND has enough team speed. They got out-schemed. That and Mickey didn’t play well.
Says who? Kollie and Snead played against the triple option for crying out.

It’s like you guys almost understand the difference between an elite QB and a game manager … but then you just blame it on our defense.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
Says who? Kollie and Snead played against the triple option for crying out.
So what if they played against Navy? Notre Dame had a huge lead and Bertrand was out.

I break down the games and can see clear as day that he’s mentally not processing things fast enough. It was very clear against Stanford.

It’s like you guys almost understand the difference between an elite QB and a game manager … but then you just blame it on our defense.
38 points given up and ND could not get USC off the field. That’s all on the defense.

Outside of the fumble and pick, two admittedly big mess-ups, Pyne played well. 27 points. Only 3 legit possessions In the first half…because the defense couldn’t get USC off the field.

38 points given up and ND could not get USC off the field. That’s all on the defense.

Outside of the fumble and pick, two admittedly big mess-ups, Pyne played well. 27 points. Only 3 legit possessions In the first half…because the defense couldn’t get USC off the field.
You lost me at “outside of the fumble and the pick”

Williams made our defense bad, yes we agree on that. He’s done that to every team he’s played. It’s almost like Riley has multiple good options with this elite QB.

Williams made our defense bad, yes we agree on that. He’s done that to every team he’s played. It’s almost like Riley has multiple good options with this elite QB.
USC ran for 204 Yards and Williams only accounted for 35 of those 204 yards.

Maybe you should watch the video again !

👍

We don't. But we could get a offense that puts up 38 and we can play good D
Agreed. This was never going to be a 20-17 type game but maybe a 35-31 type game without some momentum changing mistakes. Down 17-7 in 3rd quarter and driving. Imagine scoring more than 7 in the first half and not putting the ball on the ground or throwing across your body into the defense in key moments and it’s a different game.

It was 5:17 in the fourth and down 31-21 when he threw the pick. He was trying to make a play and messed up. Its not like it was a pick six either.

He was 23-26, 316 yards, 3 TD’s and 1 INT. I expect to win games if the quarterback has that stat line. He made some excellent passes too. Not a very good running game to help out either.

I think poor defensive play and scheme was reason #1 ND lost. Easy zone reads and no one on the QB. Doesn’t matter who the QB is. No one was on him. Another play similar to zone read for an easy TD. Nobody there. Other blitzes…guesses.. almost no chance for the defense and poor tackling.

Reactions: francade
It was 5:17 in the fourth and down 31-21 when he threw the pick. He was trying to make a play and messed up. Its not like it was a pick six either.

He was 23-26, 316 yards, 3 TD’s and 1 INT. I expect to win games if the quarterback has that stat line. He made some excellent passes too. Not a very good running game to help out either.

I think poor defensive play and scheme was reason #1 ND lost. Easy zone reads and no one on the QB. Doesn’t matter who the QB is. No one was on him. Another play similar to zone read for an easy TD. Nobody there. Other blitzes…guesses.. almost no chance for the defense and poor tackling.
USC averages 43 ppg … ND scored 7 points in the first half and turned the ball over to open the 3rd quarter. Defense did not deliver the 20-17 win you were hoping for, I’ll grant you that. You are going to have to give some credit to Williams, he’s the reason USC is 11-1 and our QB (not our defense) is the reason we are 8-4.

Yes, defense wasn’t good enough today. Felt bad for #21. Too bad he had to play. USC exposed him. He couldn’t cover or tackle.
This. My frustration with Mickey turned to empathy fairly early in the game. SC isolated him and took advantage of that matchup all night. He looked even worse than Lewis in the Fiesta Bowl. That is the type of performance that a ton of guys don’t ever recover from.

USC averages 43 ppg … ND scored 7 points in the first half and turned the ball over to open the 3rd quarter. Defense did not deliver the 20-17 win you were hoping for, I’ll grant you that. You are going to have to give some credit to Williams, he’s the reason USC is 11-1 and our QB (not our defense) is the reason we are 8-4.

He’s a great QB. You brought up QB play in a defensive thread. I think ND’s QB played well enough to win and the defense didn’t. The USC offense ran all over ND. It wasn’t just Williams.

Reactions: NDDadx3
He’s a great QB. You brought up QB play in a defensive thread. I think ND’s QB played well enough to win and the defense didn’t.
I get what you’re saying but he didn’t. He made two bad turnovers at critical points in the game. CW made big throws, big scrambled and big RPO runs that kept SC comfortably ahead.

I get what you’re saying but he didn’t. He made two bad turnovers at critical points in the game. CW made big throws, big scrambled and big RPO runs that kept SC comfortably ahead.
Those were big mess-ups on his part, especially the fumble. No doubt.

Yeah you’re right he barely contributed except when he did. You really don’t understand football do you?
No, not at all, but I do understand game statistics, like TOP of 35 to 25 and USC running for 204 yards and other than one run, ND running for 66 yards on 25 carries.

So yeah, I really don’t understand football

No, not at all, but I do understand game statistics, like TOP of 35 to 25 and USC running for 204 yards and other than one run, ND running for 66 yards on 25 carries.

So yeah, I really don’t understand football
No You're an arrogant moron.

Caleb Williams delivered back breaking plays with his legs which wore the defense down and allowed their backs to really lean on a worn out D. You're pretending that he didn't by offering up rushing stats that are diluted by sack yardage BTW.

You can read a stat sheet, congrats! But are unable to decipher what it really means in the context of a football game.

No You're an arrogant moron.

Caleb Williams delivered back breaking plays with his legs which wore the defense down and allowed their backs to really lean on a worn out D. You're pretending that he didn't by offering up rushing stats that are diluted by sack yardage BTW.

You can read a stat sheet, congrats! But are unable to decipher what it really means in the context of a football game.
Yeah, that’s right, I understand statistics but not in the context of a football game, right ?

Like Time of Possession at 35-25 and running stats of 204 versus 90, what possible influence could they have on the outcome of a game.

I don‘t understand what they mean in the context of a football game, so since your an expert could you explain them to me ?

Thanks

Yeah, that’s right, I understand statistics but not in the context of a football game, right ?

Like Time of Possession at 35-25 and running stats of 204 versus 90, what possible influence could they have on the outcome of a game.

I don‘t understand what they mean in the context of a football game, so since your an expert could you explain them to me ?

Thanks
I already did. You’re too dense, and full of yourself.

Bad combo.

They played scared defense. Reminds me of the 2019 SC game

Reactions: francade

That bay be true but liafau is a liability. He blitzes 90% of the time abs gets blown up by a blocker, horrible on rush defense.

Reactions: Golson5
Drew Pyne was 23-26 for 318 yard and 3 TD passes. Jesus Christ, enough with the Pyne bashing.....
And two critical turnovers when it was still a game. Not bashing just being honest. The int throwing back across his body into the middle of the field in game 12 is as bad as it gets. ND offense put up 7 points in the first 2 and a half quarters. That’s not enough when your facing an offense that puts up 43 ppg. Pyne did some good things today but CW is a game changer. This thread is discussing CW elite play shredding our defense. Welcome to the thread.

Last edited:
USC ran for 204 Yards and Williams only accounted for 35 of those 204 yards.

Maybe you should watch the video again !
True. But Williams had about 300 yards running around the backfield before making a big throw. As another poster said. We should have had one guy spy him all game . We didn’t.

And two critical turnovers when it was still a game. Not bashing just being honest. The int throwing back across his body into the middle of the field in game 12 is as bad as it gets. ND offense put up 7 points in the first 2 and a half quarters. That’s not enough when your facing an offense that puts up 43 ppg. Pyne did some good things today but CW is a game changer. This thread is discussing CW elite play shredding our defense. Welcome to the thread.
He was literally on his way to a perfect game. Until he underthrew Lenzy, I think it was, and it was like, there's the old shitty Drew Pyne again... why can't that guy compete every single pass in a football game, is that too much to ask for him to bo 100% completion??? I don't think so, I don't think it's too much, so I put all the blame on him.

Yeah, so, I think everyone knows DP is not some elite NFL talent, and that if anything TR gameplans around him too crudely and blatantly, like a young, stupid OC like Rees might do. But we didn't lose because of Pyne. You're angrily fantasizing that if we had Trevor Lawrence back there that everything would be fine and we could have won and maybe that's true. But nevertheless we didn't lose because of DP and he's not the one to be pointing the finger at AT ALL......

I mean, come on man....

He was literally on his way to a perfect game. Until he underthrew Lenzy, I think it was, and it was like, there's the old shitty Drew Pyne again... why can't that guy compete every single pass in a football game, is that too much to ask for him to bo 100% completion??? I don't think so, I don't think it's too much, so I put all the blame on him.

Yeah, so, I think everyone knows DP is not some elite NFL talent, and that if anything TR gameplans around him too crudely and blatantly, like a young, stupid OC like Rees might do. But we didn't lose because of Pyne. You're angrily fantasizing that if we had Trevor Lawrence back there that everything would be fine and we could have won and maybe that's true. But nevertheless we didn't lose because of DP and he's not the one to be pointing the finger at AT ALL......

I mean, come on man....
Yards and first downs were just about even (USC had one more first down and 25 more yards than ND). ND lost turnover 2-0 and both were costly turnovers that probably cost points. We scored 7 points in the first half. Did DP lose the game for ND? No, not single handedly. Did he make some excellent throws to Mayer and Colzie, yes he did. But our QB couldn’t win us this game and theirs could. It’s a tired theme for ND over the last 15 years. Go Irish. Win a bowl game and keep getting better.

Usc made ND look less athletic then they are. The defense played different then they did all season vs USC. it appeared that some guys didn't know their assignments (Marist) and the secondary was playing extremely slow. That's usually a sign of not understanding their assignment. I like golden, but this was a scheme mistake. Over thinking and scheming took away almost all of our aggressiveness.

One major issue that has to get better is we need bigger guys in the middle. All season our dts have gotten worn down due to their small size and lack of rotation. We have to get more beef on the dl to free up the linebackers.

The secondary is still a major concern. Morrison and Hart the best 1-2 punch we have had at cornerback in a long time...but the game now really requires three. We are still behind there, the talent we have coming in hopefully will help here.

The safeties are liabilities, but watt is getting better. I won't be shocked if two freshmen play a lot of safety for us next year.

Usc made ND look less athletic then they are. The defense played different then they did all season vs USC. it appeared that some guys didn't know their assignments (Marist) and the secondary was playing extremely slow. That's usually a sign of not understanding their assignment. I like golden, but this was a scheme mistake. Over thinking and scheming took away almost all of our aggressiveness.

One major issue that has to get better is we need bigger guys in the middle. All season our dts have gotten worn down due to their small size and lack of rotation. We have to get more beef on the dl to free up the linebackers.

The secondary is still a major concern. Morrison and Hart the best 1-2 punch we have had at cornerback in a long time...but the game now really requires three. We are still behind there, the talent we have coming in hopefully will help here.

The safeties are liabilities, but watt is getting better. I won't be shocked if two freshmen play a lot of safety for us next year.
The only area they looked less athletic is at LB and DE. ND WR and TE made more plays than USC's.

Yards and first downs were just about even (USC had one more first down and 25 more yards than ND). ND lost turnover 2-0 and both were costly turnovers that probably cost points. We scored 7 points in the first half. Did DP lose the game for ND? No, not single handedly. Did he make some excellent throws to Mayer and Colzie, yes he did. But our QB couldn’t win us this game and theirs could. It’s a tired theme for ND over the last 15 years. Go Irish. Win a bowl game and keep getting better.
You gotta stop, man. Seriously, it's played out. I know that if we had a better QB, if we had Caleb Williams on our team, someone that good, that maybe we would have won that game, and maybe we'd be undefeated right now, because that's what happens when you have superstars on your team, superstar QBs no less.....

But that doesn't mean you blame our current QB, who is indeed mediocre in his pure talent and tools, and yet nevertheless put up outright Heisman caliber numbers himself vs USC last night. So I don't know why we lost the game yesterday, only the football gods know the answer to mysteries like that, but Drew Pyne was certainly not the reason. I would blame the defense. That was always where the game was going to be won or lost, and our defense did NOT rise up and hold them into the 20s. And Drew Pyne absolutely delivered and played a fairly phenomenal game, and there really wasn't much more he could have done short of being literally 100% perfect.

In any case, the DP bashing has gotten out of hand. USC was just straight better than us, end of story. And hypothesizing about how we might have won if some mythical better player was on the roster is what losers do, no offense. Pyne cost us the Stanford game, maybe you could make that argument if you were so inclined. He did not cost us last night in any way shape or form. He helped keep it as competitive as it was is what he did....

Oh, and I don't imagine we're going to be taking a portal QB, if that makes you feel any better. And Drew Pyne could easily be our starter next season as well....

ADVERTISEMENT