ADVERTISEMENT

If you can’t run the ball

That’s not just one game, it’s just one game I chose to cite.

How about ND vs Clemson, 88 yards in 35 attempts for 2.5 per attempt.
How’d the lack of a running game work out in that game ?
I keep going back to the 2012 National Championship Game between Notre Dame and Alabama. Alabama had a stud offensive line, and two horses at running back that ran on us at will. If we could run like Alabama, we kick ass

I keep going back to the 2012 National Championship Game between Notre Dame and Alabama. Alabama had a stud offensive line, and two horses at running back that ran on us at will. If we could run like Alabama, we kick ass
Oh but how yee forgeteth

Alabama in 12 was still running a conventional type offense.
They hadn't yet succumbed to the trendy offensive style of the spread/ zone read Mickey mouse horseshit.

You want to see something funny?

What do we see here? A conventional offense using a wing or fullback at times, misdirection, play action, etc.

Now this would be fine but the problem is BK does NOT have the personnel to run such a scheme.
Most importantly BK will never run an offense he'd certainly consider primitive. Never ever ever ever ever.

I've said for a long time now if some coach like a Tom Osborne type were to come in and get the right recruits he'd have a field day.

Defenses are not set up to stop that type of power football.
The key here is the formations. Running out if the spread is NOT the same as running from a more conventional formation. Moreover it's actually worse.
Why? You're spread out. If the D wont respect deep passing then they can play down hill against you.
And look at all that open space for the D to swarm.
It's always much harder to get a hat on a defender to block him in wide open spaces.
Particularly the safeties. The safeties aren't worried about over the top and nor should they be.

Do NOT discount the lazy uninspired and robotic offense we run too. There is no hustle...there is little exuberance. After a big play it's anticlimactic.

We're stuck in no man's land.
We go no huddle like we're going to hurry up but we don't hurry. We snap the ball with 12 or 10 seconds left on the clock. Sometimes 15 but not often.
This is definitely by design but it's a dumbass design. You not only allow the defense to get into a substitution rhythm but it also puts our offense into a zombie like rhythm.

Look at the usual suspects of the playoffs.

OSU, Clemson, Bama, OU

Big play city. Yes they play defense and some better than others but on offense it's explosive plays.
When you back the defense off with big plays it now allows you room for running plays. You force the defense to play even footed....and god forbid force them to play on their heels at times too.

We don't do any of that!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT