ADVERTISEMENT

If UGA beats Bama in SEC title

GoldCountryND

Irish Expert
Sep 8, 2018
where would Georgia be ranked? I’m guessing Clemson moves to 1, ND 2, UGA 3 and Bama/UM is 4? That 4th spot is going be crazy and I’m not sure UGA doesn’t possibly move to 2 if they beat Bama? Not saying it’s right to jump ND but if we are 2/3 it really doesn’t matter at all.
Going to be crazy last few weeks if some of the top 4 lose.

If it's between UM and Bama for that 4th spot, that's a nightmare for the committee. If ND is #2 and UGA #3 then they both have "good" losses. Then looking at the teams they beat Bama has a victory on the road at LSU, but then Michigan would have a big victory against OSU on the road as well. I think committee would just have to ask themselves who they think is the better team. I suspect most would say Bama. Or maybe they'll just flip a coin. Good luck explaining this to the team and its fans that are left out.

If it's between UM and Bama for that 4th spot, that's a nightmare for the committee. If ND is #2 and UGA #3 then they both have "good" losses. Then looking at the teams they beat Bama has a victory on the road at LSU, but then Michigan would have a big victory against OSU on the road as well. I think committee would just have to ask themselves who they think is the better team. I suspect most would say Bama. Or maybe they'll just flip a coin. Good luck explaining this to the team and its fans that are left out.

"Or maybe they'll just flip a coin. Good luck explaining this to the team and its fans that are left out."

Especially if they were to leave a 12-0 ND team out!

If that scenario played out, there would be no easy choice.... every team would have a legit argument if they were left out. I would predict them to leave out ND as the only common denominator between every other team is they at least had to play in a conference championship game.

What's funny about this scenario is that this would be easy if we still had the BCS. It'd be Clemson vs. ND for the title. Can't see why anybody could debate otherwise. So much for the playoff model making things easier.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
If that scenario played out, there would be no easy choice.... every team would have a legit argument if they were left out. I would predict them to leave out ND as the only common denominator between every other team is they at least had to play in a conference championship game.
ND would have beaten 2 conf champs, possibly 3, and beaten a common opp in NW with MoV being higher than the scUM/NW game. No way does an unbeaten Irish team get left out

Reactions: cancandodo
That requires putting Michigan ahead of undefeated ND. Don't see that happening.

That requires putting Michigan ahead of undefeated ND. Don't see that happening.
I dont see it happening, but I think it could. Like I said, some school would be getting screwed in this scenario.... and the one common denominator would be that the other 4 had to play an extra game and ND didn't.

Not trying to make an argument here, I could just see that happening if in fact this scenario did play out.

I dont see it happening, but I think it could. Like I said, some school would be getting screwed in this scenario.... and the one common denominator would be that the other 4 had to play an extra game and ND didn't.

Not trying to make an argument here, I could just see that happening if in fact this scenario did play out.
Doesn’t matter. ND would get in. The hard part would be where they’d go 2,3, or 4. I would guess #2 with wins over Cuse and USC. Either way, we’d be in and I am almost positive Michigan would be out, not Bama.

Reactions: d1042
thumb_yeah-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-ma-memegenerator-net-during-36046245.png

Not a hard choice. Committee knows Bama is better than UM. A 1 loss Bama should get in and UM should be out. I’d personally love to see this.

Michigan would be more deserving than Bama in that scenario. And their resume would be better, too. Their conference title should be the tiebreaker.

This discussion is ridiculous. Any secenario where a one loss Michigan gets in over a undefeated or one loss Notre Dame is a waste of breath and if it happened should be the end of the NCAA and the playoff system.

Whatever anyone wants to say, ND didn’t just beat Michigan, they pounded them. The garbage TDs at the end of the game make the score look close, but anyone that watched that game could see Michigan took it in the chin all day. Oh and it happened with ND’s backup Quarterback and RB. Michigan likes to think they’re the only team that improves as the season goes on, to that I say, “Not so fast my friend”.

Secondly, I simply don’t see the strength of schedule that pushes Michigan ahead of ND? Is it the wins over the powerhouse teams of Western Michigan, SMU, Rutgers, Nebraska, Maryland, MSU and Wisconsin. Non of these teams are ranked. They have a ranked PSU team that is terribly overaated. And pulled out a late win agains a Northwestern team that ND pounded.

Go Irish! To hell with Michigan!

Michigan would be more deserving than Bama in that scenario. And their resume would be better, too. Their conference title should be the tiebreaker.

That’s what I struggle with. I think UM would be more deserving but would you say they are better than Bama? Bama would still be a favorite over everyone in the playoff even with a loss to UGA. Man that’s a tough call.

How would Michigan's resume be more impressive?

They’d have more ranked wins (Ohio St, Penn State, Northwestern). Alabama would only have two (LSU, Miss St). And they’d have a conference title.

That’s what I struggle with. I think UM would be more deserving but would you say they are better than Bama? Bama would still be a favorite over everyone in the playoff even with a loss to UGA. Man that’s a tough call.

Who’s better is subjective. Who has a better resume is objective. I think the objective measurement should be used. And anyways, why should they take 2 SEC over a 12-1 Big Ten champion? That just wouldn’t be right. Alabama would have nothing to complain about; they lost their CC game.

This discussion is ridiculous. Any secenario where a one loss Michigan gets in over a undefeated or one loss Notre Dame is a waste of breath and if it happened should be the end of the NCAA and the playoff system.

Whatever anyone wants to say, ND didn’t just beat Michigan, they pounded them. The garbage TDs at the end of the game make the score look close, but anyone that watched that game could see Michigan took it in the chin all day. Oh and it happened with ND’s backup Quarterback and RB. Michigan likes to think they’re the only team that improves as the season goes on, to that I say, “Not so fast my friend”.

Secondly, I simply don’t see the strength of schedule that pushes Michigan ahead of ND? Is it the wins over the powerhouse teams of Western Michigan, SMU, Rutgers, Nebraska, Maryland, MSU and Wisconsin. Non of these teams are ranked. They have a ranked PSU team that is terribly overaated. And pulled out a late win agains a Northwestern team that ND pounded.

Go Irish! To hell with Michigan!
One of the tiebreakers is when a loss occurs. A loss at the end of the season is more damning than a loss at the beginning. If ND losses a game and UM wins out, I think they are in. What you are saying poll wise is that a #3 ND loses a game and does not budge in the polls.

That all said as a UM fan I am rooting for ND to win out. My reasoning is UM has to win out to get in. If ND loses better chance for Alabama to get in with one loss. If ND wins out and UM wins out would like to take my chances with the committee stuck between figuring out UM verses Alabama.

And I'm certainly no Michigan fan, but in the past, when a non-conference winner got in (like 11-1 Alabama last year), it was because the next team out was 11-2 Ohio State, which had lost by 30 to Iowa. But with 12-1 P5 conference winners available (there could be several), I don't think an Alabama that lost its CC game should get in over them. I don't care whether they won every other game 100-0.

And I'm certainly no Michigan fan, but in the past, when a non-conference winner got in (like 11-1 Alabama last year), it was because the next team out was 11-2 Ohio State, which had lost by 30 to Iowa. But with 12-1 P5 conference winners available (there could be several), I don't think an Alabama that lost its CC game should get in over them. I don't care whether they won every other game 100-0.

A lot of people will think that way. Don't count on the committee to think that way.

some conference championships are more equal than others

For example Big 12 and Pac 10 - whoever wins those are not exactly world beaters.

Big 10. Meh

SEC better but over rated.

Winning the Big 10 is NOT as impressive as winning the SEC.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
some conference championships are more equal than others

For example Big 12 and Pac 10 - whoever wins those are not exactly world beaters.

Big 10. Meh

SEC better but over rated.

Winning the Big 10 is NOT as impressive as winning the SEC.
Then what conference really was impressive? You have just stated that Big12, Pac10, and Big10 and SEC not great. That leaves the ACC which many think is underwhelming this year.

The reality is if you have a normal distribution you rarely will have a bunch of great teams in one conference. One of the impacts of Alabama and to a lesser extent Georgia is other in conference teams are suffering because a player where a NC is of importance will choose the winners. Likewise certain coaches who don't think they can compete will look elsewhere. So the Alpha Dog has no competitors because it is easier to run away than compete or for players join.

The Big10 could have been tougher. Wisc suffered catastrophic injuries to the edge of their defense, and MSU/PSU depended too much on their QB's running and both got hurt. I thought it was interesting how UM chose to run Patterson only in the games that mattered. I suspect not running Patterson against ND was a hedge because they knew UM would lose and losing Patterson early was not worth the risk of a small chance at victory. Yet the zone read came out for the Wisc/MSU/PSU stretch and then got packed in against Rutgers. McSorely was running against Illinois which was a mistake.

Then what conference really was impressive? You have just stated that Big12, Pac10, and Big10 and SEC not great. That leaves the ACC which many think is underwhelming this year.

The reality is if you have a normal distribution you rarely will have a bunch of great teams in one conference. One of the impacts of Alabama and to a lesser extent Georgia is other in conference teams are suffering because a player where a NC is of importance will choose the winners. Likewise certain coaches who don't think they can compete will look elsewhere. So the Alpha Dog has no competitors because it is easier to run away than compete or for players join.

The Big10 could have been tougher. Wisc suffered catastrophic injuries to the edge of their defense, and MSU/PSU depended too much on their QB's running and both got hurt. I thought it was interesting how UM chose to run Patterson only in the games that mattered. I suspect not running Patterson against ND was a hedge because they knew UM would lose and losing Patterson early was not worth the risk of a small chance at victory. Yet the zone read came out for the Wisc/MSU/PSU stretch and then got packed in against Rutgers. McSorely was running against Illinois which was a mistake.
The Pac 12 and ACC will have three loss, maybe four loss, teams in their championship game. The Big 10 will have a four loss team that went 0-3 in non-conference, including a loss to Akron, in its championship game. Too early to tell on the Big 12, probably a one loss team v a two loss team. The SEC will have an undefeated team versus an 11-1 team. Big advantage to the SEC this year in that department.

the problem for michigan may be the fact that their opponent in the Big 10 championship game lost all their out of conference games including one to akron. winning that game won't move the needle much if at all.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
the problem for michigan may be the fact that their opponent in the Big 10 championship game lost all their out of conference games including one to akron. winning that game won't move the needle much if at all.
Considering that the Big10 west champion has never won a game does that matter? It just confirms that the Big10 has a massive division imbalance. I'm hoping Scot Frost can be part of the solution for the future. I agree winning the Big10 CCG is just a formality for the East winner. But beating OSU in Columbus does move the needle.

If UM gets frozen out in that situation because a one loss Bama gets in it will reaffirm that scheduling difficult non conference away games is a lose/lose proposition.

Reactions: tbonesays

Conference titles are one of the Committee's listed criteria.

ADVERTISEMENT