ADVERTISEMENT

If ND beat Michigan

bizzybecknd

Posts Like A Champion
Oct 24, 2005
Clearly this wasn’t close and an embarrassment but for hypothetical sake, if ND wins this game- do you see them sneaking into the playoff?

1 loss ND with a big win on the road vs Mich and only loss to SEC finalist GA vs. OKL with OT win against Baylor 3rd string QB and loss to K st. I like ND for the 4th spot with SEC screaming GA beat ND.

Reactions: Ara64
Don't rack your brains too hard on this one fellas. ND lost the game so we will never know.

What people need to ask themselves instead of doing these hypothetical examples is "is ND a top 4 team in college football?" Because that really gets down to the nuts and bolts of what it takes...And the answer to that question is obvious.

Next post ..

If ND could switch their 85 man roster with Alabama would they be a better team in 2020?

Point being both are as unlikely so it's a silly hypothetical to speculate on.

This topic just feels like another one of those "BK has ND right there .. just need beat Michigan" .. and for whatever reason, after 10 years, it just drives me crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TOMMY_23 and 88ND
Hard to separate the two questions chase. Obviously you are right. If they’re not good enough to beat Michigan they are clearly not a top 4 team. The other question is still valid though. IMO they are still not top 4 even if they beat Michigan. Of course, you need to know I don’t think OK is top 4 either

What people need to ask themselves instead of doing these hypothetical examples, is "is ND a top 4 team in college football?" Because that really gets down to the nuts and bolts of what it would take to be a playoff caliber program.

And the answer to that question is obvious.

Yet, every year there are “paper” Top4 teams that don’t get in. There’s no harm in wondering “what if.” It may not be your cup of tea, but it creates a different conversation that some people enjoy discussing.

what part of “for hypothetical sake” didn’t you understand Cpt Obvious?

yes OP, I think ND would be in over OU.
Take a chill pill Clyde. I have no interest in getting in a pissing match over something stupid. If you want to clunk heads and mull this hypothetical over for the next month, then do so.

Take a chill pill Clyde. I have no interest in getting in a pissing match over something stupid. If you want to clunk heads and mull this hypothetical over for the next month, then do so.

Thanks for giving your permission to discuss something hypothetical although I don’t think the OP needed it, Sally.

Thanks for giving your permission to discuss something hypothetical although I don’t think the OP needed it, Sally.
You youngsters like to start crap over the tiniest dumbest things. Take a look all over this board. This social media experiment is almost like middle school, minus the parent-teacher conference.

You youngsters like to start crap over the tiniest dumbest things. Take a look all over this board. This social media experiment is almost like middle school, minus the parent-teacher conference.

and you old crusty farts can’t stop coming into every discussion (on Social Media) to let everyone know you’re displeased with others thoughts/topics. Here’s a tip grandpa, turn off your computer if you don’t like it or start some posts about things you want to discuss. Now go yell at the neighborhood kids for being on your grass.

Reactions: Leahylads
Next post ..

If ND could switch their 85 man roster with Alabama would they be a better team in 2020?

Point being both are as unlikely so it's a silly hypothetical to speculate on.

This topic just feels like another one of those "BK has ND right there .. just need beat Michigan" .. and for whatever reason, after 10 years, it just drives me crazy.

Oh yea and almost forgot, I would have LOVED ND to beat a 10-15th ranked Michigan team, and "slide" into the #4 spot so that they could get ran over/ran off the field before the end of the 2nd quarter at the hands of LSU.

Better to have been there and lost than not there at all IMO. Ducking top competition is cowardly.

I agree 100%.

Point being ND belongs nowhere near the playoff/the top 4 of playoff teams/regardless if they lucked into a #4 seed by beating Michigan.

I agree 100%.

Point being ND belongs nowhere near the playoff/the top 4 of playoff teams/regardless if they lucked into a #4 seed by beating Michigan.

nobody is in OSU/LSU’s class this year. ND is still only a fringe Top10 team though. You’re right about that.

nobody is in OSU/LSU’s class this year. ND is still only a fringe Top10 team though. You’re right about that.
Why does everybody round up when talking about NDs program?

ND is ranked 15th on aggregate by most reputable polls this year. They had a pre-season ranking of 12th. They recruited the 16th ranked class last year and had the 14th ranked 85-man roster in the country coming into the 2019 season.

This is not a "outside the fringe top 10 team" this is a 15th or so ranked team multiple tiers away from the top which has been the case for the large majority of BKs tenure.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Why does everybody round up when talking about NDs program?

ND is ranked 15th on aggregate by most reputable polls this year. They had a pre-season ranking of 12th. They recruited the 16th ranked class last year and had the 14th ranked talent in the country coming into the 2019 season.

This is not a "outside the fringe top 10 team" this is a 15th or so ranked team multiple tiers away from the top.

IMO, they’re as strong as the teams right around the Top10 currently.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
IMO, they’re as strong as the teams right around the Top10 currently.
Under what measurement?

ND beat 0 teams with a ranking above 20th this year.

They benefited from an atrociously bad schedule and still almost lost 3-4 games.

This is not a playoff team. This is not a juggernaut on the cusp of greatness. This is not even a "really good" team most years.

This is a low 2nd/high 3rd tier P5 program who has benefited from a tremendous amount of luck over the last two seasons that has manifested in a much stronger W/L record than deserves. And ALL of the underlying metrics show that.

The only ones who don't see this/believe this are delusional ND fans.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Under what measurement?

They benefited from an atrociously bad schedule and still almost lost 3-4 games.

This is not a playoff team. This is not a juggernaut on the cusp of greatness. This is not even a "really good" team most years.

This is a low 2nd/high 3rd tier P5 program who has benefited from a tremendous amount of luck over the last two seasons that has manifested in a much stronger W/L record than deserves. And ALL of the underlying metrics show that.

Ouch!

In this situation, Michigan would be an 8-4 team ranked between 20-25. That win wouldn't be all that impressive. I don't see why that would get ND in over Oklahoma.

What people need to ask themselves instead of doing these hypothetical examples is "is ND a top 4 team in college football?" Because that really gets down to the nuts and bolts of what it takes...And the answer to that question is obvious.
Man this thread isn't about you. Pay attention.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Oh yea and almost forgot, I would have LOVED ND to beat a 10-15th ranked Michigan team, and "slide" into the #4 spot so that they could get ran over/ran off the field before the end of the 2nd quarter at the hands of LSU.
They don't even make the 2nd quarter. The NCAA actually phones the replay booth to buzz the umpire, then says we must start a mercy clock by the first TV timeout.
LSU 77 ND 3
11 minutes to go first quarter.

If we beat Michigan would we be getting in the playoff?

Yes... but only under one condition.
We would've had to blow away nearly all opponents with such the daisy schedule.
We didn't do that and it would've hurt us.

Under what measurement?

Your shit is really getting old. Why do you bother pretending to be an Irish fan? Jesus enough mr glass half empty every gdamn day.

Reactions: Kelso86
Post wasn’t about if ND is belongs, F/P and recruiting rankings nor how’d they fare against LSU. more curious how the selection committee would have viewed ND/OU.. think it would have come down to the 2.

OU beat Baylor twice and Ok St for their only top 25 wins. OU has never won a playoff game and seemingly belongs in the the 6–10 group where they don’t have enough to compete against the top 3.

Clearly this wasn’t close and an embarrassment but for hypothetical sake, if ND wins this game- do you see them sneaking into the playoff?

"Clearly this wasn’t close and an embarrassment but for hypothetical sake, if ND wins this game- do you see them sneaking into the playoff?"

Based on the 4 who are in -- they would have been very much in the discussion, but in the end, probably would have lost out to Oklahoma. BUT, ND would probably be at #5, at worse #6 -- and playing in a NY 6 game.

They don't even make the 2nd quarter. The NCAA actually phones the replay booth to buzz the umpire, then says we must start a mercy clock by the first TV timeout.
LSU 77 ND 3
11 minutes to go first quarter.

Wake me up when this senseless rant is over....

ADVERTISEMENT