ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Book to the Saints

Yeah, on one of the other free boards, there was a bunch of snarky losers trying to downplay all of Brees' recent complimentary praise of Book as just marketing. There's no way Drew Brees could actually mean all those nice things he was saying about Ian Book, he's just trying to be gracious around ND fans now that he's taking over in the booth....

Apparently not as the Saints appear to be willing to spend a 4th round pick on the chance than Book can become Brees' successor. Anyways, awesome news for Ian Book, and on the face of it at least, it looks like a pretty welcoming situation for him to be walking into, for obvious reasons.....

He is going to have a great head coach. Wish Brees would have stuck around one more year to show Ian the ropes, but then again the Saints might not have drafted him.

Reactions: IrishMike409
He is going to have a great head coach. Wish Brees would have stuck around one more year to show Ian the ropes, but then again the Saints might not have drafted him.
Agree, Brees would have been a great mentor.

It may be a good Coach-QB fit

Reactions: Chest Brockwell
Surprised as hell, but really happy for this young man. As others have stated, not sure there is a better team or better head coach for Ian. Personally did not believe he would be drafted, so enjoying some humble pie right now!

Shows you the NFL is a quarterback league. Teams are always searching for a QB or quality back up. Darnold is out of town after 3 years. I remember when the norm was for a guy to sit 2 years before playing.

After the gun-to-the-head apology for saying he stands for the National Anthem I'm surprised that Brees played in Nola for 2020.

Surprised as hell, but really happy for this young man. As others have stated, not sure there is a better team or better head coach for Ian. Personally did not believe he would be drafted, so enjoying some humble pie right now!
Well you were not alone. Most predicted 7th round or not at all. I'm glad I was wrong too!

I am thrilled for Ian. He has his shot and I hope it makes the most of it. A guy I know from HS was drafted in the sixth round. He spent nine years in the NFL mainly with Houston where he started on the O-line. He took the opportunity and was successful. I'm betting Ian will too.

I am thrilled for Ian. He has his shot and I hope it makes the most of it. A guy I know from HS was drafted in the sixth round. He spent nine years in the NFL mainly with Houston where he started on the O-line. He took the opportunity and was successful. I'm betting Ian will too.
In this case it's even one level above that. He's a 4th round pick. And he's going to the Saints, in the immediate aftermath of Brees' retirement, as a player that Book would be very naturally compared to.

So this is not quite the same as going in the 1st or 2nd round, but I feel like qualifying Book's NFL prospects, post-draft, as more than a random team taking a flyer on somebody in the 6th or 7th round. I'm guessing NO targeted Book specifically, and are very interested in the prospect of him eventually becoming Brees' successor, and like I say this is more than just a late-round flyer.

So this is a very happy day for Ian Book...

Congrats to Book. Must admit, I didn't think he'd get drafted. Thought he might be a UDFA. I just don't think his arm's good enough for the NFL (and his lack of height, too). But I hope he makes it with the Saints.

After the gun-to-the-head apology for saying he stands for the National Anthem I'm surprised that Brees played in Nola for 2020.

WHY ?
Congrats to Book. Must admit, I didn't think he'd get drafted. Thought he might be a UDFA. I just don't think his arm's good enough for the NFL (and his lack of height, too). But I hope he makes it with the Saints.

Book is 6’0”

Brees is 6’0”

Russell Wilson is 5’11”

WHY do the Saints think his arm is good enough ?

What do you know that the Saints don’t know ?

He was actually listed on one of the channels at 5-11 3/4. He just keeps getting shorter and shorter!

I don’t think Ian has physical limitations with respect to what is required of championship college football or to be successful in the NFL. I Think his biggest obstacle will be overcoming his risk adverse instincts, and that’s no small task.

WHY ?

Book is 6’0”

Brees is 6’0”

Russell Wilson is 5’11”

WHY do the Saints think his arm is good enough ?

What do you know that the Saints don’t know ?
Brees and Wilson are exceptional talents, though. They’re unusual. Most NFL QBs are taller than that.

Surround Ian with quality receivers and he'll be alright. Ian's greatest gift is he knows how to win football games. You can't teach it- it's in a players DNA.

Reactions: Pennick4
Some people think Ian's big problem, if you want to look at it that way, is that he's too risk averse. And I would tend to agree with that, though it's just a guess, I don't know what goes on in his noggin every time he drops back to pass. I personally think being so-called risk-averse is a massively good trait to have for an NFL QB. And is a huge asset, and is one of the main reasons the Saints/Sean Payton like him. Because of that innate sense of responsibility. You still have to be able to make the throws you need to make, and have the gumption and the gonads to stand and deliver and not just take off and run. The degree to which Book is denigrated for not standing tall in the pocket like Johnny Unitas on every down is of course a joke, and not much more than a hater's stick to beat him with.

But there is certainly room for improvement, and I see no reason why, as a full professional with the opportunity to hone his craft all day every day, working with someone like Sean Peyton who I would imagine would absolutely LOVE to have unearthed another Drew Brees, he can't make quantum leaps in expanding his comfort zone and becoming a fully capable NFL QB. Doesn't mean he'll pull it off or not. But I say the potential is there without any doubt. And Ian Book is probably pinching himself to get this particular opportunity. And Book seems to me like such a high character guy, that I'm expecting him to make it in the NFL. And that he's got what it takes to make the leap.... But I love the guy and am definitely biased in his favor.

Once again you are wrong. Stop embarrassing yourself.
You dont watch NFL football. You really don't have a clue. Brees is known for his mind and his deadly accuracy. He does not have a big arm. Enough, you are embarrassing yourself

For the NFL his arm strength is average at best. But if Tom Brady didn’t exist, Brees would be the GOAT right now, so clearly it takes more than great arm strength.
Yes average at best thats true. But Brees wpuld not be considered GOAT with no Tom Brady. Hes below Peyton and Rodgers in his own era

You dont watch NFL football. You really don't have a clue. Brees is known for his mind and his deadly accuracy. He does not have a big arm. Enough, you are embarrassing yourself
So you are going to argue your point with the likes of Aikman, Collinsworth, Sims etc. I think they know more about arm strength then you will ever know.

Every starting QB in the NFL has a big arm, some are just bigger than others !

Every starting QB in the NFL has a big arm, some are just bigger than others !
That's not true. There were high school kids that had a bigger arm than Chad Pennington. JaMarcus Russell in HS could throw the ball further than Pennington.

And we're comparing nfl qbs. And with that in mind, he had an average NFL arm

That's not true. There were high school kids that had a bigger arm than Chad Pennington. JaMarcus Russell in HS could throw the ball further than Pennington.

And we're comparing nfl qbs. And with that in mind, he had an average NFL arm
YOU DON‘T HAVE A CLUE WHEN IT COMES TO THE NFL, AND NFL QB’S

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT