ADVERTISEMENT

I thought this board hated TR?

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
Judging by the reactions during the season I thought this board was ready to start a “GofundMe” to buy out Rees contract.

Now that Saban wants him, Rees is the next great CFB coach. I’d figure once it was announced he was leaving there would have been a Roman-Style Triumph.

Any chance Brian Mason could make the jump to OC? If he could have the same kind of effect on the offensive he had on the special teams this year, talk about the “unstable force”.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
Judging by the reactions during the season I thought this board was ready to start a “GofundMe” to buy out Rees contract.

Now that Saban wants him, Rees is the next great CFB coach. I’d figure once it was announced he was leaving there would have been a Roman-Style Triumph.

Any chance Brian Mason could make the jump to OC? If he could have the same kind of effect on the offensive he had on the special teams this year, talk about the “unstable force”.

"Any chance Brian Mason could make the jump to OC?"

I doubt it right now. Not to say he cannot learn to be an OC, I am not sure what all offense he has been involved with in his career to date. To go from none/limited offensive involvement to an OC would be a huge jump.

But, I do like his energy with the special teams ..

Im very happy Tommy Turnover is gone

Reactions: NDinNJ
I’m glad Tommy is gone. I was hoping Freeman would have fired him. I don’t think Tommy is bad per se, but I think he could use more guidance/mentoring. I think going to Alabama is the best thing for him. He didn’t have anyone to hold his hand when Kelly high tailed it to LSU. It was evident. Force the ball to Mayer as much as you can was pretty much every game plan. I’m ready for an OC that is able to dissect a defense and adapt in real time.

No. I do not hate him at all. I am glad he has moved on though as I was not a fan of his offense / our execution of it several times this season and last. Time to cut the cord on the Brian Kelly era.

Reactions: Chitown11
TR has largely been hated by the ND heaving masses. But when he stayed, and snubbed BK, he got back into the good graces of many. And however much he's hated or not, he's the #1 player of the BK era, even over Ian Book, on account off his extensive playing career, where he played and started way more than was likely or expected, pretty much playing a key role all four of his seasons as a player, including being a full-time starter for two years. And then of course his time as a trusted assistant, all of those seasons coinciding with ND/BK's great run from 2017-2021.

I've never really particularly warmed up TR on a personal level, but his contributions are absolutely indubitable. And if he flourishes at Bama over the next few seasons, which I'm more or less expecting, if for no other reason than Bama is still Bama and are likely to keep right on rolling, he could turn around and become ND's coach in fairly short order, on the off chance the job comes open....

Reactions: IrishMike409
I can dislike Rees and also be confused on why he wanted to leave ND for same position despite it being for saban unless he’s done with nd or nd is done with him

I can dislike Rees and also be confused on why he wanted to leave ND for same position despite it being for saban unless he’s done with nd or nd is done with him
He got a better job. And an easier job.

Very simple

Alabama coordinator jobs are short-term gigs that are great stepping stones to HC college jobs or an NFL a job. Tommy is accelerating his career progression.

The Alabama OC gig is a promotion to career enhancement. And it also pays extremely well, like a promotion.

IMO Tommy Rees will be an NFL OC within 5 years. This was a no brainer for Tommy Rees, and I wish him well.

The Alabama OC gig is a promotion to career enhancement. And it also pays extremely well, like a promotion.

IMO Tommy Rees will be an NFL OC within 5 years. This was a no brainer for Tommy Rees, and I wish him well.
Tommy would or could have been nfl OC in 24 with a great year at ND in 23

One thing is a fact. By the time Rees spends a year or two at Bama he will be significantly more qualified for a head coaching position than Marcus Freeman was.

Neither loved nor hated Tommy's performance. Was impressed with his loyalty, and then wasn't. I think we may do better or may do worse. But, what does bother me are the optics and significance of losing our DC to A&M, our HC to LSU, and now our OC to Bama.

Neither loved nor hated Tommy's performance. Was impressed with his loyalty, and then wasn't. I think we may do better or may do worse. But, what does bother me are the optics and significance of losing our DC to A&M, our HC to LSU, and now our OC to Bama.
It’s become a stepping stone!

I’m glad Tommy is gone. I was hoping Freeman would have fired him. I don’t think Tommy is bad per se, but I think he could use more guidance/mentoring. I think going to Alabama is the best thing for him. He didn’t have anyone to hold his hand when Kelly high tailed it to LSU. It was evident. Force the ball to Mayer as much as you can was pretty much every game plan. I’m ready for an OC that is able to dissect a defense and adapt in real time.
So you think that Saban just hired a guy and is paying him $ 2,000,000’ who can’t dissect a defense and adapt in real time ?

Did Saban know that before he hired him ?

Easier I can agree with, but doesn’t answer the nd relationship part…. It has to be broken or at least cracked
"Easier I can agree with, but doesn’t answer the ND relationship part…. It has to be broken or at least cracked"

Why does it have to be either? TR simply could not have career goals in mind and simply executed on them?

Reactions: irishalice
Without exception the TR haters are morons; and frankly make morons look intelligent.

"Easier I can agree with, but doesn’t answer the ND relationship part…. It has to be broken or at least cracked"

Why does it have to be either? TR simply could not have career goals in mind and simply executed on them?
ND is an outstanding football team and program, Alabama is better. I say that without any offense since it is certainly better than my home team, USC and frankly every other modern program. I think the way to look at this is not as disloyalty to ND but loyalty to his family and career path.

Freeman is a young man, so it looks like there won't be a head coach opening at ND for a long time. Rees probably just wants to build his resume and coaching contacts.

Reactions: irishalice
ND is an outstanding football team and program, Alabama is better. I say that without any offense since it is certainly better than my home team, USC and frankly every other modern program. I think the way to look at this is not as disloyalty to ND but loyalty to his family and career path.

Freeman is a young man, so it looks like there won't be a head coach opening at ND for a long time. Rees probably just wants to build his resume and coaching contacts.
Oh no? So MF can pretty much write his own ticket, or indeed it's already written, and he's a made-man at ND after one 8-4 season?

Yeah, I think we're going to find out, and MF's story is yet to be written. I guess you're just used to someone like Clay Helton getting to coach USC for six years. So naturally you would assume MF is going to get at least nine....

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT