ADVERTISEMENT

I think Coan will be a difference maker this season

Listening to the interview of Rees with Bryan Driskell yesterday Rees sounded like he definitely wants to get Mayer more involved. Sounds like if he gets his way he'll get more guys on the field earlier. I certainly like to see that. He seemed to be high on Madden but I would be cautious. This is a whole new level.
Not sure why anyone would have reason to be "cautious " about Madden. Pretty sure the staff knows much much more about how he fits the program than any of us here. An excellent addition.

Reactions: NDSMC78
We shall see. I disagree as we have the 4th ranked RB tandem in the nation. Any pass happy offense in that case is a lousy coaching strategy.
Throwing more makes them " pass happy " ? Good lord. Kelly has had balanced offenses everywhere he's been. Taking a few more shots down the field with a QB willing to take them will only make that balance more effective.

Throwing more makes them " pass happy " . Good lord.
Only so many plays in a game. So yeah, it could. Kelly is a good coach. He’s going to put the ball in the best players hands. If that means throwing bombs all game like a Madden video game because it has a higher yield than running the ball, then he will. If it means giving it to one of the nations best running backs and then to a future all American second stringer when he gets tired, then he’ll do that.

Not sure why anyone would have reason to be "cautious " about Madden. Pretty sure the staff knows much much more about how he fits the program than any of us here. An excellent addition.
Again really? No one can have an opinion again. Geesh.

Coan will not have the same weapons at receiver that Book had. He may be required to thread the needle a bit more than Book had to do. I just don't see him throwing it up where only the receiver can get it...the passing will need to be more precise; and he won't have that scramble option that Book had. Blocking...getting rid of the ball on time....and occasionally throwing it away or handing it off will be necessary.
The wrs will be improved this year over last year which was sub par

Coan will not have the same weapons at receiver that Book had. He may be required to thread the needle a bit more than Book had to do. I just don't see him throwing it up where only the receiver can get it...the passing will need to be more precise; and he won't have that scramble option that Book had. Blocking...getting rid of the ball on time....and occasionally throwing it away or handing it off will be necessary.
This is the challenge that I see. I do believe Coan has a stronger arm and had to thread the needle more at Wisky. I also think he has great receivers for a short passing game. We really need Austin and Lenzy to get healthy. Keys needs to show his skill in games. Where do Styles and Watt fit in? Have to find those receivers that can make plays downfield.

This will be a challenge for Rees but I have a lot of confidence in his ability. Also, the coaches around him.

Reactions: echowaker
Only so many plays in a game. So yeah, it could. Kelly is a good coach. He’s going to put the ball in the best players hands. If that means throwing bombs all game like a Madden video game because it has a higher yield than running the ball, then he will. If it means giving it to one of the nations best running backs and then to a future all American second stringer when he gets tired, then he’ll do that.
Kelly has always had balanced offenses. Airing it out a few more times won't change that. Not allowing teams to load the box can only help your offense.

Who said that ? I just think your reasoning is quite flawed.
OK I guess mine. Bryan Driskill, Eric Hansen, Jack Feeman etc that all voice concerns. All state he's not a three or five technique OL. BUT then again you are Mr. Know-it-all.

We're going to be more aggressive this year than last. Throw the ball down the field more. We'll throw more this year than last year
This! Coan's ability to throw the deep will prevent the defense from stacking the box. The o-line had to deal with being outnumbered all season. I think the fans will be pleasantly surprised with what Coan brings to the offense

This! Coan's ability to throw the deep will prevent the defense from stacking the box. The o-line had to deal with being outnumbered all season. I think the fans will be pleasantly surprised with what Coan brings to the offense
Yes- but only if someone from the WR steps up and becomes a true downfield threat. Lenzy? Austin? Keys? Who’s taking advantage of the opportunity?

OK I guess mine. Bryan Driskill, Eric Hansen, Jack Feeman etc that all voice concerns. All state he's not a three or five technique OL. BUT then again you are Mr. Know-it-all.
I ll take my football experiences and knowledge over Driskell every day. He's a hack.

Reactions: NDSMC78
Madden is a phone booth guy. Solid technique, stout in pass protection and good enough lateral movement. An upgrade over Kraemer in my opinion and a solid NFL prospect. Good player, not Quentin Nelson for sure but a quality acquisition.

Madden is a phone booth guy. Solid technique, stout in pass protection and good enough lateral movement. An upgrade over Kraemer in my opinion and a solid NFL prospect. Good player, not Quentin Nelson for sure but a quality acquisition.
I won't argue with most of that. We will see about the NFL. But Ya he's a beast if he gets his hands on you he's usually gonna win. But yes a quality pick up. Also he was not promised a start. Just a chance.

Hes a bottom end nfl draft prospect if that in my opinion. He will be 25 by bowl season and he's still in college

Golson- how do you rate Madden vs Kraemer?
I rate a healthy Kraemer above Madden as a player but Kraemer dealt with a lot of injuries apparently.

I'm worried about Maddens lateral movement but Rees says its better than they expected so hopefully hes better than I think he is.

He looks like a phone booth player who is short for this level of comp. But we will see.

Reactions: IrishMike409
maybe Rees will unveil a power I.
Ohio State passed the ball 41% of the time.
Bama 48%.

when you have 4th best in the nation in tandem, I think perhaps it’s not I’ll advised to run the ball. Perhaps some board wizards can convince Day and and Saban to change strategy. They ran the ball more than passed mind you with first round draft picks at QB. Nuff said.

ADVERTISEMENT