ADVERTISEMENT

I said the Bearcats were loaded with NFL talent

Fickell can coach. He scouted, recruited, developed and coached these draft picks.

Now that college football is minor league NFL, that might not mean as much, but guessing Cinci still punches above its weight class.

We'll see but IMO their biggest edge was having a bunch of talented players who were 5th year seniors in most cases .

22 and 23 year olds vs 20 and 21 year olds is a big advantage.

We'll see but IMO their biggest edge was having a bunch of talented players who were 5th year seniors in most cases .

22 and 23 year olds vs 20 and 21 year olds is a big advantage.
ND had more seniors and 5th years in the starting lineup than Cincy. Cincy gets Midwest talent that OSU and the Big10 pass on and they get P5 transfers.

Off year for ND in draft. Very young team, extremely young last year. It's not like we didn't have plenty of chances to take that Cincy game. You also had several chose to come back that would have gone high like Foskey.

I don't think anyone should cry for Notre Dame. We have 4 star talent at every spot. Only a hand full of teams can say that. We just didn't have it at QB. It is surprising Cinci had so many, that is unusual. Looks like they returned lots for a title run. Just goes to show you they still got blown out in their BCS so it takes more than 8 apparently.

Reactions: tbonesays
"Didn't have it at QB". Frankly, this is my biggest concern for the coming year. I just don't see Buchner as a QB at all. Maybe a flanker. But, a QB that can lead ND to the promised land?? I just don't see it. Hope I am wrong.

ND had more seniors and 5th years in the starting lineup than Cincy. Cincy gets Midwest talent that OSU and the Big10 pass on and they get P5 transfers.
But where were they? Cincy had one consensus AA and #4 draft pick at one corner, and a 2nd team AA and Jim Thorpe award winner at the other (surprised he lasted to the 4th round), and a 3rd round safety - all seniors. Might have been the best secondary in all of college football, including Georgia. Also had a LB, and 2 DL seniors that were drafted.

And what happened? 50% completion rate, two picks, 9 passes defended, 13 points. Everybody blamed Coan, but UC held Bryce Young to 181 yards, his lowest total of the season, by a lot. He had almost 800 yards in 2 games against GA.

I still think it was a mistake yanking Coan. It played right into their strength. Coan was struggling, true, but sending two QBs with no experience against that defense was never going to work. I think Coan probably would have found a way in the second half, at least to get it to 20-24 points

Off year for ND in draft. Very young team, extremely young last year. It's not like we didn't have plenty of chances to take that Cincy game. You also had several chose to come back that would have gone high like Foskey.

I don't think anyone should cry for Notre Dame. We have 4 star talent at every spot. Only a hand full of teams can say that. We just didn't have it at QB. It is surprising Cinci had so many, that is unusual. Looks like they returned lots for a title run. Just goes to show you they still got blown out in their BCS so it takes more than 8 apparently.
4 star rankings doesn’t always equal NFL talent.

ND today, is lacking NFL talent at a lot of key positions.

Who is the NFL talent in the secondary?

What about LB? Maybe the freshman????

What about QB???? 2 good college players but will they be NFL QBs?????

RB??? The NFL is kinda sticking their nose up at the RB spot.

Oline and Dline should produce some NFL talent.

WR??? Maybe NFL talent

My point is ND has some good to really good “Colledge players” but I don’t see a loaded NFL talent.

I do believe Freeman will get the NFL talent and I also believe Freeman wins a National Championship while at ND.

"Didn't have it at QB". Frankly, this is my biggest concern for the coming year. I just don't see Buchner as a QB at all. Maybe a flanker. But, a QB that can lead ND to the promised land?? I just don't see it. Hope I am wrong.
When you break every CA record as a Sophomore, you got something going for you. Lets just see what this year brings. He has size, speed and smarts. He played on big stages and lead comebacks with limited action. Feels like maybe our best in some time but we will know soon. Its not going to by DP.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
But where were they? Cincy had one consensus AA and #4 draft pick at one corner, and a 2nd team AA and Jim Thorpe award winner at the other (surprised he lasted to the 4th round), and a 3rd round safety - all seniors. Might have been the best secondary in all of college football, including Georgia. Also had a LB, and 2 DL seniors that were drafted.

And what happened? 50% completion rate, two picks, 9 passes defended, 13 points. Everybody blamed Coan, but UC held Bryce Young to 181 yards, his lowest total of the season, by a lot. He had almost 800 yards in 2 games against GA.

I still think it was a mistake yanking Coan. It played right into their strength. Coan was struggling, true, but sending two QBs with no experience against that defense was never going to work. I think Coan probably would have found a way in the second half, at least to get it to 20-24 points
Previous poster said Cincy was a bunch of 5th year guys. They were not. Also they didn’t “hold” Bryce Young to 180 yards. Alabama rushed for 300 yards. It was no contest.

WR??? Maybe NFL talent

My point is ND has some good to really good “Colledge players” but I don’t see a loaded NFL talent.

I do believe Freeman will get the NFL talent and I also believe Freeman wins a National Championship while at ND.

Agree on the 4 star, but its a good start. On your questions, if you mean the last few years ND lots of secondary players in the NFL...hamilton, mccolud, pride, elliot, gilman, smith, love....

LB last year was tough with Marist out. No doubt there, but that's one spot and Marist was out.

QB, we agree on that. That changes with Buchner.

RB, Kyren was one of the best backs in the nation, period. The line was suspect, but that kid was an easy 2k type of player. Make ya miss in a phone booth. This year we have 3 great backs.

OL and DL have been blessed most years, not sure we can ask for more....Lots of injuries and first timers. We will be ok and all of those guys are going pro.

I think your wrong on NFL players on the current roster, but thats my opinion. I would bet that 8 of our 2022 starters on O make an NFL roster starting with all 5 of OL when they chose to leave. I would further bet that 2 -3 go first round when the decide to go.

On Defense, I would say 6 of the starters make an NFL roster. 1-2 drafted in the first round.

My point is ND is loaded. Yea, Cinci was as well for a single year. They had 4 last year and 3 the year before. They had a ton of players decide to come back. Do you think they put 9 in next year? I will take that bet.

Previous poster said Cincy was a bunch of 5th year guys. They were not. Also they didn’t “hold” Bryce Young to 180 yards. Alabama rushed for 300 yards. It was no contest.
Alabama had 17 points through 3 quarters. It was still a game into the 4th quarter. It wasn't a contest because Cincy couldn't score. You don't beat many teams scoring 6 points.

Jameson Williams was averaging over 20 YPC on the season coming in. He had 7 catches for 62 yards against Cincinnati, or 8.9 YPC. In 2 games against GA, he averaged 22.6, 11 catches for 249 yards.

Agree on the 4 star, but its a good start. On your questions, if you mean the last few years ND lots of secondary players in the NFL...hamilton, mccolud, pride, elliot, gilman, smith, love....

LB last year was tough with Marist out. No doubt there, but that's one spot and Marist was out.

RB, Kyren was one of the best backs in the nation, period. The line was suspect, but that kid was an easy 2k type of player. Make ya miss in a phone booth. This year we have 3 great backs.

OL and DL have been blessed most years, not sure we can ask for more....Lots of injuries and first timers. We will be ok and all of those guys are going pro.

I think your wrong on NFL players on the current roster, but thats my opinion. I would bet that 8 of our 2022 starters on O make an NFL roster starting with all 5 of OL when they chose to leave. I would further bet that 2 -3 go first round when the decide to go.

On Defense, I would say 6 of the starters make an NFL roster. 1-2 drafted in the first round.

My point is ND is loaded. Yea, Cinci was as well for a single year. They had 4 last year and 3 the year before. They had a ton of players decide to come back. Do you think they put 9 in next year? I will take that bet.
Current roster

Can the current ND players develop into NFL talent? Yes!!!!

Which 8 on offense will get drafted?

Which 6 on defense?

Alabama had 17 points through 3 quarters. It was still a game into the 4th quarter. It wasn't a contest because Cincy couldn't score. You don't beat many teams scoring 6 points.

Jameson Williams was averaging over 20 YPC on the season coming in. He had 7 catches for 62 yards against Cincinnati, or 8.9 YPC. In 2 games against GA, he averaged 22.6, 11 catches for 249 yards.
Saban is a great coach he was running the ball down their throats where he knew he had the biggest advantage and didn’t need to play into Cincy’s strength. If he had to he would have beaten them through the air.

WR??? Maybe NFL talent

Cam Hart and Brandon Joseph will be higher picks in the secondary

MARIST Liufau at linebacker

DL has NFL players all over.

We'll have at least 6 nfl defenders on our starting D next year

Foskey
Ademilola
Hart
Joseph
Liufau
Mills in the future
Ju Ademiloa will be basically a starter and hell play in the league too

Then we have a bunch of talent in the younger guys

Reactions: ftnfan62
At the start of the season I said the Cincinnati team would be one of the toughest teams. I said they were loaded with NFL talent.

7 have been drafted 2022
you did make that call: very impressive. I thought they were overrated...didn't think they'd be able to hang with ND. Their DBs were awesome.

Current roster

Current roster, ND will start 14 draft picks at OSU and 3-4 will be first round. By years end, ND if all were healthy will line up 16-18 draft picks, 4-6 first round as a few frosh start. Take it to the bank.

Saban is a great coach he was running the ball down their throats where he knew he had the biggest advantage and didn’t need to play into Cincy’s strength. If he had to he would have beaten them through the air.
Maybe. I read Fickell refused to bring the stars up to stop the run.

In these David Goliath games we never see David putting up a lot of points and forcing Saban to change gears.

So Saban was content with 17 points through 3 quarters? Must be a kinder, gentler Saban. He usually tries to bury teams early.

The first pass Young threw got picked. Even so, he threw the ball 28 times. They were trying. It wasn't there. They got one big passing play on a blown coverage, getting a LB on a WR. That was a 44 yd TD. Outside of that, they averaged 5 YPA. Williams was basically shut down.

Current roster, ND will start 14 draft picks at OSU and 3-4 will be first round. By years end, ND if all were healthy will line up 16-18 draft picks, 4-6 first round as a few frosh start. Take it to the bank.
Names????

Cam Hart and Brandon Joseph will be higher picks in the secondary

MARIST Liufau at linebacker

DL has NFL players all over.

We'll have at least 6 nfl defenders on our starting D next year

Foskey
Ademilola
Hart
Joseph
Liufau
Mills in the future
Ju Ademiloa will be basically a starter and hell play in the league too

Then we have a bunch of talent in the younger guys
Foskey 100%
If 6 go next season then that will have to be one of the most any ND defense has had in a long time. I say that without checking.

Foskey 100%
If 6 go next season then that will have to be one of the most any ND defense has had in a long time. I say that without checking.
Yeah thats inaccurate.

But Foskey and Ademilola will definitely get drafted.

The others that could if they leave early and dont use all their eligibilty

Hart
Joseph
Liufau
Mills
Ju Ademilola

Yeah thats inaccurate.

But Foskey and Ademilola will definitely get drafted.

The others that could if they leave early and dont use all their eligibilty

Hart
Joseph
Liufau
Mills
Ju Ademilola
I cannot find a class that had more than 6 defensive players.

2020 7 total players but 4 defense

Reactions: bcnd
I cannot find a class that had more than 6 defensive players.

2020 7 total players but 4 defense
Georgia this year had 15 total players drafted

7 defensive players in the first 3 rounds. Dont know if they added anymore late but that is one

Georgia this year had 15 total players drafted

7 defensive players in the first 3 rounds. Dont know if they added anymore late but that is one
There will be some big disappointments in there. Some players make others look better on a defense that good.

Names????
Well you know the names but its a slow Monday so lets play; 14 starters that will be drafted and are considered starters at OSU; Styles, Alt, Patterson, Fisher, Mayer, Buchner, Tyree, Colzie, Mills, Lacey, Marist, Foskey, Joseph, Ademilola

First rounders in bold

4 more non-starters by seasons end: Thomas, Spindler, Kollie, Merriweather

And because we are that talented, here are a few others that will be drafted and also take the field this year; Hart, Estime, Junior, Tucker, Riley, Sneed, Ford, Gobaira....

Others that you could see going first round but not enough film yet are Sneed, Junior and Mills.

Probably others I missed but we are definately loaded. Like the 2015 team. Just need to stay out of the injury bug.

Well you know the names but its a slow Monday so lets play; 14 starters that will be drafted and are considered starters at OSU; Styles, Alt, Patterson, Fisher, Mayer, Buchner, Tyree, Colzie, Mills, Lacey, Marist, Foskey, Joseph, Ademilola

First rounders in bold

4 more non-starters by seasons end: Thomas, Spindler, Kollie, Merriweather

And because we are that talented, here are a few others that will be drafted and also take the field this year; Hart, Estime, Junior, Tucker, Riley, Sneed, Ford, Gobaira....

Others that you could see going first round but not enough film yet are Sneed, Junior and Mills.

Probably others I missed but we are definately loaded. Like the 2015 team. Just need to stay out of the injury bug.
You are basing a lot of these predictions on potential.

Mayer and Foskey are locks.

Joseph is a maybe. If he was an NFL talent he would have entered the draft this season.

TB has how many starts and you are calling him NFL talent????

Styles yes
Alt Yes
Patterson Yes
Fisher not enough snaps yet
Tyree yes
, Colzie, yes
Mills, maybe
Lacey, maybe
Marist, injury concerns
Ademilol maybe

My comment was “ND today, is lacking NFL talent at a lot of key positions”.

Secondary, QB and LB. I stand by that comment.

ADVERTISEMENT