ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not a recruiting expert but

Dec 29, 2005
I was wondering why ND only has one verbal out of the top 10 in the state of Indiana for 2022? Additionally, only one other top 10 prospect from IN even has ND listed in their top 5.

I know IN isn’t a football hotbed for recruiting but I’d think ND would go after a few more of the states top 5-10 players though.

I was wondering why ND only has one verbal out of the top 10 in the state of Indiana for 2022? Additionally, only one other top 10 prospect from IN even has ND listed in their top 5.

I know IN isn’t a football hotbed for recruiting but I’d think ND would go after a few more of the states top 5-10 players though.
I am sure that, if we thought they were good prospects for us, we’d be offering them. But as someone mentioned, the #8 guy in Indiana might be the #88 guy in Florida or a Georgia.

Reactions: shabak

Once in a blue moon there’s a Jaylon Smith and we get him.

Reactions: Kelso86
It is interesting though for a few reasons.

1. This is the most four stars I have ever seen come from Indiana.
2. Coach Kelly has an excellent track record with Indiana players at ND. The ones ND take typically are great contributors.

Looking at this list, the top rated Indiana kid is Caden Curry at #10, and he has an offer from ND.

Then it is Goodwin at #69 with no offer.

Then Cooper at 117 with no offer from the Irish (but no offers from any other of the top football programs either).

Brady Allen at 121 (QB I don't think we are interested in and is committed to Purdue).

Joey Tanana at 179 - committed to the Irish

This is definitely a talent-packed year in Indiana. Seven guys in the Rivals 250, so top-heavy. That's gotta be higher than average.

I thought Ohio-Michigan-Indiana was one recruiting region that happens to have a couple of state lines cutting through.

Joey Tanana is no second...what is the word I am looking for... fiddle, no second fiddle.

Caden Curry looks to be interested in Ohio State and Alabama. He’s got an offer so we’ll see. Remember ND got Blake Fisher, 5 star player from Indiana. I think ND does an alright job of evaluating instate talent.

What are ND's biggest in-state misses in the Rivals era? As in, guys we probably could have had if we had offered, but we didn't and they went to like, Louisville or something and ended up doing great. Or Purdue. Guys like Ryan Kerrigan.

What are ND's biggest in-state misses in the Rivals era? As in, guys we probably could have had if we had offered, but we didn't and they went to like, Louisville or something and ended up doing great. Or Purdue. Guys like Ryan Kerrigan.

I’m not sure as I’ve not done the research but the only kid I can recall is Emil Ekiyor who is a starting OL for Bama.

Terry Mclaurin comes to mind though I don’t remember the details of his recruitment

Terry Mclaurin comes to mind though I don’t remember the details of his recruitment

I'm sure you if added them all up there's a bunch. But at least we got Jeff S. He was lightly recruited out of HS. So definitely glad we decided to go after him. Thanks Ty! And maybe you could say the same for Tyler Eifert. Not all that highly recruited either, and yet thankfully we offered him and reaped the rewards!

You know the university of Kentucky goes after a lot of players from kentucky, not a ton of d-1 talent. Their football program stands two games below .500 historically. Why go after a lot of players from Indiana if the talent isn't there? Does anybody here want to see that kind of result at ND?

Looking at this list, the top rated Indiana kid is Caden Curry at #10, and he has an offer from ND.

Then it is Goodwin at #69 with no offer.

Then Cooper at 117 with no offer from the Irish (but no offers from any other of the top football programs either).

Brady Allen at 121 (QB I don't think we are interested in and is committed to Purdue).

Joey Tanana at 179 - committed to the Irish

I agree if Curry goes to Ohio State we need to get a new recruiting coordinator.

Don’t feel bad there is no such thing as a “recruiting expert”, at least not one on a free message board. Just a bunch a wannabe player personnel directors and frustrated adult fan boys, who think they can project how an 18/19 yo HS kid will pan out in 4/5 years.

Reactions: bubba.carlos
If forced to choose, I’ll take the football stars out of Hawaii over Indiana nearly every year. But, we’re not forced to choose as ND recruits nationally, and we recruit based on talent and fit, irrespective of proximity to ND.

Reactions: Telx1
How about this dude? He goes to a fancy Catholic prep school in Indy so he should be a cultural fit, with a Stanford offer. And he's a top 250 guy. Though we do already have 2 DEs.

If forced to choose, I’ll take the football stars out of Hawaii over Indiana nearly every year. But, we’re not forced to choose as ND recruits nationally, and we recruit based on talent and fit, irrespective of proximity to ND.
if
Manti Te'o = Jaylon Smith
?? = Quenton Nelson

Reactions: Chest Brockwell
if
Manti Te'o = Jaylon Smith
?? = Quenton Nelson
Nelson is from Jersey. Off the top of my head, here are the top players from Indiana during Kelly era. It might be our most successful state.

Tyler Eifert
Sheldon Day,
Jaylon Smith
Zach Martin
Nick Martin
Drue Tranquil

I'm sure there are more but that's 2 first round picks, and 3 second round picks. How many 1st and second round picks combined does ND have in total during the kelly era?

Hawaii is a fine state to recruit from, and it seems the players really enjoy it here, but they don't compete with Indiana. IDK if anyone competes with Indiana right now.

Nelson is from Jersey. Off the top of my head, here are the top players from Indiana during Kelly era. It might be our most successful state.

Tyler Eifert
Sheldon Day,
Jaylon Smith
Zach Martin
Nick Martin
Drue Tranquil

I'm sure there are more but that's 2 first round picks, and 3 second round picks. How many 1st and second round picks combined does ND have in total during the kelly era?

Hawaii is a fine state to recruit from, and it seems the players really enjoy it here, but they don't compete with Indiana. IDK if anyone competes with Indiana right now.

I'm going to guess the state of Hawaii outperforms Indiana in every possible per-capita analysis as far as football goes. And very well may blow them out of the water. Furthermore, I'm not exactly sure why there's a sort of casual dismissiveness towards football in the state of Hawaii from mainlanders, which I've encountered more than once, as there would be no reason to think that. Honolulu is a big, wealthy, 1st-world city with all the amenities, and it's full of Polynesians who are known to be huge dudes, and great football players.

So why would Indiana be better than us? Why would Hawaii HS football somehow be 2nd rate? It's a popular sport in Hawaii, and Indiana is basketball country anyway.

I'm going to guess the state of Hawaii outperforms Indiana in every possible per-capita analysis as far as football goes. And very well may blow them out of the water. Furthermore, I'm not exactly sure why there's a sort of casual dismissiveness towards football in the state of Hawaii from mainlanders, which I've encountered more than once, as there would be no reason to think that. Honolulu is a big, wealthy, 1st-world city with all the amenities, and it's full of Polynesians who are known to be huge dudes, and great football players.

So why would Indiana be better than us? Why would Hawaii HS football somehow be 2nd rate? It's a popular sport in Hawaii, and Indiana is basketball country anyway.
IDK why you quoted me if you were just going to ignore everything I said.

For ND, Indiana has PROVEN to be a great state to recruit from. The players that COME TO ND have produced more than those that have come from Hawaii. Hawaii is a very fertile recruiting ground but we do not always get the top players.

Indiana doesn't have better players than California either, but over the last 10 years, you could make an easy argument that Indiana players have been more impactful than our California recruits. It is what makes recruiting nationally so hard. It's a lot easier to evaluate kids in your own back yard than it is for kids thousands of miles away.

Reactions: bubba.carlos

Most of Indiana is part of the same cultural region as Ohio. The HS football doesn't stop at the state line.

IDK why you quoted me if you were just going to ignore everything I said.

For ND, Indiana has PROVEN to be a great state to recruit from. The players that COME TO ND have produced more than those that have come from Hawaii. Hawaii is a very fertile recruiting ground but we do not always get the top players.

Indiana doesn't have better players than California either, but over the last 10 years, you could make an easy argument that Indiana players have been more impactful than our California recruits. It is what makes recruiting nationally so hard. It's a lot easier to evaluate kids in your own back yard than it is for kids thousands of miles away.

I'm very sorry, but I had to represent for the Aloha State, on account of how you was besmirching them! Obviously ND is going to recruit the state of Indiana with both greater quantity and quality than they will Hawaii. No explanation required. I know my HS would pretty much wipe the floor with anything the state of Indiana had to offer. In any case please forgive my impertinence!

HS football in Indiana has been trending up in popularity since Indiana went to class basketball. Not saying there's a correlation there, but I know my interest in HS basketball has waned over the years.

My initial reference to Hawaii was making the point that we recruit nationally for a reason. Yes, Indiana football does seem on the upswing, and yes, we should cherry pick the best the State has to offer, which I think we do Reasonably well. But we NEED to recruit nationally to perform at the level we all aspire, and I used Hawaii, a State 25% the population of Indiana and the furthest from ND, to illustrate this point. I happen to like the top players coming out of Hawaii annually more than I like the top players coming out of Indiana. Not necessarily the top one or two, but say the top ten. But more importantly, we just need to continue recruiting selectively on a national level focusing on the best players that fit the ND challenge And need.

Reactions: irishalice
My initial reference to Hawaii was making the point that we recruit nationally for a reason. Yes, Indiana football does seem on the upswing, and yes, we should cherry pick the best the State has to offer, which I think we do Reasonably well. But we NEED to recruit nationally to perform at the level we all aspire, and I used Hawaii, a State 25% the population of Indiana and the furthest from ND, to illustrate this point. I happen to like the top players coming out of Hawaii annually more than I like the top players coming out of Indiana. Not necessarily the top one or two, but say the top ten. But more importantly, we just need to continue recruiting selectively on a national level focusing on the best players that fit the ND challenge And need.

Should annually cherry-pick some Hoosier basketball talent too.

Well good, I'm glad you can appreciate that even the state of Hawaii - home of hula skirts and pineapple fields! - can be a perfectly great and fertile recruiting hotbed that ND can occasionally harvest. To repeat, quite naturally ND would be wont to recruit the state of Indiana way more actively and avidly, so both more quality and quantity.

Nevertheless I think it's great we've made Hawaii at least some degree of a priority. You start getting more and more Hawaii guys into your program who have some success it just makes it easier to get the next one. Punahou seems to be our top target HS to scour for ND-caliber guys, and which makes perfect sense. Even though of course St. Louis is the top program in the state without any question.

ADVERTISEMENT