ADVERTISEMENT

How would this be for a 2 year offensive skill position haul?

REMND

All Star
Mar 20, 2013
The 2019 and 2020 WR classes will create some challenges. But the 2 year 2021 and 2022 classes¹ look great to me.

QB - Buchner and Angeli. B+
RB - Diggs, Estime and Price. A great RB rotation. A-
TE - Berrong, Evans, Staes, Raridan. A.
Slot - Thomas and I assume CJ. B or B+ I think.
WR - Styles, Colzie. Walker and I assume Tobias. A- I am guessing. A if they get Ayemanor as well.

I need to see a year of H Backs lite ( Thomas and CJ) in the offense to see what they bring but we could miss the smurfs. We don't seem to use them much though. Tremble's 2020 blocking seemed as valuable as Finkes 2018 49 receptions.

It looks like a lot of skill players for Rees to work with.

Last edited:
The 2019 and 2020 WR classes will create some challenges. But the 2 year 2021 and 2022 classes¹ look great to me.

QB - Buchner and Angeli. B+
RB - Diggs, Estime and Price. A great RB rotation. A-
TE - Berrong, Evans, Staes, Raridan. A.
Slot - Thomas and I assume CJ. B or B+ I think.
WR - Styles, Colzie. Walker and I assume Tobias. A- I am guessing. A if they get Ayemanor as well.

I need to see a year of H Backs lite ( Thomas and CJ) in the offense to see what they bring but we could miss the smurfs. We don't seem to use them much though. Tremble's 2020 blocking seemed as valuable as Finkes 2018 49 receptions.

It looks like a lot of skill players for Rees to work with.
No way RB is an A-, we got our option 4 or 5 at best both years. I'm personally not high on Price at all. Really don't get what anyone sees. Slot could be an A if lorenzo plays slot. WR is a TBD depending on who we get this year. Last year good start, need to close out this year.

Reactions: Original_Irish
Can’t say TE would be an A considering Mayer is an A++. I’d say closer to B.

I get the RB comments. Shipley and Singleton would have been an A. We don't have that.

TE is great I think I am particularly impressed with Mitchell Evans.

I read Thomas is the slot, not Styles. Styles as a slot could be explosive. He did play there in the spring I believe.

We might have to rush the receivers. 2018 was KAR and Hart. 2019 was JJ, Buenelle and Watt.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajemh10
I mean what are we comparing these grades too? That’s 3 A’s and 2 B+’s for skill position groups that currently only has 1 top 50 overall recruit committee/signed.

They are fine classes, but A’s should mean that that group is a championship level group.

Just my subjective thoughts. If Buchner fulfills his potential, I think he would have the skill players for quick strikes and grind it out scores. I do hold the RB room in higher regard than most. Estime was the NJ POY. Diggs was the LA offensive 5A POY. Price is rated higher than both. I like the potential rotation. It could be a 40 point a game skill player crew.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It's been about the same. If we close strong in this class, this 2 year stretch might be better than Longs. It's too early to say
I would disagree, we have whiffed a too many of our first picks on offense. Yes they need to finish strong this year. Definitely not gap closing recruiting like Freeman has been doing. But not really shocking since or OC is pretty raw with not much resume. Maybe in a couple more years when he's got some more experience and if his offense is doing well can we hit some of those gap closing first picks. Sadly offense is the key to NCs in today's college game and we are pretty much staying the same. We're good and most teams would like to have our talent. But we are not close to being elite.

Last edited:
I would disagree, we have whiffed a too many of our first picks on offense. Yes they need to finish strong this year. Definitely not gap closing recruiting like Freeman has been doing. But not really shocking since or OC is pretty raw with not much resume. Maybe in a couple more years when he's got some more experience and if his offense is doing well can we hit some of those gap closing first picks. Sadly offense is the key to NCs in today's college game and we are pretty much staying the same. We're good and most teams would like to have our talent. But we are not close to being elite.

agreed, ND has a better chance this year, C.J. Williams will be a 5 star WR. QB recruiting always lags and seems to alternate between top recruits and projects. 2018 Jurkovec (Stud), Clark (project), 2020 Pyne (project), Buchner (stud), Angeli (Project) and so on.

Recruiting grade vs. performance grade -- I wonder about this.

Guys look Book, K. Williams, JOK, D. White would have been graded C- on this thread yet they had A/A- careers at ND.

But I know, we're talking recruiting. What I am seeing this year are more players like Sneed and (hopefully) CJ who have Alabama-type bodies and skill types out of high school (when I see film they are men amongst boys.) In the past we have managed that comp at TE and OL but not at QB, RB, and on D.

So kudos to Kelly and his coaches for making us a top 4 program with an average #13 recruiting ranking during the past five years. I also wonder about player rankings this year due to covid and limited games, etc. Still it sure it nice to be at #2 for a change -- if Coan provides the bridge to the Buchner we all hope he is (Book with a better arm) and if Freeman's defense is up to his stellar recruiting, this top 4/5 run will continue and we might just steal a natty. We've come a long way from the Davie/Willingham/Weis years!!!

Thanks BK.

agreed, ND has a better chance this year, C.J. Williams will be a 5 star WR. QB recruiting always lags and seems to alternate between top recruits and projects. 2018 Jurkovec (Stud), Clark (project), 2020 Pyne (project), Buchner (stud), Angeli (Project) and so on.
I was cold on Angeli but he may end up being the best of the group. We really don't know what we have with Buchner.

So kudos to Kelly and his coaches for making us a top 4 program with an average #13 recruiting ranking during the past five years. I also wonder about player rankings this year due to covid and limited games, etc. Still it sure it nice to be at #2 for a change -- if Coan provides the bridge to the Buchner we all hope he is (Book with a better arm) and if Freeman's defense is up to his stellar recruiting, this top 4/5 run will continue and we might just steal a natty. We've come a long way from the Davie/Willingham/Weis years!!!

Thanks BK.
What polls are you referring to that has us ranked top 4 over the last five years? It certainly is not the ap poll.

The Rees crew has recruited better than Long did in 2018 and 2019 I think. Long gets some credit for 2020 but it was the year that he was walking out the door. I believe the recruits knew that before signing. I am not seeing how Long's classes were better than Rees's. Plus, Rees's classes really stand out in the lack of a gap in a unit. Every position is covered with quality athletes in my mind.

The Rees crew has recruited better than Long did in 2018 and 2019 I think. Long gets some credit for 2020 but it was the year that he was walking out the door. I believe the recruits knew that before signing. I am not seeing how Long's classes were better than Rees's. Plus, Rees's classes really stand out in the lack of a gap in a unit. Every position is covered with quality athletes in my mind.
Is this a serious question? You do follow ND recruiting at least at a cusery level correct? We'll see how this year finished out but so far Rees is doughnuts when recruting elite players in tight battles.

Is this a serious question? You do follow ND recruiting at least at a cusery level correct? We'll see how this year finished out but so far Rees is doughnuts when recruting elite players in tight battles.
For others consumption, we were ranked 10 and 15 in 18 and 19. We were ranked 9 and probably better this year.

For others consumption, we were ranked 10 and 15 in 18 and 19. We were ranked 9 and probably better this year.
Right now thanks to Freeman we will. Rees has the chance to finish strong. But the criticism of Rees' recruiting so far is warranted.

Are you sure you follow recruiting?? Because I dont think you do.

Our highest rated offensive skill player in 19 was ranked number 367 composite.

So do you follow recruiting or no?

Reactions: IrishMike409
Are you sure you follow recruiting?? Because I dont think you do.

Our highest rated offensive skill player in 19 was ranked number 367 composite.

So do you follow recruiting or no?
LMAO you sure love to cherry pick stats. The offensive skill players on the left side of the backfield....

LMAO you sure love to cherry pick stats. The offensive skill players on the left side of the backfield....
Another swing and a miss from the troll.

No cherry picking of stats. Comparing Long and Rees recruiting the guys said from 18 and 19 compared to Rees' first 2 years which arent done yet.

19 was not good recruiting by Long. You dont follow recruiting very closely.

You're too busy being a troll to know about ND recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT