ADVERTISEMENT

How Recruiting Wins You A 1 Point Game

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
I know there is a lot of anger on the board this morning and I'm not going to try to talk anyone out of it. I had a great time last night at the game, despite the loss.

I'll say this though. The extreme bitching about ND's offensive line being soft and super overrated is being completely overblown.

That Georgia front 7 is spectacular. Much like ND's was in 2012, when everyone just had a miserable time running the ball.

ND loses 20-19 and there are a numbers of single plays that could have swung the game. The overturned touchdown, which was a fabulous catch, but looked like his left elbow was down before clear evidence of possession had been established. There was also the Okwara hit which is a tough call, but not a bad one. That turned a punt into a touchdown a few plays later. No overall officiating complaints. Georgia was the more penalized team and the officials didn't let them get away with anything. The two calls were simply massive and didn't go ND's way...

But the big thing is recruiting... Three players in particular stifled ND last night, the same way Tuitt, Nix and Te'o used to for ND...

Trent Thompson, defensive tackle: 0.9991 comp. #1 Defensive tackle. #1 Overall player in the 2015 class.

Lorenzo Carter, outside linebacker: 0.9991 comp. #2 DE. #18 Overall player in the class 2014 class.

Roquan Smith, middle linebacker: 0.9764 comp. #5 LB. #48 overall player in the 2015 class.

The rest of the Georgia front 7 were highly touted as well, but those 3 in particular are complete studs. Two bonafide 5 stars, one considered the best player in his class and a very high 4 star who is a complete stud.

I know a lot of you like to dismiss recruiting, but man does it matter... Those 3 guys are every bit as good as advertised and just stifled a talented ND offense.

Recruiting can be the difference in a 1 point game. It was last night. They were simply more talented on defense than ND is on offense.

Last edited:
Thank you for enlightening us. This explains why BK didnt play Chase Claypool much or Miles Boykin or Dexter Williams at all. He didnt want them to get hurt against the big mean bulldogs. The ND offense makes other defenses look better than they are. We have studs on our team too. I realize Georgia D has athletes but a good O coordinator would have had a better plan.

Reactions: cgaynor
I agree with your recruiting breakdown. However, I feel that coaching is even more critical. The new assistants/staff have made a huge improvement this year. While last night's loss stings, I am optimistic on the season and program moving forward.

I feel like ND had a game plan to run the ball and they genuinely though they could. I thought it was a mistake not to give Dexter a chance, but your suggestion that playing other players was automatically the reason ND lost is such a "chicken little" argument.

That was an excellent game. ND had chances and just didn't help themselves out. Claypool drops a screen. Mack drops a key RPO. Finke drops a dig route for a key first down. EQ drops the go route off the throwback to start the game. ND missed blocks on screens. Canteen falls down wide open down the sideline. Wimbush fails to convert a key third down because he won't run vertical. Josh Adams allows himself to be ridden out of bounds a yard short of a first down on another key first down... Count those plays. When you are playing one of the 5 best defenses in the country, you have to make plays. By comparison, ND played their asses off defensively, but Godwin makes the incredible end zone catch when ND is dropping passes. Wyms snags the the go route away from Watkins on the sidelines despite amazing coverage.

It was one point guys. Georgia had the more talented team and made the plays on offense ND didn't.

It's easy to simply think ND should dominate because you are a fan of ND. But the coaches could have called the game better at spots on offense and the kids could have made plays that they didn't. You lose by a point, you suck it the hell up and make the plays next time so you win the game.

Last edited:
IIO, I mostly agree, UGA made plays and we had plenty of opportunities and didn't make the play ... but I believe again that ou OL and OL coach are over rated Year inand year out.

Thank you for enlightening us. This explains why BK didnt play Chase Claypool much or Miles Boykin or Dexter Williams at all. He didnt want them to get hurt against the big mean bulldogs. The ND offense makes other defenses look better than they are. We have studs on our team too. I realize Georgia D has athletes but a good O coordinator would have had a better plan.

Did offensive coordinator plan for...

1. EQ St. Brown to drop what could have easily been a TD on the first play of the game?

2. Did the offensive coordinator plan for sure handed Chris Finke to drop a key third down on a dig route late in the game?

3. Did the offensive coordinator plan to have Brandon Wimbush decide to run soft on a key third down late in the game and come up short when he easily should had the 1st down?

4. Did the offensive coordinator plan for key drops by Canteen, Mack and Claypool when they had chances to extend drives that could have led to points?

5. Did the offensive coordinator plan for Josh Adams to get ridden out of bounds, a yard short, by a defender with one arm on a key third down?

I'd encourage you to rematch the game. The offensive play calling wasn't stellar, and I'm not happy Dexter didn't play, but key drops by ND receivers and t9ght ends and some really poor throws by Wimbush and bad decisions while running cost ND as much, or more than anything else.

I agree that complaints about who is and who isn't on the field are kind of ridiculous because it assumes that coaches are not as good at judging talent as people posting on message boards. (And that they intentionally work against self-preservation.)

The big question to me is who is going to step up and make a play, as IIO pointed out. That is the big difference between the 2015 team and last year's team and this year's team. In 2015 there was always someone stepping up until it got to the point where we simply lacked enough bodies.

That wasn't the case last year and it doesn't appear to be the case this year, except that I think the defense is playing much better than I expected.

IIO, I mostly agree, but I believe again that ou OL and OL coach are over rated Year inand year out.

Overrated relative to what? Possibly he best front 7 in all of football? If so, than sure, I agree. I think the right side is overated and the right tackle just isn't great (either of them) and because of that they get all he help. I think Quenton Nelson as awesome and was again last night. McGlinchey gets beat at times. He's not Stanley or Martin which ND fans hoped he would be, but he gets exposed at times because he doesn't get any GE help because it's all on the right side of the line helpings the young kids out.

Georgia played cover 1, with a 7 and 8 man bock all night. There kids are better than ours and had them out numbered. I just don't know what you wanted from then. The rece8vers had to make pays outside and didn't. ND approached the game the same way defensively and stuffed their running attack. Godwin makes an unbelievable catch and that's the difference in the game. One friggen point.

Reactions: 57Patrick
I agree that complaints about who is and who isn't on the field are kind of ridiculous because it assumes that coaches are not as good at judging talent as people posting on message boards. (And that they intentionally work against self-preservation.)

The big question to me is who is going to step up and make a play, as IIO pointed out. That is the big difference between the 2015 team and last year's team and this year's team. In 2015 there was always someone stepping up until it got to the point where we simply lacked enough bodies.

That wasn't the case last year and it doesn't appear to be the case this year, except that I think the defense is playing much better than I expected.

Look at 2012... Not a stellar ND offense, but Theo Riddick, Tyler Eifert and TJ Jones just made clutch plays when they needed. Eifert would get absolutely drilled and hang on. Riddick would refuse to be tackled on the first hit despite his diminutive size and at 5'11, TJ played like was 6'4 when the ball was in the air. ND needs pass catchers to step up in big games.

Mad respect for UGA and IIO, but you really can't say they were the better more talented team. They beat us on one play to knock the ball from Wimbush. Their DE beat our best lineman. What are you gonna do?

IIO, you said you were at the game, agree with your assessment, but from the stadium view, you can see things better than on TV. What was your general thoughts on Wimbush...TV, it's easy to say he was terrible, but what was happening up field while he struggled...did guys take to long to get open?

2nd question, given the new stadium and the atmosphere regardless of the msssive Georgia fans...do you think it was a positive event for recruits?

Mad respect for UGA and IIO, but you really can't say they were the better more talented team. They beat us on one play to knock the ball from Wimbush. Their DE beat our best lineman. What are you gonna do?

Exactly my point. I'm with you 100%. Both teams have players. Neither team is poorly coached. Georgia just has 1 or 2 more animals on that defense than we do and Godwin made what could be the catch of the year, while ND had about 5 key drops that killed drives.

Georgia had a slight edge in talent advtage that really is only a couple players ND doesn't and they made a couple more plays. It was an excellent college football game.

ND football fans are acting like we lost by 30 and don't belong on the field. Someone has to lose. If ND makes a key play here of there, we're celebrating. They didn't. You suck it up and move on to next week.

The conversations are a repeat of, or similar to conversations of recent past seasons.
Is eight enough in year eight, or is eight enough?

IIO, you said you were at the game, agree with your assessment, but from the stadium view, you can see things better than on TV. What was your general thoughts on Wimbush...TV, it's easy to say he was terrible, but what was happening up field while he struggled...did guys take to long to get open?

2nd question, given the new stadium and the atmosphere regardless of the msssive Georgia fans...do you think it was a positive event for recruits?

The stadium was embarrassing in terms of ND fan support. That said, spoke to Georgia fans who paid north of $1000 for their tickets. Hard to pass that up if you are the seller. Georgia fans had this game circled on the calendar. Many of them broke the bank to attend. Good on them. ND fans still suck to some degree, IMO. Football in the south is like religion. It trumps money. Do u think they would sell if it were the other way around. ND fans just don't generally come from that demographic or school of thought. They'll take the money and watch at home or in a bar.

As for Wimbush. I thought was plagued him was a false sense of security generated by not facing that level of defensive talent in practice. When ND runs those plays in practice the offensive line holds up and buys him the time to make his reads and throw the ball. Georgia had a great game plan. They played cover 1 across the board and brought a ton of pressure with athletes ND just doesn't have on defense to simulate the speed in practice. Wimbush couldn't set his feet and they contained hi to a collaps9ng pocket well. First time starter. Still slow in some of his reads and because he was dating all over the pocket with happy feet he tossed some really bad balls. Georgia challenged his composure via pressure. The kid was plenty tough in the pocket. He stood in and took some shots. They simply got to him much quicker than he expected and he doesn't yet have the tools to answer that type of pressure.

1. EQ St. Brown to drop what could have easily been a TD on the first play of the game?

2. Did the offensive coordinator plan for sure handed Chris Finke to drop a key third down on a dig route late in the game?

3. Did the offensive coordinator plan to have Brandon Wimbush decide to run soft on a key third down late in the game and come up short when he easily should had the 1st down?

4. Did the offensive coordinator plan for key drops by Canteen, Mack and Claypool when they had chances to extend drives that could have led to points?

5. Did the offensive coordinator plan for Josh Adams to get ridden out of bounds, a yard short, by a defender with one arm on a key third down?

I'd encourage you to rematch the game. The offensive play calling wasn't stellar, and I'm not happy Dexter didn't play, but key drops by ND receivers and t9ght ends and some really poor throws by Wimbush and bad decisions while running cost ND as much, or more than anything else.
Seems like some of your points revolve around poor coaching.

BW will listen to TR after this game and learn to step up into the pocket. That caused BW a lot of hits last night.

Exactly my point. I'm with you 100%. Both teams have players. Neither team is poorly coached. Georgia just has 1 or 2 more animals on that defense than we do and Godwin made what could be the catch of the year, while ND had about 5 key drops that killed drives.

Georgia had a slight edge in talent advtage that really is only a couple players ND doesn't and they made a couple more plays. It was an excellent college football game.

ND football fans are acting like we lost by 30 and don't belong on the field. Someone has to lose. If ND makes a key play here of there, we're celebrating. They didn't. You suck it up and move on to next week.

Georgia is good; it was a tight game, but I have never liked nor will I ever like the offense Kelly runs. Great against inferior athletes; average to poor against equal or superior athletes.

And thank God Georgia had so many penalities or it could have gotten real ugly.

The stadium was embarrassing in terms of ND fan support. That said, spoke to Georgia fans who paid north of $1000 for their tickets. Hard to pass that up if you are the seller. Georgia fans had this game circled on the calendar. Many of them broke the bank to attend. Good on them. ND fans still suck to some degree, IMO. Football in the south is like religion. It trumps money. Do u think they would sell if it were the other way around. ND fans just don't generally come from that demographic or school of thought. They'll take the money and watch at home or in a bar.

As for Wimbush. I thought was plagued him was a false sense of security generated by not facing that level of defensive talent in practice. When ND runs those plays in practice the offensive line holds up and buys him the time to make his reads and throw the ball. Georgia had a great game plan. They played cover 1 across the board and brought a ton of pressure with athletes ND just doesn't have on defense to simulate the speed in practice. Wimbush couldn't set his feet and they contained hi to a collaps9ng pocket well. First time starter. Still slow in some of his reads and because he was dating all over the pocket with happy feet he tossed some really bad balls. Georgia challenged his composure via pressure. The kid was plenty tough in the pocket. He stood in and took some shots. They simply got to him much quicker than he expected and he doesn't yet have the tools to answer that type of pressure.

Thanks for the feedback...always appreciate your thoughts

I know there is no such thing as a good loss, but Wimbush learned a whole lot yesterday. He has now seen an average defense and an excellent defense. ALL of his instruction will make more sense from now on.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Here is the thing. This Georgia team is NOT going to dominate the SEC East. They have a one dimension offense and if we went up by 2 scores they wouldn't be able to chuck it around to catch up. Time will tell just how good either team was but this game was winnable. That is the saddest part of it. Up by 2 with 8 minutes to go, Chip Long and BK had a chance to earn their paychecks for the rest of the season and choked.

I know there is a lot of anger on the board this morning and I'm not going to try to talk anyone out of it. I had a great time last night at the game, despite the loss.

I'll say this though. The extreme bitching about ND's offensive line being soft and super overrated is being completely overblown.

That Georgia front 7 is spectacular. Much like ND's was in 2012, when everyone just had a miserable time running the ball.

ND loses 20-19 and there are a numbers of single plays that could have swung the game. The overturned touchdown, which was a fabulous catch, but looked like his left elbow was down before clear evidence of possession had been established. There was also the Okwara hit which is a tough call, but not a bad one. That turned a punt into a touchdown a few plays later. No overall officiating complaints. Georgia was the more penalized team and the officials didn't let them get away with anything. The two calls were simply massive and didn't go ND's way...

But the big thing is recruiting... Three players in particular stifled ND last night, the same way Tuitt, Nix and Te'o used to for ND...

Trent Thompson, defensive tackle: 0.9991 comp. #1 Defensive tackle. #1 Overall player in the 2015 class.

Lorenzo Carter, outside linebacker: 0.9991 comp. #2 DE. #18 Overall player in the class 2014 class.

Roquan Smith, middle linebacker: 0.9764 comp. #5 LB. #48 overall player in the 2015 class.

The rest of the Georgia front 7 were highly touted as well, but those 3 in particular are complete studs. Two bonafide 5 stars, one considered the best player in his class and a very high 4 star who is a complete stud.

I know a lot of you like to dismiss recruiting, but man does it matter... Those 3 guys are every bit as good as advertised and just stifled a talented ND offense.

Recruiting can be the difference in a 1 point game. It was last night. They were simply more talented on defense than ND is on offense.

The other issue is that UGA's defensive line is pretty deep. While you (ND) feels compelled to leave your All-American caliber lineman in for the whole game, UGA can rotate in about 8 different players that are all very talented and keep them somewhat rested and fresh. I think towards the end of the game that made a difference.

Here is the thing. This Georgia team is NOT going to dominate the SEC East. They have a one dimension offense and if we went up by 2 scores they wouldn't be able to chuck it around to catch up. Time will tell just how good either team was but this game was winnable. That is the saddest part of it. Up by 2 with 8 minutes to go, Chip Long and BK had a chance to earn their paychecks for the rest of the season and choked.

And they didn't dominate ND. They won by a point to in a game that could have went either way. ND was a 4-8 team last year. Most realistic ND supporters have them around 9-3 or 8-4 this year. Losing by one point to a top 15 team (as of now) is just where they are right now. I don't like it but people need to live in reality. This team was never competing for a national title people. I was just hoping for significant defensive improvement (which I think we'll see) and ranking in the top 20 by season's end (which is entirely possible).

Nick Coleman was a 3 star athlete from Ohio. I have bashed him repeatedly for being one of the worst players on the team and his inability to tackle. Insert Mike Elko and now Coleman is playing like a man. He took on the very athletic Georgia players and won every battle. Why? He has a legit coach now. The Kelly supporters on this site never stop. Justified 1 hit the nail on the head. 8 years of the same excuses. Kellys offense depends on mismatches. Not many exist against top 10 teams. His players are not trained properly on offense and they do the same crap no matter what. I watched the post game interview. I think the female reporter was an ass. It was not a 1 possession game. It was multiple series of bad play calls, missed assignments and lack of Dexter Williams. I dont think Kelly did anything wrong answering the reporter. He knows she doesn't know crap about football. To insinuate there would be a snow balling effect was antagonizing him after a tough loss. There is no snowball effect. Kelly just cant get much offensive performance against top defenses. This is the most offensive firepower ND has had in a long time. Still cant get it done. Bring on BC and Miami of Ohio. Feels good games.

Last edited:

Just a comment on this. Your observations are correct. Also thought ND's game plan was good. ND has been prepared and seemed well coached. Kelly was not out-coached here. What happened is what you will see when you play a team with some elite athletes. Georgia has some remarkable athletes. On both sides of the ball. Playmakers and they are underclassmen. These type of 5* players will not be coming here. That's the reality. These players are motivated by the HC and the direction of the program. NOT the school or a silly 40 year plan. (There are way too many schools today that offer great educations that nullify what was once a ND advantage.) This loss to me was the difference of some great players against some good to very good ND players. ND has no elite talent at WR or RB. That's just a fact. The players we have are good, but not unique difference makers. Not what Weis was capable of recruiting. Floyd's, Rudolfs, etc. Weis had a delivery that resonated. Give this team a few games to see how they respond. ND's Coaching was good and I'm encouraged over what they are from what they have been in the past. BUT, be prepared, what you see is what you will probably get while coach 4 & 8 is here. That's the situation.

I agree with this 100%. We had our chances, and we had more than our share of mistakes. Mack in particular is driving me nuts with too many drops and poor blocking.

Recruiting is one thing.
Player development is another.

I thought Wimbush played pretty well, under fire for much of the game. If he doesn't get sacked there at the end, he might've led us to the winning FG.

Like you said, it really came down to a few plays. The Godwin catch and the final sack were probably the two biggest.

I feel like ND had a game plan to run the ball and they genuinely though they could. I thought it was a mistake not to give Dexter a chance, but your suggestion that playing other players was automatically the reason ND lost is such a "chicken little" argument.

That was an excellent game. ND had chances and just didn't help themselves out. Claypool drops a screen. Mack drops a key RPO. Finke drops a dig route for a key first down. EQ drops the go route off the throwback to start the game. ND missed blocks on screens. Canteen falls down wide open down the sideline. Wimbush fails to convert a key third down because he won't run vertical. Josh Adams allows himself to be ridden out of bounds a yard short of a first down on another key first down... Count those plays. When you are playing one of the 5 best defenses in the country, you have to make plays. By comparison, ND played their assessment off defensively, but Godwin makes the incredible end zone catch when ND is dropping passes. Wyms snags the the go route away from Watkins on the sidelines despite amazing coverage.

It was one point guys. Georgia had the more talented team and made the plays on offense ND didn't.

It's easy to simply think ND should dominate because you are a fan of ND. But the coaches could have called the game better at spots on offense and the kids could have made plays that they didn't. You lose by a point, you suck it the hell up and make the plays next time so you win the game.

UGA could also point to 5-7 plays that they wish went the other way. Live in reality but all well and good if you're looking to provide a counter argument to those of us who are overreacting to the loss.

Guilty but our reaction has to be taken within the context of 4-8 at the end of year 7... when many of us wanted him gone and PJ Fleck hired. 4-8 when he had an starting NFL QB? He had zero room for error with many of us. Not that we expect 12-0 or even 10-2 but when we see the same old refusal to change the game plan midstream and the refusal to "throw the kitchen sink at em... (Dexter Williams. Before it was Niles Morgan and before then it was Aaron Lynch) we can't help but say "here we go again."

I agree with this 100%. We had our chances, and we had more than our share of mistakes. Mack in particular is driving me nuts with too many drops and poor blocking.
Mack is giving us nothing. Nothing at all. Not sure why he's playing at this point. Can he be counted on. Play NW and Smythe- at least you know exactly what you'll get. Next season- Wright and Kmet will be ready.

Mack is not contributing at this point.

Okay... all our offensive linemen are blue chip recruits. 2 are preseason all American. I don't care who is on the other side of the ball. Every. Single. Time. The line faces someone even remotely good they blow it

I agree with a lot of what IIO pointed out in multiple postings on this thread. This was a game most of us, at the beginning of the season, thought would be a loss. After watching Stanford-USC I'm not liking our chances with either of those teams but with some improvements I still think 8-4 or 9-3 is possible. Do I hate this mindset? Of course I do but I can't keep going into every season thinking we are a 12-0 as that will drive me insane. Defensively the team is coming along but we don't have the bodies to be elite and the past few recruiting classes have not shown that promise. Unfortunately living in Atlanta I now have to listen to Dawg fans yammer about beating us. While most of the dawg fans that have posted seem to be decent folks, I can say with a smile that for the most part they are as delusional as we are (yes my wife spent 8 years studying in Athens so I'm allowed to say it since I tell her all the time).

Mack is giving us nothing. Nothing at all. Not sure why he's playing at this point. Can he be counted on. Play NW and Smythe- at least you know exactly what you'll get. Next season- Wright and Kmet will be ready.

Mack is not contributing at this point.
Smythe shouldn't get any snaps. Blew multiple blocks, slow as heck too

That was an excellent game. ND had chances and just didn't help themselves out. Claypool drops a screen. Mack drops a key RPO. Finke drops a dig route for a key first down. EQ drops the go route off the throwback to start the game. ND missed blocks on screens. Canteen falls down wide open down the sideline. Wimbush fails to convert a key third down because he won't run vertical. Josh Adams allows himself to be ridden out of bounds a yard short of a first down on another key first down... Count those plays. When you are playing one of the 5 best defenses in the country, you have to make plays. By comparison, ND played their assessment off defensively, but Godwin makes the incredible end zone catch when ND is dropping passes. Wyms snags the the go route away from Watkins on the sidelines despite amazing coverage.

Yes, but you see; this has been going on for a long time now. All the things you mentioned above: Notre Dame just doesn't get the job done in some key aspect of the game; some unit doesn't do its job; no player steps up huge when needed, and another close loss. It is the personality of the team that has to change, and that personality comes from the coach. I did not, for one second, think ND was going to win one that final drive, and they didn't either; and that is the problem.

Yes, but you see; this has been going on for a long time now. All the things you mentioned above: Notre Dame just doesn't get the job done in some key aspect of the game; some unit doesn't do its job; no player steps up huge when needed, and another close loss. It is the personality of the team that has to change, and that personality comes from the coach. I did not, for one second, think ND was going to win one that final drive, and they didn't either; and that is the problem.
Part of it must be wimbush. He is looking like a bust. I had no faith in him particularly last night which is just being 100% honest

My take as Georgia fan, we have way better athletes, even when we were out of position we could close quickly on your ball handlers.

That game is a complete blowout with Eason in the game. Fromm did well but struggled to get the ball to our playmakers. Eason would have and it would have softened up your approach in the box and Michel and Chubb would have eaten you alive.

Your QB was scared and made some of the worst throws I have seen at this level.

Ironically, I think your coaches did a brilliant job keeping it as close as it was and that should not be discounted . Our more experienced qb plays, that game would have been a bloodbath.

That said, thanks for having us and I wanted to say your tradition is second to none but I am a little taken aback at how the Georgia Nation took over your stadium. That Won't happen in Athens.

Take care and good luck the rest of the way.

Reactions: wcu1113
I thought Wimbush played pretty well, under fire for much of the game. If he doesn't get sacked there at the end, he might've led us to the winning FG.

Like you said, it really came down to a few plays. The Godwin catch and the final sack were probably the two biggest.
He just doesn't look comfortable in Long's offense. His throws flutter. I'm sure he'll get better. Our defense stepped up big time. But I watched USC crush Stanford, watch out. Our offensive line got pushed around. Could have used Stepherson. Still had a chance to win this one. But it seems we haven't won one of these in a long long time. I'm getting tired of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT