ADVERTISEMENT

How did we lose QB recruit McNamara to Michigan ?

They sure are bragging it up.......What goes????????/

Bottom line he saw how good /jurcovek was in front of him and Pyne behind and wanted to start day 1. It was not going to happen he did not want to compete

Michigan does not have any good QB's other than an unproven transfer Shea Patterson. Door is wide open for him

Michigan’s depth chart is an easier path for him than ND’s.

You already know this though

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Patterson, Patterson thinks he is a one and done. If he is telling people that and they believe it, it means that there will be a wide open competition in 2019. Jurcovek appears to have the inside track. If Wimbush falters I would not be surprised to see Jurcovek start in 2018 at some point.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Patterson, Patterson thinks he is a one and done. If he is telling people that and they believe it, it means that there will be a wide open competition in 2019. Jurcovek appears to have the inside track. If Wimbush falters I would not be surprised to see Jurcovek start in 2018 at some point.
Phil will not start this year unless Wimbush just goes bust and Book gets hurt. If Phil had been an early enrollee then maybe an outside shot.

Phil will not start anytime soon this season. Had he been an EE, then, yes, maybe. Book is the #2 guy. I like the way some are just about expecting a BW fail.
I find it unlikely as a running QB can still be very successful even if the passing part struggles. Wimbush had terrible passing numbers last year yet his overall rating was very good because of that running capability. That will be even more important if a RB does not step up. I personally think ND is in trouble if Book has to take significant snaps. Wimbush does not miss because of bad decisions just bad throws. Book makes bad decisions. I agree the preferred scenario is Wimbush start and prosper.

I find it unlikely as a running QB can still be very successful even if the passing part struggles. Wimbush had terrible passing numbers last year yet his overall rating was very good because of that running capability. That will be even more important if a RB does not step up. I personally think ND is in trouble if Book has to take significant snaps. Wimbush does not miss because of bad decisions just bad throws. Book makes bad decisions. I agree the preferred scenario is Wimbush start and prosper.
Imo opinion if Wimbush doesn't get more accurate, then the team would be better of with Book. I don't for a second think he's an all american candidate, but very happy to have him there backing Wimbush up if things go sideways. If Wimbush gets more accurate then he's a real threat and I can see a playoff push.

Reactions: Ara64
“Book makes bad decisions.”

This is nonsense. Based on what? So he threw a couple bad picks. He was a first year player at the toughest position to play. I’m not saying he’s great or will even play a lot if wimbush plays well, but to make the blanket statement that he makes bad decisions is way too premature. I think he’s done very well the very limited time he’s played.

Kelly said that Phil would play some in four games this season. I hope that Brandon crushes it this season, and Ian gets to play a lot in the second half of game this year. It all depends on how the first half of the Michigan game this September. He needs a win against Michigan this September. ND needs to protect their house this season against all comers. Get'er done Brandon! I believe in you son.

If you think book makes bad decisions what do you think of pattersons film ?

Reactions: francade
If you think book makes bad decisions what do you think of pattersons film ?
Book made bad decisions in ideal situations. Patterson seemed to me to be a gunslinger type who like a lot of young players believed he could make any play and tried to make plays in an awful situatin. It was hard to get a read as Ole Miss's line play was terrible. I watched some of the video footage and there were cases where multiple pass rushers were in the backfield as if there were no blockers. That all said Patterson did something that Michigan QB's could not which is make plays against bad teams. A low bar admittedly. But I am willing to take my chances that a year under Harbaugh will close down some of the mistakes. Patterson's ceiling is certainly higher than Book's. That all said Phil Steele thinks highly of both Wimbush and Patterson. His regard is higher than mine for both. I'm just looking for Tate Fourier plus. If Patterson plays up to Steele's prediction I will take it.

My problem with Wimbush is he had an ideal situation. Unlike Book who make the wrong throw he just made the inaccurate throw. I don't know enough about QB mechanics to make a statement what is correctable and what is not. What I do know is that to throw the ball accurately it is an unnatural movement. Like anything unnatural it requires repetition and practice to maintain. Can this be ingrained in Sept long enough to beat Michigan and get deep into the season or does it go away after the first big hit?

Book made bad decisions in ideal situations. Patterson seemed to me to be a gunslinger type who like a lot of young players believed he could make any play and tried to make plays in an awful situatin. It was hard to get a read as Ole Miss's line play was terrible. I watched some of the video footage and there were cases where multiple pass rushers were in the backfield as if there were no blockers. That all said Patterson did something that Michigan QB's could not which is make plays against bad teams. A low bar admittedly. But I am willing to take my chances that a year under Harbaugh will close down some of the mistakes. Patterson's ceiling is certainly higher than Book's. That all said Phil Steele thinks highly of both Wimbush and Patterson. His regard is higher than mine for both. I'm just looking for Tate Fourier plus. If Patterson plays up to Steele's prediction I will take it.

My problem with Wimbush is he had an ideal situation. Unlike Book who make the wrong throw he just made the inaccurate throw. I don't know enough about QB mechanics to make a statement what is correctable and what is not. What I do know is that to throw the ball accurately it is an unnatural movement. Like anything unnatural it requires repetition and practice to maintain. Can this be ingrained in Sept long enough to beat Michigan and get deep into the season or does it go away after the first big hit?
Bad decisions in ideal situations ? please elaborate on such a blanket statement.

Ridiculous to say that book made bad decisions in ideal situations. He had one bad play against Miami right before half. Other than that, he was pretty good. If we say that that constitutes bad decisions, then every qb that ever took a snap makes bad decisions. I’ll go so far as to say that maybe book is a bad decision maker, but to say that based on his limited playing time so far is way over the top. It’s too early to tell if he is a bad decision maker right now.

Ridiculous to say that book made bad decisions in ideal situations. He had one bad play against Miami right before half. Other than that, he was pretty good. If we say that that constitutes bad decisions, then every qb that ever took a snap makes bad decisions. I’ll go so far as to say that maybe book is a bad decision maker, but to say that based on his limited playing time so far is way over the top. It’s too early to tell if he is a bad decision maker right now.
to be honest it was a better play by the miami defensive back. he read the play perfectly. sometimes you tip your hat to the other guy.

to be honest it was a better play by the miami defensive back. he read the play perfectly. sometimes you tip your hat to the other guy.
Echo, you and I both know that is not allowed. There is no way another athlete at another school could make a big play without it being the fault of an ND player, coach, S&C coordinator, Ath. Dir., school president, dean, and chaplain. C'mon man
***hopefully the sarcasm is dripping more than a soaked italian steak sandwich in Chicago...

Echo, you and I both know that is not allowed. There is no way another athlete at another school could make a big play without it being the fault of an ND player, coach, S&C coordinator, Ath. Dir., school president, dean, and chaplain. C'mon man
***hopefully the sarcasm is dripping more than a soaked italian steak sandwich in Chicago...
oh, man. italian steak...... nothing better.

Reactions: NDlb46
Bad decisions in ideal situations ? please elaborate on such a blanket statement.
I'm going by what ND beat writers said about Book as I admit my only film is the last 8 minutes of the bowl game. They gave examples and I took them for their word. My only add was that since ND had a great offensively line and a dominant running game, "passing" becomes an easier thing to do because the defenses are selling out to stop the run. That is an ideal situation to me. ND skill players were more than adequate that if the defense was putting 8 in the box and selling out the run, that is an ideal situation to pass in. So putting two and two together if someone is stating that Book was making bad decisions in what should be an easy read(most passing is play action opportunties) that is where my statement comes from.

I'm going by what ND beat writers said about Book as I admit my only film is the last 8 minutes of the bowl game. They gave examples and I took them for their word. My only add was that since ND had a great offensively line and a dominant running game, "passing" becomes an easier thing to do because the defenses are selling out to stop the run. That is an ideal situation to me. ND skill players were more than adequate that if the defense was putting 8 in the box and selling out the run, that is an ideal situation to pass in. So putting two and two together if someone is stating that Book was making bad decisions in what should be an easy read(most passing is play action opportunties) that is where my statement comes from.
ok. fair enough. i guess everyones " ideal situation " is a matter of opinion.

“I’m going by what ND beat writers said about Book as I admit my only film is the last 8 minutes of the bowl game. They gave examples and I took them for their word. My only add was that since ND had a great offensively line and a dominant running game, "passing" becomes an easier thing to do because the defenses are selling out to stop the run. That is an ideal situation to me. ND skill players were more than adequate that if the defense was putting 8 in the box and selling out the run, that is an ideal situation to pass in. So putting two and two together if someone is stating that Book was making bad decisions in what should be an easy read(most passing is play action opportunties) that is where my statement comes from.”

Fair enough if that’s what the guys that have seen more than us say, but I just think it’s too small a sample size to conclude he’s a bad decision maker. I think he’s played pretty well for his youth & inexperience. And echo, I agree it was a great play by the db but our wr in the middle of the field was wide open for a big gain and/or maybe a td. That and the first miss by wimbush to st brown and maybe that game doesn’t go as sideways as it did.

“I’m going by what ND beat writers said about Book as I admit my only film is the last 8 minutes of the bowl game. They gave examples and I took them for their word. My only add was that since ND had a great offensively line and a dominant running game, "passing" becomes an easier thing to do because the defenses are selling out to stop the run. That is an ideal situation to me. ND skill players were more than adequate that if the defense was putting 8 in the box and selling out the run, that is an ideal situation to pass in. So putting two and two together if someone is stating that Book was making bad decisions in what should be an easy read(most passing is play action opportunties) that is where my statement comes from.”

Fair enough if that’s what the guys that have seen more than us say, but I just think it’s too small a sample size to conclude he’s a bad decision maker. I think he’s played pretty well for his youth & inexperience. And echo, I agree it was a great play by the db but our wr in the middle of the field was wide open for a big gain and/or maybe a td. That and the first miss by wimbush to st brown and maybe that game doesn’t go as sideways as it did.
Oh for sure but I believe the throw he made was the first read. Not unusual for young inexperienced qb's

Reactions: francade
People are too hard on one throw Book made. He wasn’t the starting QB so he had very little of the snaps in practice that week. He had played very little in real game situations up to that point and he was playing against a good defense in a hostile environment. Give him a break people.

There used to be a Michael Jordan commercial that reminds me of this situation. People always remember his game winning shots, but he actually missed more of those shots than he ever made. Book is opposite. He played very well as a young and inexperienced QB against very good competition, but all anyone wants to talk about is one throw against Miami.

Do you remember Brett Favre the gunslinger throwing TDS or that last INT to kill the Vikings in the playoffs.

BTW, definitely not saying Book will ascend to the level of either Jordan or Favre. To define him based on one damn throw though is downright stupid.

Last edited:
Patterson making plays against bad teams as evidence of his greatness made me chuckle though.

Patterson making plays against bad teams as evidence of his greatness made me chuckle though.
Did not say anything about greatness. I have been pretty consistent in my expectation that I just want meat and potatoes from my QB. If Phil Steele is closer to reality I will take caviar instead.

Patterson had a better situation (offensively) at Ole Miss than he will have at Michigan.

That "terrible OL" had a future 1st Rounder at LT....while Michigan may not even have an NFL Draft pick anywhere on the OL.

Furthermore, Ole Miss's WR's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Michigan's WR's

But keep trying to spin Patterson's desire to toss the ball to DBs literally every single time he's faced a decent opponent.

As if you hadn't already proven that you are an idiot homer...... this cements it.

You think most passing is "play action" in a spread system the heavily utilizes RPOs?

Did not say anything about greatness. I have been pretty consistent in my expectation that I just want meat and potatoes from my QB. If Phil Steele is closer to reality I will take caviar instead.

Patterson has been anything but a "meat and potatoes" QB when he's faced decent competition...... and that was when had MUCH better talent around (offensively) than he will at Michigan.

In fact, if you look at his games against Top25 opponents, his passing stats are nearly the same as Wimbush's and he has NEGATIVE rushing production
(plus far, far more turnover)
And that's even counting the stats he piled up against Auburn's walk-ons after he "lead" his team to a 5 TD deficit....in 1 half.

He's never shown that he can be anything but TERRIBLE when he's facing a decent opponent.

We'll see if he can keep that streak alive (at 0/4) on 9/1

Patterson has been anything but a "meat and potatoes" QB when he's faced decent competition...... and that was when had MUCH better talent around (offensively) than he will at Michigan.

In fact, if you look at his games against Top25 opponents, his passing stats are nearly the same as Wimbush's and he has NEGATIVE rushing production
And that's even counting the stats he piled up against Auburn's walk-ons after he "lead" his team to a 5 TD deficit....in 1 half.

He's never shown that he can be anything but TERRIBLE when he's facing a decent opponent.

We'll see if he can keep that streak alive (at 0/4) on 9/1
You should troll Phil Steele. Tell him he is a fool and that you know so much more than he does.

I agree it is put up or shut up for both Harbaugh and Patterson. To the victor go the trolls. ;)

Reactions: ivan brunetti
You should troll Phil Steele. Tell him he is a fool and that you know so much more than he does.

I agree it is put up or shut up for both Harbaugh and Patterson. To the victor go the trolls. ;)

It's not trolling when you just post straight facts.

The fact that delusional homers think facts are trolling just shows what delusional homers they really are.

So are you going to respond the actual facts I posted??

ADVERTISEMENT