ADVERTISEMENT

Here's how the board rated the position groups pre-season ...

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
There were about 10 members who participated in the voting, rating "confidence" level in each position group on a scale of 1-10 prior to the start of the season. I gathered the results and these were the ratings given on aggregate to each group.

I think we were obviously way too high on WR, OL, DE, and Safety. Too low on LB, TE, and CB. LB might be the biggest oversight really as it was probably the strongest group on the team in 2019 while being rated the lowest.

Thoughts on these ratings looking back post season...more importantly what can we learn looking back before going forward ?

qb 8.05
rb 6.30
wr 7.83
te 7.70
ol 7.85
offense 7.55

dt 6.06
de 9.11
lb 5.78
cb 6.75
s 8.33
defense 7.20

Last edited:
Reactions: NDIRISH53
Interesting... The offense underperformed and the defense played better than expected.

Too high on QB and RB. About right on OL until the injuries. Too high overall on offense due to unrealistic expectations of QB and underestimated deficits at RB.

Too high on DE (surprisingly even now). About right on safety, Hamilton made up for surprising drop off of Gilman. Agree under appreciated LB and DT too (after first game). Overall much better run defense than expected.

Not sure there are any reproducible lessons going forward

I don’t think a single offensive position group met expectations consistently throughout the year. Maybe TE although they went vastly underutilized at time as the Book had trouble finding them.

Defensively, there were some misses

LBers. They outperformed.
DT’s might be a hair better as well.
DE - over-rated when we lost Hayes
S - would’ve been over-rated if not for Kyle Hamilton bailing them out.

Too high on QB and RB. About right on OL until the injuries. Too high overall on offense due to unrealistic expectations of QB and underestimated deficits at RB.

Too high on DE (surprisingly even now). About right on safety, Hamilton made up for surprising drop off of Gilman. Agree under appreciated LB and DT too (after first game). Overall much better run defense than expected.

Not sure there are any reproducible lessons going forward

That’s a confusing comment about the Oline? Both injuries were late in the season long after the line proved to be a massive disappointment for the season.

That’s a confusing comment about the Oline? Both injuries were late in the season long after the line proved to be a massive disappointment for the season.
Agree to disagree. Oline was fine on pass protection (qb had happy feet and panicked in the pocket until season effectively over). Run blocking also fine, RB play just well below standard

Agree to disagree. Oline was fine on pass protection (qb had happy feet and panicked in the pocket until season effectively over). Run blocking also fine, RB play just well below standard

Agreed on running back play. Worst I shape that position has been in that I can remember.

Wow this is so far off. Run blocking was pretty terrible. Pass blocking was hit and miss

Reactions: francade
Wow this is so far off. Run blocking was pretty terrible. Pass blocking was hit and miss
I thought pass blocking was pretty good. We couldn't get short yardage gains when we needed to against New Mexico for crying out loud. Our run game was bad this year.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
ADVERTISEMENT